• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The "event" for new players.

H

huskiblu

I am double posting this cause I got insta killed just now:

So I came back to UO a few weeks ago. I decided to have this template, and my current stats listed:

Magery - 89.9
Eval Int - 89.7
Meditation - 115
Focus - 110 (Yet to find a cheap 20 scroll to make it 120)
Hiding - 64.3
Inscription - 50
Resist Spells - 40.6

I planned to have Resist Spells low, so I could have PS in the other skills, but obiously I am not that far yet. Now I was eager to try the event, and two hours later both myself and partner, who also plays UO, went to bed very upset. All I had was lag that killed me, and dropped down a title, and lost about 20k in insurance gold. I tried to kill things, but things were SO bad on Pacific, it was impossible. The game continued to crash on my machine (it's brand new, I got it Saturday, not to brag, but it's nice!). All I got was looting for some gold, and crappy jewelry. Most I did was hit one of the red demon's with some e-bolts. After I finally got out, I sent a rant to a GM through the help system, demanding the fix this. It was more of a rant than anything. And right now, I want to partially quit the game. I remember previous events, like the Solen event, non-high level characters could do. This morning I pop in the gate at Glow, and I know I don't have a chance.

Are they trying to scare newbies away? What fun is this quest? It actually bothered me so much, I had nightmares about it!

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What, you don't have a character with all 120s and artifacts? Hahaha [/Sarcasm].

I'm in the same boat, I don't have an uber leet character of doom, so you know what I do in these events? Die. It really gets tiring that every event we seem to have is like this, the same ol' kill everything - And they're so deadly that you'll need a small atomic device to succeed!

But thats UOs event, made for the strong, not the fun.

H

huskiblu

And not to be rude to you, but that's BS. When did UO turn into Everquest where all the good stuff is for the "l33tz" only? I walked through the gate, seconds after like 5 players did, two with dragons, and we -all- died within seconds. So now, I get to wait for the overpriced items to hit the market so I can get a crack at them. I can't even afford the 115 PS for Magery! Ugh...

G

In EA's defense, the playerbase tends to be older and more established so they try to make these events challenging for them. Unfortunately, the new players fall by the wayside in this regard. It would be nice if they could balance some things out. Have a central area you pop into, head one way, you get the easier creatures that new players can contribute on, head the other direction, you get the mega-powerful creatures for the more experienced adventurers. Still, with your character what you could do is contribute to a party. You can still and occasionally resurrect, I'd imagine. In the right party, you can contribute and share in the spoils. Also, I try to share with those who lend support but don't benefit from it, like healers and those who discord. I have collected quite a few planar swords and shields. I can give you and your partner a set if you'd like. They're nothing special, insofar as starts are concerned, but who knows? They may have some importance down the line.

H

huskiblu

<blockquote><hr>

In EA's defense, the playerbase tends to be older and more established so they try to make these events challenging for them. Unfortunately, the new players fall by the wayside in this regard. It would be nice if they could balance some things out. Have a central area you pop into, head one way, you get the easier creatures that new players can contribute on, head the other direction, you get the mega-powerful creatures for the more experienced adventurers. Still, with your character what you could do is contribute to a party. You can still and occasionally resurrect, I'd imagine. In the right party, you can contribute and share in the spoils. Also, I try to share with those who lend support but don't benefit from it, like healers and those who discord. I have collected quite a few planar swords and shields. I can give you and your partner a set if you'd like. They're nothing special, insofar as starts are concerned, but who knows? They may have some importance down the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your very very nice to offer that, but you earned them. I wanted to earn these event items myself, to earn a rare and show it off. My partner and I tried to party...when we could find each other in the mess. I think Ill just train on some Tuski Wolves to earn back some gold and fame and such. No competition for them now if everyone is at the event.

Thanks for the advice, Ill try to follow it.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

And not to be rude to you, but that's BS. When did UO turn into Everquest where all the good stuff is for the "l33tz" only?

