• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Demise of the Skill house

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

Seems this is the thread this should go in, so here goes.

I decided to skill sims in TC3 recently, because I fear skill houses will give it up in time. I had a really hard time finding body most of the time, so I offered to move into one house so that I would have a place to skill. The owner was happy to have a roomate that actually helps, most are unskilled, off to work, no shows. After a few days of helping to host that house, while my other sim skilled, I must say, there is no way I would ever run a skill house under these conditions. I have spent far more on feeding sims and calling the repairman than I have come close to collecting in my little tip jar. And yes, I was a good host, I cooked for them, I kept them full of energy and social, trouble is, most players just don't bother tipping ---&gt; . I saw so many landing from a sim job, green up, skill a bit, green up, and off to work they went again. Now I have no idea who has been in TC3 telling all the newbies that a sim job is the thing to do first but it sure seems someone has. The game play there is like an entire foreign version of the TSO I loved. I have done sim jobs, I know they don't pay much. They certainly don't get you far with no skills, and few friend links, yet these poor new players are thinking they have to go to work. They don't seem to be having much fun, work work work... and I didn't see any of them saying they were enjoying it. I just want to say Shame on YOU to whoever is feeding them with "get a job" so early in their sim days. I can't imagine this way of playing making them want to become subscribers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting a job in TC3 is the best way to get involved and have fun interacting with others. Forming work groups and going to work with other people is actually fun and interactive. You would rather them sit around in an afk skill house for hours? We've seen how many players that kept. Jam after jam bored more players to death than I can possibly count. I recommend the job tracks to all new players because once you have promoted through the ranks, the diner and robot jobs pay the most amount of simoleans for time spent working than anything else in TC3 at this time. I will continue to reccommend this interactive form of entertainment to all new players. Many of us have alot of fun working together.

As for working in a skill house. I agree with you there. Anyone that enjoys running a skill house is a saint in my book and I always tip!

G

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

Seems this is the thread this should go in, so here goes.

I decided to skill sims in TC3 recently, because I fear skill houses will give it up in time. I had a really hard time finding body most of the time, so I offered to move into one house so that I would have a place to skill. The owner was happy to have a roomate that actually helps, most are unskilled, off to work, no shows. After a few days of helping to host that house, while my other sim skilled, I must say, there is no way I would ever run a skill house under these conditions. I have spent far more on feeding sims and calling the repairman than I have come close to collecting in my little tip jar. And yes, I was a good host, I cooked for them, I kept them full of energy and social, <u>trouble is, most players just don't bother tipping</u> ---&gt; . I saw so many landing from a sim job, green up, skill a bit, green up, and off to work they went again. Now I have no idea who has been in TC3 telling all the newbies that a sim job is the thing to do first but it sure seems someone has. The game play there is like an entire foreign version of the TSO I loved. I have done sim jobs, I know they don't pay much. They certainly don't get you far with no skills, and few friend links, yet these poor new players are thinking they have to go to work. They don't seem to be having much fun, work work work... and I didn't see any of them saying they were enjoying it. I just want to say Shame on YOU to whoever is feeding them with "get a job" so early in their sim days. I can't imagine this way of playing making them want to become subscribers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, what did you expect????
You kept serving "lite" beer!!!

psssshhh, some people!

G

They were working their bodies, can't be filling them up with calories, of course it was lite beer!

G

<blockquote><hr>

They were working their bodies, can't be filling them up with calories, of course it was lite beer!

[/ QUOTE ]
Still........ it's almost sacreligious.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ALMOST? !!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ALMOST? !!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it coulda been that 'flavored' beer that Sam Adams is coming out with.

Beer is sposed to taste like.... well... beer. Not raspberries or lemons or aspidistras.

C

Creed84

<blockquote><hr>

TSO is becoming a 2D Second Life

You mean "There", don't you? SL allows true custom content creation without censorship. In There, only a limited range of objects can be created and they all need prior approval before being made available for sale/use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I will tell you.. the free subscription of There can be more appealing than the paid subscription of TSO. I love playing spades there and the other games. Love how you skill up in titles:) In there with a very cheap once a year subscription, you can even change the physical look of your avatar.

C

caroleatdesigns

TSO, my love, my sad. I was very disappointed when they took away MAZE because of the cheaters. I know that simoleons were being bought and sold on eBay. The players who cheated should have been booted.

