• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Best And Worst Expansions Of UO

JoO

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aos is probably the best honestly. It's hard to say but I think it's true. It changed everything about UO. The way the game is played today, fundamentally is owed to that expansion.

Worst I would have to say Samurai empire. How long did it take to fix being shot for over 100 by an archer who honored you? lol, I think they just skipped Q&A all together on that expansion.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aos is probably the best honestly. It's hard to say but I think it's true. It changed everything about UO. The way the game is played today, fundamentally is owed to that expansion.

Worst I would have to say Samurai empire. How long did it take to fix being shot for over 100 by an archer who honored you? lol, I think they just skipped Q&A all together on that expansion.
Oh how I miss those days ..... days of actually being able to hit someone. Doing insane damage was good too ..... but now even with 120 archery you can't hit the broadside of a castle. Imagine a Giant Ogre..... and you miss 5 or 6 of 10 shots.... just why??? 45 or better HCI ...... there is NO reason to be missing that much except the DEV's hate for archers.

Anyway.... enough on that...

As for Trammel..... should never have been created. Now being somewhat of a Trammy I can say this.... what should have been done is that they should have either done consensual PvP... which would have made the most sense.... Or moved the PvP crowd to a new Felluca and left everyone else alone. Should have been a chaotic copy of Trammel not the other way around. They should have set some sort of deadline for the reds to get established and done it. Let them fight it out over new lands ..... could have been rather fun.

Avenrose

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
For me and well the other 100+ hard core players I used to play with the worse addition to UO was AOS and every expansion afterewards ..after pub 16 we saw tunics, power scrolls etc...basicly took all the skill out of PvP ..pre pub 16 UO rained supream in PvP back then PvP was based on player skill (and I mean you the user not your toons skills) you can just make a character be like 50s in your skills and take out 7x GMs in PvP if you were a better player then who you were fighting...now a days PvP is item based not skill, take 2 players with the exact temp, and whomever has the better gear wins ...for PvP anything after pub 16 killed it...Pvm basicly all that added stuff to kill was good...

Now agree or disagree with me don't really care lol..but the fact of the matter that UO peaked at around or over 250k subscribers about 6 months after pub 16 went live then dropped drasticlly after the release of AOS..so my point being a die hard UO player since their first beta back in June of 97...I Wouldnt say I have a best expansion maybe ressinsance so I had tramel to kick it in while I was afk, but for me worse Publish is Pub 16 and worse expansion is everything made AOS and after...now going from a hardcore pvper with no life and hours apon hours of continuous play, done to a few hours a week PvMer...only reason I haven't fully quit because to me its like poker I'm already pot committed might as well stay to the end lol (pot committed 2 16 years account, one made during beta 97 and other made October 97 after release, plus 3 other account, another one be 16 years in may my brothers old account and 2 15 year accounts a friend gave me)

What I would like to see, is them to Bring a new server one that is based of pre pub 16 play, no power scrolls, no tunics,old vanqs, gm armor, 100 skills and can't forget power hour lol them were the glory days and if they did thay I know a lot of people who would come back, and I know a lot of you original vet( original vets meaning your 14+ year account is yours not one you bought) know a lot of people who will also come back.....though just my thoughts

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As much as I loved T2A at the time and appreciated Stygian Abyss for being a late period masterpiece only two expansions matter.

1. Trammel ( or Ren if you want to soften the blow): Turned our world into a game.

2. AOS: turned our game into a mess.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
best: reinassance, it has its ups and downs sure this expansion made a lot of hardcore pkers quit because people would just stay in tram but the content was amazing in it and pvp in felucca was still fun
worst: age of shadows, as much as i like champ spawns, adding insurance to items in the game where people would no longer have to worry about dying was just kind of stupid, although i was a fan of customized housing