[/ QUOTE ]

You just have to use your brain to get the best stuff. Even my crafter with no combat skills can get it. However it requires not complaining and researching just a little bit.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used my "Paladin" who is currently in a transition to a Bush/Chiv Warrior during the event and he fared pretty well.

I don't have any major arties. I've built a half decent all 70's suit using minor arties and some 7th anny gifts + jewelry (my goal was to build an all-metal set, but I cheated on my gorget).

110 Swords (I don't think I'll ever afford a 120 Swords, might go for 115).
100 Anatomy
100 Tactics
95 Healing (still grinding)
77 Parry (still grinding)
80 Chiv (locked)
45 Bushido (just started grinding)

120 Str
116 Dex
25 Int

He's hardly an uber character, but I'm having fun with him so far.

I did okay... I wasn't able to solo much, but I could jump in and help one or two others taking down an angel or wisp or whatever. I died 3 or 4 times during the event, but nice folks nearby always rez'd me!

Again, I do not have any major arties, no fancy totems, no crimson cinc, none of that mess. I left with 2 Planeswords and 1 Thread of Life.

So no, I don't think you don't have to be a top-end PvMer to play the event.

As far as going in and getting immediately toasted... that does suck. Maybe wait till a more populated time to try and jump in? They should definitely scale the number of critters to the number of players.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Search for use of blackrock thread in this forum and that will give you your answer.

G

Events come in a wide variety of power levels. In some we prosper, in some we crawl away from to reassemble the shreds of our dignity. I'm not entirely new, but I tend to spend my time playing on the low end of the challenge curve so, as I feared might happen, I'm pretty helpless too. Ah well, there are still lots of things to do and a mystery still to help solve.

( and after two years of stubbornly refusing to throw around Armageddon spells, I'm not going to start recklessly throwing it around now
)

H

huskiblu

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

And not to be rude to you, but that's BS. When did UO turn into Everquest where all the good stuff is for the "l33tz" only?

[/ QUOTE ]

You just have to use your brain to get the best stuff. Even my crafter with no combat skills can get it. However it requires not complaining and researching just a little bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know who the hell you think you are. For a mod you are rude, and that is not how to help a new/returning player. I did research it, but how can I fix lag, crashes, and similar issues?

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

So I came back to UO a few weeks ago. I decided to have this template, and my current stats listed:

Magery - 89.9
Eval Int - 89.7
Meditation - 115
Hiding - 64.3
Inscription - 50
Resist Spells - 40.6

All I got was looting for some gold, and crappy jewelry. Most I did was hit one of the red demon's with some e-bolts. After I finally got out, I sent a rant to a GM through the help system, demanding the fix this. It was more of a rant than anything. And right now, I want to partially quit the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off... your character is horrible... you can't even cast ebolt or explosion without fizzling...

These skills are super easy to train...

110.0focus
100.0eval
100.0magery
115.0mediation
100.0resist

for eval and resist... make a macro in UOA (if you have it) or do it by hand... if you don't.

Get a 100% LRC 40%LMC with any Mana Regen you can put on it (this suit is easy as heck to make since these are only properties you are worried about)

record a UOA macro with the following

cast spell - curse
target self
pause 1000
cast spell - weaken
target self
pause 1000
cast spell - feeble mind
target self
pause 1000
cast spell - clumbsy
target self
pause 1000

make "play macro" one of your buttons (I use F12) and then take a piece of paper and fold it... wedge it into the F12 button on your keyboard so that it is always pressed down...

grab a good book and start reading... and in no time your character will be completely done.

*shrugs*

Seems like this is nobodies fault but yours... because when you're done with your character I assume we'll be seeing a post saying DEVS MAKE THESE EVENTS HARDER... IM BORED!!!!

<blockquote><hr>

Are they trying to scare newbies away? What fun is this quest? It actually bothered me so much, I had nightmares about it!

[/ QUOTE ]

No... but, as a newbie you do realize that you're limited in the things you can do... right? And who said you couldn't get in with a decently developed crowd and play a support role?