But, our Skills houses, where we could chat and build our skills, nobody cheated. So why, oh why, must EA eliminate the things we love about TSO? If this game becomes a boring chat room, I too, as a founder, will become a flounder and swim back to my favorite Sims privately, on my PC. TSO has been the best online game ever - was. If I had wanted WOW or any of the other games, <font color="green">wars, battles</font>,<font color="red"> blood</font> and <font color="green">more violence</font>, I <u>would have abandoned</u> my beloved TSO long ago. I <u>don't want</u> a boring, never do anything that Sim truly does, game.

<center>Sims DO

<ul> [*]Skill
[*]clean
[*]work at jobs
[*]earn with job objects
[*]cook
[*]eat
[*]sleep
[*]do social things
[*]do fun things
[/list]</center>

Since the TC/TC3 merge has been postponed, does that mean that EA is rethinking what it is doing to TSO? We founders have worked hard over the years, to help make TSO something special. Don't take our game from us. Make some changes, sure, but don't destroy that which has been Simmy, that which we helped, through wipes and swipes, grow. We didn't abandon TSO, EA did. Please keep our Sims alive, with all our strange loves. Think about why we chose family over feud.

SIMply Yours,

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

But, our Skills houses, where we could chat and build our skills, nobody cheated.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO....wait a sec while I clean off my computer screen because I did a 'spit-take' when I read this. You are a founder and you don't know about players using alts to run up guest time?

There are a lot of cheaters in skills houses. You may wonder how they are cheating?.....They load up their houses with a ton of alternates/trials and then they run up guest time which places them highly ranked on the top 100 list which is directly linked to the 'achievement' bonus.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

But, our Skills houses, where we could chat and build our skills, nobody cheated.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO....wait a sec while I clean off my computer screen because I did a 'spit-take' when I read this. You are a founder and you don't know about players using alts to run up guest time?

There are a lot of cheaters in skills houses. You may wonder how they are cheating?.....They load up their houses with a ton of alternates/trials and then they run up guest time which places them highly ranked on the top 100 list which is directly linked to the 'achievement' bonus.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't wanna put too fine a point on it, and I understand the sentiment - but the alts/trials is not cheating. The PTB put the ability to have those accounts out there for people to use and..... people used them - man, did they ever use them. *Abuse* maybe, but well within the rules.
Even the evil 'botters' were not "cheating" in the real sense (as outlined by EA), unless they used a program or other means to alter the game code or overcome the in-game rules. Most bots that I have heard of don't do that.
What *is* cheating (and y'all are gonna hate me for this) is the 'clothing override' (cuz it alters game code) and the weight on the (you know what) key so you can stay afk past the 15 minute time-out limit, because it overcomes in-game rules concerning AFKing. (which I would never, ever do.
)

G

Haha Donovan that is the truth of it.

While having the alts may give them an advantage, someone is paying a subscription for that advantage.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't wanna put too fine a point on it, and I understand the sentiment - but the alts/trials is not cheating. The PTB put the ability to have those accounts out there for people to use and..... people used them - man, did they ever use them. *Abuse* maybe, but well within the rules.
Even the evil 'botters' were not "cheating" in the real sense (as outlined by EA), unless they used a program or other means to alter the game code or overcome the in-game rules. Most bots that I have heard of don't do that.
What *is* cheating (and y'all are gonna hate me for this) is the 'clothing override' (cuz it alters game code) and the weight on the (you know what) key so you can stay afk past the 15 minute time-out limit, because it overcomes in-game rules concerning AFKing. (which I would never, ever do.
)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I agree Donovan. "Technically" it's not 'cheating'.

However it's because of the 'abuse' that's led to getting rid of the top 100 bonus. It's not like the devs were sitting there one day and said "HEY, let's just mess over those skill houses a bit".

(And I never ever ever.....override the time out. LMAO *checks nose in the mirrors*
)

G

Perhaps this news about reduction in cost of food will help with the predicted future demise of skill lots.

Personally I've spent a large proportion of my sim life at skill lots - both visiting and hosting, some of the best times I've had in the game were on a skill lot with a great crowd of people (not afk). The skilling was secondary to hanging out and having a really good laugh.

Sure skilling can be boring but it all depends on the company you keep ... I'd hate to see busy and active skill lots decline to the point of being obsolete, there again if we have plenty of other places to hang out with a great crowd, maybe I won't miss them.

