• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Begining of the End a UTB Tale

• Thread starter imported_Volrina
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Volrina

The Beginning of the End
A UTB Tale
By Volrina Quarra

It’s been so long but the landmarks are still there. The stables however are quiet only housing a few horses; no sign of the beasts that were the companions of my friends. I roam the streets in the wee hours of the night hoping for some sign that I’m not too late. Even the inn in Skara Brae is quiet the table in the back that Elyas once called an office collects dust. I flip a gold coin to the unfamiliar inn keeper

“The tamers that used to call this village home; any left” I ask

“Tamer’s; you mean those ones what called themselves United Tamers of Britannia?” he says the words as if they left a nasty taste in his mouth

“Yes the ones whom I call friends” My arched brow and inflection of voice let him know he may be treading on thin water if not careful

“You have no friends here anymore.” He flips the coin back to me and tilts his head towards the door

Sure I could break his head or have my mare rip his place down but I choose my fights and this one would reap no reward.

My mare is more than happy for my company in the stall next to him and the hay makes a fine bed. As I drift into sleep the nightmares that have become my memory of the past return to me; Emma’s exile; Trinity’s journey to hermitage; the guild crumbling around me and Nexus’s takeover. I stood numbly watching in shock that we could come to this; that the vow’s we took of honor were so fragile when I thought they were steel. My anger at not foreseeing any of this hardened my heart. The talk of new beginnings; the symbolic meetings with the leaders of Pax a community that was dieing even quicker than the guild I had so loved. I opened the stalls to the stables and released all of my pets save my mare.

“Whose back there; now come out I don’t want to have to send a dragon in to get you but I will if I have to” a familiar voice wakes me from my slumber

“Well if you plan on sending that Dragon back here to get me Jo’De’Nere be ready for it to be tamed and turned back on you. Old friend” I step from the shadows of the barn out into the light

“It can’t be; Volrina is that you under the hood of that cloak?” Jo has to squat down to peer at my face

“I’m sorry I can’t reveal my entire face to you but in this sunlight my half vamp skin is most sensitive.” I had kept no secrets from my old friends they all knew that my mother was bitten by vampire while I still grew in her womb.

“It is you by all the Gods in the sky; Volrina I’ve missed you.” Jo gave me a quick hug and then straitened my cloak out.

“Where is everyone Jo” I ask

“There is no everyone Vol; there is a handful and they mostly just come by to check and see if the others have returned. After Trinity and you left the others just drifted apart; the meetings and diplomatic talk did nothing but push the others away. Ryo, Loveless, and many of the others followed Emma.” Jo shrugged at my shocked gasp

“Emma returned from exile then, Nexus has brought her home?” Some hope wells up inside me

“Yes he let her come home but she left again and more than half of what was left us went with her. I was thinking on following myself to be honest Volrina. Nexus has also went into hermitage no ones seen hide or hair of him in near a month.” Jo says dashing my hopes away

“Give me some time Jo let me find Nexus and talk to him. A few weeks to see if there is any hope and let the others know we are only as strong as our resolve. There are young ones out there and others that are curious of our chosen way of life and perhaps its time we lift the veil of secrecy.” I call my mare from the stables and leap upon its back

“No one saw Nexus leave Vol; where will you start looking?” Jo asked

“Where it all began my friend” I wave good bye and turn my mare toward the woods

The lines from a poem I had heard in my youth becomes vividly clear in my mind
“These woods are lovely dark and deep but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep and miles to go before I sleep.”

FORWARD:
Although this is a fictional tale there is much truth in it. The United Tamers of Britannia on the Chesapeake shard has dwindled down to but a few members. In the near future if I can not contact the current guild leader Nexus Point I will be holding a recruiting event.

There are at least 4 previous guild leaders of UTB that visit these forums your input would be greatly appreciated.

G

Wow .. Vol .. I almost cried .... Wow ... All the memories and the past just comes rushing out at me ... But Ive talked to you and u know where I stand.... I wish u the best of luck in your endevors Let me know if my assistance is needed.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You've contacted my, and by all means hold the event....My PC's Mother Board died and my ability to contact anyone for the past 3 weeks has been limited at best but I've got that issue covered now and will be around a good bit more often than I have been...I don't want UTB to vanish either but to be honest those that were the core members had vanished. Hopefully with a the few that have been more active we can start turning things around a bit or at the worst stabalize things.

