• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Festival of the Way Discussion Thread

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have begun this thread so that we might begin discussing the Second Festival of the Way. We need to discuss when we want to do it, how we want to do it, who will possess what role (doesn't have to be the same as last year), and so fourth.

I'm also sure the Widow Fazhnjell will have her own input which we can begin collecting here.

When? Friday the 14th of May (The Second Friday of Fifthmonth.)
Where? The Procession begins in Castle Britannia and ends at the Festival Grounds outside the Western Gate of Trinsic.

These are links related to the 2009 Festival.

The Festival of the Way: Discussion and Roles

Baja Stratics News: The Festival of the Way

We also might consider doing something to commemorate the Tenth Anniversary of the Trinsic Invasion in conjunction with this event.

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Friends,

The Festival of The Way is a sacred observance and commemoration. The Widow, Ceno, and many others, especially the "Four," were all instrumental in last year's Festival.

While it may not be wise to merely replicate last year's Festival, that should at least be one option considered.

If the Festival is to be expanded, last year's participants are critically important (in my view) in addition to any new focus that may emerge from these discussions.

Time is short and there is much to be done. Hopefully, real life will not intrude unhelpfully in our planning and carrying forward those plans.

Hopefully many voices will come here soon, that our chorus may reach a wise and wondrous Concerto.

Lord Elladan of Trinsic

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I would suggest asking the Girl Scouts if one would be interested in the Shepardess role and if anyone in Golden would be interested in another role. I would even suggest asking a certain member of a PvP guild who likes to RP, if they might be interest in the darker role. The more people we get involved, the better.

WildStar

B

Bucko the Kid

I would suggest asking the Girl Scouts if one would be interested in the Shepardess role and if anyone in Golden would be interested in another role. I would even suggest asking a certain member of a PvP guild who likes to RP, if they might be interest in the darker role. The more people we get involved, the better.

WildStar
I was approached by The Widow at the bank a few days ago and she indicated that she wanted Pol and I to be part of it again. If that doesn't work for you all or you would rather have someone else play the pixels just let us know. Don't count on the Count of Berg for the Bard part as he'll be in India at that time.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I am concerned I would love for Bucko and Pol to resume last years roles if available.

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
They were just suggestions to expand the number of people involved in the Festivial of the Way.

WildStar

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would it be possible for organizers to meet soon in game for live discussions?

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After speaking with the Widow about the Festival here is what was said (in a very very short way):

Any persons wishing to reclaim their role should more than happy too So we need to make sure Xel is available to continue his role this year, if not she wanted to see if James will do it if Xel isnt available. She also wished for me to continue my role as Lord Of The Way.

In addition to the Water of Life, there should be 3 festival food which I will get in contact with Lady Magdalena and see if she would be interested in cooking the menu.

Knowing that some roles arent able to be filled this year like the shop keeper and bard the Widow would like to see Morr as the shop keeper and for the Bard She asked for Sally (But I heard she will be out of town?) I personally would think James would be great at this role :) - that is if Sally isnt able to do it.

Also there just "might" be a contest which I think Lady Magdalena would be the perfect person to actually host it so I will need to get her ideas on that as well.

--------

Also, I am sorry for not taking an active role in this sooner, I planned on it but a few RL things came up which only a (very) few people know of and that distracted me from the Festival and by the time I knew it Nicholas beat me to the punch so thank you Brother. I am not looking to taking over and planning everything this year but I at least wanted to lend a helping hand.

For the tailor who is to make the clothes for the Four and for the Lord Of The Way is to be Lord Tarwyn Runeblade of The Kingdom of Dawn. Who will also make robes for the men and dresses for the women to whoever attend. And thanks to a certain white bandana wearing bringer of death...I was able to acquire enough cloth to supply this Festival and hopefully next years as well.

This Festival is about bringing people together and to make us all work together and to just have fun! So once we get everything settled we can post the actual time (id suggest 8pm shard time) and details of the event we can then post it onto the Stratics News Team forums to see if any are willing to post on their home shard so we can get as many people involved as possible

Also, on a side note I think it would be best to get a list of all roles, even the ones that werent able to be filled last year and see who would be willing to fill them this year.

B

Bucko the Kid

I just put together a list of the roles, who played them last year and supplies needed. This is done just to help organize and identify what roles need to be filled and what supplies will be needed.

Pol - The first was a Shepherdess, She was the Thaumaturge's niece.

The Bard - (name- I don't remember who was originally specified but the role ended up at the 11th hour going to The Count of Berg)The second was a bard whose voice was known throughout the Realm. He would go to sing the dirge.

