• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The faction changes are not enough..

• Thread starter imported_Velvathos
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Velvathos

Even with these changes, it won't make factions more appealing, maybe make them a little bit more active...

I would start by getting rid of faction silver, faction points would stay, but they would never go down as you die, they would just go up as you kill your enemies and you turn-in these points for faction gear similar to the turn-ins.....

Benefictial acts need to go, at least in Trammel rulesets... You ever join a faction and die fighting in a champion spawn? There isn't a res around for miles... Yeah, that will make factions more appealing, especially when there is nobody in them.. (The only people who can perform benefictial acts on you is your own faction.) With how dryed out factions are, it is best to get rid of them, you can't even get pet transfers, night sight, or any buffs from anyone if they aren't in your faction... It's just dumb in my opinion... We should also be able to tell who is in factions in other rulesets, even though we can't fight there..

Stat Loss.. You get rid of stat loss for reds but not for factions?? Why join a "pointless" faction when I can be a red? Where I can at least get benefictial acts, my fair share of PvP and without stat loss.....

Fighting on any ruleset would also be a good start, but in a casual way, different from Felucca....

G

They should dump factions all together and just go with guilds controlling cities.

Spies are still accepted were you can not do anything about them it seems which is the main problem with factions.

G

Sure you can do something about it, there is nothing stopping a factioner from killing someone in the same faction, just take a count.

G

<blockquote><hr>

They should dump factions all together and just go with guilds controlling cities.

[/ QUOTE ]Exactly. Factions should be dismantled and the best parts of it rolled into the guild/alliance system... where it should have been all along.

I

imported_Velvathos

<blockquote><hr>

There are suppose to be more changes comming.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so.... I am thinking maybe they will make factions very similar to how Order/Chaos was, which was more appealing imo..

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Exactly. Factions should be dismantled and the best parts of it rolled into the guild/alliance system... where it should have been all along.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh that'd be nice. Then we'd have the major guilds taking the cities and keeping them. On Atlantic at least, it wouldn't be fair at least for individual guilds to be able to take control of the cities.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Oh that'd be nice. Then we'd have the major guilds taking the cities and keeping them. On Atlantic at least, it wouldn't be fair at least for individual guilds to be able to take control of the cities.

[/ QUOTE ]Sounds good to me.

A guild could only occupy one city at a time. The only exception to that would be an ally occupying a city. Then you could have an alliance occupying several cities. Given the size of Sosaria and the number of players of UO, no one alliance could hold it all. And the keyword there is... hold.

Each guild would have to have the ability to hold their city, and help their allies to hold theirs. Imagine the guild of Cove attacking Minoc, Minoc's allies rush to defend her. Only to discover Cove attacking Minoc was only a diversion as Britain, Skara Brae and Yew are laying siege on Trinsic as the real goal!

The backstory being... Sosaria (the land without a king) begins to see guilds and alliances grow ever more powerful without a ruler of the lands. Each vying for position and power over Sosaria's future. How will these guild &amp; alliance fiefdoms react and perform with the complications of a headless Royal Guard, and the mysteries of the Shadowlords and Blackrock?!

Who works with who? More power. More mystery. More story. More possibilities.

G

Take a count…

No thank you. I played factions when it first came out. It was a lot of fun.

but I don't want to play red characters.

C

Chameleon

<blockquote><hr>

A guild could only occupy one city at a time. The only exception to that would be an ally occupying a city. Then you could have an alliance occupying several cities. Given the size of Sosaria and the number of players of UO, no one alliance could hold it all. And the keyword there is... hold.

Each guild would have to have the ability to hold their city, and help their allies to hold theirs. Imagine the guild of Cove attacking Minoc, Minoc's allies rush to defend her. Only to discover Cove attacking Minoc was only a diversion as Britain, Skara Brae and Yew are laying siege on Trinsic as the real goal!

The backstory being... Sosaria (the land without a king) begins to see guilds and alliances grow ever more powerful without a ruler of the lands. Each vying for position and power over Sosaria's future. How will these guild &amp; alliance fiefdoms react and perform with the complications of a headless Royal Guard, and the mysteries of the Shadowlords and Blackrock?!

Who works with who? More power. More mystery. More story. More possibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that the guild and its alliances could be the same people playing.
For a huge guild who have another char in ally, still possible to hold most towns.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Note that the guild and its alliances could be the same people playing.
For a huge guild who have another char in ally, still possible to hold most towns.

[/ QUOTE ]True! Let 'em fight for it though.

Let's say The Syndicate takes over Britain on Atlantic. Pretty big guild, the other guilds on Atlantic would have to join forces to take over Britain from them. Imagine the battle?!

I

imported_Traveller

No need to imagine. EVE online has had a similar system in place for a long time, and it seems to work fairly well (except for the actual way to acquire sovereigneity, but that's a different issue. Even the sigil method to control cities is objectionable, at least in its current implementation). The only difference is that no single guild can hold control, only alliances can do that.

Personally I am totally in favor of getting rid of factions and giving their role to alliances, in this way:
1) if an alliance wants to compete for city control, the alliance leader changes a setting (with usual timeouts in place to prevent abuse).
2) When the alliance is set to fight for city control all other alliances with the same setting appear as orange (no counts fighting against them). In this way the alliances may not need to be involved in the city control wars, if they don't want to.
3) Blues belonging to alliances NOT fighting for city control should be allowed into cities controlled by another alliance.