G

Gowron

It is a well written story, and don't give up. L/V is recovering quite well, and if it can be done in this case, I'm sure that UTB will return to the prominence it once had.

G

sad story and all but for all that it counts if my former utb needs a new guild leader i vote for you vol and for all common knowledge i shall be returning to the lands shortly

p.s. to emma "baa'aahh"

I

imported_Volrina

That would be most excelent Elyas.

For those of you that do not know Elyas is the Anti-hero from the first UTB story I wrote about a year ago. Here is the link if anyone needs it

UTB Book 1

D

Duncan O'Shay

I speak for my cousin as she told me the story before she slipped into hermitage.

Trinity put her heart and soul into UTB. When it was savagely ripped from her by those she trusted, she felt that there was no home for her anymore. Her tried and true friends had all but left. She believes in UTB and what it once stood for.

Both her and I would love to return to our home, but unless there is a change, we both fear that it would be in vain. Therefore, both of us bow in salute to you Volrina and put our full faith in the hope that you can revive the guild we once loved.

Much like Elyas, we both also with to see you succeed as the new leader of UTB. Maybe cooler heads will prevail and people will see the truth much like it was forced of Trinity a long time ago. If you truely love someone or something, sometimes you have to let it go.

Godspeed Volrina. I have faith in you that you can revive a once great guild.

G

<blockquote><hr>

sad story and all but for all that it counts if my former utb needs a new guild leader i vote for you vol and for all common knowledge i shall be returning to the lands shortly

p.s. to emma "baa'aahh"

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahah Elyas Go Bahh Urself! .. U Freak! U are finally coming home? to Chess? Thats kick ass... I am sure i will be picked on by u eventually ... LMAO ...

Vol I would also Vote for u as well if nex were to step aside.

I

imported_Volrina

I think with the number of people watching and reading this thread there is enough interest for me to post this here.

Every guild leader knows how hard it is especially when things are going bad. It’s not always your fault or the fault of anything you have control over. A good guild leader in my book is one that puts their guild before themselves, someone who understands they serve the guild and the people that make it up. I can tell you that I have met 5 of the prior guild leaders of UTB and I can find superior qualities in each of them.

It would be easy for us to pick apart a guild leader as they leave a guild but wouldn’t it be better for everyone if we highlight the good and archive the bad (we always want to learn from mistakes).

Nexus Point did things for the guild that many don’t realize but were all too important, he gave us a wonderful website which he built and an easy to remember web address that he pays for. He put many hours of time and effort into diplomacy with Pax in hopes of founding some long lasting bond that would benefit both. He did the things he did not for himself but because he cared more for the guild than his own name. He cared more for UTB than his own spare time or in game playing time. In my book thats a superior quality and that’s what UTB is all about.

We all understand that real life has got to come first though (no matter how much we love our guild, shard or UO.) I will be back on line with broadband in a week and Nexus has agreed that on that condition he will promote me to guild leader. I respect him and trust he will remain an emissary even if he does not have the time to log in each night.

The United Tamers of Britannia salute you Nexus Point you are what we are all about.

I

imported_NANOC

I dont know any guild that doesn't go through trials and tribulations.
All the best to the UTB guild and to you Volrina.
Your story and the posts on these boards is refreshing and pertenent.
Even if it may seem to most a public hashing out of some guild differences.
All guilds can relate to these posts.
I do miss seeing UTB in Skara tho.
And Nexus and all you others the have r/l
stuff, we still are on icq, so give a shout out once i a while.

I

imported_Hinotori

I wish the best for UTB. And I know you'll do well Vol.

Just remember I try to be a message away from help no matter what.

ps. Vol, I'm stilling thinking about your offer.

I

imported_Volrina

Open ended offer that never expires, no pressure, the door always swings open for you.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

I think with the number of people watching and reading this thread there is enough interest for me to post this here.

Every guild leader knows how hard it is especially when things are going bad. It’s not always your fault or the fault of anything you have control over. A good guild leader in my book is one that puts their guild before themselves, someone who understands they serve the guild and the people that make it up. I can tell you that I have met 5 of the prior guild leaders of UTB and I can find superior qualities in each of them.

It would be easy for us to pick apart a guild leader as they leave a guild but wouldn’t it be better for everyone if we highlight the good and archive the bad (we always want to learn from mistakes).

