• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

THE PEEKAY CLICHÉ

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

The "trammy" that wanted wealth &amp; power but did not want to have to risk anything or gosh forbid,actually have his/her pulse race while playing a true MMORPG that was originally based on Pvp.(i wonder if Rainman or many others like him/her even realize that once upon a time there was only Felucca?)

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is really true...then why doesn't Richard Garriot's new game have completely Non-Consensual PvP...since it is "The Bomb" according to you?

Hmmmm?????????

Because the completely Non-Con PvP action nearly destroyed UO...that's why...and RG isn't about to do that to his new game...at least from what I have read/seen.

Seems he learned his lesson about the Anonymous Human Psyche...some others never will.

That is apparent.
<blockquote><hr>

I honestly feel that a large majority of the people that spend all their time outside of Felucca would be much better served if they spent their computer time in a chat room instead of Uo as that is basically all they are doing;chatting. Obviously it shouldnt be any of my concern/business what these people choose to do with their time but unfortunately it is as many of their little rants/issues have huge ramifications on overall gameplay that they never even could have comprehended(again i allude to the fact that when the game was created there was no such place as Trammel/Daycare center)

[/ QUOTE ]

It was probably people just like you that helped create Trammel.

Awww...all your victims and prey go buh bye?

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

Good Freakin Deal Pal.

You or others like you were the ones that truly created Trammel.

Live with it

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been told that my original post was too offensive so i have editted it lol.

Is it just me or do too many people forget that Uo is just a game &amp; not a way of life?
And from day one this glorious game has been about violence good or bad. Violence in the form of pvp and/or pvm. Even supposed non violent classes such as crafters were all just making items to perpetrate more violence(Every vendor shoppe in Fel sold Weapons/Armor/Potions/Reagents for battle. I certainly don't recall many shoppes selling items for aestethic purposes)
They should have named this game A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.
Ohh S#$%,I just remembered that Uo is also an MMORPG &amp; not your little sisters' Playstation.
So what i believe we have here is an MMORPG(do i need to remind all of todays "non Fellucians" what that stands for?) that was created upon violence &amp; player interaction(good or bad)
I wonder how many of todays "non Fellucians" even realize that there actually was a time without Trammel?
I stress this because i truly believe that the crux of ALL Uo pvp/Trammel arguments is this:
Oldtime players(or new players that thankfully picked up on the old values,or lack of)will never forget what this game was like in the beginning and as intended. It was an extremely violent &amp; extremely fun game. People today can twist the past &amp; try to say that the entire shard was unsafe and no fun for anyone but the Pk but that is simply not true. Pk's were just as inexperienced as the group of travellers that banded together to hunt.Sometimes the pk's won &amp; sometimes they got chased off/killed. Good Fun!!
But unfortunately here is where i believe things got bad. some good paying customers that lacked the smarts/guts to band together and prosper decided that they would petition for this MMORPG to become a non MMORPG in all the ways that would benefit them &amp; viola! here comes Trammel.
Why then didnt they just drag their old Playstation out of the toyroom?
Because those people did not belong in Uo &amp; did not want to have their pulse race or heart pound(but wasnt Uo always an action-based MMORPG?)
But What those people(and unfortunately 90% of todays "non Fellucians")wanted was a graphics-based chatroom where they could play dress-up(or what we call Trammel)
Sorry about the rambling nature of this post but have had to leave the keyboard many times lol.
Back to the argument.
Oldtimers resent the fact that the game was twisted for financial reasons and that most all of todays players don't want to play the game as intended but just want to preen around Trammel &amp; BS at a bank.
Some may call this an evolution but i would prefer to call it a departure from the basics.
I realize that the true griefer has always been at the heart of Uo problems &amp; i have 0 respect/tolerance for true griefers but ill be damned if i won't pk/loot/petkill every poor slob that makes the mistake of going through the wrong gate or travelling alone at night(although i always do offer a rezz &amp; never rezzkill unless provoked lol. You would be surprised at how many interesting conversations/friendships are sparked by a simple rezz even after the pk/loot/petkill)
Long live Alice Cooper/JD,Einstein,&amp; all the other rampant Pker's of yore!!

*Btw, great post Rainman!
Even though i will never understand how a you expect to victimize and provide fun at the same time? Huhza?
Peace out

I

imported_Kallie Pigeon

You forgot the important concept of how does a non pvper beat a pvper in this game?

Scenario
Pk's suck I don't want to die from pk's

Don't go out of town.

Nah I just learned ways to leave town that did not result in pk action. I left through the least used gate and stayed off the roads.

Yeah but that is so boring.

Nah I go to places where pk's don't frequent and have a good time without them. I am also ready to recall out on the appearance of any player since you know blues often scout for pk's.

The answer to the question above, How does a non pvper beat a pvper? By not engaging in pvp. DUH That is so simple. Anyone wanting to play in Felucca now could use the same tactics I am sure though I choose not to bother with it.

P

palidor13

Wow, this brings back memories.
I remember reading this when it was originally posted.

I'm not really interested in adding to the debate but I would like to say a couple of things. I came to UO in mid '98, a few months before the release of T2A. I remember what it was like back then. I have never had any interest in PvP (strictly PvM and crafting) but I remember being horrified at the notion of Trammel when the idea was first introduced. But there were reasons that it came about. While there are many who enjoyed PvP, or PKing, or PK hunting, etc. there were many that didn't want anything to do with it. People who only wanted to PvM, which would have been fine, however were forced into PvP situations even though they didn't want to play "that" game. For some, they got angry and learned to fight back. Others got angry and would quit the game. Still others (like myself) basically got on with life because it was part of the game. Trammel came about for a couple of reasons, one to satisfy those players that didn't want to PvP under any circumstance and also as a way to add housing space. I myself, while I didn't support the Trammel idea, moved to Trammel the day it opened because it made no real sense to stay in Felucca. I didn't PvP and I didn't have a house placed in Felucca (though I did share a house with a few friends). PKing was never a problem for me (just an occasional nuisense) but the people that I played the game with at the time had some big issues with it and thus they moved.
Okay, I've rambled enough (its late so I'm not sure if any of that made sense). The main thing I wanted to say was there was a big change in the game the day Trammel opened: social interaction died. Prior to Trammel I and my friends initially banded together for "safety in numbers". Post Trammel I and my brother started to hunt solo more and more, as did many others. In the end, without the threat of dying and loosing everthing, people stopped needing to interact with each other and played the game on their own. Many quit due to the boredom this created for them. In some ways Trammel made UO better for many people but it also hurt the game and community in many ways.

In closing: I don't know if I'm making sense or if I really had a point here. I'm just making some observations and pontificating probably just for the hell of it. Heck, I'll probably read this post in the morning and delete it.

Then again probably not.

In the end, everyone is right and wrong. It's all just a matter of why you play the game and how your perspective skews why you think everyone else plays. We all play for different reasons and all get different thrills here.

M

Magneto2272

<blockquote><hr>

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!! You took up that much room to defend pking, when there is no defense! Pker's are just griefers who ruin the game for others....

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not completely true im happy to say.... there are players like myself who go out and PK the PK'S........

there are a handfull of people like myself who dispense justice as we see fit. some pk drobe someone five times? guess what happens next? some associates of mine and i get on OUR reds, find the arsehole, and grief him and his jackazz friends right back..... i do it daily and i enjoy it thoroughly