• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Bushido] The Lone Sampire

Ivor_MacGregor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Perfecting the Sampire build:

There is no one single way to build or play the Sampire build. However, this post will concentrate on the more traditional build with tips on a few variations. The key to successfully playing a sampire is a combination of ideal skills, equipment, items, timing of abilities, and pre-emptive preparation for death situations.

Skills:
View attachment 6325
It is vital to legendary, at the minimum, Bushido, a weapon skill, and parrying. There are variations which use healing or resist in place of parry. But, I have been unsuccessful with these. I find my template ideal for my play style. You will want to test different skills out to match your play style. Soul stones make this easier than ever.

My template:
120 Swords
120 Bushido
120 Tactics
120 Parrying
99 Necromancy
65 Chivalry (I like never failing concentrate weapon)
76 Anatomy (All remaining points are used here for the extra damage bonus. Or you can use spirit speak in its place for the use of curse weapon. This is very handy when fighting hard hitting creatures and when you need the extra boost in health leeching)

150 Strength with 150 Hit points (This is a must as I have survived several times by just 1 Hotpoint).
150 Dexterity with 171 Stamina (High stamina is key for max swing speed increase - see 'uo stratics combat' via google search for handy combat calculators).
10 Intelligence with 30 Mana (Leeching keeps your mana full...most of the time. This is the area you should aim at increasing as much as your crafting will allow).

45 DCI and HCI
100 DI with weapon equipped
40 LMC
25 HPI (This is the maximum the game allows for Hit Point Increase on items).

Weapons:
UO gives the choice of more weapons than ever before. If there is any one single vital part to a sampire it is arguably the weapon. My recommendation of weapons is by no means the only option. It is merely what I find ideal. I like swordsmanship. Always have and probably always will. However, as long as the weapon you use against tough beasts has feint and either double strike or armor ignore, and your weapon of choice against numerous odds has whirlwind, and you have 1.25 to 1.5 swing speed, then who cares what weapon skill you have. Ideally you want as high damage per swing as possible. The best choice for swordsmanship is the Dashio, Radiant scimitar, and double axe. Additonally, I carry a elven spellblade with use-best-weapon to fight certain spawn like fey or non slayers. I find this weapon's abilites of amoror ignore, feint, and the ability to chug heal pots helpful in certain situations.

My weapons:
View attachment 6324

The first is one of two primary weapons I use against creatures with no slayer. The other being almost identical except with Hit Lightning and it is made from valorite.
The second is a variation of each slayer weapon I carry. The only difference with my other slayer weapons is simply the slayer type.

My armor:
View attachment 6322
A little difficult to see, but basically it gives me maximum everything except no faster casting.I cannot stress enough Defense Chance Increase (dci), Hit Chance Increase (hci), Lower Mana Cost (lmc), Damage Increase (DI) must be maxed out.

Tips and trick:

1. Having 65 DCI allows you to cast divine furry without any negative effects. This is a good tactic for replenishing stamina on the fly.

2. Utilize the sacrifice virtue as this will allow you to self-resurrect. Note that self-resing through the sacrifice virtue places everything from your corpse to your pack without the need to return to your corpse.

3. Carrying and macroing an arcane piece of clothing and a +20 necromancy ring or bracelet will allow you to cast necro form without reagents. This is especially handy if you can't access your corpse and you don't use the sacrifice virtue to self resurrect. Having a +20 necro item just means you fail less and saves charges on your arcane clothing. Remember, you need a skill cap of 120 to use this trick.

4. Having 45 HCI negates the need to use lightning strike. Thus, allowing you to spam your weapon ability double-strike or armor ignore.

5. Using Enchanted Apples allows you to quickly remove Blood Oath on the fly and without having to use remove curse.

6. If possible, having faster casting designed in your suit of 2 to 4 will allow you cast chivalry spells like remove curse and cleanse fire without disruption.

