• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] The fabled Rainbow Cloth

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
does anyone know what ever happened to it all? Did the GMs start deleting it because it could crash the server? I wonder because I have not even heard the name Rainbow Cloth in a looooong time.

any ideas?

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ohh! Never heard of it! Sounds pretty neat!

Would it be bad if I asked if anyone had a picture due to it being removed from game?

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This new group of collectors, those starting in the "Mesanna Age" probably have never heard of it...

N

Nightly Spirit

Hmm, I have collected for many years but havnt heard anyone mention this cloth. Truely an amazing piece.

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Last time I told the story, how it was obtained, how long it was available and if there is still some hidden away..

I got banned and infraction points.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not a server birth I can tell you that much. Its something we are not suppose to have.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not a server birth I can tell you that much. Its something we are not suppose to have.
This. It has been around a very long time. People were banned back then for owning it, I don't think today would be any different.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
This was all used to make a coat for Joseph. We no longer have access to it nor are we allowed to use it.

G

Gunga_Din

You could buy it from vendor in Ocllo (Think Tailor). The clothing was deemed illegal and deleted.

It was available at server birth.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember seeing that cloth back in the game way back when. I believe alot of it got zapped when the GM's saw a player wearing it etc. Was cool looking but was a bannable offence in the game esp since we already had some pretty bad lag issues with dial up.
I dunno if any one remembers the star room and green acres they were area's that players were not suppose know about as well. Were mainly used I believe for working on future game content, put some players figured out ways to get there.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I remember seeing that cloth back in the game way back when. I believe alot of it got zapped when the GM's saw a player wearing it etc. Was cool looking but was a bannable offence in the game esp since we already had some pretty bad lag issues with dial up.
I dunno if any one remembers the star room and green acres they were area's that players were not suppose know about as well. Were mainly used I believe for working on future game content, put some players figured out ways to get there.

I still have runes to both those places though they don't work anymore.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still have runes to both those places though they don't work anymore.
I visited both places myself, I use to have runes to them but like you said I heard there blocked now.
From what I remember green acres was just a large are of green open space and you could recall to the other side of the wall and see it. Nothing much to do but look at it and recall out.
The star room was kinda neat, was an all black medium sized room with I believe gems scattered all around that gave the affect of star's, hence the name star room. There might have been some steps and statues and such in there, I forget at this point. Perhaps some one has an old pic of that room. Would be neat to see that again.

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you ever saw what a white wyrm looked like before your client was patched (a black dragon with different colored/rainbow veins all over it), this is what that cloth looked like. So for some reason i think it would be just white wyrm colored cloth or another color that our client doesn't know how to display. It wouldn't be all that cool looking...imho.

Over the years i have seen this come up on test and on items that later would have a new color that i had not seen before.

L

lupushor

Ok, i just have to ask this (warning : it's a joke not a real question).

If the Rainbow Cloth is illegal cos the client crashes by not managing to handle the colors, then how come anyone ever saw it to confirm it existed?

:lol:

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, i just have to ask this (warning : it's a joke not a real question).

If the Rainbow Cloth is illegal cos the client crashes by not managing to handle the colors, then how come anyone ever saw it to confirm it existed?

:lol:
well played sir, well played indeed.

Radugast

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is an Old picture I dug up from '98. My guildy sent me the picture of my White wyrm which looked normal to me but to him was this funky color.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is an Old picture I dug up from '98. My guildy sent me the picture of my White wyrm which looked normal to me but to him was this funky color.

That pic brings back some memories of the past. Thre player tents around your small huse. In each player tent was one wooden chest for storage. Also
house could be very close to one another along with other objects like trees.
Some players even had a small house on top of thier tower, I'll have to check out the feluccia side of some of the older shards and see whats still exisits
from the past.

C

ChReuter

Btw, the pic in the link Derium posted is not even a live shard. It's the old demo that came along with t2a.

I'd like to see a pic of it on a live shard...

