• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Test Center: Animate Dead: Solved

G

wow nicely done, i havent checked it myself, but it all makes sense. man how did you come up with all this? i can see you know some programming, at the very least, but very NICE. we should have a mod put this into the FAQ and give krrios props for discovering it.

K

krrios

Today on the Pub20 Test Center I've collected a lot of sample data for animate dead. Looking it over I could see the general algorithm but there were some cases which didn't match up. After a bit more testing, it turned out to be quite simple. Here's how it works:

As noted on the Necromancer spell details page, there are 5 different 'groups' of animates which are based on corpse type. Each animate has a 'requirement' level, which I'll explain after the list.

<pre>Group 1 (default):
18000: Lich Lord
10000: Flesh Golem
5000: Lich
3000: Skeletal Knight, Bone Knight
2000: Mummy
1000: Skeletal Mage, Bone Mage
0: Patchwork Skeleton

Group 2 (dragons):
18000: Skeletal Dragon
10000: Flesh Golem
5000: Lich
3000: Skeletal Knight, Bone Knight
2000: Mummy
1000: Skeletal Mage, Bone Mage
0: Patchwork Skeleton

Group 3 (insects, terathans -are- included):
0: Mound of Maggots (always)

Group 4 (elementals):
5000: Wailing Banshee
0: Wraith

Group 5 (horses, nightmares, firesteeds, ki-rins, unicorns):
10000: Hellsteed
0: Skeletal Steed</pre>

The value next to each animate determines if it's chosen. Let's see how it works:

First, a value which I'll call 'casterAbility' is calculated:

<pre>casterAbility = ((30% of necroSkill) + (70% of spiritSkill)) * 180</pre>

For example, let's plug in some numbers:

<pre>Necro Spirit Ability
120.0 120.0 21,600
100.0 100.0 18,000
60.0 60.0 10,800
40.0 0.0 2,430</pre>

As you might have guessed, this number is then referenced into the lists above. There is, however, one more step. This 'casterAbility' value may never exceed the dead creatures fame. Put another way, you cannot animate higher than the corpse is powerful.

<pre>if ( casterAbility &gt; corpseFame )
casterAbility = corpseFame;</pre>

An example of this:

A necromancer at 100 necromancy and 100 spirit speak (casterAbility = 18,000) raises a Wisp corpse. Wisps have 4,000 fame, so casterAbility becomes 4,000. That value is then referenced into the animates table and we see it'll turn into a skeletal knight.

Often it's easier to understand by example, so let's see what would happen when a 100nec, 80ss necromancer tried to animate a balron corpse:

Step 1: Compute caster ability:

<pre>casterAbility = ((30% of 100.0) + (70% of 80.0)) * 180
casterAbility = ((30) + (56)) * 180
casterAbility = (86) * 180 = 15,480</pre>

Step 2: Make sure casterAbility does not exceed corpseFame.

<pre>casterAbility = 15,480
corpseFame = 24,000
Is casterAbility &gt; corpseFame? No, so continue on to step 3</pre>

Step 3: Look up casterAbility in the animates table:

<pre>casterAbility = 15,480
Is casterAbility &gt;= 18,000? No. Skip Lich Lord, check next
Is casterAbility &gt;= 10,000? Yes. Pick Flesh Golem</pre>

That's all there is to it. Also, a complete and accurate list of creature fame values can be found here: http://guide.uo.com/bestiary.html

How long do animates last?

It depends on the animate. Every 1.65 seconds the animate loses a single hit point. When it reaches 0 it dies. As such, the stronger the animate is (more HP) the longer it will last. A byproduct of this is that when two equal creatures--one animated and one not--are fighting, the one that's not animated will win.

Here's a table of the approximate min and max durations for each animate:

<pre>Animate Name Min Max
Skeletal Dragon 18:34 19:55
Lich Lord 8:19 10:04
Mummy 6:55 7:23
Hellsteed 6:41 7:19
Bone Knight 3:55 4:59
Flesh Golem 3:31 3:59
Lich 3:25 3:59
Wailing Banshee 2:31 2:59
Mound of Maggots 2:01 2:19
Patchwork Skeleton 1:55 2:23
Bone Mage 1:31 1:59
Wraith 1:31 1:59
Skeletal Steed 1:21 1:39</pre>

G

Greatfellow

"That's all there is to it," says krrios. Well, for you, maybe. Thanks for sharing your math brain with one who is less fortunate (me).

