• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Template Q: Gargoyle Thrower/Tamer

T

tatey

I rejoined about four months ago, and typically switch back and forth between crafting and taming. My tamer template is typical, very strong, and very boring:

110 Taming
110 Lore
90-100 Vet
~65 Chivalry (remove curse)
110 Magery
Sometimes Meditation, other times not.

As you see, I have many points left over. Tamers are so powerful with the right tactics, I really don't need anything else. In fact, I even kept some crafting skills on this guy for awhile because I had so much room! I want to add variety and diversity to the character, but I have no interest in barding skills. I know a few disco tamers, and they're powerful, but I want to go somewhere else with it. I'm also not very interested in spellweaving.

Actually what I really want to put on my tamer (gargoyle btw) is Throwing. Anybody out there with a Throwing tamer? I don't really want to be a huge damage dealer, first because I don't have the skill points for it, and second because I don't want to take the aggro from the mob. I'm really only interested in the benefits I can get by equipping a weapon, having that defense chance from a melee skill, and also a shield slot. It would also be nice just to be able to take down enemies with an area effect hit on the throwing weapon, while my tames are working one by one. I can think of many more benefits too, I'm just stuck on picking the final few skills.

Given Skills:

120 Throwing
110 Taming
110 Lore
100 Vet
100-110 Magery
---------------
550 Skills
170 Up For Grabs + 60 for jewelry possible + XX from items possible
= 230+ skill points Up For Grabs

Up For Grabs:

XX Tactics? damage necessary?
XX Anatomy? MORE damage necessary?
XX Necro? can't do a sampire template, is it worth any other spells?
XX Mysticism? i honestly don't know jack about this skill
XX Bushido? with a throwing weapon might not work too well?
XX Meditation? arguably not needed with mana leech on the throwing weapon
65 Chivalry would be nice to be able to keep, but only good for Miasma really

jbfortune

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey,

Something like this maybe?

Taming 120
Lore 120
Vet 100
Chiv 70
Throwing 120
Tactics 120
Bushido 70

Maybe go to 100 Bushido on your jewels. They way I see it, you don't really need magery. Chiv can heal you and vet can heal your pet. Chiv will also help up the dmg output with your throwing. Bushido for Honor and LS really. Honor is a tamers best friend.

My Tamer/Mage Temp All real skills

120 in Taming, Lore, Vet, Magery, Eval and Med. I wish I had more points free! I'd like to add SW and Myst onto it.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
That's a good. Or perhaps something with med.

120 throwing
120 tactics
115 lore
110 taming
110 vet
80 chivalry
60 meditation

5% Luck

Ive been questioning throwing too. IDK if you check out the warrior board they seem to complain throwing is bugged. Check it out there and on TC see if ya like it.

If I was gona go throwing tamer which I just might:

120 tame
120 lore
120 throw
100 vet
100 tact
99 necro
65 chiv
rest in bushy

725 +106 "720 cap"(max jewlery no good garg skill armor maybe the +chiv shield?)
gets you 101 bushy

jbfortune

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only reason you'd go with 99 Necro is to go into Vamp form to leach life right? But the idea really with a Thrower\tamer is to not get hit yourself and let the pet tank for you. So life leeching from Vamp form really isn't needed.

5% Luck

The only reason you'd go with 99 Necro is to go into Vamp form to leach life right? But the idea really with a Thrower\tamer is to not get hit yourself and let the pet tank for you. So life leeching from Vamp form really isn't needed.
Yes and no. I have ran this type of temp for a while now and what I run into is well runners. If ya get what I mean. A mob that spams greater heal or spirit speak towards the end like a greater dragon tends to retarget the tamer and you pet will run around kind of aimless if its a flyer like a balron. That makes for a really peculiar predicament where if your pet is either not a caster or is mana drained you are 90% of that last bit of damage.

This is where the vamp form realy kicks in. EoO CW and special moves tend to help but still on some mobs its a tough run to the end. The vamp form makes it so you dont need to stop to heal and cure!

The other place this makes a difference and this only applies to melee range/vet range is an AoE caster. A mob that spams wither is most common on my hunting grounds. With a good slayer and chived up you should be able to leech through most tough fights without breaking off and especially when the AoE attack happens to set you as the target instead of your pet and you dont have peace/invisi and dont want to spend your honor unless its dire.

That said the vamp form isnt necessary per sae but on the occasion that you are fighting certain mobs it can make or break the fight.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If you want to be able to use specials on your weapons, you will want 90 tactics. You could also drop ten in vet to give yourself 120 magery for heals, or better yet, drop magery altogether and go with 105 chiv with 4/6 casting for the huge advantage of being able to use holy light, plus the fastest healing in the game. That would also save you having to put spell channelling on your weapon.

T

tatey

You could also drop ten in vet to give yourself 120 magery for heals, or better yet, drop magery altogether and go with 105 chiv with 4/6 casting for the huge advantage of being able to use holy light, plus the fastest healing in the game. That would also save you having to put spell channelling on your weapon.
I like the way you think Llewen :) I didn't consider going all the way up with chivalry for ranged healing too. Have you tried this? I would think though that since the range on close wounds is so small, that I might still be hit with area of effect spells from monsters?

But it would be really really nice to free up spell channeling from the weapon, and to have holy light, that would be a great idea!

So here would be my preferred revised template:

120 Throwing
100 Tactics
110 Taming
110 Lore
90 Vet
105 Chivalry
--------------
625 points, 155 remaining

So with those remaining points, it looks like it wouldn't hurt to throw in some Meditation, and Anatomy maybe? I feel like there could be one last effective skill. Maybe Necro?

100 Necro
55 Meditation

Kind of contradicts chivalry, but that could be interesting...

Ahhh I also realized that without magery I won't be able to cast Invis... which is pretty huge sometimes.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I like the way you think Llewen :) I didn't consider going all the way up with chivalry for ranged healing too. Have you tried this? I would think though that since the range on close wounds is so small, that I might still be hit with area of effect spells from monsters?

But it would be really really nice to free up spell channeling from the weapon, and to have holy light, that would be a great idea!

So here would be my preferred revised template:

120 Throwing
100 Tactics
110 Taming
110 Lore
90 Vet
105 Chivalry
--------------
625 points, 155 remaining

So with those remaining points, it looks like it wouldn't hurt to throw in some Meditation, and Anatomy maybe? I feel like there could be one last effective skill. Maybe Necro?

100 Necro
55 Meditation

Kind of contradicts chivalry, but that could be interesting...

Ahhh I also realized that without magery I won't be able to cast Invis... which is pretty huge sometimes.
You definitely want med. You can burn through a lot of mana with chiv casting. Yes the range on close wounds is short, but with 4/6 casting you should be able to keep yourself and your pets alive in anything except the most extreme circumstances - but the key is 4/6 casting, you must have that or the chiv isn't worth it. I would suggest you take 100 in anatomy and 55 in med, although there is no such thing as too much med.

Invis is nice, but for yourself you can use pots. For your pet, it will be trickier, just make sure you carry a pet ball at all times and be creative with it's use. There's nothing wrong with leaving your pet behind to scout out a dangerous location, then calling it when you have a handle on the tactical situation.