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That pic brings back some memories of the past. Thre player tents around your small huse. In each player tent was one wooden chest for storage. Also
house could be very close to one another along with other objects like trees.
Some players even had a small house on top of thier tower, I'll have to check out the feluccia side of some of the older shards and see whats still exisits
from the past.
There's a Tower on Cats just west of Brit Swamp that still has a small house on the roof. I always thought those were cool. On Napa (near Wind) there used to be a Tower with (I think) an L shape home in front and small houses on either side to block off a courtyard for the tower. That was very cool ;) I also remember the Tower in Buc's Den that had a tree in the front room. The front step you could only get on from the left, the right side was too high compared to the terrain. I used to have a small home in the Moonglow guard zone. I lost it during one of the times I cut back on my UO experience and only paid for my main account. Lots of strange houses back in the day ;)

C

ChReuter

Btw, the pic in the link Derium posted is not even a live shard. It's the old demo that came along with t2a.

I'd like to see a pic of it on a live shard...
What difference would it make? Still the same thing.
Do you really have to ask? I think it's pretty clear why I made the statement I did. There was also a dagger on the demo that slayed a dragon in one hit, I suppose there also stashed away in private collections on the live shards?

I'm not saying that the cloth is a myth, I really don't know. I'm not going to take the word of someone saying they've seen it in game though. I've played this game longer than most, and I've only heard things like "Oh I used to own some of that" and whatnot. It's like bigfoot, so much has been said about this stuff but yet I've never seen one yard or a good screenshot. (Not that screenshots can really be held as evidence.) Basicly, as far as I'm concerned, it's highly suspect.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong though.

C

ChReuter

Did some replies go missing or get deleted from this thread? I swear I posted a reply, nothing that should have been deemed against the rules...

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did some replies go missing or get deleted from this thread? I swear I posted a reply, nothing that should have been deemed against the rules...
they did, but let's just leave it at that. unless you wanna PM me.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would rainbow cloth even crash clients anymore? I assume that was eventually fixed because they let you use any color dye tubs on test center many times.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It no longer crashes clients to my knowledge, however I believe it is still illegal to own.

Pink Sunday Turtle

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If I remember correctly, rainbow cloth was created by the "my little pony (MLP)" Rarity for a Britannia fashion show, which took place many many moons ago. Upon discovering the magical properties associated with this cloth, Twilight Sparkle (MLP) stole the cloth to conjure the most horrific and terrifying Ultima Online beasts of yesteryear, but her plans were eventually fouled by a mysterious pony. The lore surrounding this tale speaks of a pony named rainbow dash, but this has never been verified.

This is all hearsay of course and I can neither confirm nor deny the truth of this tale.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
To be honest, while it's never had the "illegal to own" status cleared, would anyone even notice these days? :D
By the way, I went and tracked down the hue of it after the last time I brought this cloth up, a few months back. It's hue 1470.

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
** picture/attachment deleted **

Teaser arm picture..

Last edited:

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Last time I told the story, how it was obtained, how long it was available and if there is still some hidden away..

I got banned and infraction points.
I did not get banned, but I got a serious reprimand...
Am I A Rebel? I used to own some as well!!! I have some screenshots of it too... Still scared of what might happen if it gets out!

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I did not get banned, but I got a serious reprimand...
Am I A Rebel? I used to own some as well!!! I have some screenshots of it too... Still scared of what might happen if it gets out!
That was over 4 years ago when i had made that post, few mods on stratics back in the day that did not like the idea of certain items being discussed here.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
It is also hue #1595.
Are you sure? The color code given by bloodtile.lycaeum.com for rainbow cloth converted to 1470, not 1595.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Are you sure? The color code given by bloodtile.lycaeum.com for rainbow cloth converted to 1470, not 1595.
I installed the old tutorial disc (after having my uncle ransack his stuff and send it to me) and pulled the info from that.

*shrugs*