7. Carrying a few cooked birds will help replenish needed stamina quickly in odd situations.

8. Double strike is your best friend because it leeches twice as much and does twice the damage.

9. Having lower attack 50% on your Two-handed weapon, combined with legendary bushido and parry makes your sampire the hardest character to hit in the game.

10. Using a one-handed weapon slightly lowers your total defense chance, but enables you to chug heal and refresh potions.

11. The whirlwind ability combined with legendary bushido and hit area effect on a weapon will do an immense amount of damage to everything around you. Thus, leeching constantly and keeping you alive against unlimited odds.

12. Evasion should be used when you need the extra time to regain health and avoid death. There is a long cool down timer on evasion. Therefore, use it only when necessary.

13. Momentum strike not only kills secondary spawn, but it also allows you to leech even more damage.

14. Feint is beyond reproach. Using this ability cuts all physical damage in half for 6 seconds from target mob. This means hard-hitting creatures like Dread Horn and Riktor will do half their normal damage to you. Therefore, it is vital you constantly chain Feint when standing toe to toe with these beasts.

15. Always, always, ALWAYS have confidence enabled. There is no cool down timer to this ability. Having it enabled will keep you from the death robe.

16. Spam confidence when you are in desperate need of health. Do not run when near death; trust you leeching and ability to utilize the sampire abilities. Your weapon will leech mana constantly, feeding your ability to spam confidence. Additionally, vampire form will steadily raise your health. Utilize double strike to gain an extra boost in leeching.

17. Running instead of staying and fighting most often leads to death.

18. Honor everything, especially large creatures. This gives you an immense increase in damage and a nice boost to luck.

19. Use Honor on yourself when you need to get past tough spawn in order to reach your destination.

20. Work towards achieving an arsenal of super and lesser slayer weapon. Know lesser slayers do 300% percent damage and super slayers do 200% damage.

21. Use a swamp dragon with an exceptional dragon barding deed. Keep an additonal deed insured and in your pack incase he runs out of armor while you are hunting. If you die, just log out asap. When you res, log and re-log and he will be there alive and ready for more action. "Swamp dragon wearing exceptional barding deed armor provides 20% damage reduction. There are varying degrees of the armor as it pertains to how much damage it will absorb before it 'breaks' (I believe the max is 17k in dmg absorption), hence his recommendation to keep one on ya. A Paroxysmus dragon provides a constant 12% reduction, and never requires barding deeds for armor."

22. Using Honor on yourself is extremely handy when you need to avoid spawn in order to get to peerless keyed creatures (e.g., twisted whelm). This ability can be used every 5 minutes and lasts plenty of time in order to lure the creature you want.

Ivor_MacGregor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Soloing Dread Horn:

Acquire the Keys:
Note** I forgot to take a screen shot of Irk’s Brain. She is one of three named changelings. The other two are a pain if they gain up on you. Try to avoid fighting more than one named changeling at a time.

This is an easy key...it just spawns on the desert floor. Once you get this key make your way into Gnaw's cave and do not stop moving. Avoid the changlings by just keep walking through. If you see a paragon be ready for a decent fight. These can be a big pain.
View attachment 6326

Once inside Gnaw's cave just relax at the very top and avoid attracting more changlings outside.
View attachment 6327

Here is where it get's tricky. Just grab one of the many Blighted Cotton's laying around in the swamps. Make sure you avoid the water pool or else spiders spawn.
Lure an Irk to the top most area or at the bottom near the Key statue. Try and keep from engaging more than one named changling at a time. You want to be able to use EOO to increase the amount of damage. But doing so leaves you very vunlerable to other changelings as each one is considered a different type of spawn.
View attachment 6328

The spiders are semi-difficult but can be slain quickly with a spider slayer weapon. Try to be careful of changelings on the other side of the rocks as they can sometimes target you with spells.
View attachment 6329
View attachment 6330

As you can see from the last picture, my sampire was down to 20ish health and deadly poisoned. Do not get anxious when this happens. You can leech faster than most beasts can harm you, and confidence heals through poison. Remember, using evasion at times like these will buy you the time to get some life back up. Whatever you do, do not de-equip your weapon to use potions. Doing so opens you for direct hits and will take away your leeching.

