• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The new heads on spikes (spoiler pic warning!)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
This was an amazing idea. So awesome.

Reactions: S_S

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I havent had any time to log in for a bit and see these but looking at the pic here of these "heads on pikes" makes me wonder why cant we have the old bounty system back where you could kill a player and take his head etc???????????
Last i heard was that the bounty system etc was removed so this game wouldnt have a Mature rating to play or someones mom was complaining blah blah blah, but if any of that is true, looking at these images seems to be far more disturbing and deserving of a Mature label for the game than any old bounty system!
If they can put images like these out now and not worried about some kids mom (if any kids play this game anymore) trying to raise hell THEN BRING BACK THE OLD BOUNTY SYSTEM OR SOMETHING SIMILAR PLEASE! There is no reason to keep this game "PG" anymore especially if you are going to use images like these! I for one would love to see more blood/gore type stuff and the old bounty system back as you can see from above ;)

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I havent had any time to log in for a bit and see these but looking at the pic here of these "heads on pikes" makes me wonder why cant we have the old bounty system back where you could kill a player and take his head etc???????????
Last i heard was that the bounty system etc was removed so this game wouldnt have a Mature rating to play or someones mom was complaining blah blah blah, but if any of that is true, looking at these images seems to be far more disturbing and deserving of a Mature label for the game than any old bounty system!
If they can put images like these out now and not worried about some kids mom (if any kids play this game anymore) trying to raise hell THEN BRING BACK THE OLD BOUNTY SYSTEM OR SOMETHING SIMILAR PLEASE! There is no reason to keep this game "PG" anymore especially if you are going to use images like these! I for one would love to see more blood/gore type stuff and the old bounty system back as you can see from above ;)
I never understood why the bounty system was removed. It wasn't at all the "worst" thing in UO as far as "Game Ratings". I mean hello... we murder other people in Felucca everyday. I am all for returning the bounty system.

~ Sue.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe the Bounty System was removed in part because it was broken as hell? People were just killing their friends for the bounty.

It was easy to abuse, and was a broken system. I think sometimes peoples memories start to get fuzzy

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe the Bounty System was removed in part because it was broken as hell? People were just killing their friends for the bounty.

It was easy to abuse, and was a broken system. I think sometimes peoples memories start to get fuzzy
Yes, but that was a minority. Most of the folks really looked at the bounty standings as a badge of honor, especially for the murderers. It was like being on the FBI's Most Wanted List. I still think it shouldn't have been removed. Everything you think about has a way for someone to exploit it. I mean are you going to tell me that Champ Spawns aren't exploited? Come on.

~ Sue.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, but that was a minority. Most of the folks really looked at the bounty standings as a badge of honor, especially for the murderers. It was like being on the FBI's Most Wanted List. I still think it shouldn't have been removed. Everything you think about has a way for someone to exploit it. I mean are you going to tell me that Champ Spawns aren't exploited? Come on.

~ Sue.
Minority? What universe were you living in back then?

The bounty board didn't mean a damned thing.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Maybe on your shard, but on ours it sure did. Dantrag held the top spot in our bounty board for like 14 months... people chased him all the time to try to take it from him. My guild leader was his girlfriend back then, so we were closely tied to his guild, Xiled from Humanity. She was co-gm with him because she helped to build the community and expand it, he did all the in game stuff with the guild. So it was not the same for every shard. Some had great experiences with the system, some didn't.

You know, there is no need to be rude in your replies. I am not rude to you.

~ Sue.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never understood why the bounty system was removed. It wasn't at all the "worst" thing in UO as far as "Game Ratings". I mean hello... we murder other people in Felucca everyday. I am all for returning the bounty system.

~ Sue.

As I recall the deal was that like in Germany no games could depict dismemberment. That was why it was taken out.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know, there is no need to be rude in your replies. I am not rude to you.

~ Sue.
I am not being rude, I am being realistic. I understand nostalgia very frequently clouds the minds of people on Stratics. We dont need to bring back old broken system from 10+ years ago.