Note that by doing things in this way there is no need to maintain kill points, faction silver and all the other stuff. There is no more need to wonder how faction crafters, faction thieves and faction detectors may be rewarded, because that's something that the players decide among them, instead of relying on (exploitable) game mechanics. The only thing that must be decided by game mechanics is how the alliance on the whole is rewarded. If a faction char is not happy on how much he gets from his alliance he can always ditch them and move to another one.

To answer a final objection, of course the cities would be controlled by the biggest alliances, or the more organized ones. That's the essence of any war. But if things gets too skewed towards one alliance, the other guilds may join into a single alliance and wipe them out.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL. Ox, I thought you were braver than that...la

A

Avalonia

I thought you could transfer pets to faction members if it was in Felucca? Did they do away with that?

Benneficial actions have absolutely no place in Felucca. If you want to heal someone in Felucca it shouldn't matter what faction they are in. Doing so should flag you as a criminal though.

A

Avalonia

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

There are suppose to be more changes comming.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so.... I am thinking maybe they will make factions very similar to how Order/Chaos was, which was more appealing imo..

[/ QUOTE ]

It has been stated by developers that the current faction system is slowly going to be morphed into O/C through the usage of the current event lore. They are doing it slowly and gradually but they are still doing it.

Perhaps they don't want to break the game even more, so they are actually taking their time.

A

Avalonia

<blockquote><hr>

Take a count…

No thank you. I played factions when it first came out. It was a lot of fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes 5 counts to turn you red. It takes 24 hours to drop a count. Taking one count will not turn you red. There is a reason that most of the AFK people in Luna are pvpers.

G

Well you certainly could transfer to a factioner in Fel before, and res them and their pets. AFAIK the beneficial acts thing should only affect players whilst in Tram.

The obvious solution to beneficial acts issues is for a player not to use their factioner to hunt in Tram facets unless it's near a healer. Which does actually include a lot of spots, because my main tamer lived in a warred guild for ages with those same penalties and hunted normally.

I really don't want to see factioning in Tram as the bases/sigils are located in Fel and our players are thin on the ground as it is. Besides, PvPing in Tram is horrible, I hated it just in RP PvP, the last thing I'd want was a faction fight in the same mess. Ick

Wenchy

I

imported_Tina Small

<blockquote><hr>

I thought you could transfer pets to faction members if it was in Felucca? Did they do away with that?

Benneficial actions have absolutely no place in Felucca. If you want to heal someone in Felucca it shouldn't matter what faction they are in. Doing so should flag you as a criminal though.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your character is in a faction, that character can only receive a pet in trade from another character in the same faction. A character that is in factions can trade a pet to another character in the same faction or to a character that is not in any faction.

I'm not sure why you are saying beneficial acts have no place in Fel.....what if I want to heal someone is in my guild or in my faction? Are you saying that doing that should flag me as a criminal??

Edited to add: Curiously, I have found out that a tamer in factions can rez pets that belong to enemy faction members. Don't know if it's a bug or not, but I've done it a couple of times. The last time I did it was for someone on a shard that has little faction activity and the poor guy had been dragging a dead hiryu around for a week or more because his faction mate who normally did pet rezzes for him hadn't logged on in a while.

I

imported_Tina Small

<blockquote><hr>

It has been stated by developers that the current faction system is slowly going to be morphed into O/C through the usage of the current event lore. They are doing it slowly and gradually but they are still doing it.

Perhaps they don't want to break the game even more, so they are actually taking their time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Avalonia, which developer(s) stated this and how how long ago was the statement made? Is there anything online you can point to that provides further details?

I

imported_Tina Small

<blockquote><hr>

Well you certainly could transfer to a factioner in Fel before, and res them and their pets. AFAIK the beneficial acts thing should only affect players whilst in Tram.

The obvious solution to beneficial acts issues is for a player not to use their factioner to hunt in Tram facets unless it's near a healer. Which does actually include a lot of spots, because my main tamer lived in a warred guild for ages with those same penalties and hunted normally.

I really don't want to see factioning in Tram as the bases/sigils are located in Fel and our players are thin on the ground as it is. Besides, PvPing in Tram is horrible, I hated it just in RP PvP, the last thing I'd want was a faction fight in the same mess. Ick

Wenchy

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't particularly want to have my faction characters appear orange and be attackable outside of Fel either, particularly crafter characters. However, that's just me. Other people in factions may like the rush of always "living on the edge" and wouldn't really care if no place in the game is totally safe. I would have to rethink a few things if things changed to the point where it's not safe to even take my faction characters to the bank. At least red characters can get to the bank in Fel and usually not be molested. Being orange and attackable anywhere in the game would, in my opinion, make banking and shopping too much of a challenge and perhaps be even more of a turn-off for joining factions than the post-death skill-loss period.

I hunt almost daily in Trammel with quite a few of my faction characters, especially the tamers, knowing that if they die they're on their own for rezzes. It's really not a big deal. Just keeps me on my toes with them a bit more, I guess. Every once in a while I'll also get a question from someone about why they couldn't heal my pets and it's a good opportunity to explain why. Have run into a number of people who didn't even know that UO has something like the faction system.

G

I agree leave factions in Fel where it belongs... and, for that matter maybe we should just do away with tram rule set all together, and make a few of the dungeons pvp safe, but for the most part put things back to where players needed to work together to stay alive and help to recreate a real community player base again. UO is so much like a small happy town these days, no worries, everything is nice and sunny, you get everything you want, la ala lalalalalala....