• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

thanks for trying to reach me / possible good bye

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hi all,

as some might know that i had a little "issue" with renewing my accounts which resulted in loosing 2 houses yesterday.

first of all i wanted to thank everyone who tried to reach me. beside being kinda heartbroken iam not sick or whatnot. thanks also here for being worried for me.
unfortunately all who know the houses were IDOC could not reach me (no having my discord / phone number) and those who would be able to reach me didn know in time

thanks to @Scribbles as he offered me back 2 of the plots which he placed
right now iam trying to find the other 2 owners.

i guess a lot of people will say "this can never happen to me" but just as a warning let me explain as i think it went down.
i normally buy 2 180 GTC for each of the accounts and then repeat this after around 10 ish months
in addition i have CC on the account as backup

well.... it seems that for some reason i only bought 1 GTC last time and after Amazon stopped collaborating with that german bank they canceled their CC which stupid me did not replace asap.
in addition to that possibly google flagged the EA Emails for a while as spam as i was not able to find any notification for the accounts running out in my inbox. i could find one ea mail in spam but it was not a "subscription notification" however when i added new GTC to my main account today it was back in regular inbox...

i was sure that my accounts were running at least till mid/end february. funny fact, i noticed that my main account was blocked so i logged in at that time and added my new CC just to be sure, i have no idea why i did not check the other accounts while i was already in account management.

iam sure as everyone know that there are times in UO where someone is not that active when life gets busy so i was not around often anyway and i was planning to sell of some stuff to get the stock down a little. in addition to that my job was draining me this week too so i did not login to anything UO related.
well i guess i dont have to do any sorting and selling anymore.

a first estimate shows that i lost about 90-95% of all valuable items i had including some collectibles where i wanted to setup a new library, the only stuff thats left is some tmap library books and materials and a few bits and pieces.
in addition to that basically all my shard shields and other vet rewards
also the countless hours it took gathering all that stuff and decorating the houses.

i guess a lot of you know the feeling that settles in after messing up big time.

after being around this game since 2001 (with one or the other break) i get the feeling this is the last straw.

currently i am not sure how to think about this.

i just wanted to thank everyone how tried to help me save my houses even if i could not safe them.
also i would be happy if everyone who reads this gets a little reminder and go into account management to check if all is set so nothing happens as i would not evenn wish this experience and the feelings i have right now to people i dont like. no bueno.. :)

cheers,
Fin

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
very sorry to hear about this :(

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sorry to hear that Fin. I've seen some of your buying/selling posts here and can't even imagine the stuff you lost; again sorry to hear that.

One question I have for you, if you don't mind, or anyone else doing the game time code (GTC) thing; why don't you just pay with your credit card (primary if you have multiple) instead of buying multiple GTC?

For me, having it on my credit card (when my card expires) it's one of the things I think "what's connected to this card that I need to change" versus paying for GTC as a one-off where I might put it out of my mind when "life happens" or I go a few months without logging in.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For me, a 180 day GTC is about half the price to what I´d pay with monthly subscriptions on a CC.
Are there other options other than monthly when using a CC?

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Finley, I´ve been in a similar situation so I know the sucky feeling. At the time I didn´t know about the only-one-house-per-account rule so I lost a very valuable house on Europa when placing a 7x7 on Siege.
So sorry for your loss.

After my incident I dropped the material chasing and just focused on the other things this game has to offer. So I recommend you come join us on Siege for a more basic gameplay of having a blast dying and surviving.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For me, a 180 day GTC is about half the price to what I´d pay with monthly subscriptions on a CC.
i always use GTC as main and CC as backup, however this time i somehow got distracted and messed up

FishinFool

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
Virtual hoarding is as bad as the real thing, minus the smell.

I would suggest that people make use of their calendar app and setup recurring reminders to check things in their lives as a whole.

Login to the game at least one a month with the accounts you are paying for to make sure everything is ok. If you can't manage that, then maybe you're carrying too many accounts and really need to let go or it's time to walk away entirely.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One question I have for you, if you don't mind, or anyone else doing the game time code (GTC) thing; why don't you just pay with your credit card (primary if you have multiple) instead of buying multiple GTC?
if you pay 6 month with cc it costs about 65 euro. i guess that is 70 usd.

i use the official gtc bought via mine county. 6 month costs 45 euro. if i buy from 3rd party resellers this gtc cost about 25euro
so what would you choose?

sad to hear about finleys idoc. the only thing i can use against thoose trouble is to login regulary and play.
because this email is not more coming in when an Account is out of pay. for the 90 day time frame a login should be possible.

