• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

-test city

• Thread starter imported_sedusa
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_sedusa

I was able to login to TC3 -test city, and got the pretty graphic splash screen.
The problem I had was that it was severely laggy! Even my typing came in extremely slow. Anyone else tried it, possibly experiencing bad lag too?

G

A lot of people are. I asked Lee about this last night in the community pub my answer was something along the lines of:

"This is just temporary I hope. It is caused because of the shader models it is a direct pipeline to them right now to test them faster. This should be fixed within 4 weeks."

Remember these are not his exact words but it was something along those lines. This SHOULD be fixed.

G

yes, 2 or 3 of us experienced the severe lag. Parizad stated at the community pub last night that they are working on it.
She can't even play on her own pc cause someone else is using it to work on the lag issues (and for the life of me, I can't remember who she said.) lol

G

Thankfully, this is just optional the new graphics right?

I

imported_LFancey

All,

Lag expected even we get it. Just an implementation issue it will be fixed by Uri eventually.

It will eventually be required.

Lee

M

MandiK

It eventually will be required? My video card doesnt support this. And I cant buy a new computer for TSO. I guess I better enjoy my last days here, huh?

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

It eventually will be required? My video card doesnt support this. And I cant buy a new computer for TSO. I guess I better enjoy my last days here, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that this was going to be an option, guess I misunderstood what was said in the pub.
I wonder how many people will upgrade to a new video card to play this game. And I wonder how many will just quit.

M

MandiK

Is there a way to upgrade rather than buying a new computer? I guess it would depend on how much I would have to spend to play. I love this game, but I would have to give it up if it becomes too expensive. We are in the middle of buying a house and I just cant do it.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

Is there a way to upgrade rather than buying a new computer? I guess it would depend on how much I would have to spend to play. I love this game, but I would have to give it up if it becomes too expensive. We are in the middle of buying a house and I just cant do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can upgrade to a better video card.

M

MandiK

Yes. I understood when you said that. I dont know anything whatsoever about what a video card even is. I meant HOW do you 'upgrade a video card' rather than buying a new computer? is a video card something I can just buy and install myself? or, what?

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

Yes. I understood when you said that. I dont know anything whatsoever about what a video card even is. I meant HOW do you 'upgrade a video card' rather than buying a new computer? is a video card something I can just buy and install myself? or, what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can buy the video card and install it yourself. No need to buy a new computer unless your motherboard will not support the newer video cards. I suggest calling Best Buy and talking to the geek squad there. They can install it for you as well.

M

MandiK

Nah, I will look into buying one, but Im not gonna pay some dudes 874593874 bucks to come to my house and do something my hubby could probably do. I guess I will see how much I can find one for, to see if I can keep playing or not.

K

Keep It Real

You can take you PC to them at the store. But most anyone can install a video card, even laptop video cards are not "hard" to install.

N

nodgree

Its all going to depend on your PC as to wether you can upgrade the video card. Alot of "budget" PC's (walmart PC's are a good example) come with integrated video and only offer 2 standard PCI slots for upgrade. If this is the case, You're prolly stuck. On the other hand, if you have a decent machine that accepts AGP or PCI Express cards, you can prolly get a fairly inexpensive card and install it yourself. If you can tell me the make and model of your PC I can more than likely tell you how hard it will be to upgrade

N

nodgree

<blockquote><hr>

HP Pavilion. Says xt963 on the front. Thats all I know lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I can almost guarantee being a pavilion that it has the intgrated intel extreme graphics with only 2 standard PCI slots for upgrade. I'll check the model number tho.

M

MandiK

&lt;---- screwed. Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I will have to wait &amp; see what happens when the new graphics are mandatory. Until then, I will continue simming.

K

Keep It Real

Maybe not screwed yet Mandi, I have an older HP here that I was able to upgrade awhile back with a pci video card. You can have integrated video and a pci card on the same machine.

N

nodgree

<blockquote><hr>

&lt;---- screwed. Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I will have to wait &amp; see what happens when the new graphics are mandatory. Until then, I will continue simming.

[/ QUOTE ]

You MIGHT be able to find a standard PCI card that will support this but I'm pretty sure they are obsolete. Anyone else wanna shed some light on this?