Sleath - (replaced by Asimov)The third was a provision, a simple seller of rations, who secretly practiced the dark arts in the cellar of his shop. He would go hoping to steal the ring that the Thaumaturge was rumored to wear.

Bucko - And the fourth was a young, strapping fighter. Who went simply to see the spectacle.

Oriana - The Ghost

Nicholas - Leads the procession and Sphinx and others from this realm, are to commemorate this legendary event with a procession. It shall be called “The Festival of The Way.” - All others shall wear the black robes of mourning until at last they reach the end. Then let the robes be cast off, and let all revel!

Members of Dawn - WildStar and her people shall wear white

Magdalena - chosen to provide food and drink for the festivities. She was also assigned the task of collecting the Water of Life, which would be shared by the revelers at journey's end.

Elladan - chosen to give a few words to those who arrive at the end of the procession, welcoming them to Trinsic.

Xel the Wanderer - chosen to be the Master of Ceremonies, who would deliver a speech honoring their journey that would begin the Festival.

Ceno - The Lord of the Way

Katrina D'Antres - the seamstress supplied the 4 with their clothing and I think also made the robes for those that attended the procession. And the hats to identify those that were visiting from other shards.

Lady Sara - chosen to distribute news of the festival

Supplies Needed:

Food

Drink

Candles - at least 500 were supplied to line the way last year.

Clothing for the 4 - Bucko and the Count of Berg still have theirs from last year if they want to be reused again. Might be kinda nice for historical purposes.

Clothing for all the above people.

Robes for the procession. Hats for those that are visiting from other shards

Candles to be carried by people in the procession

Labor needed to line the Way with candles, decorate the entrance to Trinsic, set up food and drink.

B

Bucko the Kid

To the best of my knowledge Pol, The Count of Berg and myself will not be participating. There is a potential for a conflict for that night so I think its best that I bow out now just in case. If it ends up that I can attend I'll come along as part of the procession on a different character and can help out with set up of candles, food, drink, deco etc.

B

Bucko the Kid

Also there just "might" be a contest which I think Lady Magdalena would be the perfect person to actually host it so I will need to get her ideas on that as well.
Any idea what the contest is?

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I have over 500 candles in my bank box so we should be close on those.

WildStar

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as there's sake, fish steaks, semi-nude womenfolk, semi-nude womenfolk, and of course the integrity of the festival itself which should personify semi-nude womenfolk (I joke...OR DO I???), I'll be more than happy to contribute in any way that I can. It really is a fun ceremony not only for folks on Baja but also for folks visiting from other shards and lands.

I wish there was a way to have everyone wear coconut bras either on their chest or head. For some reason, coconut bras always seem to brighten any festivity. I have no blinkin' idea why that is... :thumbup:

K

KitaTalith

A little late chiming in here, but we of Golden I'm sure are happy to help however we can. Just let us know. The idea is intriguing, though I'm still a little fuzzy on details...

Kita

B

Bucko the Kid

Between the Duchess and myself we have the 1,200 candles needed to line the way and hand out to people.

H

Harlan

I can help that day if needed, and depending on what it is. May main is Zorax, or Leonides. Just get with me if needed.

B

Bucko the Kid

To the best of my knowledge Pol, The Count of Berg and myself will not be participating. There is a potential for a conflict for that night so I think its best that I bow out now just in case. If it ends up that I can attend I'll come along as part of the procession on a different character and can help out with set up of candles, food, drink, deco etc.
Instead of replying on the other thread I figured I should continue to reply on this one.

The Count for sure will not be attending. He will be returning from Bombay and depending on delays etc I may be in route to the airport to pick him up. My ability to help out and be part of the procession will be determined by his ETA.

Here are a few suggestions for the 4 who walked:

The shepherdess: Sally and Airhaun and Ayassa

The Bard: James and Sally

The Provisioner: Morr and Tailesin and The Dark Elf

The Young Fighter: Airhaun and The Dark Elf

Reporter: Brytt

Lord/Lady of the Way : Kita

If this is going to happen these things need to be acted on.

Magdalena Chef

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, now that I found the right spot for this *slowly bangs head*....

I'll have to talk to a few people to see who can fill in what places from last year. Fern *shudders* can fill in as the shepherdess if need be (she's been looking at desinger crooks).

I'll start talking to people tonight when I am in-game. But I think that the Great DisJunction (starts consulting astrological charts for Sosaria) is occuring this year. Every so many years, the way the full moons fall cause the festival to be put off until the third friday of fifth month. *grins, coughs*

(Maybe if we make a good story out of that it'll be a nice Mother's Day gift for Mother)

Xel - PM me or grab me in-game!