Nexus Point did things for the guild that many don’t realize but were all too important, he gave us a wonderful website which he built and an easy to remember web address that he pays for. He put many hours of time and effort into diplomacy with Pax in hopes of founding some long lasting bond that would benefit both. He did the things he did not for himself but because he cared more for the guild than his own name. He cared more for UTB than his own spare time or in game playing time. In my book thats a superior quality and that’s what UTB is all about.

We all understand that real life has got to come first though (no matter how much we love our guild, shard or UO.) I will be back on line with broadband in a week and Nexus has agreed that on that condition he will promote me to guild leader. I respect him and trust he will remain an emissary even if he does not have the time to log in each night.

The United Tamers of Britannia salute you Nexus Point you are what we are all about.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know you were the one who the guild should have passed to but you weren't avialable at the time. At that point in time Real Life intruded into everyone's schedule and love me for it or hate it I did what myself and many others felt was right at the time in order to ensure the UTB had someone guiding the helm.

Now that you are returning with more experience then I and also having an interest in the revitalization of UTB it's only proper that since you were the second that you assume the primal position. I'm happy to continue with maintaining the UTB Guild Website, and I know we discussed other things that could be done to benifit UTB not only inside but outside the game. I'll gladly accept a position as an Emissary, and continue my diplomatic relations with Pax.

D.Blackmoore

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A changing of the guard is probably the most difficult thing among a guild. It's happened to you guys twice in a rather short period. I sincerely hope this is the shot in the arm you guys need and wish you all the best we are here if we can help please let us know. *salutes*

I

imported_Volrina

Thank you for the offer

First we would like about 10 tamers and an alliance with RBG would be cool to.

I know you cant swing those things. Just knowing that the community is behind us will help.

E

Envinyatar80

Vol, that story you wrote saddens my heart. In my absence from these lands, so much has come to pass that I would not have expected in my darkest of dreams. I returned recently to a broken guild. Despondent, I reached out to a friend and was welcomed with open arms by people I didn't, but have come, to know. For that I am thankful.

I have full confidence that you are what UTB needs right now. I find myself saying this often as of late; you must look to the future now and let go of the past. I know there are tamers out there looking for solace amongst others of their kind. I was one of them many moons ago. Elyas and Emma introduced me to the brotherhood of UTB and it became my home during that time. I have faith that you can do the same.

As I said recently, I would like to help you along in your journey, but please know I can never return. My family has found a new home with wonderful friends and allies. You are like family to me as well and I will be there to help you in any other way I can. I'm just a Q away.

Good luck, guild leader.

Envinyatar

G

<blockquote><hr>

Wow .. Vol .. I almost cried ....

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here...

C

Coranthe

Most every guild goes through these troubles. Years ago when I joined UTB they were going through the same problems then. The guildmaster was permanently AFK and it took months to get a new one. Once that was settled then the splits started. These 3 liked to hunt together so they had one faction, these 3-4 another, etc. etc. I do believe that a guild like UTB is more prone to this just because tamers by nature play alot of solo time.

Guilds are social clubs. There is always alot of backroom chatter going on about someone else in the guild. I think most people that join guilds are looking for company in game. It may just be someone to chat with in guild chat, someone to hunt with, or as in my case, a desire to help out others in game. The troubles usually arise when 1)someone outside the guild, that is friends with someone in the guild, tells the friend some tale about one of their guildmates 2)someone in a leadership role takes some action that is not universally liked/disliked thus causing factions 3)leaders disappear or rarely appear leaving the active players wondering why they aren't the leaders.

I believe alot of GMs make the mistake of trying to deal with everything in private. While they may be the current leader, they are still a member of a social club. Everyone is going to talk behind the scenes. Lies will be told either on purpose or in error. It never fails. Layout the issues in an honest fashion before all parties involved and the rest of the members and the resolution will be more readily accepted.

I

imported_Volrina

It might be a little dramatic but keep in mind that once you have worked your character up to 5X legendary, have every pet in your stalls Trained to GM, and beaten everything the game has to throw at you a little drama gives you another reason to log on and find out whats going to happen next.

D

Duncan O'Shay

Aye, it may, then aga'n it may ruin yer game time an yer friend****s too! It depen's on wha tipe of drama ye wan. Role play drama is one thin, oder drama is quite anoder.