• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Argument for Untimed Peerless and Exodus Keys

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The increased timer for Peerless keys to 7 days was a welcome and positive development.

I would like to argue, however, for untimed keys, similar to Doom Gauntlet keys (Golden Skulls).

I support this for the following reasons.
  • I think it will increase the degree to which this content is worked.
  • I think it's fun for a solo player to sell things to group players, thus those of us who can't solo these high-end monsters can sell to groups, or other solo players, who are able to fight them.
  • It will enable this content to be done more spontaneously. Sudden, "for the Hell of it" Lady Mel runs (for example) will become more realistic, and spontaneous public Exodus runs will become more popular and fun. (Being able to draw several folks instead of just the 2 or 3 who happen to have farmed ALL of the keys within 7 days. You'll be able to farm keys and then lock them down for whenever.)
  • It will create new decorative items. I'm quite positive, for example, someone will have an RP use for the Travety keys, the Dryad's curse, or the various Exodus keys.

-Galen's player

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
while I support this idea I know it will never happen. This Dev team that we have at this point in time want us to grind EVERYTHING. They think that Grinding is the way forward.

So in the mean while this good idea will stay just that, A good idea.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been for the last few days on Chessy and have tuned in to the chat... and the hunt for keys and such are what seems to keep the population in gear.
They hunt and share the extras of what ever key or item that is needed for hunts. Many have multi sets ready for that nights hunt.
The same can be said on Cats and a few other shards I have had the time to tune into of late.
I understand the timer might have been needed to urge the players to keep at it, is it still though?
I am not so sure ether way.... it might slow down or even in a long term stop the hunting as stored keys accumulate in possession.
or
It might make it more active sport in the game. Who knows.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like untimed keys if we could also put them on vendors. That would open up a whole new revenue stream!

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the idea, but i'm curious and don't know from personal experience. But which takes longer to get from scratch ? Exodus keys or a Golden Skull ?

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless they've changed, I think the Doom keys are 100 daemon bone... and if I recall, you can buy daemon bone in Ter Mur because it's now a reagent for Mysticism... so technically, you could simply buy yourself a golden skull by buying enough daemon bone, going down into Doom, and finishing the quest to get the skull -- though, I guess you'd still have to kill the spawned demon to get the skull (still a drop, right?).

Plus, the golden skull is around until used.

The Exodus keys... no specifically guaranteed drop, so you could go days without completing a set, and then the first of your keys may be ready to expire. By contrast, you could certainly, even if you decided to hunt and gather daemon bone yourself, get a golden skull in a couple of hours.

Of course, this all presumes solo keys. But then, on that flip side, you only need one golden skull to get into Doom with your party. Exodus, I think 3 of the 4 keys must be possessed by everyone.

Never understood the need for a timer. It's very contrary to being able to do something when you want to.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
exodus keys should have a highter timer than 7 days, maybe 1 month should be right, because if you compare lady mel keys to exodus, lady mel you need 1 key for an entire party, and that key you can get it under 20 minutes. Exodus on the other hand it takes average 1 hour to 2 hour to farm an entire set and this for only one character. So yea Exodus keys should last average 5x longer than Lady Mel keys ...

Last edited:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless they've changed, I think the Doom keys are 100 daemon bone... and if I recall, you can buy daemon bone in Ter Mur because it's now a reagent for Mysticism... so technically, you could simply buy yourself a golden skull by buying enough daemon bone, going down into Doom, and finishing the quest to get the skull -- though, I guess you'd still have to kill the spawned demon to get the skull (still a drop, right?).

Plus, the golden skull is around until used.

The Exodus keys... no specifically guaranteed drop, so you could go days without completing a set, and then the first of your keys may be ready to expire. By contrast, you could certainly, even if you decided to hunt and gather daemon bone yourself, get a golden skull in a couple of hours.

Of course, this all presumes solo keys. But then, on that flip side, you only need one golden skull to get into Doom with your party. Exodus, I think 3 of the 4 keys must be possessed by everyone.

Never understood the need for a timer. It's very contrary to being able to do something when you want to.
It's 1,000 bones for the Doom Gauntlet Key Quest:

http://www.uoguide.com/The_Summoning

And yes you do still have to kill the Bone Daemon:

http://www.uoguide.com/Bone_Daemon

a fearsome monster.

My suspicion has always been that the Peerless keys were timered to give the encounters the feel of an endgame in a single-player game.

Race against time! You have to run in to kill the boss while you're still worn out from lesser encounters! Will you be strong enough to defeat the Dark Lord of the North despite the fact that your enchanted chain mail has been torn to ribbons by all of his vile minions, and your magic sword is broken!

Problem is these encounters, not the Peerlesses of ML and not the Epic Encounters of SA, are not endgames, not now, if they ever were. That role has been taken up by the EM events. Peerlesses and Epic Encounters are just regular content now, if they ever were anything else.

Well, unless of course you RP a Peerless or an Epic Encounter as an endgame. (We fought the Slasher of Veils as part of an RP quest recently.) But that you can do with a timered key or not.