The Contest will be up and listed hopefully within in the next two days, tonight if I can get to it.

Bucko, Pol and Berg - I'm sorry that you cannot reprise your roles. The job you did last year was amazing (and I had spent almost two hours writing a long thank you to you all last year, what I didn't realize is that if you type here in a "reply post" and take to long - when you hit "post" you find you are logged/timed out. I lost the whole thing. Now I know to copy as I write. Hopefully you will be able to attend in some way.)

B

Bucko the Kid

Here are a few suggestions for the 4 who walked:

The shepherdess: Sally and Airhaun and Ayassa

The Bard: James and Sally

The Provisioner: Morr and Tailesin and The Dark Elf

The Young Fighter: Airhaun and The Dark Elf

Reporter: Brytt

Lord/Lady of the Way : Kita

If this is going to happen these things need to be acted on.
I spoke with Morr last night and he will not be available. Tailesin and Airhaun are available and would like to participate.

Magdalena Chef

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The Astronomer looked through the ancient telescope and muttered under his breath. He turned to consult the charts and books that he had brought with him one last time.

"It seems, " he said to no one in particular, "that because of the way the two full moons fall this year, The Great Disjunction will cause the Festival of the Way to fall on the third Friday of Fifth Month."

He snapped his book closed and turned to Selcius.

"Thank you for bringing this to my attention, " he said gruffly. "I shall have to inform the Lady of the proper date for the Festival." He twisted round, grabbing the reins of the horse and started towards town.

Date change for Baja's Festival of the Way. It will be on Friday, May 21st at around 8 pm shard time.

All are welcome, this was huge last year!

More information to follow.

Magdalena Chef

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have our players for the Festival!

The Shepherdess will be played by Katrina Cole, The Bard is Brytt, The Provisioner, Taliesin and The Warrior is Zorax.

The Ghost will be played by Mark the Brigand.

Xel will be reprising his awesome role and giving a speech at the end that will start the revelry.

Nicholas will reprise his role as the StoryKeeper.

And James (Magus d'Occlo) is our Lord of the Way!

Tarwyn is the tailor this year, please be sure to see him for costume discussions (I'm trying to alert and round everyone up).

More information to come as I get things together. Thanks everyone.

B

Bucko the Kid

We have our players for the Festival!

The Shepherdess will be played by Katrina Cole, The Bard is Brytt, The Provisioner, Taliesin and The Warrior is Zorax.

The Ghost will be played by Mark the Brigand.

Xel will be reprising his awesome role and giving a speech at the end that will start the revelry.

Nicholas will reprise his role as the StoryKeeper.

And James (Magus d'Occlo) is our Lord of the Way!

Tarwyn is the tailor this year, please be sure to see him for costume discussions (I'm trying to alert and round everyone up).

More information to come as I get things together. Thanks everyone.
A truly heartfelt congratulations to all!

I do have three questions.... who, where and when was it decided? I thought this was a forum to discuss this? Pardon me if I was wrong but in reading the original post I thought this was going to be something that wasn't decided 'behind closed doors".

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing has been decided behind closed doors.

No one was stepping up to the plate. Ceno disappeared. The Festival was suppose to be tomorrow. So Magdalena took this task upon her shoulders and is performing all the duties in getting this set up.

If not for her there probably wouldn't be a Festival this year.

Magdalena Chef

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do have three questions.... who, where and when was it decided? I thought this was a forum to discuss this? Pardon me if I was wrong but in reading the original post I thought this was going to be something that wasn't decided 'behind closed doors".
Ceno was supposed to have been the one "planning" it. On May 8th - 6 days before the festival, Ceno bowed out due to personal reasons. This was the same time that I found out that no one was handling this (and also that UO Forums was where everything was being posted). So, with 6 days before the event was supposed to be taking place, and more than half of the people who were part of the planning last year unavaliable (Bucko, Berg, Pol, Ceno) and no one doing anything, I did. It was not done "behind closed doors" it was Holy Cow (not the word I used), this is in six days and nothing is set, done or planned.

This is what I gleaned from Ceno, the contest was the Widow's idea, and she asked for Tarwyn to be the tailor this year. The Festival was supposed to be taking place tomorrow night. If someone would like to re-post under the food thing and offer to turn it into a contest and judge it, please do. You'll have to figure out how it's going to be judged and how to judge it. I did the best I could with it after I ran into the Widow at the bank on Monday night and she re-explained what she had in mind.

