• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] The next rares festival...

D

DVI

Has anyone stepped up and volunteered to hold it, and if so, do we know where it is to be held?

T

Trevelyan

Thunderz and I discussed Europa briefly. Europa would be a cool place to have it :)

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thunderz and I discussed Europa briefly. Europa would be a cool place to have it :)
Europa already hosted the rares festival once. I would prefer to see a shard that hasn't had the opportunity to host it, get that chance.

Don't hate me Trevelyan and Thunderz! :(

:sword:

BlissMarie

C

Curran

Europa already hosted the rares festival once. I would prefer to see a shard that hasn't had the opportunity to host it, get that chance.

Don't hate me Trevelyan and Thunderz! :(

:sword:

BlissMarie
Bliss is volunteering Napa... :p

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
legends could use the charity that these events bring to the economy. it's an older shard with a serious economy problem due to an exodus of players leaving for better east coast shards.

Apetul

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lake Superior!!!!!

ps: no, im not volenteering at all hehe

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My vote is for a shard with a half-decent population. While many of us do buy from each other, the shard population factors in. I know the rares festival is focused on this community, but our interaction with the global community at the festival allows folks to be introduced to collecting, get questions about their items answered, etc. Just my personal opinion.

Perhaps we can have shard teams submitting their festival 'bid' of events/location/etc and let the community vote on which one gets to host based on what they want to include, how they'll handle it, location, vendor space etc..

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it possible to make a list of the last ten shards to have it?
I think it should stay on well populated shards, as well. =[ Sorry baby shards. It requires quite a bit of effort from the community in that shard.

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bliss is volunteering Napa... :p
Huh?!

Nuh-uh, not me! If I were to try to host a rares festival, it would be a complete fiasco!

Ultimately, I don't care where the rare's festival is held. If it gets set up anywhere, I will go. Unless I finally follow through with my talk of quitting.

I have said I was leaving more than once, but something has always ended up making me want to stay a while longer.

Rares Fests are one of the things I really enjoy in the game. They are lots of fun!

BlissMarie

D

DVI

In the order in which they occured.

1. Atlantic

2. Lake Superior

3. Europa

4. Atlantic

5. Atlantic

6. Great Lakes

7. Pacific

8. Chesapeake

As you can see the majority of the "well populated" shards has hosted at least one festival. Shards I would recommend would be the following:

Catskills
Napa Valley - Assuming it is as populated as I've been led to believe.
An Asian Shard - There are some obvious difficulties there, but I would really like to see one take place.
Europa/Lake Superior - Yes they have had the opportunity to host one already, but it was several years ago, and if we've exhausted all relatively populated shards then it would make sense to start over.

Before someone jumps up to host one, I'd just like to remind you that it is a major undertaking that requires a huge time commitment. Not only during the event, but prior to it as well. If you do decide you would like to host one though, the best advice I can offer is to speak to those have have hosted a festival and find out what advice they have to offer, what they did that was well received, what they would do differently etc.

[DVI]

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the order in which they occured.

An Asian Shard - There are some obvious difficulties there, but I would really like to see one take place.
I started to mention having it on an Asian shard. I'm glad you brought it up! I would love for one to be held over there!

Before someone jumps up to host one...
I think you should volunteer to get the next one up and running, DVI. You know all that is required and you are thoroughly experienced in that area. Plus, you have connections. You could recruit the most capable experienced volunteers. Perhaps the experienced recruits could work alongside of some brand new volunteers, teaching them the rares fest ropes.

BlissMarie

D

DVI

Were one to be held on an asian shard I'd probably try to enlist Peil to host it, or I would have a friend on Sakura help me

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since this Rares fest went better and the hosts have better ideas of what to do, I'd love to see it return to Pacific. Got a bad rap last time due to some off sharders being nastey... I think one on Napa would be good, though. =]

N

NewThunder

The issue for me and the Asian shards is lag. Catsklls would be a nice shard with a good sized player base. Perhaps Flutter would be up to getting it organized.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would suggest Blue Amber on Wokuko she has experiences running vendor malls and is an avid collector and perhaps she knows the Seers there to help out as they love to get really involved in community sponsored events. Or try Orc he has lots of connections on Arrirang and Balahe.

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Originally, I wanted to try to have the festival on Catskills in the first of 2011, but seeing that no one really was stepping up here, I have reach out to a few people on Catskills to form our "committee" for organizing, as Demonous and others did before.