-Galen's player

Last edited:

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the idea, but i'm curious and don't know from personal experience. But which takes longer to get from scratch ? Exodus keys or a Golden Skull ?
Kind of comparing apples to oranges. ONE Golden Skull gets everybody in your party into fight the Dark Father. EVERYONE has to have a complete set (excluding the altar rite} to get into Exodus. Know how long it takes to get 10 sets of Exodus keys? Being sarcastic, sorry.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kind of comparing apples to oranges. ONE Golden Skull gets everybody in your party into fight the Dark Father. EVERYONE has to have a complete set (excluding the altar rite} to get into Exodus. Know how long it takes to get 10 sets of Exodus keys? Being sarcastic, sorry.
My point was, the easier to acquire should have the timer. So clearly, timers need to be on Gold skulls and not Keys.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The timer should span on the difficulty to get the keys.

Lady M keys are not difficult at all and you can hold the quest until you are ready to do the peerless. This doesn't need the timer removed.

I vaguely remember doing a travesty, or what I think I remember being travesty. Those weren't that difficult either just time consuming. I dont think the timer needs removed on this.

Exodus keys are a p.i.t.a and the drops are crappy. I'd be fine with the timer being removed.

The Golden skull is a 1000 bones and takes forever to farm, let alone killing the skeleton thing. No timer needed here.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use two watch two guys show up at the lich room with beetles that they would leave outside. both were swordsman rocking blaze of death and they would whirlwind the lichlords and farm bones in no time at all.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I use two watch two guys show up at the lich room with beetles that they would leave outside. both were swordsman rocking blaze of death and they would whirlwind the lichlords and farm bones in no time at all.
Yeap lich room very handy. Take my sammi down there with 4 packies so 10 liches spawn, 1-2 whirlwind and I get 300 bones at a time. Takes
about 2 minuets to get to 1000

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can only buy fertile dirt and bones in the Ter Mur myst shop.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The increased timer for Peerless keys to 7 days was a welcome and positive development.

I would like to argue, however, for untimed keys, similar to Doom Gauntlet keys (Golden Skulls).

• I think it's fun for a solo player to sell things to group players, thus those of us who can't solo these high-end monsters can sell to groups, or other solo players, who are able to fight them.
  • It will enable this content to be done more spontaneously. Sudden, "for the Hell of it" Lady Mel runs (for example) will become more realistic, and spontaneous public Exodus runs will become more popular and fun. (Being able to draw several folks instead of just the 2 or 3 who happen to have farmed ALL of the keys within 7 days. You'll be able to farm keys and then lock them down for whenever.)
  • It will create new decorative items. I'm quite positive, for example, someone will have an RP use for the Travety keys, the Dryad's curse, or the various Exodus keys.
-Galen's player

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-Galen's player
Makes no sense. Takes 3 people no time at all to get Mel keys. Whats your point besides more easy mode?

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-Galen's player
-Content not worked as it takes a bit of a team to accomplish it for most people and , well sadley, reward isnt work crap since every who really wanted the +5 stats has them already
-Single player making money selling more "patheticaly easy to get" crap - bad idea
-keys are easy to get, and i wouldnt do a public anything with 1/2 the dolts out there
-dont need anymore pixle crack in my houses

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
-Content not worked as it takes a bit of a team to accomplish it for most people and , well sadley, reward isnt work crap since every who really wanted the +5 stats has them already
-Single player making money selling more "patheticaly easy to get" crap - bad idea
-keys are easy to get, and i wouldnt do a public anything with 1/2 the dolts out there
-dont need anymore pixle crack in my houses
Why would a player making money selling stuff that you consider easy to get be a bad idea? Some might consider ore easy to get, but I am not one of them. I'm glad I am able to purchase from other players things I don't like to get. Same with Peerless keys or anything. This is a multi-player game and people like to do different things.

While you may not want any more "pixle [sic]" "crack" in your house, fortunately my proposal does not require you to purchase any. I also don't require you to do anything public, but for those who do wish to, my proposal makes it easier.

Your easy resorting to calling things "pixle [sic]" crack is particularly telling, because that's what people say about something someone else likes but only rarely is the term referred to something that the individual speaking likes. I guess it's probably happened but not often.

Ultimately, from your post, it would appear that you just like to grind things. I shall not stop you but many, it would seem, do not like to grind things.

-Galen's player

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with timed keys is that for the player without a much larger guild network, you have to get two different cycles aligned; your ability to farm the keys, then recruit enough people in general chat to want to come with you. Exodus is the most problematic, and I pointed this out when the design went live; if you're trying to farm keys solo, by the time you get the last key, the first may have decayed, and you may have used up your play time for that week anyway... It's relatively easy to get such keys on a bard, but not everyone has one of those either.

Besides which, most of you jaded vets have become bored of the older content anyway. Why would you go farm keys to help speed up the actual entrance time, or wait whilst a newbie does so, to go see stuff you're too geared up to bother with? However someone who could take you at any time because they've got the keys sitting until they're ready and you have a spare moment makes it much, much easier to just pop by for a quick fight.

And allowing people to see more of the game keeps an increasingly unhealthy game alive for just that little bit longer, as people feel they can go that little bit further into it without having to cultivate a Raider elitist mentality. Which keeps the game around and healthier for everyone, including masochists.

Nasir k

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
this is a great idea. I farm some keys and other stuff i have either rarely or have never done because getting the keys sucks, is difficult or it is difficult to get a party together. With the exodus keys this seems like a no brainer that they would be timer free but with the other bosses I think being able to buy and sell keys on vendors would increase the traffic on some of the bosses that people rarely do and enhance game play for a lot of players. this idea is so good there is no way it will ever be implemented.