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

I was under the impression that this was going to be an option, guess I misunderstood what was said in the pub.
I wonder how many people will upgrade to a new video card to play this game. And I wonder how many will just quit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apt question. I have a fairly new quality notebook and the graphics controller supports vertex but not pixel shaders. This computer travels all over the world and performs everything I've ever asked of it -- ironic that TSO is "above" the specs for it!

In all the years I have been in TSO, I have noticed that many players are using primitive systems. Most do not have the wherewithal to buy a new system, or do upgrades. Indeed, I would guess many of the old systems won't accept the type of graphics card needed. TSO has been a game that required less computer than most other games.

Looks like that is gonna change. I may upgrade. I feel badly for the many others who have no option to do so.

G

NOIP
It would very unwise at this point to spend money upgrading either card or comp.
Lee has already stated that most run-of-the-mill computers should be able to run the game.
He has also said that the trouble some are experiencing may be on their end, and has, in fact, fixed some of the issues relating to laptops.
When it's time to panic, Lee will tell you - in the meantime, play the old way and have patience.

From the blog:
<blockquote><hr>

The bottom line is that most cheap low-range desktop video-card hardware, that support SM2 will easily run our new game client, while some computers such as laptops that may even have SM2 hardware will not (sometimes as a result of poorely written software drivers, falling short of providing ‘true’ SM2 class support).

[/ QUOTE ]

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

NOIP
It would very unwise at this point to spend money upgrading either card or comp.
Lee has already stated that most run-of-the-mill computers should be able to run the game.
He has also said that the trouble some are experiencing may be on their end, and has, in fact, fixed some of the issues relating to laptops.
When it's time to panic, Lee will tell you - in the meantime, play the old way and have patience.

From the blog:
<blockquote><hr>

The bottom line is that most cheap low-range desktop video-card hardware, that support SM2 will easily run our new game client, while some computers such as laptops that may even have SM2 hardware will not (sometimes as a result of poorely written software drivers, falling short of providing ‘true’ SM2 class support).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Panic" isn't in my vocab, lol.

Good advice, though. I think many people will be upset by not seeing the touted new splash screen thinking they are doomed.

I

imported_LFancey

MandiK,

Is your computer a Laptop? If so might be hard to update but Uri will solve some of these.

If it is a desktop then there is a way provided you have an AGP slot, an PCIx slot, or just a plain old PCI slot that is open.

Pleanty of cards out there in the sub $70 dollar range that will be able to run the game.

Lee

G

I just downloaded Dx10, updated the drivers for my ATI Radeon X300 series video card, then launced TC3-test, but it says that it is "unsupported".

There are dozens of options (only one mentioned Shaders) on the Dell site to replace it with, but which one.....

I (and maybe others) could use a simple list of cards that will work.....I would hate to put out money for a new card and still have it be the wrong kind.

(fixed typo on card #)

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<center>Spreading the word</center>

Have you read Lee's latest post on the blog today?

lfancey said,

on November 9th, 2007 at 1:12 pm

<blockquote><hr>

Everyone,

Please help me. As I have tried hard to communicate this everywhere you all go.

First
Age of hardware is not an indication nor is the year you bought your PC.

Second.
We are working on it and will tell you what is the minimum. A page will go up detailing what cards we know work and what ones we know won’t we just need to collect the data In the mean time just go back to a non-test version and have fun.

Third.
No one has to quit or update hardware yet.

Fourth
The new test client runs slower and we will fix that. It is a test.

Fifth (and most important)
The one and only single change to the TC3-Test is a nifty splash screen as shown in Uri’s blog. It is a test application and that is all. If you are aching to see that splash screen move and trust me that is all you will see then hardware is requiried. I will say it again “I would not buy anything yet”

Did I mention that because this is a test you don’t have to run out to buy anything yet?

If there was anything new in the game we and those who could see it would be posting the pictures everywhere.

By the way since this is a test you don’t have to buy any video cards yet.

Spread the word.

Cheers

Lee

[/ QUOTE ]

Did anyone miss the part that this is a test? This is only a test. Had this been a real emergency you would have been given more directions.