So far, I've received feedback from some great members of our community here in their willingness to help with it.

I'll tentatively throw Catskill's name in the hat, and will follow up in this thread as I get more information.

NUMBER ONE QUESTION: By our current standards, what month would the next festival fall in?

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NUMBER ONE QUESTION: By our current standards, what month would the next festival fall in?[/QUOTE]

Normally, you want to have a festival after at least one major shard wide event so that all kinds of things could be brought to the festival by players. The next big shard wide event I am anticipating would be Halloween. So sometime in November but before Thanksgiving. If that's case, not only will it be 4 months from now but also after a major event. I think there will be a lot of new items by then. Some may argue then why not have it after Thanksgiving or Christmas but I think that's too long of a wait since it'll push it into January.

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First of November would be good for us. I've spoken to Flutter and also to our local auction house and both have pledged support. Also mentioned it to our EM and of course, he said he'd be there with bells on for anything we needed!

I'm not assuming that we'll get the festival, but if it is supported by the members of the community, then we'd be happy to start planning!

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The issue for me and the Asian shards is lag. Catsklls would be a nice shard with a good sized player base. Perhaps Flutter would be up to getting it organized.
The lag can be bad, but as a rule, it doesn't have much of an impact when someone is stocking or browsing vendors. For me, speed isn't much of an issue at rares festivals. Then again, I might be less active than the average bear. I tend to do a lot of standing around, spending time, spending money and observing others.

BlissMarie

F

Fraggles

BEC guild on Lake superior is welling to host a rares fest on LS. we can supply the houses, we have 3 set up where you could shop from them all standing at one location. and we could have an auction house as well. the location is S of luna in a spawn free area. with help from some rares fests vets i think it woud be very sucsessful. i know that this guild has not been active in the rares community very much but it is a well know and respected guild.Perhaps Dragan Slayer or another well known figure of the comunity would be willing to help out with the auction so there is no problem with trust. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

D

DVI

I hardly experience any lag in asia, at least not anything that prevents me from playing and enjoying the game while there.

D

DVI

Also, as was suggested earlier, by assia? I think that those interested in holding the festival should nominate their shard with a plan and then the community can vote.

magicmule

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would fully support and help organize the festival with you Fraggles. I would love to have the festival on my home shard. thought I am very new to collecting I feel this would be great experience for me:>

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im all for an asian shard rares fest, just dont have events that involve us running around :) this past chesapeake festival has the most asian players ive ever seen at a rares festal, 8 american ones, i think the asian shards are long overdue, also scheduling events might be problematic because of huge time differences but im sure something can be worked out

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well...since no one else will say it...and many of those who posted think the same...

There are too many rares fests...period. Compared to fests of the past, this last one was lacking the items. I saw mass amounts of gumballs and holiday drops but as far as true rares (whether it be EM, server births...what have you) they were lacking.

Perhaps wait a while longer and turn this into a two a year event rather than three or four.

N

NorCal Uo Dealer

I think Napa would be a good spot.. there are a few good Rares Collectors that own Large luna houses including myself

D

DVI

I think Napa would be a good spot.. there are a few good Rares Collectors that own Large luna houses including myself
I may have misunderstood what you are trying to say, but the festival was never meant to take place in Luna, and those held else where have shown that it makes for a better event.

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well...since no one else will say it...and many of those who posted think the same...

There are too many rares fests...period. Compared to fests of the past, this last one was lacking the items. I saw mass amounts of gumballs and holiday drops but as far as true rares (whether it be EM, server births...what have you) they were lacking.

Perhaps wait a while longer and turn this into a two a year event rather than three or four.
I saw tons of items on this one and alot of items on the auction.

BTW, uou can have two-a-year fest events.... just.. attend only 2 per year :)

yanaki2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i second napa valley, it would be nice for the old girl to get some attention, and there still is a decent playerbase around. i would be mroe then happy to donate vender space at my trammel castle and let whomever wants to set everything up use the space if needed.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I saw tons of items on this one and alot of items on the auction.

