• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player Event) The Peerage of Siege Perilous: [SPHS] Interviews Tanager, Resolute Nudist and New Player Guide!

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Our next Peerage interview features the always bubbly Tanager, a perpetual ray of optimism in General Chat and dedicated helper of Siege newbies. Tanager, a known EM Event Nudist, put on clothes long enough to have a chat with us:

TanUOPD.jpg

[SPHS]: What was your first experience with Ultima Online?

Tanager:
My very first MMO was The Sims Online. When it closed, a friend there said I might like UO's housing, which was very similar. So, I gave the free trial a spin in 2004, and instantly fell in love.

[SPHS]: What brought you to Siege? How long have you played here, and how frequently do you play now?

Tanager: I played Tram for a few years, on different shards for various reasons. My friends all gradually moved on to other realms, and I was ready to leave UO. But, as a lot of people do, I gave Siege a go on my way out the door. I failed miserably lol, and ended up playing EQ2 with a friend for a couple years. But then I came back to UO again. Overall, I've lost about 4 years total of veteran time while playing other MMOs, but I always ended up back in UO in between them. I eventually got the hang of Siege, and it's been my home shard for about 7 years now, I think, minus a couple breaks. I play almost every day, for far too many hours. :D

[SPHS]: In the last month, what did you spend the majority of your game time doing?

I don't really play UO in the proper sense of the word any more. Most of my time is spent chatting, or doing random things that some one needs help with. Guild hunts and quests, player events, BODs for the Artisan Festival later this year, and sometimes things for EM events when there is a way that I can support them. I need some sort of purpose, and I don't like to get repetitive or grindy, so this works out for me with nice variety and unpredictability.

[SPHS]: To date, what has been your best day on Siege?

Tanager: Valentine's Day, 2018. Not gonna say why :p

[SPHS]: Which players do you interact with the most?

Tanager: I spend a fair amount of time just chatting, with just about anyone who has something interesting to talk about. I like to fill my pockets with candy, booze, flowers, and silly things just to make a thief or PK go "wtf?!" I spend most of my time with UWSP tho, and Magichands in particular.

[SPHS]: Are you in a guild, and if so, how many other players are in it? What guilds were you in before this one?

Tanager: I've been in a few Siege guilds over the years, but none really worked out well except for the times I spent as an emissary helping Freja with NEW. and later NEW2. I didn't really fit into any other type of guild, so I was guildless for a long time before opening NOOB. I enjoyed my work with NOOB a lot, but now I have joined UWSP. We have around 15 active players, a handful of semi-active, and a few inactive – plus a bunch of alts. I like their style, and they seem able to tolerate mine :)

[SPHS]: What was the original NEW guild like, and what caused it to end?

Tanager: The original NEW started a wonderful tradition on Siege. It was unique in that the leader had to negotiate with the various murderers and thieves of the land to go easy on new players – and most honored that. The shard as a community took pride in donating time and resources. But RL happens, so the guild changed leadership a couple times, and has had a few other names over the years as other people took up the role. I enjoyed my time working for that cause, because it gave me a purpose in UO. For now, the low population on Siege seems to have made it a bit obsolete.

[SPHS]: What were the biggest challenges to running NOOB? What was your best experience helping, and what would you like to see more of on Siege that would facilitate the new player experience?

Tanager: There are a lot of challenges involved. For me, though, the greatest was trying to get new players to open up and meet Siege. Most wanted to train in private, speak in private, and just over all play in private. Very difficult for them to find their place on Siege that way, and most never did. So the most satisfying part for me was the graduation parties where they had a guild waiting for them. I wish that more people on Siege would speak in General Chat and on forums, because Siege is a LOT larger than it looks but a new player cannot see that.

snugglebuddies.png
(Taylor and Siel's NOOB Graduation)

[SPHS]: If you could pick one player who is no longer on the shard that you could return, who would it be and why?

Tanager: Hm, there are so many. Well, Chad Sexington was before my time, but I'd love to see Barter Town revived and read more sordid tales!

[SPHS]: If you could permanently REMOVE one anything (activity / item / player / encounter / mechanic) from the shard, what would it be and why?

Tanager: The RNG. We don't get along. I hate doing the same thing over and over again in the slim hope that I get the one item I want. I want all critters to always drop their respective special item. All gear would be crafted/imbued, with artifacts, recipes, and extra fancy deco being from repeatable quests (longish quests, with actual goals, so it avoids both grind and scripting). This business with opening a corpse that contains 50 items, each with over a dozen lines of text, has driven me to just play nekked! RNG = grind. There are other ways to make time and gold sinks without the RNG.