If the group was decent... they'd share the spoils with you and you'd feel pretty good about being a part of something...

G

its funny, Tomas, i saw you die plenty and i'm sure you weren't on your crafter...

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

There was nothing about this event that gave any indication that it was new player friendly.

You can still bring a new player and get loot rights on a couple of things I suppose, and that new character will have a neat feeling of being tossed into the center of the storm before he's ready (in classic fantasy fashion).

But no....Nothing in the leadup to this gave me any indication that it was going to be new player friendly.

-Galen's player

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Your very very nice to offer that, but you earned them. I wanted to earn these event items myself, to earn a rare and show it off. My partner and I tried to party...when we could find each other in the mess. I think Ill just train on some Tuski Wolves to earn back some gold and fame and such. No competition for them now if everyone is at the event.

Thanks for the advice, Ill try to follow it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 2 options for you.

1. Wait for a better geared &amp; skilled character to attack something first to draw the aggro then attack yourself to get looting rights.

2. Find a small group you can party with, and play the dedicated healer, with everyone splitting the spoils while working as a group.

It just takes some thought and initiative.

If I could take a 110 Fencer into Doom way back when with just Chiv, and walk out after my second trip there with an Orny, you can work this event with these fairly midline creatures and get a sword or shield, or both.

G

My main character, Littleblue, is lowly skilled. I love playing, but don't really like to 'grind' my skills, so all of her skills are rather low. Magery is about 77, Meditation 92, Taming Skills in the low 60's.

Even though I can't kill the creatures, I've found that many players on Chesapeake are leaving the gold out on the ground for others, and just looting the corpses that have turned to bones has allowed me to offset my insurance losses a little.

I've even made some new hunting friends, too, just from trying to heal/cure when I can. I was given a Planar Sword and Shield just a few minutes ago, which I thought was very, very nice! Thank you Big Sexy! *smiles*

Oh...and no arties or uber suit, either. Just some basic LRC pieces that I've found. While I wish there was some spawn for all levels of players, I am still able to participate and have plenty of fun, even with my lowly skill levels.

Just get out there, don't fret the deaths, and have fun! Before you know it, others will be helping you, especially if you lend a hand in their direction when you can.

Edit ~ Not replying directly to you, Conner. I just clicked "Reply" quickly.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Magery - 89.9
Eval Int - 89.7
Meditation - 115
Hiding - 64.3
Inscription - 50
Resist Spells - 40.6

[/ QUOTE ]
Get some Energy Vortex scrolls and cast them. They do wonders.

I

imported_xStrikerx

EVs sure do amaze me...at how fast they get dispelled.

I

imported_Farsight

I feel your pain. I truly do. Myself, I've been returned for about half a year now, but I do have all the great template/arties that make a character supposedly viable for such a thing. Even so, the event is VERY obviously not geared toward me or my character.

As with you, I also found a problem with my client crashing on my computer. At first I thought that I crashed every time something attacked me, but later it didn't matter. I simply crashed while in the other Moonglow. Just for information purposes, I also crash in New Haven next to the donation pillar. Right now I'm trying to redownload/reinstall UO to see if that fixes my problem, which is at least two hours of my computer's time. But on my desktop, UO seems to run well.

Then, with the lag at the start of the event, I was left in the role of ressurecting everyone who rushed in all gung ho with no plan or teamwork. There were an awful lot of those people. I spent literally half an hour (or more) of doing nothing but standing next to the bank (this is Cats by the way) casting continuous resurrects, only pausing to regenerate mana. If I wasn't already capped at 110, it would have been incredible training.

So unlike you, who actually did get a few thousand gold, all I got was a few dozen half assed "ty" as people ran away, only to return a minute later with a new set of death robes.

By the time I could move between ressurects, things were still so laggy that by the time I got the targetting curser from an ebolt or a flame strike, somebody's pet autodefended the wisp or ethereal whatever to death. I only saw one shadowlord, and I crashed and missed the fight. I apparenly did pretty well, as I died valiantly.