If you are fighting more than just a changeling, target the other spawn instead and let momentum strike deal the damage to the changeling. Most often they are the hardest to hit and have the highest armor. Everything else around here has a significant armor weakness and is easy to hit. This will ensure you leech as much stats as possible. Thus, keeping you alive when you are fighting more than just a named changling.

Furthermore, it is handy to use a 100% physical weapon with armor ignore against the named changelings. I find this method to be the easiest and quickest way to kill Spite, Irk, and Guile.

Ivor_MacGregor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Slaying the Dread Horn:

Make certain you honor Dread Horn before you engage. Lure him to the bottom or top most edge. This is so that incase you die you can go to the opposite edge and self-res with the sacrafice virtue.

Use Feint as a chain. This means you cast it ever 5-6 seconds. Doing so will cut the physical damage he does to you in half. Use confidence constantly. I use a 100% physical damage weapon. Doing so allows you to bypass the need for concentrate weapon. However, casting concentrate when able to will increase the damage done to Dread Horn slightly. When you drop to an unsafe level in health (bellow 50%), cast Evasion and use that extra time leeching health. Spam your weapon ability Double-Strike (or armor ignore for you feners). This will further increase damage and leeching.
View attachment 6333

If you do not use resist and do not carry strength/dex potions be prepared to have your stats reduced. Dread Horn not only casts weakening spells, but he also uses a lower-stat ability. With potions you can overcome some of this. However, I find it okay to just take the stat loss. Against harder creatures than Dread Horn, however, you will want to carry these potions.
View attachment 6334

After 10minutes or so he will be dead and you can reap the rewards :thumbup:
View attachment 6332

The tactics stated here are pretty much a base to work off of for everything else. You will discover what works for you, and possibly have even better methods than I do.
Feel free to icq me at 74431689 if you are on Europa and want to come along on any sampire 1 vs. all!!

-Macgregor :pint:

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm going to bypass most of the feedback I could give, since you already said that this is what works best for you and just mention one piece of advice:

When you get targetted by multiple changelings in the weald, it's EXTREMELY handy to have a few confusion potions on hand to get them off of your back. This way, you never have to deal with more than one at a time. It's also useful to put the changelings in an out-of-the-way place (I use the desert by Gnaw's cave for three reasons... it's out of the way, it ensures my "privacy" (not usually an issue these days, but I kept in the habit) and keeps the altar area free when I need it)

Ivor_MacGregor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I never thought of using those. It is a really good tactic. It would save me a lot of headache. I will try it out next time I go.

Also, do give your advice. Other's will learn from it and so will I. Seriously, by all means. If you can lend some useful information I, as others, could use the information. Also, I have not attempted to solo proxy yet. Has anyone done so with a sampire. If so, what tips can you offer? This is my next project.

The thing about UO (and probably what always keeps me coming back) is there is so many different variations and ways to play an almost unlimited character build. This has never been more true, especially with imbuing and all the post Trammel skills.

L

LoL/Sonoma

Nice writeup. Since a lot of people reading this may be new sampires, you should probably include the reason you want a swamp dragon with the last point. I never knew what they/barding did before making my Sampire.

N

NoBuddy

Swamp dragon wearing exceptional barding deed armor provides 20% damage reduction. There are varying degrees of the armor as it pertains to how much damage it will absorb before it 'breaks' (I believe the max is 17k in dmg absorption), hence his recommendation to keep one on ya. A Paroxysmus dragon provides a constant 12% reduction, and never requires barding deeds for armor.

Feel free to fact check the numbers, but I think it's accurate.

