The Baja Roleplaying and Event Alliance [BRPA] is a project that began in December 2008. Since then our shard has become the premiere RP destination on the West Coast.
Ours is a mature-themed community that explores human nature through an emphasis on conflict and intrigue. We have also branched from the D&D / LotR tropes of other shards to embrace an eclectic mix of High and Low Fantasy, Science Fiction, Post-Apocalyptic Fiction and Gothic Horror ...the same standards found throughout the Ultima Series.
Mission Statement -
The Alliance facilitates communication between the various guilds and characters through the OOC Alliance Chat. Chat can be used to initiate and find encounters, discuss events, and socialize with other roleplayers.
The Alliance also serves as a medium for IC Conflict and Warfare. Conflict breeds Interaction.
Our Goals -
1. To promote and encourage Roleplaying and Storytelling on the Baja Shard of Ultima Online.
2. To be an outlet for the Creative Minds of our Shard.
3. To facilitate an active dialogue between Roleplaying Guilds and Communities. That means promoting a body of Mature Adults who are not interested in drama ...but instead interested in the exchange of ideas and the advancement of our Shard.
4. To promote a unique backdrop for storylines and roleplaying events, based upon the Lore of Ultima but uniquely tailored to Baja's individual flavor; allowing for the individual contributions of its members to have a key influence in the storytelling. Baja has a rich history based on various genres including High Fantasy (Ravenshire and the Elf Clans), Classical Realism (the Rangers of the Realm), Satire (House Goodfellow), and Gothic Horror (the Dark Tower and the Kingdom of Valderia).
5. To assist in the development of new roleplaying guilds and the promotion of existing ones.
6. To help those who are interested in roleplaying - or those simply seeking to test the waters - come into a community that is easily accessable enjoyable to participate in.
7. To put our resources and talents together to achieve strength in numbers. Traditional Roleplayers have often been disadvantaged when it comes to the pursuit of End Game Spawn and Raid Opportunities. We on the other hand encourage our members to assist each other in such activities.
8. To build the Community. While the BRPA Taming Hour is not an RP Event it is something that benefits Baja as a whole and it should be our goal to encourage such activities.
9. To facilitate the implementation of IC Conflict through a backdrop of Political Intrigue and the Struggle between those who consider themselves 'Good' and 'Evil,' which often doesn't develop in such neat divisions.
Rules of Conduct -
1. Respect One Another. You should do unto others as you would wish them do unto you.
2. Remain In Character. There are some obvious exceptions (e.g. mutual agreement by all parties present in a gathered location for the expressed purpose of being OOC, EM Meet & Greets), but there is a general expectation that when you are sitting in the Sea Witch Tavern or the Dragons Breath that all present are IC. If you're discussing the actions of Queen Dawn and across the room someone else is discussing the World Series it can become a distraction.
3. Names should be appropriate to the Setting. You are expected to be creative - there is a multitude of human cultures represented in Ultima Lore, each possessing their own naming and title conventions - but "Puff Daddy" or "eLvIs SuXxOrz" are not appropriate in a Roleplaying Alliance.
Surnames (e.g. "Valek Typhoon" or "Bryelle Vaughn"), Titles ("The Nameless One") and Visual Cues ("A Town Guard" or "A Crazed Person") welcome and encouraged.
4. You must Roleplay before Attacking another Character. There are obviously some exceptions (e.g. Assassinations). But generally you should give that other character a chance to respond. (i.e. *...emerges from the shadows and lunges at Bucko with a knife.* would be appropriate.) This gives the player a chance to respond, surrender, and also gives you the chance to establish if that person is IC, and establish if that person is Present At Keyboard.
5. Those wearing Death Robes (See Rules of Engagement) are not to be engaged or assaulted under any circumstance.
6. OOC Discussion should be limited to Party / Guild / Alliance / Global Chat, and ICQ unless otherwise agreed upon by all parties present. If OOC needs to take place use parenthesis.
7. Alliance Chat is considered to be Out of Character. But there are some exceptions. If a wildfire is burning in Avalon and you want people in the Kingdom of Dawn to see a column of smoke rising over the mountains make sure it is clear that the description is IC.
The above scenario is actually encouraged. This is a way of drawing roleplayers to a site to engage in IC Interaction that would otherwise not occur.
8. Complains and Greviences are to be brought to the attention of your Guild and Alliance Leadership.
9. No Metagaming or Godmoding. Metagaming is knowing something your character wouldn't know (i.e. What underwear the Duchess wears) without some appropriate IC justification. Godmoding is making yourself invincible (i.e. someone swings an axe at you and it bounces off), or an action someone doesn't have the chance to prevent (i.e. emoting a perfect swing that beheads the Town Guard). Engaging in any of these activities will get you ignored.
10. All Alliance Guilds should have the expressed interest and desire to Roleplay. We understand that there are multiple levels of IC Interaction - from Casual to Total Immersion - but this is a First a Roleplaying Alliance and members are expected to conduct themselves as Roleplayers.
11. We are all adults. Therefore it should come as no surprise that some of our Stories and Interactions might sometimes deal with Mature Themes. (e.g. Violence. Gore. Sexual Themes. Torture. Race and Class Struggles. Religion. Death.)
No one should ever feel obligated to participate in interaction that leaves them uncomfortable. On the other hand roleplayers should be careful not to step over that indistinct line between Good RP and Offensive Behavior. (See Rule 1.)