• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The new faction system already a failure?

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not much is known about the new faction system, its not on prod shards, not on test center nor do we know its design documents. The current faction system has its obvious flaws, one might be more sever than other. Im not going to generalize, but atleast on Europa shard we have people in three different factions on three accounts. It would surprise me if this wasnt the case on other shards aswell. Many people today have close to no loyalty when it comes to faction, one week this another that, one account this, another that.

It doesnt matter who win the sigils and towns, people will just log on the factionaccount which "rule the world". This kinda render the faction objective useless, who would stay in their HQ for six hours guarding sigils anyway, if all you gotta do is to log on another faction char later and still "have towns" ? It seems people today are more interested in the killings than loyalty of their faction.

So the question is, how to deal with this?
Is the concept of controlling towns gotten old, maybe better off with a guildwars system?

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not much is known about the new faction system,
This here is enough to tell you that we can't even speculate if it is or not because we know nothing about it.

We just have to wait and see. Or you do, I'll be selling my account shortly.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
people dont pay enough for uo accts, better off sitting on it.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
people dont pay enough for uo accts, better off sitting on it.

Wasn't worried about getting equivalent value, I know it probably wont happen. We'll see what happens after I'm finished stripping it down.

L

Lord Strahd

To get back on subject...

I think that the faction wars need a revamp. As the original poster mentioned there are loop holes in the system (multiple accounts equates to flipping) and also major flaws in the funtionality (waiting 10 hours or more to get a town to flip status). I mean realy who would be on guard duty so long? Its a game not a job.

So the best way to do this would be to cut down on the impact of the loop holes, and soften the penalties abit when it comes to the timers. This system when it was implemented was before Trammel rule set was introduced and the game has changed alot since the original vision.

Also we probly should talk about rewards for factions. You have to make the ends justify the means. Pvp for the sake of nothing else is very hallow and it doesnt hold peoples interest. People want to affect and alter the world in a meaningful way, and I dont think the system as is realy does this.

Also I dont like how that Faction guilds cant ally with other non faction guilds. This excludes them out of communites because lets be honest there are not any faction based communities out there. That is a heavy penalty for roleplayers who want to do faction wars and still be part of a community.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pvp for the sake of nothing else is very hallow and it doesnt hold peoples interest.
That is a pretty inaccurate blanket statement.

Just because it doesn't hold your interest doesn't mean it doesn't hold anyone's interest.

PvP is the only reason I still log in once and a while.

The storyline behind it all makes no difference to me.

C

Cloak&Dagger

That is a pretty inaccurate blanket statement.

Just because it doesn't hold your interest doesn't mean it doesn't hold anyone's interest.

The storyline behind it all makes no difference to me.

Have to agree with Lynk for the most part, pvp holds most peoples interests by itself just fine, but then Lynk I am not sure but I do not think he meant a story had to be present, but more like pvp activities that created reasons to pvp, in which case I think might be nice. It is sort of like what Factions did for pvp in the beginning, people use to fight over the sigils, defend their base and towns. This might bring more interest to pvp, or at least make the pvp more interesting, which if that is what he was saying I would also have to agree with him that adding a little flavor to the situation would be nice.

C

Cloak&Dagger

To get back on subject...

I think that the faction wars need a revamp. As the original poster mentioned there are loop holes in the system (multiple accounts equates to flipping) and also major flaws in the funtionality (waiting 10 hours or more to get a town to flip status). I mean realy who would be on guard duty so long? Its a game not a job.

So the best way to do this would be to cut down on the impact of the loop holes, and soften the penalties abit when it comes to the timers. This system when it was implemented was before Trammel rule set was introduced and the game has changed alot since the original vision.

Also we probly should talk about rewards for factions. You have to make the ends justify the means. Pvp for the sake of nothing else is very hallow and it doesnt hold peoples interest. People want to affect and alter the world in a meaningful way, and I dont think the system as is realy does this.

Also I dont like how that Faction guilds cant ally with other non faction guilds. This excludes them out of communites because lets be honest there are not any faction based communities out there. That is a heavy penalty for roleplayers who want to do faction wars and still be part of a community.
Lets see now....Timer use to be 24 hours, and tons of people use to guard them, and tons use to attack.
Edit: I can assume you were not around when people would call other people to tell them the base was being raided? It was not "sit for 24 hours" it was "stay as long as you can to defend" and someone was always there to defend.