G

Very nice work!
Made it sticky to replace my old inferior thread on this. Thanks for the research!

G

Oy i dont know if anyone else knows but....

when i animate a black solen inf queen
I get a lich.....

would his be a glitch of some sort?

K

krrios

I suppose that could be possible, but it does seem strange. I did not test solens, but I did terathan matriarchs (which have significantly higher fame) and they animated into maggot mounds.

-Edit-
By the way, solen infiltrator queens have 6500 fame, which would animate to a lich if it were in the default group. That begs the question: do other solens animate to maggot mounds? If yes, then it's likely an OSI oversight. If not, then either Stratics got it wrong or it was changed(seems unlikely).
-/Edit-

On another note, initial tests show that animated creatures have the same stats, skills, and resistances as their non-animated counterparts. They are, however, made weaker by how the spell duration is applied: every second the animated creature loses a single hit point, and dies when that reaches 0.

Because of that, even if you matched up two even SD's--one real and one animated--the real one would win.

G

I dont think thats true: At least the skeletal dragon apears to have lower HP/resists than it's real counterpart, I know in doom a skeletal takes a minute or so to kill by an average group of players, usually done with EVs, but I also remember a single mage taking on an animated one with little more than a single mana dump.

K

krrios

It could be that the higher level creatures are nerfed, I only checked animal lore up to the bone knights as I recall. I'll try to collect some sample stats for the higher level creatures.

W

wickedEdge

Any progress? I would try but it seems I am too much of ... a dumbass?

C

Citern

why would a mummy with only a 2000 fame requirement last nearly 7 minutes while a flesh golem that needs 10000 fame last only 3,3 minutes ? (give or take some seconds)

not to mention the others, is that data of the mummy accurate ?

makes no sence to me...

V

Vipralion

DOn't see it?

The time that the animate lasts is not based upon the fame of the creature but upon the hitpoints of the animate. A mummy has more HP than a flesh golem and thus, will last longer. Try looking at their HP and you'll see the pattern. That's how Krrios managed to determine the approximate times that they'll last.

OH and GREAT job Krrios!!! Nicely done.

B

blackemc2

Howdy,
One sidenote: Treefellows (500 fame) animate into ghouls.

K

krrios

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this. Anyway, preliminary testing with skeletal dragons does indeed seem they're not as powerful. It appears to be spawned with only half of their original strength and hit points.

Treefellows should be in elemental group? I'll try to confirm this.

T

troy423

the only thing ive ever got a skeletal dragon off of is a Shadow wyren, and as far as the rest being "fixed" it makes sence with numbers but nothing appears to be changed. so theres some math to it.

B

blackemc2

Treefellows in the elemental group works for me. Also, I animated a Blood Elemental (12500 fame) and got a Chaos Demon.

G

That is the 3rd report since AOS of a chaos deamon animating from a blood. I have never been able to reproduce this tough, so I think it's an easter egg feature.

T

thomas3dragon

Also just got a chaos demon last night.

Scared the 'soft dirt' right out of me, as I was frantically trying to take down a couple of Blood Elementals on the other side of the screen, and suddenly had this huge creature lumbering at me from behind. I had raised a corpse and didn't even wait to see what came up - they had been wailing banshees thus far.

I rather like it. &gt;:)

O

Oaks

Monsters that are half human/half insect create a mound of maggots half the time, and the human counterpart the other half.

G

Naw for me Its always
Normal solen warior...Maggots
Queens ancient Liches.
Drones I think maggot mounds.

But thanks for the reply oaks.

R

Ravenspyre

Ancient Liches? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/evileye.gif Wow, you msut pack some powerfuls tuff. I only get liches from solen queens. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

O

Oaks

Interesting results.