Ceno bowed out. Bucko and Berg and Pol would be unavailable to attend, I also knew that Aldagar Morr would be unavailable. Sally was asked, but she has personal reasons why she may not be able to attend. Sara of Baja would also be unable to plan something this time consuming. A Dark Elf I did not ask initailly because he plays Oceania - 14 hour time difference. And Nicholas the Old has real life calling him away and many things going on right now too. Taliesin was asked to be the provisioner, Xel was asked if he would like to reprise his role. WildStar, well I always feel guilty about asking her to do anything because I know she is involved in many things across different shards.

4 of the people that you suggested were asked, either they could not do it, or they are in a different role (Sally, Taliesin, James and Brytt). So Airhaun and Ayassa were not asked. I apologize.

If I sound snarky, well this is a an extremely busy time of the year for me, I am saying good-bye to students that I have watched grow before my eyes, preparing for finals and Senior week, graduation, setting review dates up, then launching into finals for underclassmen... and the list is endless.

So trust me, I did not come sweeping in with an air of self-importance and hijack the whole thing, nor did I ignore who was suggested for roles, nor did I go off half-cocked doing my own thing. I simply did not want to see something that was so amazing last year go undone.

If anyone would like to take over, please post it here. At least now you have an extra week to plan it. And, since the date is changed, everyone who could not initially make it, can. Correct?

Again, my apologies if anyone feels that their toes were stepped on or they were passed over.

H

Harlan

OK Every one Inhale.........................and....................Exhale.
slowly count 1....2....3....4....5....6....7....8...9....10
and restart.

Sally_Elena

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want to say thank you for letting me know about the Festival of the Way event. I would still like to say if you all need any help preparing for the event I would be more then glad to help just let me know! :)

B

Bucko the Kid

WildStar and I could use some help placing the candles right before the event. Anyone want to help with that?

Magdalena Chef

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sally, thank you. You're such a sweety. If you can help place candles along the way that would be great. I was going to help with that too.

I forgot to mention Elladan will also reprise his role in greeting the people at the Trinsic gates. It seems that everything is coming together now.

Thank you everyone.

Let's cross our fingers and hope this works!

*goes back to cooking*

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Couple of more days left, folks! We do need help with placing candles, food delivery, and more women in lingerie. Mostly the first two: placing candles and food delivery to the event. I'll be helping with candle placements and I have my BLINKIN' BRILLIANT speech ready! It'll be fun so bring your phallic-like wands and staffs to the party! HUZZAH! :gee:

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know it's been said a dozen times, but thanks again to all who worked so hard to pull this off, and for letting me a part of it! Look forward to helping next year, in any fashion I can.

The forum thread has been updated with screenshots from 2010's Festival, thanks to Lady Kat for taking them while I was "on stage":

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=210161

Magdalena Chef

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is, start planning. Was just discussing this with the Duchess last night...
I still have the tailor that I made last year for this (Royal Clothiers who is still available) or I can erase him and make another one with a new, snazzier tag if anyone would like that.... Are there any volunteers or suggestions for any of the other places? I'm unsure of the amount of help I can give this year, so anything that might be needed I would have to do now.
After the earthquake in Dawn, are new candles needed for the path etc. (buying/storing)?
And one suggestion - include in the books dropped this year protocol for how the audience should "participate" - step by step what they are supposed to do, and again on the steps when they gather (follow the four, remain silent, stay back for any roleplaying, pause when they see the dawn ghosts etc. it got pretty out of hand last year at some points). The first year when we included this (in the books and on the steps) it went without a hitch.

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
No need to worry about the candles. I have 1750 in my bank box (one item - they stack).

We have several new rper's to the shard. We should see if they would be interested in participating.

WildStar

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Festival 2012

Date: May 10th

Lord of the Way -
Storyteller - James the Animal Tamer

The Warrior -
The Shepherdess -
The Merchant (Necromancer) - Valek Typhoon
The Bard -

The Ghost -
The Daughter -
The Tailor - Magdalena
The Orc Tribe -
The Kingdom of Dawn - Wildstar. Shovel. Zackarias. Delfan. Sid Vicious.

The High Marshal - Lance Marshal
The Master of Ceremonies -

Candles - Wildstar
Catering - Magdalena Shieba or Livvie Dell

* Suggested.

We will also need to address the matter of EM Class on the same night.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It appears I'm in charge this round.

If that be the case then I'm going to make a few judgment calls. That includes moving things back a week.

I'm going to need to know who's available. Who's interested in a role. We're also going to have to factor in the loss of Castle Britannia as a starting point.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Planning for the Festival will resume when we get an answer concerning Castle Britannia.

IC or otherwise.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can help again this year if you need it.

Alouenikah

Caretaker of Sudiva
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Castle British is still accessible in full. You would need to incorporate a gate into the ceremony to get participants out of the castle, but getting in is easy.