Polly

C

caroleatdesigns

You MUST be one of those people, else how do you know so much about what they do, and how?

We true Sims choose not to have private software do our work, we choose not to have "BOTS". If you choose that life, may I suggest you find another game with your incredible 3D characters. We Sims like now, liked before and will continue to like our 2D lifestyles. We may have more than one account so that we can have more than one Sim in one city. But we don't cheat.

And remember ROFL doesn't inclue any profanity, as does the child/teen LMAO or LMFAO. You should get a life and clean up your language.

C

caroleatdesigns

You hit the nail on the head. Part of being in a skills house is being able to make friends without having to worry about an exploding robot or a bunch of mad diners. Our Sims can increase their skill levels, relax and chat. Sometimes we tip our hosts but we also try to help keep the house clean and in good repair.

One thing that can help our Sims have wonderful lives is to build great neighborhoods within our communities. Neighborhoods with all the various types of homes insures plenty of visitors, not just to our skills houses, but to all our homes.

EA should really study Sim society and stop studying other worlds. If they do what it smells like they are about to do with EA-Land, then our skills house demise will be a moot point because Sim society will no longer exist. Everything Simmy will vanish. Welcome to EA-WOW-land.

G

<blockquote><hr>

You MUST be one of those people, else how do you know so much about what they do, and how?

We true Sims choose not to have private software do our work, we choose not to have "BOTS". If you choose that life, may I suggest you find another game with your incredible 3D characters. We Sims like now, liked before and will continue to like our 2D lifestyles. We may have more than one account so that we can have more than one Sim in one city. But we don't cheat.

And remember ROFL doesn't inclue any profanity, as does the child/teen LMAO or LMFAO. You should get a life and clean up your language.

[/ QUOTE ]
Steps back to avoid the shrapnel.........

Gosh, it must be wonderful to be a "true Sim". (Sigh)
Do you get, like, a name badge and a secret handshake?

... just askin'.

V

vapd3317

I already put on the flak vest and have been filling sandbags since I first read the post....sending out a squad to check the perimeter now. Just about ready to order a complete black out and radio silence until the dust settles.

I would invite ya over, but all I have is lite beer, and CG needs that for when she hosts the skill house again.

C

caroleatdesigns

<blockquote><hr>

Gosh, it must be wonderful to be a "true Sim". (Sigh)
Do you get, like, a name badge and a secret handshake?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is wonderful.
And no, just the life of a Sim.
We like our skills houses. We want them to remain alive and vigorous because we need our skills and we want our friendships to grow and expand.

We also enjoy booting rude, crude and abusive un-Sims from our homes. That's the only schrapnel you might want to dodge.

C

caroleatdesigns

Are you in IH, BF, TC or TC3?
Otherwise you couldn't invite me over.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never used software and I do not support the 'bot' software and if YOU had read ANY of the threads I've posted regarding 'bot' software then you'd know that your response is just total inflamatory.

I play the game ALOT. Last night was the first night in months that I did not log on for at least an hour to check out things. (I think meeting and greeting with Paula Deen was a worthwhile distraction from TSO) When you play the game as much as some of us do, there are certain things you start noticing and then you start connecting the dots.

I enjoy each and everyone of my sims. They each have their own persona, they each have their own tasks and abilities, they each have their own goals and ambitions. And if someone didn't know I had multiples, I could have them all on, in the same house and they would never know they were mine because they all talk, they all socialize, they rarely if ever are 'afk'.

Without bot software, I have and can have 2 sims at a pizza table, one hosting a busy money house, one skilling in another city and one working the restaurant with 4 other players and never miss a beat. I enjoy TSO and find that I wanna do it all. I for one am NOT bored and have never been bored. What I do find boring is constantly hearing people 'complaining' in game. THAT is boring.

I hear people say "I'm going to let go of" such and such or so many of my accounts. I look at my sims and think....there isn't a single one I could release because I love them all.

Sorry to tell you, but my little 3d avatars are staying right here at TSO and my mouth will continue to run.

People point the finger should be very careful. With only 6 posts behind this particular screen name, makes one wonder who you really are especially after reading back over your 6 posts.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never used software and I do not support the 'bot' software and if YOU had read ANY of the threads I've posted regarding 'bot' software then you'd know that your response is just total inflamatory.