[SPHS]: If you could permanently ADD one anything (activity / item / player / encounter / mechanic) from the shard, what would it be and why?

Tanager: Increase the drop rates of artifacts, deco, recipes, and high end power scrolls and primers. The monsters are just as hard to kill, the game needs just as much skill and/or risk - just reduce the pure grind of it all.

[SPHS]: Who is your nemesis, and why is it Malloc?

Tanager: I can usually find something to appreciate in everyone, even if I don't agree with them on most things or enjoy their play style. We all have our reasons for coming to Sosaria, and my reason is not more important than anyone else's. My nemesis is intolerance.

[SPHS]: You are dropped into an IDOC brawl and have time to grab one item. What item would you wish to grab above anything else?

Tanager: IDOCs make me sad, so I usually avoid them unless it was some one I knew. In that case, I prefer to snag a memento of theirs with their name or something they'd want back if they returned.

[SPHS]: What do you use your Siege bless on the most?

Tanager: A tame jewel, or an LRC piece, depending on what I am doing.

[SPHS]: You attended the 20th Anniversary party last year (and met our own Spiffykeen!). What were some memorable moments from that weekend? How many Siege folks did you meet in person?

Tanager: Oh it was a fantastic event! I got to meet so many faces behind the names. Spiffykeen, who was so wonderful to me as I can be a bit shy IRL. I met some GIL folks, a few EMs, people from Stratics, and UO Radio – a lot of people. I was especially happy to meet Kelmo, as he's always been like a pillar of Siege to me. The whole thing was actually very overwhelming for me so I prolly came off a bit cold at times, but it was all so amazing. The wedding was just beautiful, and I loved that I was not the only one to dress up.

[SPHS]: Did you have a chance to talk with Starr and Richard? What surprised you about them? What about the current dev team?

Tanager: Being the nerd that I am, I had made a UO-styled book that I asked folks to sign like a yearbook. Several people had attended the party dressed for the part, so I thought nothing special when I saw two guys in full medieval regalia standing a bit off to the side chatting. I worked my way over to them, collecting a few signatures as I went, and asked if they would sign my book. One of them took the book and pen, then hesitated and asked where to sign. I said anywhere was fine, and I think that was when he realized I had no idea who he was.

Tanager: He grinned as he flipped the cluttered page of names to a blank, clean one with a flourish and scrawled his name across most of it. When I looked at the signature, I had trouble reading it, so I asked who he was in game. He laughed and said Lord British, and I was horrified that I had somehow never learned what the man looked like. I had never in a million years expected him to mingle with the crowd. Well, I had a nerdgasm on the spot (so embarrassing lol, I felt like one of those stupid teenagers you see in old Beetles clips – only a lot quieter). Poor Starr must have felt neglected as he was standing right there, but my brain had basically locked up.

kings2.jpg
(Lord British, Tanager, and Lord Blackthorn)

Tanager: I tried to escape so I could go crawl under a rock, but they literally dragged me back for a photo op even though the autograph session was not supposed to be until after the presentation. I was trying not to explode, so the pic came out a bit silly, but it's one of my favorite of the entire weekend. Actually, it's pretty high up there on my lifetime favorites. They both enjoy playing the roles of royalty, but are very approachable and friendly. They are great storytellers and fun to listen to as they tell their stories – really, not what I had expected at all. I don't know why, but I think I had expected either gawky gamer nerds or corporate jerks lol.

Tanager: Most of the Dev team signed my book when it was autograph time, but they were very busy. I did not really have the chance to speak with them much, except for Bonnie (Mesanna), whom I cornered at the BBQ. To me, it was an honor to meet the people who are keeping my favorite world alive and tell them how much I appreciate them.

[SPHS]: If you could give one piece of advice to new or returning players to Siege, what would it be?

Tanager: Don't be afraid to introduce yourself to folks, in GC and also out in the field. There is no better way to learn who is who and who does what (and doesn't). And if they kill you or loot you or rob you, anger is rarely helpful. Siege will either give you an ulcer, or teach you how to become less attached to mere possesions. :)

Baby Doll

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Silent Singer so you still around I have not seen any new interviews for a while or is it just over?