L

LoL/Sonoma

Those numbers are correct. I just thought Ivor should put it up top in his post under the bullet point on them. =)

Ivor_MacGregor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Went ahead and added that bit of info. Thank you :party:

Proxy was easier than Dread Horn to my suprise. The keys were a pain though. But over all, still easier than Dread Horn. Love the loot too. Will be hoping for a statue in the future.

favorite loot so far is the mug :pint:

T

TheMac

Thanks for the write up this is going to help new (me) sampires out a lot. :party: I will be looking forward on doing other stuff solo if you are planning to write it!

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also wanted to say a quick thanks for posting this. Very helpful in seeing what I am doing right and wrong. Not sure I'm quite ready for Dread Horn yet, but this should help me greatly in working my way up the monster ladder.

M

mjolnir131

thank you for the write up good job but i'm not understanding why 120 tact i know extras damage but is 120 giving that much more damage?

S

Sam Pire

Hello,

Your suit is pretty much perfect! I just would change some things in there for faction like faction fey leggings, crimmy, M&S, primer on arms (identical to conj trinket but without undead slayer - it has pros and cons) for extra stats.

How much did you spend on the woodland suit:

Do you know if with 170 stamina i can get my leafblade to swing with 1.25 speed: The calculator says i need 180 but is the 5% extra swing enough:

Thanks!

Ganesh89

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Ivor

Having no trouble at all getting the keys, but the horsy is a problem:

Can't bless it since the second you arrive on the island it blesses it self.....
As soon as the fight start's the evil folly sucks my mana.....
Curses in all ranges (Paralyze, stam reduction, hitpoint reduction, mana reduction) follow next....and it keeps them running so even when I remove curse them, the next second I wear them again.....

I made 3 tries so far, with the following weapons, each time I was oooooing from the island:

Bladed staff ->nice damage but not fast enough
Radiant scimi ->low damage good speed....not enough leech
Daisho -> spaming faint really helped but since no honor not enough leech

Could it be that horsy got a buff around the same time Medusa did?

My woody suit is on par with Thundrez and Lynx (I run it with the tinker legs) and my template is setup the following:

120 Swords
120 Tacs
100 Ana
120 Bushido
90 Healing
70 Chiv
100 necro

Any pointers? and can you let me know when you did the folly the last time?

Tx

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi Ivor

Having no trouble at all getting the keys, but the horsy is a problem:

Can't bless it since the second you arrive on the island it blesses it self.....
As soon as the fight start's the evil folly sucks my mana.....
Curses in all ranges (Paralyze, stam reduction, hitpoint reduction, mana reduction) follow next....and it keeps them running so even when I remove curse them, the next second I wear them again.....

I made 3 tries so far, with the following weapons, each time I was oooooing from the island:

Bladed staff ->nice damage but not fast enough
Radiant scimi ->low damage good speed....not enough leech
Daisho -> spaming faint really helped but since no honor not enough leech

Could it be that horsy got a buff around the same time Medusa did?

My woody suit is on par with Thundrez and Lynx (I run it with the tinker legs) and my template is setup the following:

120 Swords
120 Tacs
100 Ana
120 Bushido
90 Healing
70 Chiv
100 necro

Any pointers? and can you let me know when you did the folly the last time?

Tx
I use an invis pot before crossing to DH, gives me time to honor it before it targets me .. or you could embrace honor.

Ivor_MacGregor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ganesh89

I have not had an issue honoring DH before. Basically I have honor ready to target when I go in. I run up as soon as I enter and target his health bar. I use Pinco's customer UI's automatic healthbars. This makes it so that DH's health bar is already up automatically.

Never-the-less, I tried to test out some things for you at DH today. I went ahead and fought him without honoring and the fight was definately harder, challenging actually. I found if you use curse weapon when your health is low it will save you from death. In additon, you can use a invisi potion right after Dh cast's bless. You wait a few seconds and his health will be back to full, then honor.

Hope this helps.

T

Tempuskaine

Hi I'm Just recently returned to the game. Is it still possible to solo rictor? My guildmate said it was not and after seeing the damage he puts out would be inclined to believe this on a sampire of course

Ivor_MacGregor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hello Tempuskaine,

Your guild mate is incorrect. It is possible to solo Riktor in Destard. The spawn is rather easy with whirlwind and all the right slayers.