I

imported_sedusa

By golly George I can read....LOL.

Yep I understand its a test, only a test, etc. And, the splash screen is mighty purty too.

M

MandiK

<blockquote><hr>

MandiK,

Is your computer a Laptop? If so might be hard to update but Uri will solve some of these.

If it is a desktop then there is a way provided you have an AGP slot, an PCIx slot, or just a plain old PCI slot that is open.

Pleanty of cards out there in the sub $70 dollar range that will be able to run the game.

Lee

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee, my computer is a desktop. I'm not worrying about it just yet though, I will wait til I have to (if I do).

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Did anyone miss the part that this is a test? This is only a test. Had this been a real emergency you would have been given more directions.

[/ QUOTE ]

<center>

D

dinaj

at least you can log in I just crash to desktop now
OY

that sharp stick would come in very handy right now ... watch yer backs Lee and Greg ...

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

at least you can log in I just crash to desktop now
OY

that sharp stick would come in very handy right now ... watch yer backs Lee and Greg ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you do the new install posted on the blog a few days ago? If so, use the repair that came with it. Or you can reinstall the game and overwrite the old files.

G

my computer supports There and TS2 and such, what could possibly be so much more advanced about the new TSO graphics update that my card isnt supported?

D

dinaj

thank you dahling ...
... I am just toooo lazy to look for my own fix so ummmm I posted here and you ma SUCKA fell for it.. he he ..

I

imported_sedusa

The first time I tried logging in a long skinny message popped up telling me something to the effect that my directx was not the right one. I had 9 but it wasnt a new enough 9.

N

nodgree

<blockquote><hr>

thank you dahling ...
... I am just toooo lazy to look for my own fix so ummmm I posted here and you ma SUCKA fell for it.. he he ..

[/ QUOTE ]

What kinda english is this?

D

dinaj

Do you have issues with me???? DO I know YOU???? For your information I post and play with humor.

since you are nitpicking the correct way to phrase YOUR sentence would have been ... What kind of NOT what kinda!

I

imported_sedusa

This is a friendly reminder to keep the thread on topic!

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you can buy one and install it at home, its not hard to swap them out. Age of the pc (motherboard), ram, processor speed, and size of the power supply are some of what you need to know when looking to buy a new video card. You can also take the PC to them and it wouldnt cost too much to have them check it out for you if you're unsure.

When I was looking into getting a new vid card for my pc I was told for some of the newer cards I "might" have to upgrade to a larger power supply also. This was told to me by a friend (one of the "Geek Squad" at Best Buy). But also that may just depend on the kind of pc you own. I have a Compaq X Gamer pc that runs hotter than a lot of regular pcs.

I wasnt worried about upgrading for TSO/EAland (of all games), in fact that had never entered my mind that I would need to for that. LOL I was going to get a new card for WoW, mostly because my vid card is on its way out anyway.

Most higher end online games need the fancier graphics cards for speed but for a game like TSO you never needed all the bells and whistles. TSO has been on the bottom for requirements as opposed to a game like WoW. Honestly that has been one of TSO's charms, you never had to get all kinds of fancy equipement to play, most pcs and laptops would run it no problem. Which made this game a joy for the casual player. With all of the changes being made it's going to make it very difficult for some.

I just dont see the need to vamp the graphics to the point where a lot of people have to upgrade their pcs or face the fact they cant play TSO/EAland anymore. I think its overkill. This isnt a game where you're running a 50+ man raid in an instance fighting numerous creatures.

Do we really need mega graphics for this type of game?
What's the point?
We want people to stay not leave!

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

I agree with you Bindy. I think TSO has been available to more people because it doesn't require high end hardware.

Not everyone can upgrade easily. I have a laptop that has a built-in controller, not a card. I have vertex but not pixel shader capability, meaning I cannot run the new TSO graphics. I would have to replace the mother board or buy a new computer to run the new graphics, which seems crazy -- this is not a cheap or outdated system. Of course, when I purchased this little workhorse of a laptop I wasn't looking for the latest "gaming technology" system -- I didn't think I needed it. Who knew? (That said, I am able to access and play most online games I've tried...)