And if guilds want allies then they should convince other guilds to join factions. Either you do not know the affects of the non-faction alliances or you wish to take advantage of such situations. There have been "some" proposed idea's for how to try and fix the problem, But all of those ideas require the non-faction guild to be subject to faction rules. So why not just join factions, all the negative affects of factions and none of the benefits does not sound like a ton of guilds will be jumping to ally with faction guilds.

L

Lord Strahd

Right... Maybe if you had more reasons to log in and the PvP was richer, maybe you would log in more than "once and a while"?

Also if your going to imply that I am making blanket staments, then maybe explain what im trying to cover up with my words. What you quoted looks pretty straight forward to me.

Maybe what YOU should have said was " Just because im the only dude out there liking Factions doesnt mean everyone else is liking factions too".

That would be more of an accurate statement ... If thats what your looking for.

And just what is it about factions in its current state thats got you hopping on "once and a while"?

L

Lord Strahd

Lets see now....Timer use to be 24 hours, and tons of people use to guard them, and tons use to attack.
Edit: I can assume you were not around when people would call other people to tell them the base was being raided? It was not "sit for 24 hours" it was "stay as long as you can to defend" and someone was always there to defend.
This is from a time when there wasn't trammel and factions was brand new right out of the box, and something that happened YEARS ago.

As the situation now...at least whats going on chessy. There is a dude here and there at the moon gate to fight. And you almost never even see anyone in the faction strongholds.

IT sure looks like a broke and unused system to me. One that is not fun and needs alot of work to get it revived in a way that people will want to give it another chance.

I cant understand why anyone would try and defend the system in its current state. Unless maybe your and idiot.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right... Maybe if you had more reasons to log in and the PvP was richer, maybe you would log in more than "once and a while"?
No, if I didn't have other obligations I would log in more frequently. I'd rather fight people in the open field at yew gate, or any open field, than cast para and psn fields trying to break a base defense.

I'm not saying what you PvP for is stupid, I'm just saying that I PvP for the fight.

L

Lord Strahd

I'm not saying what you PvP for is stupid, I'm just saying that I PvP for the fight
Exactly what fight are you talking about....there isnt anything more than a duel going on my shard.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Unless maybe your and idiot.
For one, I did not defend the system as it is, I simply pointed out the system is not flawed for as long as it "was not" flawed. Or rather if the system worked, then the system still works. And it was also during trammel age that factions were still doing fine. I am not saying the system currently is appealing in a way that people actually "participate" in faction things. Please look at where I posted my reply to Lynk about how things to do would be nice.
Basically, it is unused but not broken. Alas, though, It will need to be completely redone to capture the current player bases attention, More importantly the ones who only play for tangible rewards. Not that it would appeal to the previously mentioned players but I think better reasons to control towns could up the system, and also have it affect both sets of towns (if you own brit in fel, then what ever happens in fel brit should happen in tram brit) which could bring more people to the party assuming proper implementation.

Secondly, If you are going to try and drop the "idiot" or "stupid" remarks, at least do it properly so you do not look like one yourself. (see quote above)

On a side note, doesn't Lynk play on chessy? I know I get confused with who plays where on occasion.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see how you can call it a failure before you know even the most basic things about it. All we know is they are moving bases, cutting down to 3 factions and completely renaming them.

I wish they would tell us what they are doing. What if we run into a situation where they have it all ready for testing and everyone says they hate it. This is why most MMos don't hide the details of their big changes.

G

Gowron

This is from a time when there wasn't trammel and factions was brand new right out of the box, and something that happened YEARS ago.

Either factions came after the trammel split, or it was the "catalyst" or "storyline" for the split.

As the situation now...at least whats going on chessy. There is a dude here and there at the moon gate to fight. And you almost never even see anyone in the faction strongholds.

IT sure looks like a broke and unused system to me. One that is not fun and needs alot of work to get it revived in a way that people will want to give it another chance.

Is it broke or just unused?

I cant understand why anyone would try and defend the system in its current state. Unless maybe your and idiot.
Assuming someone is an idiot because they disagree with you is an indicator of idiocy in and of itself.

Of course, I believe that faction fighting would be more interesting if it was down in the towns that are contested more and fighting in dungeons less.

The fact of the matter is that fewer people are involved. I am not sure if it's more a matter of disinterest or frustration with the current state. Speaking for myself, I am frustrated as I either grab sigils just to lose them (nobody's around to defend), or that I get gang rushed because nobody else was available to even out the numbers.

A

A Rev

~To me this thread fails in the first post.

Just because the OP doesnt even recognise the commitment hes complaining about.

The timer hasn't been 6hours for a good few months now, its 10 hours like it was prior to the Warriors of Destiny story arc.

As such

This thread = Epic Fail!