• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

That guard zone...

G

Good citizens of Siege.

I, personally, am happy to find that Buccaneers Den is no longer alone in lacking a guard zone. I rejoiced when 'Lord' *spits* British's lackys fled screaming like little mongbats from the shores of Mag.

However, I realise that I do not speak for everyone.
I have posted a scroll to the foul depths of U-Hell, should ye wish to add your voice, or objections, to my thoughts there.

What say ye? Should the guard zone remain a thing of the past when the last daemon has fallen? Or should the overpaid, overpowered, minions of the foul deserter British be returned, after we have done all the hard work for them?

G

Unless someone changed things, Buccs wasn't the only place with no guardzone. I died screaming for the idle layabouts in Skara Brae a few months ago. They totally refused to protect this innocent elf crafter.

I don't think anyone remembered to turn it back on after the Ophidian event.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Unless someone changed things, Buccs wasn't the only place with no guardzone. I died screaming for the idle layabouts in Skara Brae a few months ago. They totally refused to protect this innocent elf crafter.

I don't think anyone remembered to turn it back on after the Ophidian event.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT I don't think anyone remembered to turn it back on after the Ophidian event.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been numerous posts be it on UO Hall elsewhere, regarding invasions they create where they have turned off the guards, then once it is over with they forget...typically to finish what they began in it's entirety...ie they do not remember to turn the guards back on 9 times out of 10.

Folks have jokingly posted mongbats still bank in Moonglow never whacked by the guards since invasion *insert invasion here*. Minoc Vesper both on assorted shards still the guards do not work since the ophidian invasions in parts of those towns. One can still find many a Yew still seemingly without guards since *The Plague of Despair* ie swamping even though it was *cured* by the elves.

Give em enough time and some more invasions, and there won't be a working guard anywhere, cuz they often forget to turn em back on again anyways.

They forget what they started all too often, still see parts of *construction* in Moonglow no story line left for that...still see beasts attached to their wagon, left in yew yet Ricardo long gone... Haven ruined ..New Haven still a broken mess,
5 will get ya 10...Magincia be still dust weeks from now after the invasion too and guards never returned cuz they will have to swiftly get to work on some next project.

F

Fidessa

This game NEEDS safe zone's, because not all of us are able to defend ourselfs.

R

RobotPlanet

I predict you will see (or not see) a lot more stealthers

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

<blockquote><hr>

I predict you will see (or not see) a lot more stealthers

[/ QUOTE ]
Meanless to do that... people will just do Earthquake or other area damage
effects periodically... so 200 points in Stealth and Hiding will be worthless.
With no guardzones, banks will be occupied by pkers activities.
Also, many people with macro Detect Hidden at the banks to do reveal...

Remember all this talk of better changes is to ... force everyone to do PvP.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

G

I do wish to point out that I am not asking for the removal of ALL guard zones.
For one thing, I doubt very much that it would happen, and feel that I would probably be wasting my breath.

All I want is Magincia to remain in the guard-less state that it currently finds itself in. There will still be many other safe places to bank.

The funny thing is, even though it is NOT in a safe place, I find that particular bank - the one on the docks - extremely convenient, and also find it extremely easy to get away, back to the 'safe place', if attacked there. Incidentally, no, I do not have stealth, and only have the standard jack-of-all-trades hiding ability.

But, no - all I want is one fewer guard zone on Siege. For now. *plots quietly*

I

imported_SavageSP

I have enjoyed the GZ being off in Magincia......

that said I'm not sure id like to see all GZ's turned off(crafters come to mind)

But I'll throw this out there for Yalls Discussion even though I havent thought it out alot.....

What if a "Blue NOTO" that flaggs on a Red/Gray lost his ability to Call Guards on anyone as long as he was Aggressive, thus making him attackable by all and dicouraging his Noto Nature?

My opinion is that anyone that wants to Attack another Player should be attackable by all players, if you choose to PVP then stop hiding in a GZ, the Guards are meant to help the innocent(non-pvp) not people hiding behind a color.

G

The Magencia event proves that there is much more fun in guardless towns, as long as there is a good reason to be in that town. Remove the GZ from all but one crafter town... say cove. Or better yet don't allow anyone with GM or better in two combat skills (weapons, spell casting, bard, poison, etc) to call guards anywhere.

I

imported_Magnolia

<blockquote><hr>

Remove the guard zones!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree...

I

imported_Magnolia

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Remove the guard zones!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree...

[/ QUOTE ]

Or better yet... make the guards attackable with awesome loot!!!

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remove them all completely I say. you call this seige perilous? make it so

I am no pvper and I think we need to shake things up
Lorddog

G

Ahh, my crafter is orange, but doesn't get in much trouble. I only use remote towns and banks, and rarely need much from town anyway.

I don't think that blue crafters will have much trouble with the GZ's being completely turned off.