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The bounty system was fun. Maybe it was abused but I never even thought tht way during those times I played to have fun not to exploit things. As someone posted above most things added to this game get abused.....factions????? ;) It is also why I added that maybe bring it back with some tweaks. I mean I don't need a reward for turning in bountys, it is the fun of it that I like. If they brought it back without reward or payment I'd still use the system, collect peoples heads, turn in some and have fun. As I type this I just had an idea maybe bountys could be setup per city and people could turn them in for city loyalty only? Each town could setup their bountys and you turn them into that town for loyalty? Anyhow the bounty system was fun and wasn't canceled due to abuse it was definitely due to the violence/dismemberment etc. I do remember that. I'd just love to have it back again with or without reward to limit any "abuse" you say, makes no difference to me. It was fun and entertaining.

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh and they are bringing back chaos/order wars (TWEAKED) why not bring back bountys? All I know is it was the best time I ever had playing UO, during chaos/order wars and the bounty days.

Ps. Sorry for turning this thread into bounty revival. I saw the pic and the memory just hit me. :/

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The bounty system was removed from what I understand because some foreign countries outlaw the desecration of a corpse..... as in the act of doing it not it already being done.... so it was removed.

Which is fine because it was highly abused anyway. Though personally I'd rather there was a way to prove you killed X Murderer... Not really needing their head but I should think getting a deed that said you gained Justice from dropping X Murderer... could be fun. Murderers of course could then get a deed saying "I killed X"... But you know that's just me.

I also would like to see consequence to action but again that's me.

As for the heads on a pike I think they are awesome!

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I don't know what universe you lived in, but after Sonoma's Dark Purist racked up 100, 200, then nearly 400 counts, it was a record others wanted to break, and a head others wanted to turn in.

Maybe we just used the bounty board as it was meant to be, that's all.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll add that "100, 200, then nearly 400 counts" was not too long after the Rep system was introduced, in case you think "That was no big deal for a few years."

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm surprised at the some of the lack of wider perspective in this thread; a bounty system was introduced for High Seas. But it involves killing or capturing NPCs, and it doesn't involve using a head for proof. Thus if there is a problem it's not with a bounty system, but in how we the players reacted to it, or elements of it. And human nature sadly doesn't change all that quickly.

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm surprised at the some of the lack of wider perspective in this thread; a bounty system was introduced for High Seas. But it involves killing or capturing NPCs, and it doesn't involve using a head for proof. Thus if there is a problem it's not with a bounty system, but in how we the players reacted to it, or elements of it. And human nature sadly doesn't change all that quickly.
U said it capturing npcs. That isnt and wasnt any fun to me as well im not a big boat person in UO. I would like to go after players not npcs and collecting some of the named heads was fun as well. Hey it could possibly eliminate all this "i killed u in pvp type stuff in gen chat and the other party says no u didnt". Now u can get the heads for proof.....Collect many to show how many times u killed ur arch enemy type stuff ;)
I just see a lot of fun in bringing it back.

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Oh and they are bringing back chaos/order wars (TWEAKED) why not bring back bountys? All I know is it was the best time I ever had playing UO, during chaos/order wars and the bounty days.

Ps. Sorry for turning this thread into bounty revival. I saw the pic and the memory just hit me. :/
Pre-cast days for me.

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So it looks like there are 11 total? I only have gotten 2, Bleak and Troublemaker so far.

(psst, puts that train back on the original track...bad UHall train for falling off) :)

Last edited:

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm confused, do these heads come from Trick or Treat or from begging skill?

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm confused, do these heads come from Trick or Treat or from begging skill?
They come from trick or treating, but you need to have skill in begging to have a chance at these.

kaiya_uo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So it looks like there are 11 total? I only have gotten 2, Bleak and Troublemaker so far.

(psst, puts that train back on the original track...bad UHall train for falling off) :)
i have duplicates you will end up with a set you know that :p