Donzer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Would be sad to see you go - but fully understand.
As I told you earlier as well, I also lost my Atlantic house over christmas due to a similar error. And seeing how big a part the house deco is of your playing, I fully understand the loss and ways it will affect your gameplay moving forward.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any items of real value at the IDOC, but glad to see that you still got some of your plots back. As mentioned I have your parrot and I think a raised garden bed deed as well, they are yours if you want them back.
Hope you still decide to stick around, need your deco as inspiration to finish my own :D

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There is a 6month option when paying with credit card as well (instead of monthly); this does save you like $3 per month. If you are using EA store to buy the GTC codes (which is technically the only place the Dev team says you should buy them), a 6 months GTC cost the same amount as subscribing to the game for 6 months (using the CC option). That being the case, I use my CC so it's reoccurring until I opt out.

if you pay 6 month with cc it costs about 65 euro. i guess that is 70 usd.

i use the official gtc bought via mine county. 6 month costs 45 euro. if i buy from 3rd party resellers this gtc cost about 25euro
so what would you choose?
I agree 100% if buying a legit GTC is half the price of paying with CC for the same time period, but that's not the case from my experience. I could even see if they were purchased during the holidays during a sale, but EA hasn't had a sale on any codes in several years (at least that I know of). I did just go to EA website to double check the price of a 6month GTC to see if maybe the priced dropped and it's still $59.99 USD (same price as 6 months on a CC).

I know 3rd party sellers do sell for cheaper but that's been something the Dev team says we shouldn't do as there are risks associated with that. If the actual reason is that people buy the codes cheaper from 3rd party and that's why they do it, I get it but at the same time I'd say that's part of the risk because who knows if the Dev team can tell that's what is being done and then they do something wacky like not send out an email about the account not being paid or maybe cut the GTC short.

Fin's situation certainly seems like a perfect storm type thing (I'd assume having a newer credit card as backup would solve the risk). I was just curious why so many people use GTC after all of the posts over the years about people losing their houses etc due to a GTC lapsing. To me, saving the $15-20 per 6 month GTC (ie $30-40 a year) isn't worth the risk of losing almost everything I have because my house falls due to some snafu with the GTC.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Finley, I´ve been in a similar situation so I know the sucky feeling. At the time I didn´t know about the only-one-house-per-account rule so I lost a very valuable house on Europa when placing a 7x7 on Siege.
So sorry for your loss.

After my incident I dropped the material chasing and just focused on the other things this game has to offer. So I recommend you come join us on Siege for a more basic gameplay of having a blast dying and surviving.
This should not have happened. You ARE Allowed 2 houses if you place the second house on Siege. I have 3 accounts, all three houses are on Origin but I also have 3 houses on Siege on those same accounts and they have been there for many, many years.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This should not have happened. You ARE Allowed 2 houses if you place the second house on Siege. I have 3 accounts, all three houses are on Origin but I also have 3 houses on Siege on those same accounts and they have been there for many, many years.
Heh, this was long before that was implemented.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
thank you for support folks, right now iam trying to get the last remaining plot back but it seems no one is really knowing the guy

Kasper Lingo is the toon name, someone told me he might be also Amadeus of Kern.
can someone put me in touch?

also it seems that Sping looted some items and i got told that he/she is kind enough to hand them bank
thanks also here

cheers

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There is a 6month option when paying with credit card as well (instead of monthly); this does save you like $3 per month. If you are using EA store to buy the GTC codes (which is technically the only place the Dev team says you should buy them), a 6 months GTC cost the same amount as subscribing to the game for 6 months (using the CC option). That being the case, I use my CC so it's reoccurring until I opt out.

I agree 100% if buying a legit GTC is half the price of paying with CC for the same time period, but that's not the case from my experience. I could even see if they were purchased during the holidays during a sale, but EA hasn't had a sale on any codes in several years (at least that I know of). I did just go to EA website to double check the price of a 6month GTC to see if maybe the priced dropped and it's still $59.99 USD (same price as 6 months on a CC).