Once Riktor spawns, you lure him to the North end of the dungeon. I prefer the center North just East of the shrine. This way if you happen to die you can just walk your ghost over and res, recoup, and go for round 2 :fight:

Tactics: You must constantly chain feint. This is because there will be times when Riktor hits you 2-3 times in a row (he just gets lucky) and normal hits without Feint would kill anyone. With a bit of luck and the right use of combos you will have Riktor's corpse at your feet and reap all the rewards. That is of course unless local PKs show up to give you a traditional pat-on-the-back :gee:

-Ivor

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rikktor is one of the easier champs to solo IMO... I do it on a regular basis and I never use feint.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rikktor is one of the easier champs to solo IMO... I do it on a regular basis and I never use feint.
I guess that is a difference based off weapons, using fencing I find that if I don't feint that drops me pretty low.

Lord Crowen

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess that is a difference based off weapons, using fencing I find that if I don't feint that drops me pretty low.
Are you standing toe to toe? I'm using mace, only mace weap with feint is tessen. Tried that once, but the damage is way too low. And now AI on that tessen either. Now I'm back to jousting, AI with hammerpick and Rikki drops pretty fast.

I do have the most problems with Semidar spawn. The "select nearest hostile" macro doesn't work well with that flying critters and Semidar itself is a challenge, not sure why I'm having a peck of trouble with her. And yes, char is female.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you standing toe to toe? I'm using mace, only mace weap with feint is tessen. Tried that once, but the damage is way too low. And now AI on that tessen either. Now I'm back to jousting, AI with hammerpick and Rikki drops pretty fast.

I do have the most problems with Semidar spawn. The "select nearest hostile" macro doesn't work well with that flying critters and Semidar itself is a challenge, not sure why I'm having a peck of trouble with her. And yes, char is female.
Yeah, I just stand toe to toe with Rikktor with my Leafblade.
Dragon Slayer
HLA 48%
HSL 50%
HML 68%
Luck 1 (bleh)
Cold Damage 100%

My wife is a macer, but I made her a UBWS Leafblade to do Rikktor with.

On Semidar, she does quite well. For me, I just go into wraith form.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yes I'm standing toe to toe. I used to use feint, but found it took way to long with just feint/LS. Now I just AI over and over. If I get hit even once, I pop evade and start confidence. If I get hit twice in a row I chug a heal, then a TR. I've got enough mana and leech enough back to do AI every swing. I started using a longsword instead of broad and my AIs are up to 189 per so that is 37 hit points leeched back every hit.

Lord Crowen

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've just eaten a 120 swords from the last Rikki and will train swords up now. Mace goes to the soulstone. Always good to have different options, we'll see how it goes. Can't remember the last time I used a longsword, hehe :)

Lord Crowen

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I get hit even once, I pop evade and start confidence. If I get hit twice in a row I chug a heal, then a TR.
Update: Tried your tactic, works very well with war axe too! If I get my timing right, ofc. Need some more practical experience here. (I usually run spawns without any potions, if I die they are lost anyway.) Really shortens the time needed for Rikki.

Ganesh89

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ivor

Tx for the tests....I managed to honor....you can use an invis potion BEFORE you click on the key and arrive hidden....then honor is easy....as soon as you come into the range of approx 70 damage a hit dreadhorn dies quite easy....:)

Tx again :) Next is Paroxymus :)

Ganesh89

I have not had an issue honoring DH before. Basically I have honor ready to target when I go in. I run up as soon as I enter and target his health bar. I use Pinco's customer UI's automatic healthbars. This makes it so that DH's health bar is already up automatically.

Never-the-less, I tried to test out some things for you at DH today. I went ahead and fought him without honoring and the fight was definately harder, challenging actually. I found if you use curse weapon when your health is low it will save you from death. In additon, you can use a invisi potion right after Dh cast's bless. You wait a few seconds and his health will be back to full, then honor.

Hope this helps.