Well, what I posted is how it is *supposed* to work. =)

Oaks

O

Oaks

The animated Skeletal Dragon is intentionally weaker than the regular spawn version (because they are kinda uber).

O

Oaks

I'll bet they show up about 1 in 100 times when you animate anything with 10,000+ fame that would normally produce a "ghost" type creature. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Oaks

G

Its a lich Lord or ancient lich what I get dunno why But i do....I'll try it out tomorrow on black solens and tell ya the results.

I think Rare time I get a skele knight as well.

C

Crazydeadmonkey

Has anyone, tried to animate a champion from the champ spawns???

D

Dragonrider Fnor

Was a cool post. I hope you didn't mind me posting a sample to the General New page. My boss pulled the main news page just in case you did not give your permission. Keep up the good work. I would like to see any future work as well. Sometimes it just take people like yourself to really figure out what is truely happening with game mechanics.

Thanks!

K

krrios

<blockquote><hr>

Was a cool post. I hope you didn't mind me posting a sample to the General New page. My boss pulled the main news page just in case you did not give your permission.

<hr></blockquote>
I don't mind at all. It's my belief that such information is beneficial to the UO community, and more exposure to it is just fine with me.

<blockquote><hr>

Keep up the good work. I would like to see any future work as well. Sometimes it just take people like yourself to really figure out what is truely happening with game mechanics.

<hr></blockquote>
Well, I've done a few follow-up tests. Summoned skeletal dragons appear to lose exactly 50% of both strength and hit points. Also, the interval of hit point loss seems to be every 2 seconds, not 1.65. I believe I made the original mistake by using a wrong value for hit point regeneration.

You mention other work. In addition to this study, I've done a few more:<ul>[*]Swing speeds and stamina loss (in use: here)
[*]Magery casting/recovery speeds (in use: here)
[*]Paladin casting/recovery speeds
[*]Necromancy casting/recovery speeds
[*]Fame and karma gain (this last one seems to have gone relatively unnoticed; it slipped out of the main forum page pretty quickly)[/list]

These studies were done some time ago, but I believe most remain true today.

W

wickedEdge

<blockquote><hr>

Sometimes it just take people like yourself to really figure out what is truely happening with game mechanics.

<hr></blockquote>
scripting the best uo emulator ever makes you smart that way AND awsome

A

Ammon_Raah

ah, sorry. After i read more carefully i found the answer of the question i asked

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right now, I ve only tried Semidar ... it produced a Lich Lord (Legend Necro + Medium).

D

Drum

Does Animate Dead work on Summoned creatures? Summon Creature, Summon Elem/Daemon... they leave a corpse..

D

Drum

Here's the thing, I'd like to create a Necro/Tamer(pirate) with the ability to have spell casting pets that when dead, can be animated into spellcasting undead. Ideally, max number of spell casting pets(2x Imps?), which can turn into max # of (at least) liches.

If someone could run the numbers for me, i would be enternally grateful. Thanks a bunch.

I

imported_sbom

<blockquote><hr>

Has anyone, tried to animate a champion from the champ spawns???

<hr></blockquote>

Riktor -&gt; skeletal dragon
Don't know about others, never tried.

Z

Zak-DK

Can anyone link the abilities of these Animated Dead ? I cant seem to find them anywhere /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

F

Faith/Atl/RP

I wonder what a true harrower would become? Now THAT would be a surprise!

R

Rakshasa

Wait a minnit. Krios scripted an entire emulator? And is it better than the standard client? If so, where do I get it?

C

Chandalir

Just for the record - this stops right here.

And remember that PM's are covered by the RoC as well, so lets keep this entirely off the Stratics forums shall we?

I

imported_kalzaketh

to expand, your list by 1 maybe,A black solen queen redered a lich. at leastone time during this holiday weekend.

G

Ghosty

<blockquote><hr>

That is the 3rd report since AOS of a chaos deamon animating from a blood. I have never been able to reproduce this tough, so I think it's an easter egg feature.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got one from a blood some months ago. Haven't seen one since.

S

Semidar

The MINIMUN skills needed for MAXING reanimation effects WITHOUT ANIMATE DEAD's FIZZ are 80 necro/108.6 Spirit Speak