BTW, uou can have two-a-year fest events.... just.. attend only 2 per year :)
*shakes head*

Seems I am the only one who is willing to speak out about this...even though at least three others in the thread feel as I do.

yanaki2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and in responce to the person complaining about not enough true rares and hard to find em items there was a ton of them this time, perhaps the most ive ever seen at a rares fest, i know i spend 500+ mil and i didnt scratch the surface.

but i did come away with :

217 potted plants (hey i collect them!)
7 scattered hay
2 open books
leggings of the phoenix
bloody bandage
almost complete set of necro regs bought individually
about 40 past event items ive missed

a ton of other stuff and i finnaly completed my rubble large bed. so all in all it was very enjoyable for me.

and besides the items at auction almost all of them being very awesome there was a ton of items that i sew up there:

tray
kettle
2 skull mugs
2 ceramic mugs
3 more bloody bandages
5-6 open books
at least 2 more scattered hay
a wood curl
a singing ball
rubble boat peices
rubble ruined bookcase
rubble open book
rubble saddle
a kettle
and at least 20-30 more i dont remember and a multitude of nice high end event items.

so yay! rares fest!!!!!!!!!!

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess people just don't have long term memory of fests past. BTW, it was not a complain so much as an eye opener I was offering...as I only speak my mind where I believe it is feasible to speak up.

Tom_Builder

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I may have misunderstood what you are trying to say, but the festival was never meant to take place in Luna, and those held else where have shown that it makes for a better event.
I would help with one on Napa, If it was held there. I also wouldnt worry about housing, I know a few good spots where it could be setup. The only problem I have is I cant play at night (work). But I'm free everyday.

Tom

Graywand

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If one is held on Napa I would volunteer.

As far as there being to many festivals... I think it should be quarterly. Unless I'm mistaken the festival isn't about seeing how many uber leet multi-gajillion gp rares make an appearance... it's about promoting the hobby and getting the community together. Unless you wish to have a small community you need to bring in new blood. You do that by lowering the barriers to entry. I know there are people that disparage the new "vending machine" event items, but I for one love them. They may not be uber leet rares, but new people join the fold because they are attainable. They don't prevent unique event items from dropping, just look at the season eight list. There are a ton of unique items dropping.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I am happy to help on Catskills any way I can. =)

T

Trevelyan

I actually agree with RC here - I was thinking last night.. where the hell are all the marble tables, mandrake roots and stuff? I sold a kettle there, there were a few open books, a ceramic mug, some hay.. and a couple of bits of Phoenix legs. But I noticed how many of the mass-made EM items there were for sale.. hell its mostly all I sold :D

There was a distinct lack of old "true rares" I think, given how it is supposed to be a rares fest. Maybe the popularity could be attributed to the more recent influx of event-related items in the last year or so (and subsequent collectors) versus the inevitable stagnation of the true rares market (eventually someone will end up keeping an item and not selling it).

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also think that there are too many festivals. I personally feel anything more than twice a year is too much but thats probably just me.

The Scandinavian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey,

welcome back Tomas.

And BTW.
Naaah,it's not to much.
As Apetul said,you can always choose to not attend.
rolleyes:

Better to transfer once every 4 months and buy to you drop than doing it more often because of the lack of festivals.
But maybe the transfer gold is just an issue to us poor smiths...

I do however agree that there are to few old items.

Regards
The Scandinavian

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alot of people expects to find "true" rares, rare server births, seer items... but how many of these people will stock his vendor with seer/old items on rares fest? Oh no, the seer/old items are very locked down into museums. Everyone likes old stuff, I still have not met a collector that *only* collects newer EM items .

Another kind of items that interest the mayority of collectors are the ones that *still* have a different graphic that the common items currently spawning. Examples are: 2 story statues, some server births, mandrake root, ginseng, marble tables, etc. Im sure that some people has seen these kind of items in vendors on a rares fest 2-3 years ago but the fact is that economy on UO has changed ALOT and vendors cannot sell those items because the restriction of 100m x item. Even some rubble worth more than 100m nowadays.

Just my toughts.

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alot of people expects to find "true" rares, rare server births, seer items... but how many of these people will stock his vendor with seer/old items on rares fest? Oh no, the seer/old items are very locked down into museums. Everyone likes old stuff, I still have not met a collector that *only* collects newer EM items .

Another kind of items that interest the mayority of collectors are the ones that *still* have a different graphic that the common items currently spawning. Examples are: 2 story statues, some server births, mandrake root, ginseng, marble tables, etc. Im sure that some people has seen these kind of items in vendors on a rares fest 2-3 years ago but the fact is that economy on UO has changed ALOT and vendors cannot sell those items because the restriction of 100m x item. Even some rubble worth more than 100m nowadays.