So the highlight of my day was in role playing with my guild mates and other members of the Catskills role playing circle, which I could have done anywhere.

Then there's the whole blackrock thing. I don't have any, I don't have a miner to get it... not that I would mine anyway, since it's so boring that.... well, it's boring. And I couldn't find any on vendors or with friends. Which means that I'm not in the target audience (which is veteran players who have made the other events) anyway. It also means that I can't go casting armageddon at the big things, which is apparently the only way to get the cloaks of corruption now that the word is out.

As a whole, I've decided that this event isn't geared toward me-as-new player, and while disappointed, I'm not surprised.

But at least they're putting forth an effort, and (more importantly) they're learning from their mistakes and listening to the advice of the players. That's something they've been known for not doing in the past.

And on the other side of the coin, they did have an event that was geared toward newer players recently with the 10th anniversary artifact drops. It quickly turned into people with their uber characters killing low end spawns faster than anything could spawn, which left me-as-new character unable to train in any of the old dungeons. So at least this event distracts others from my exploration of the world.

H

huskiblu

Thanks to some of you for the advice, and to the others, meh.

I have a hard time finding friends in any MMO, maybe because I have been burned by a few, starting with the ones I met in UO a long time ago. I am looking at a couple guilds, who knows though.

Yes, I know older players are in UO, but those "older" players will leave, and all that will be left will be us returning and new players.

And to some of you, it's easy to talk when you have "uber" gear. I just bought a nice spellbook a day or two ago, now I am having to save up for another piece of "uber" gear. Let's hope I am as ****y as you when I reach that point.

G

Well I mean I don't think this even was meant to be for new players. But like has been mentioned, you can get looting rights on shadowlords no matter who you are if you have blackrock.

My issue is that yet again, tamers are required to accomplish anything. When there are so many high damage out put creatures, including ones that radiate damage its pretty hard to do much fighting unless its through a high hp/high resist dragon or cu. It grows old.

C

Connor_Graham

You need to start a character on Pacific. My house is open as a home base of operations for ya.

H

huskiblu

<blockquote><hr>

You need to start a character on Pacific. My house is open as a home base of operations for ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is where my character is at.

C

Connor_Graham

My issue is that yet again, tamers are required to accomplish anything.

On Siege maybe, but definitely not on the production shards.

H

huskiblu

<blockquote><hr>

What's your character's name?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huskiblu, same as on here.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What are you carrying for a weapon? Don't say 'Spellbook' because unless you have 100+ Wrestle (which I doubt you have) your effective melee skill is 0. That means these monsters will hit you 98% of the time.

Get a set of swords of prosperity or some other mage -0 spell channel weapon and you will be much better off.

So many 'mages' make this mistake and then while.

Don't hate the game - understand it.

I got half of my event items from just looting others corpses they choose not to.

G

I have to admit I'm rather embarrassed at how easily I've become discouraged. I can't really blame the character, so it's rather humbling to be confronted by the reality that most players are on a whole different level of skill than I am.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

My issue is that yet again, tamers are required to accomplish anything. When there are so many high damage out put creatures, including ones that radiate damage its pretty hard to do much fighting unless its through a high hp/high resist dragon or cu. It grows old.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dexer has had 1000 times more success in this event than my tamer or mage...

I

imported_xStrikerx

<blockquote><hr>

What are you carrying for a weapon? Don't say 'Spellbook' because unless you have 100+ Wrestle (which I doubt you have) your effective melee skill is 0. That means these monsters will hit you 98% of the time.

Get a set of swords of prosperity or some other mage -0 spell channel weapon and you will be much better off.

So many 'mages' make this mistake and then while.

Don't hate the game - understand it.

I got half of my event items from just looting others corpses they choose not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a mage with a spellbook with no points in wrestling and I'm doing fine. I wouldnt use a mage weapon over my spellbook in PvM anyways. If a monster is hitting you with melee RUN AWAY. Also you do have defensive wrestling from the eval int + anatomy formula.