There should definitely be no guardzones at any moongate!

How's this?
1. Turn off guardzones everywhere
2. let the factions turn on guardzones (for everyone, friendlies, or only blues as they like) in the faction towns.
3. leave one blue-nonfaction town with guards - that has at least a smithy and a tailor - perhaps jhelom?

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

<blockquote><hr>

Ahh, my crafter is orange, but doesn't get in much trouble. I only use remote towns and banks, and rarely need much from town anyway.

I don't think that blue crafters will have much trouble with the GZ's being completely turned off.

There should definitely be no guardzones at any moongate!

How's this?
1. Turn off guardzones everywhere
2. let the factions turn on guardzones (for everyone, friendlies, or only blues as they like) in the faction towns.
3. leave one blue-nonfaction town with guards - that has at least a smithy and a tailor - perhaps jhelom?

[/ QUOTE ]
About number 2. Someone at that light switch goes on and off, on and off, on
and off at a whim! Let not let Factions have anything more, they are already
too corrupt! I hope to see Factions gone!
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

K

Kat SP

How about turning off the GZ in faction towns only? That would only include Britain and Magincia. It would also take care of those annoying bluebies who seem to want to help their faction mates, but prefer to help them under the protection of the guards... which is a buncha horse [censored] anyway!

G

NEW players need guards in Brit. Their guild homes have always been by downtown Brit here on Siege for quite some time now. There should be at least one town with guards for the newer players somewhere. UO was not designed to be totally lawlessness reining everywhere even if Lord Brit's guards are over powered, or on an ale break.

I say move the darn factions' strongholds OUT of the city...TB should have never been slapped in Lord British's in the first place...that was the *citizens' building too once long before TB..even back in Chaos and Order days one could get into the Lord's castles for the most part most of the time.

I say take faction strongholds out of towns...TB and CoM should have been put out side somewhere anywhere but right inside downtowns, just like the other factions bases were place outside of downtowns.

G

There is a 'training building' of sorts right outside the main bridge into Britain.
I have often felt that would be a far better stronghold than the castle.
After all, WHY does the True Brit faction exist? To fight for, and defend, that which is Lord British's. Yet, where do we find their base? In his castle, in the middle of town.

Britain has been invaded before. By the time the invaders got anywhere near the castle, much of the town had been lost. This shows a considerable lack of planning, and poor tactics on the part of the false lord British!

Depose him, I say! Let us have a TRUE king on the throne!

But, aye - factions in town make little sense. Kick them out! Now!

*descends into political ranting, goes to look for breakfast*

N

Nerf-Herder

I vote to leave them turned off. Faction bases should have never been placed near or in a friggin guard zone anyways. Hopefully they destroy Brit next.

...or better yet. Move the damn faction bases away from guard zones.

I am without a doubt one of the (if not, THE) worst mage pvpers on this shard, yet there is no shortage of people who will run towards a guard zone when I attack rather than stand and kick my ass conventionally.

I am so bad at killing people that all but one of the murder counts I have taken on my mage have been because people run off and suicide.

Being a bad PvPer is one thing, being a coward is worse, but please, please, let's stop giving wrist-slashing non-faction types an indestructible guard weapon.

G

When I first heard of the faction system a few years ago, I expected it to be a lot more than what it is. I have always felt that faction bases should be established in their OWN towns, with the faction commanders having broad privileges in assigning NPCs in the towns - vendors, guards, the whole works...and discounts only accessible to the FACTION members.

Having said that, I think there is ALWAYS a place for guard zones...although I never really agreed with the whole whack/insta-kill concept. Rather, I think that PvP should be allowed/possible everywhere, but not necessarily be so conducive in some spots, depending on the char &amp; surroundings, and their chosen target.

Just seems like that would be a more "natural" system.

-Skylark

R

Rykus

Re: Guards

Back in the olden days, guards were not invulnerable and they did not insta-whack you. I recall very clearly people trapping guards in Moonglow and pelting them with arrows and spells until they dropped. I forget the reason for it, but I know that this was the reason we now have guards who appear with a flash of lightning and hit for a gazillion points a whack. They used to just hit really hard. I recall a dragon of mine going wild in town once, getting us both GW'd. I went down on the first hit but the dragon fought 3 guards for a moment and it took more than a few swats to kill it.

G

I agree with Skylark.
Guards should not be as powerful as they are, but, by the same token, measures would need to be taken to ensure that it was not easy to overcome them, or to simply lure them away - or crash the server by 'summoning' billions of them. (A vague memory of someone casting earthquake near WBB comes to mind!)

Aye, PvP SHOULD be possible everywhere - but not necessarily a good idea everywhere! Attacking someone in a bank should carry more or less the same level of risk as drinking Pepsi in the Coca Cola staff canteen...

But I still hope that the Magincia guard zone remains a thing of the past.