Just my toughts.
I believe Mantocore only collects new items.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

lacking items? there were probably around 80 high end rares displayed in the auction house, a lot of very good items being sold on vendors as well, as far as i know, you are the only one complaining about items, you complained when i first posted on the chesapeake forum saying am I sure there should be another one so soon? yes i was sure because it turned out to be one of the best rares festivals and people enjoyed it a lot, theres are too many EM events occurring for there to 2 rares fests a year these days, too many event items that people want, i have no problem attending 4 a year

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought the rares festival had many good items. I picked up two drinks I didn't have and two other event items I had been interested in. While the selection may not have been what you were interested in, I was excited to get two drinks I didn't have.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
To those who are saying there are too many Rares Festivals.
Aren't we talking about not having the next one until November? (Catskills we are hoping)
That's several months away. (4 Months?)
If you all really think that's too soon when should the next one be?

T

Turles

people are saying there wasnt any older rares all i sold was old rares ruined painting, singing balls nerco regs, old double blessed clothing, the shattered gem an so on. so everyone wasnt just selling new em items my stuff just sold very quickly cause i priced it at what it should have been an not over priced.

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also think that there are too many festivals. I personally feel anything more than twice a year is too much but thats probably just me.
I completely agree with this, I was just talking about this with a fellow Rares collector on my shard the other day!

G

Gunga_Din

Every 3 months is fine. Waiting every 6 months is not gonna increase the amount of server births or true rares only the amount of EM items. Plus, having them 4 times a year increases the chance that a collector may choose to sell something off. Festival coming up, they might look at their rares and decide to sell one. Its like a mind check 4 times a year.

Twice a year would not help and only flood the vendors with more EM and holiday stuff. I myself don't want to wait every 6 months, I look forward to seeing whats available. I might have missed out on my festival of grape glass if it was every 6 months :) Maybe the seller couldnt make it then or he would make a different deal waiting so long for the festival.

There has been plenty of quality items the past festivals and those that don't see something....probably missed out by someone else buying the item as soon as it was put up.

Did you guys see the spittoon? the unlit skull candle, tray, ceramic mug, skull mug, kettle, Deed to a Large Smithy, [exceptional] items? How about the rares house? Plenty there. Single Malt Whiskey, Festival of Grape Glass [thought i'd never get one of these] etc.

Plenty of quality, stop the crying and enjoy quarterly gatherings.

End of discussion. Lock thread now.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lacking items? there were probably around 80 high end rares displayed in the auction house, a lot of very good items being sold on vendors as well, as far as i know, you are the only one complaining about items, you complained when i first posted on the chesapeake forum saying am I sure there should be another one so soon? yes i was sure because it turned out to be one of the best rares festivals and people enjoyed it a lot, theres are too many EM events occurring for there to 2 rares fests a year these days, too many event items that people want, i have no problem attending 4 a year
80 items is not many compared to years passed. I used to see high end items on what seemed to be every vendor. I am not by any means complaining, however I am expressing my opinion...everyone is entitled to one no?

One thing you didn't notice was the sheer number of unsold items and *rage selling*...people just didnt have the gold. Why? Well...when 50 billion + leaves the community to be dispersed throughout the game it leaves the collectors with less to spend.

As far as giving people the opportunity to trade and buy items...we do that all the time without the need of a rares fest every 4 months. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy rares fest as much as the next person...but lets look at this from a practical standpoint...not from a personal one.

G

Gunga_Din

Do you not get it ? Most of the collectors are not gonna sell there best items unless they have doubles or duplicates.

When the festivals first started, there was a better chance to get an item. But now people are so specialized and want stuff for their museums and don't want to let go of anything.

I think of it this way. Early on you might have people not really collectors but owners of rares that were willing to sell items for gold they might use to make uber suits by weapons, castles, keeps etc. They kept these items but were not die hard collectors.

So, they sell a rare to someone that has tons of gold in reserve and no desire or need to then resell that rare ever again. What ends up happening is all the rares get into the hands of elite collectors never to be resold again.

But overall, its natural for there to be less and less server births available as they change hands and end up with those that will never sell.

Simple as that.