I know 3rd party sellers do sell for cheaper but that's been something the Dev team says we shouldn't do as there are risks associated with that. If the actual reason is that people buy the codes cheaper from 3rd party and that's why they do it, I get it but at the same time I'd say that's part of the risk because who knows if the Dev team can tell that's what is being done and then they do something wacky like not send out an email about the account not being paid or maybe cut the GTC short.

Fin's situation certainly seems like a perfect storm type thing (I'd assume having a newer credit card as backup would solve the risk). I was just curious why so many people use GTC after all of the posts over the years about people losing their houses etc due to a GTC lapsing. To me, saving the $15-20 per 6 month GTC (ie $30-40 a year) isn't worth the risk of losing almost everything I have because my house falls due to some snafu with the GTC.
I live in Sweden and buy the GTCs through the EA store. With the 10% store discount and paying in my local currency, a 6 month GTC costs me just shy of 35 dollars. Being on Siege I have more than one account so it adds up.
Even though nothing is foolproof, I log in regularly on all accounts and I keep track on the end times for the accounts so I´m not too worried. And should something happen then I only lose some pixels and not the characters. Pixels can be replaced.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So sorry for your loss.

So that’s where you are hiding

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sorry to hear. Hopefully you can recover some, and keep playing.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
And should something happen then I only lose some pixels and not the characters. Pixels can be replaced.
The only exceptions to this rule for me would be losing all my soulstones / shard shields.

A long time ago, during my second or third stint in UO, I ended up quitting over several months by just logging in less and less until I just stopped logging in (but still had a card on file). I don't think I ever purposefully intended to quit so I didn't box up my stuff... the card eventually expired and the house fell with 15-20 Soulstones. I think that hurt the most; losing all those skills (along with the stones themselves which are pricey) I had worked hard to build. I'm sure I lost a bunch of prepatch type stuff that went for a pretty penny and honestly I couldn't tell you what most of those things are anymore, but I still remember all those soulstones lol.

Honestly for me, at this moment, the only reason I haven't completely shut down my last open account is because of the large keep I have. If that were to fall and all of my stuff was gone then I would no longer have something tying me to the game... from there I'd let my account go EJ and just play for free whenever I was feeling nostalgic (I already have a few other accounts that have gone this way).

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
Very sad. I also messed up my renewal and lost my tower on Atlantic, which was very very dear to me.... and yes, I also lost tons of soulstones :(

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
thanks for your friendly replies. iam not really feeling good at the moment.

iam still trying to reach this dude Kasper Lingo who placed a 7x7 which i try to buy back way overprice if needed. but it seems no one knows the guy or how to reach him.
please, if somone can get me in touch with him iam sure i can find something in the few things i have left which i can give...

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
in addition to that possibly google flagged the EA Emails for a while as spam as i was not able to find any notification for the accounts running out in my inbox. i could find one ea mail in spam but it was not a "subscription notification" however when i added new GTC to my main account today it was back in regular inbox...
The problem is one specific mailserver EaMythic is using.
Mar 24 00:13:34 : connect from platformapp1-eip.shared.aws.eamythic.net[107.23.83.182]
Mar 24 00:13:35 : SSL_accept error from platformapp1-eip.shared.aws.eamythic.net[107.23.83.182]: -1
Mar 24 00:13:35 : warning: TLS library problem: error:0A000102:SSL routines::unsupported protocol
This mail server uses a very old and insecure TLS protocol which google and many others have disabled by default. That specific mail server is sending the notification mails when your game time is running out.

When you buy game time codes or change settings on your account you get mails from up-to-date servers like this one:
Mar 28 10:10:05 : connect from platformweb1.shared.aws.eamythic.net[107.23.201.4]
Mar 28 10:10:06 : Anonymous TLS connection established from platformweb1.shared.aws.eamythic.net[107.23.201.4]: TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits)

This problem exists at least since 02/2023. I've tried contacting them but have not reach anyone.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
thanks for everyone of you who reached out.

i was able to get my houses back at certain cost as i had to buy back 2 of the plots.
luckily for me Scribbles was generous and gave me the 2 plots he was able to secure back free of charge. so thanks again to @Scribbles
sadly iam still torn over if i might stay or leave as so much of the last 10 years of playing was lost.

if someone who was at the IDOCs want to donate some of the stuff back i would be very greatful as this would help me trying to get back in the saddle. (of course iam not mad at anyone looting stuff on the ground dont get me wrong)

another funny fact. i had a signature here which included my discord but something seems to be wrong with it. is there someone around who may be able to help me to find out why its not showing?