I think many players have old systems that can't handle an upgrade, or, like me, have a system that cannot be upgraded. TSO was never a game that required the latest bells and whistles to play, and I think it is a mistake to push it in that direction. I'm not going to purchase a new system just to run TSO, and I don't know many who can or will.

If this is the price of having an improved game, the game itself will need to be sellable to new players with gaming computers in order to replace the subscribers who will be lost because they can't access the game.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If this is the price of having an improved game, the game itself will need to be sellable to new players with gaming computers in order to replace the subscribers who will be lost because they can't access the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
That raises a good question: who exactly is the target audience EA has in mind for EALand?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
That raises a good question: who exactly is the target audience EA has in mind for EALand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since it is going to be a hub for games, then I would think it is the hard-core gamer they are trying to capture, and cater to.

The Gaming community, is really the only market section, that has to frequently upgrade their machines, any more. Home computer users can operate on a basic machine, for a decade, just cruising the Internet, keeping their accounts balanced and playing solitaire. Businesses, only a little less time (changes in accounting software will drive upgrades).

Nope, it is gaming and the demands of increasingly complex software and graphics, that will keep the market in new systems, with all the bells &amp; whistles, booming.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Since it is going to be a hub for games, then I would think it is the hard-core gamer they are trying to capture, and cater to.

...Nope, it is gaming and the demands of increasingly complex software and graphics, that will keep the market in new systems, with all the bells &amp; whistles, booming.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are right, Gilly.

It really did make me laugh out loud, though, to think of hard-core gamers signing on to TSO. I can see the attraction of having portals to EA games, but TSO by any other name will still be TSO. It is the people who make the community and, as gamers go, we are not your typical hard-core group. It is kind of like picturing the cast of some tv show where everyone is oh-so-sophisticated, worldly and polished ending up in Mayberry. We tend to be "real" people, with deep friendships and loyalty to our community values. In general, we value creative intelligence over commercial glitz.

Yeah, I gotta laugh thinking of hard-core gamers using their high end gaming equipment to enter TSO.

K

Keep It Real

I can't see "hard core" gamers being interested in TSO/EA Land.

K

Keep It Real

It is kind of like picturing the cast of some tv show where everyone is oh-so-sophisticated, worldly and polished ending up in Mayberry.

G

<blockquote><hr>

It is kind of like picturing the cast of some tv show where everyone is oh-so-sophisticated, worldly and polished ending up in Mayberry.

[/ QUOTE ]
With the writers strike going on, you could probably sell that idea to the networks.

"Desperate Housewives of Mayberry". Anyone caught messing around any someone else's husband will get thumped on the head with a rolling pin by Aunt B.

K

Keep It Real

Milton.....please come clean the coffee off my moniter and keyboard now. tyvm.

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

I can't see "hard core" gamers being interested in TSO/EA Land.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you there. "Hard Core" gamers wont bother with using a gateway or whatever EA is planning on calling it to play games. I would imagine that would cause somewhat of a greater chance for lag than a direct link to a game. I dont know of many people that would bother going that route.

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
With the writers strike going on, you could probably sell that idea to the networks.

"Desperate Housewives of Mayberry". Anyone caught messing around any someone else's husband will get thumped on the head with a rolling pin by Aunt B.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL good one.

B

Bindy

The Gaming community, is really the only market section, that has to frequently upgrade their machines, any more. Home computer users can operate on a basic machine, for a decade, just cruising the Internet, keeping their accounts balanced and playing solitaire. Businesses, only a little less time (changes in accounting software will drive upgrades).

Nope, it is gaming and the demands of increasingly complex software and graphics, that will keep the market in new systems, with all the bells &amp; whistles, booming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is Gilly most pc makers arent even making gamer pcs anymore. With gaming consols out there like XBox and Wii, thats where the big bucks and all the bells and whistles are currently. Most regular pcs will run just about any online game there is these days without being offically a gamer pc or needing a lot of expensive upgrades. People that do upgrade vid cards do so because their old cards are simply worn out.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That seriously made me LOL...thanks Milton I needed that!