• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Age of Innocence

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm trying to get UOAssist running on Linux. I'm stuck at getting past my router, but that isn't the point of my post. I was searching the internet for information on Ultima Online, and what ports needed to be open, and I find the following on this page:
<blockquote><hr>

Firewall or Proxy
You may also receive the above message if you connect to the Internet from behind a firewall or proxy server. We currently do not support access to the Ultima Online servers from behind either of these configurations.

[/ QUOTE ]
That just made me laugh. Back in those days most of us didn't know much about firewalls, viruses, trojans and spyware...

(I'm assuming this page is seriously dated. Probably I can get the information from the EA website, I just haven't tried yet.)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well, I did find a list of ports on the EA site. However, as you can see, I had to guess at the protocols...

D

DrMcguilicudy

<blockquote><hr>

Yes, the message is out of date... however, they still suggest to turn them off when you run UO, because they are apaprently fools... thanks but no; so long as i'm online, firewall stays on. :x

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a high speed router, and have a NAT address, you are behind a firewall.

The software firewall for Windows is a joke.

G

Let me try adding to their text, making it more like they should have written it:<blockquote><hr>

We currently do not (provide technical) support (to persons attempting) access to the Ultima Online servers from behind either of these configurations. (Please contact the producers of the other product for support. We regret having to take this stand, but we simply cannot be held responsible for supporting another entity's products; it is a slippery slope. Thank you for playing Ultima Online.)

[/ QUOTE ]...But I'd probably get 'talked to' for offering too much information.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I understand what you are saying, but I don't think I was misinterpreting anything. For any newer game that I know of that requires internet connectivity, you can always find official information on what ports to open, for what protocols, even though they might not have information on how to configure your specific hardware - although many will even provide that kind of information for popular routers.

At the time when that paragraph was written, most people were playing on dialup, the average person simply didn't have a router, and the vast majority didn't have a software firewall, or even run anti-virus software. I know I didn't. It was definitely a more innocent age in the life of the internet.

edit: Although I can see I was a bit spaced out yesterday. For some reason I thought it said firewalls and routers, not proxies. I don't know of any that provide information for connecting through a proxy. However, even leaving out the word "proxy", that paragraph is still pretty funny in a present day context.