BR
Fin

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Seems to me you now have room for 10 more years of play! Always good to see you my old friend!

*Waves you over to his table by the fire, kicks out a chair for you, and fills you a nice glass of Good Old Moonglow Red*

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
I got my last notification in 12/2021
I always get them when cancelling subscription and when it actually runs out (9pm Pacific time the day before it says on the website). But that's when using credit card, so it might mainly be a gametime code issue.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
also thanks going out to:
@Spring
@shootgun

for handing some items back.

thanks folks

just a random question:
did someone loot the fish baits by any chance? this was a project i was into before that misshap as i never fullly completed fishing up all kinds of fish. i would like to buy some of those back.

Last edited:

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
just a random question:
did someone loot the fish baits by any chance? this was a project i was into before that misshap as i never fullly completed fishing up all kinds of fish. i would like to buy some of those back.
If they're stackable, probably were deleted with the new IDOC system.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
really? who the hell would make something like that poof?
Vet rewards and resources all go poof. No idea why the vet rewards poof but the resources go poof because all items from the IDOC now get dropped into your pack (when breaking barrels); stacks of resources can be like 50k stones and would never fit in anyone's pack. I didn't like when they made that change but understand the reason for resources.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
some or most (?) rubble as well gets deleted at idocs :(

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
(...) They also make pack animals go poof if auto-stabled for more than 24 hours.
What do you mean? Empy pack animals?

I would ask for the logic of this, but I understand that it would make my question an oxymoron (with emphasys on the last part of the word).

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
What do you mean? Empy pack animals?

I would ask for the logic of this, but I understand that it would make my question an oxymoron (with emphasys on the last part of the word).
I don't know if empty ones do, but ones with anything in them definitely do. When they auto-stable when you've been away from them for too long.

I think they felt that people were using them for unintended extra storage. I just wish there were an option to turn the auto-stabling off, as I just find it annoying.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
They made all stackables and vet rewards go poof. As far as I know, no exceptions unless a bug. They also make pack animals go poof if auto-stabled for more than 24 hours.
not true. i have bonded pack animals that i have been using with my miner for several years on Sonoma

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
i have got fish bait at an idoc last year from my friends castle.

i would be happy to give you some that I have

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i have got fish bait at an idoc last year from my friends castle.

i would be happy to give you some that I have
thanks, i just want to catch the rare fish, then i give you back the rest if something is left over

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
not true. i have bonded pack animals that i have been using with my miner for several years on Sonoma
That's because you log out with them empty, rather than let them auto-stable with something in pack while you are off doing something. And then don't log back in for over 24 hours.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
That's because you log out with them empty, rather than let them auto-stable with something in pack while you are off doing something. And then don't log back in for over 24 hours.
they don't auto stable any more. they stay where they are at, just like giant beetles do, if something is in their pack. I have had this happen once a few months ago and luckily i managed to get back home before it unbonded. (they do autostable if you go across the bridge at the castle, but go to the pens, if something is in their packs)

before the login timer delay, they would go to this void area where only GMs could see. I had a beetle do it during an em event and the EM retrieved it for me. (this beetle didn't have anything in its pack though) And a few of my crafters had lost theirs due to the dismount bug (which is why that delay was added)

===
I didn't intentionally log out with pickaxes in my packies backpack. I forgot they were in there and was just switching to another char for a few minutes. And it was still there when i logged in

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
they don't auto stable any more. they stay where they are at, just like giant beetles do, if something is in their pack. I have had this happen once a few months ago and luckily i managed to get back home before it unbonded. (they do autostable if you go across the bridge at the castle, but go to the pens, if something is in their packs)

before the login timer delay, they would go to this void area where only GMs could see. I had a beetle do it during an em event and the EM retrieved it for me. (this beetle didn't have anything in its pack though) And a few of my crafters had lost theirs due to the dismount bug (which is why that delay was added)

===
I didn't intentionally log out with pickaxes in my packies backpack. I forgot they were in there and was just switching to another char for a few minutes. And it was still there when i logged in
Pretty sure I've had it happen as recently as last week. Not every time, but usually if I'm gone for long doing IDOCs or recalling around to different servers. I'll test it later when I can get in game.