I play the game ALOT. Last night was the first night in months that I did not log on for at least an hour to check out things. (I think meeting and greeting with Paula Deen was a worthwhile distraction from TSO) When you play the game as much as some of us do, there are certain things you start noticing and then you start connecting the dots.

I enjoy each and everyone of my sims. They each have their own persona, they each have their own tasks and abilities, they each have their own goals and ambitions. And if someone didn't know I had multiples, I could have them all on, in the same house and they would never know they were mine because they all talk, they all socialize, they rarely if ever are 'afk'.

Without bot software, I have and can have 2 sims at a pizza table, one hosting a busy money house, one skilling in another city and one working the restaurant with 4 other players and never miss a beat. I enjoy TSO and find that I wanna do it all. I for one am NOT bored and have never been bored. What I do find boring is constantly hearing people 'complaining' in game. THAT is boring.

I hear people say "I'm going to let go of" such and such or so many of my accounts. I look at my sims and think....there isn't a single one I could release because I love them all.

Sorry to tell you, but my little 3d avatars are staying right here at TSO and my mouth will continue to run.

As for the demise of skill houses, I think the new changes will encourage 'quality' services at skill houses instead of quantity. There is nothing like going to a house run by a multiple player sim and they can't handle them and their guests suffer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dutch, my hats off to you!!! I run 5 sims and also love playing them all. All done without the use of bots or other third party programs. They each have their own specific personality and talents. It takes incredible attention to detail and ability to multitask in order to do that effectively.

With multiple paid accounts, "WE" are entitled to play each and everyone of them either individually or at the same time. Those that only have one subscription, or a computer that can't handle multiple instances of TSO and find fault in our abilities, only point fingers and make accusations because they are unable to achieve the same results.

So if my abilities (and my PC) allow me to run group money objects all by my lonesome, without some obnoxius turd forced upon me as a teammate, makes me a cheater?........bingo,...wheres my little cheater patch for my shoulder. I will wear it proudly.

I

imported_Shirl1211

Only a dishonest player would accuse another of being a cheater. Have you ever heard of a talent called "MULTITASKING?" I thought not! No need to respond to my comment because I choose to ignore ignorance at all cost.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW!!! I think it's time to climb down off that cross and forgive us multitasking sinners. I also run MANY sims at once and I also pay to run those MANY sims at once. I do not use bots to create money nor do I "cheat" in any other way.

Skillhouses are going to be around for a long long time, no need to get those panties all wadded up and claim the end of the world quite yet. Oh yeah, welcome to stratics hon.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I think 'that' post has gotten us a bit 'off topic'.

I know that I have faithfully made my monthly subscription fee on each and every one of my accounts for years. It's nice to have a family of sims that you can always count on to be there help out day after day, year after year.

If you are earnestly playing those sims without aid of extra software, it should not be considered 'cheating'.

However, I think there is a very fine line between using multiples for enjoyment and using multiples merely to 'harrass' other players and to arbitrarily run up guest time just to 'squash' competition. Technically speaking, it's not cheating if they load up their house with 18 of their own sims, but it's not necessarily good for the game either. Since it's not good for the game, the devs have decided to get rid of the top 100 bonus.

I don't see getting rid of the top 100 bonus as leading to the demise of skill houses. There are many players that actually enjoy running skill houses and taking away the incentive to run up guest hours may actually give them a chance to have guests.

All multi-taskers are not evil. I will keep running my little family the way I've always runs them and continue to enjoy the game as usual until they pull the plug on me.

May I also point out that you don't have to 'be one of them' to notice things going on around you.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think 'that' post has gotten us a bit 'off topic'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and in case anyone has forgotten the topic:<blockquote><hr>

Got a question, or maybe just a thought. Now that there is Zero payout for Top 100 lots in TC3 and will be the same in EA-Land,whats to become of the skill lot?Most sims I know, including myself,that run skill lots,mainly did it for the payout you would get for having so many sims on your lot. And if not for that goal, to at least help pay for the food you put out. Now No bonus,whats to happen. Charge for the buffett?Who wants to host all those sometimes rude sims for nothing?I'm really excited to see what the outcome will be. As for myself, I suppose now would be the time to open yet another money lot. At least I can earn some off the machines I own,and make my own cash while hosting too. I belive we will see less an less skill lots, or Sims Be PREPARED to pay for your food while there.

