• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The direction of UO from the franchise producer

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

After the openness of Draconi's team, I've been a bit let down under the tenure of Cal, but really "inaction" would be incorrect in regards to his team. If anything, Cal's tenure will be remembered as one of more things happening behind the scenes. New server hardware, at least the beginnings of the artwork update, and once completed and the bugs dealt with the new account management system (and probably a LOT more that's not coming to mind or simply we don't know about).

Other than the account management issues, I think you'd be fairly hard pressed to find any one specific reason for any decline in UO subs considering we DID have a change in leadership and direction, but you also have had a real world economy that has been in the dump (ok yeah, had to figure out a "nice" word for that one) for the past 2-3 years meaning people have been reassessing how they spend their money assuming they've been able to keep themselves reasonably employed, and for some people it was "simply time to leave".

I still have my own reservations about the current team, including a statement made in this thread, but I'm willing to sit back and see our new leader can do and what direction they will take.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No plans Tanivar to jettison one of the clients. At this point, we're married to both for life.

- Jeff
I'd feel a lot more confident about the future of EA's Ultima Online if we would get some word from an official source regarding whether or not the new version of Ultima Online that NetDragon Websoft is developing will eventually replace it. The 2009 press release describing the arrangement between EA and NetDragon says NetDragon will have the exclusive operating license for China, Hong Kong, Macau, and India. It says nothing about the rest of the world, which to me means that in theory EA could decide to operate NetDragon's version of UO outside those countries as a replacement for the version of UO that we play today. And wouldn't that be the perfect conclusion to all the hints we've had that EA is working on improving UO's graphics/artwork? (Yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic.)

NetDragon Websoft Inc.--EA and NetDragon Enter Agreement to Develop Ultima Online--ir.netdragon.com

T

Trebr Drab

Jeff

If you decide to switch to a single client, please note the percentages of players who use the CC and who use the EC.

Word out here has it that the vast majority are using the Classic Client. Check the offical numbers on your end of things before making any changes.

I use the Classic Client over the Exasperating Client because even with less features, it's a much nicer client. I have both installed and updated because the EC has some good features among the bad.

My 2 gold pieces. :)
Tanivar, other than bugs and such, and outside of the art and animations, what don't you like about the EC?

My feeling is this...If the EC worked right, and if the art was replaced with art that looked much more like the CC art, yet with the greater smoothness of the EC, and also with better animation effects (stop/start, walking in place issues, etc.), I felt that this would be the way to go.

But I have not been able to play the EC for long, even though I've tried various times, due to the art, the lesser sharpness, and the animations. So there may be more to it that I know about, as far as what you're saying.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jeff I hope you know what you've gotten yourself into!;)

I can guarantee you here at stratics 95% of what you will receive will be negative feedback and complaining but keep in mind it's because people love UO and the Ultima Franchise. I will be amongst those yelling and pancakes and moaning about this or that.

Many of us are concerned about the future of UO and want to see it around for many more years to come. Many of us realize the key to that is attracting new players to join this great game others seem oblivious to that reality and want things to remain just as they are.:coco:

This year has not been good for UO and I'm sure some of it has to do with EA's stock plummeting. I'm not sure where to lay blame and how short staffed you guys are but some communication albeit however small goes a long way.

There are many loyal fans of UO who have been playing this game on and off from it's inception and because of our strong passion for the game we like to here from the powers that be from time to time.

I wish you lots of luck and I hope you have a longterm plan on how to keep UO going for another 10-20 years or more.:thumbsup:

C

canary

To those who have already cited Draconi's tenure as a positive one, I will also agree it is because of his openness, and his eagerness to discuss ideas and issues, that helped to make him beloved and respected. Not secretive or behind the scenes, as numerous other development team members/ producers have been or still are. Heck, I'll even toss in CatHat. He was never afraid to chat with people and interact. He too was well respected and still recalled fondly.

A number of them could really take a page from how Draconi did things.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked wilki or was it wiki? Been a while but hell that man even answered one of my emails and I thought he did a great job with open communication. I'm not knocking Draconi he did great also.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Communication is good, but it is more important to back it up with action.

We had 2 years of Vaporware Marketing. Please no more. Products that you sell 1 time like a TV, you can get away with 100% hype and zero substance, but not products like UO where you depend on continuing sales.

The new producer should try to keep everyone on his side, especially pom pom posters who post here very very very regularly, but just dont trust their judgement, as it has been these same posters who have been cheering on blindly waving the pom poms during what has been UOs worst period. Subscription numbers dont lie.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To those who have already cited Draconi's tenure as a positive one, I will also agree it is because of his openness, and his eagerness to discuss ideas and issues, that helped to make him beloved and respected. Not secretive or behind the scenes, as numerous other development team members/ producers have been or still are. Heck, I'll even toss in CatHat. He was never afraid to chat with people and interact. He too was well respected and still recalled fondly.

A number of them could really take a page from how Draconi did things.
I think what you really mean is how he did things considering the extreeme stress and budget cuts he was being forced to accept ?

Here is a Dev that did his best, and then came back to us AFTER like a human.

He admitted then the "godly" GM "in a broad sense" robe is something that sheds after all. This is basic philosophy...

That was a virtuous thing of the moment, and yes Jeff we are here to back you 100% and the logic is that since Draconi, we have learned not to be quick to judge and anger. We are quite a funny bunch actually (actually at a point with some members of this community that if we met in person, there would be sparks flying around lol) We are fractured like the gem and this is both lovely and dangerous...

That is one of the first lesson of the Ultima series ; I figure if you have the rights to the Ultimas, why not make the most out of it ? There will always be this type of market in MMOs, the type that goes 100% feeling and will flock to anyone make it "feel right" that would give the Ultima feel ; so rich and humorous that even without music it's palatable.

But all those players, your market ; is mostly old and by now would need a SERIOUS rattle in the cage to get bothered into joining again. Like the true Ultima story (however improbably PG-13 that ever was)...

(can you change that stupid rating?, it's a stick in UO's wheels)

And the extreemness of the paradox is examplified in the phenomenon of the last years, they new players you try to attract with you new stuff (BTW congrats the art is amazing, SA and HS teams, I mean it)

they don't care about us

, they step on the shards of the community gem and although they cannot break it down further (soft feet against hard gem) they make out facets full of dirt and scratches that is like a slow subconscious torture...

They will sell their their loyalty for a chance at fame or power while we stand below for eternity wishing we had a chance to stop time and feel how much we love each other after all, just for being perseverant ; just for being here after 14 years...

14 years.... hahahaha you guys realise ?

Oh and yes, since you are catching up... this is why UO is different from other games, it taught us what eternity is.

We now know...

I will conclude by uttering another warning ; if any of you make Lady Storm quit, I'll never forgive you.

Anyone that knows where water went tonight is as strong as a diamond in a world of clay !