Your Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

C

caroleatdesigns

To all of you sending the schrapnel, please note that I said

" IF you are one of those "

Therefore, since you are not, no need to be upset.

And I used to post often, but not with this name. That was about 4 years ago.

I still love Sims, our beloved skills houses and our great neighborhoods.

Regards

C

caroleatdesigns

<blockquote><hr>

Now that there is Zero payout for Top 100 lots in TC3 and will be the same in EA-Land,whats to become of the skill lot?Most sims I know, including myself,that run skill lots,mainly did it for the payout you would get for having so many sims on your lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always did what I do because I enjoy having guests and visiting with other Sims. I never worried about payout or getting on the Top 100 lists. I've managed to have 1 very busy day in TC3. It was hard work, keeping up with all those "students". But I wouldn't change having 1,2 or 3 come over at one time. I still feed them for free, hoping some will tip, just to help out. I scuttle over to my job and depend upon that for my expenses (the weekly alowance helps too, LOL).

My bg wish is for <font color="green">roomies </font> - on any lot - to keep the house open, friendly and clean. If more than one would be online at the same time, they could actually trade off going to money lots, their jobs, shopping, whatever. I've had, and so have many others, roomies that never come back.

Skills lots are an important property in TSO. With so many newbie and returning Sims, maybe there are some who feel the same. We can have fun as a team, both in keeping our properties open, working at our jobs and working on the money objects we like.

We should all remember this is just a game,
and interact with each other, especially since that was, I believe, a major part of making "The Sims" more fun than interacting with NPCs and watching the hours scream by as we are "at work". We have more personalities to contend with, here,
while in "The Sims" all our characters end up being extensions of ourselves.
I enjoy meeting Sims from all over the world. It helps make us more Global. Come on over; talk about your r/l part of the world; enrich us with r/l knowledge about your part of the globe.

Happy Holidays,

Carole

I

imported_princess45001

ok im not a sim pro and currently only have 1 account tg with all the issues i miss so many days anymore i think im due for a free month but my question on all these topics lately is does it really matter?i mean seriously we pay to play why does ea care so much how we play?i know we need to be safe and scamming $ etc,but who really cares if some1 is afk or uses other accounts to get house to #1.honestly the competition is part of the fun and without it ive already seen alot of my dear friends leaving.so what if some have millions and other are broke the real difference is the fact the sims with millions are here lots more hours than the sims with none.i had #1 $ house in dg and had millions.now since all this i have gave all money to newbies and very seldom go to dg.i used no programs or cheats to get there,but to keep it there i stayed on alot and worked butt off to keep there now i dont care so dont log on nearly as much.i mean if all it was about was talking and socializing we could just go to free chats and do away with soms all together

G

Maybe put out some tip jars, i would tip you if you were a nice skill house, for sure. you could make a lot of money if you have tip jars out and people know you are a good host.

A

Areeland

I am not against charging for food. It was like that originally. No one had a problem, and even thought it was fine because the owners bought all the items they are using, and were spending their own money to prepare food, not to mention the many hours that are spent to keep the lot open.
I think back before all the freebies people were more respectful toward other players because we were all struggling to make it.
I am looking forward to all the new changes. But yes I have become spoiled too. I am used to the way we played for 5 years, and it is hard to change our way of thinking, but we will .

M

Meggers

Totally agree with you regarding the AFK skillers! So annoying and very rude
-------------------------------------------

Afk is the only way to skill. Sitting there watching a pixel read a book is almost as boring as watching paint dry.

M

Meggers

As for me, the ONLY reason I am still here at this point in time, is because they gave in on a few issues. I will wait it out, till that last shovel of dirt is thrown. If there is still nothing returned I want, or anything new to replace what they have taken, I am outta here.
----------------------------------------------------

I totally agree. I am just waiting to see if this game will be worth paying for after the merge which I seriously doubt.

M

Meggers

I doubt very many people will advertise whats left of TSO now, I think more people will tell others NOT to bother with this "new game".

You can lead a horse to water..................but you can't make it advertise for you......
--------------------------------------------------------

I have several friends, family members and folks who quit long ago. I have told them not to bother coming. If it's worth anything when they get done screwing with it, then I will tell people to join but not before.