• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[TECH] OT: Windows 7 Install Issue!!!

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, my vista has been acting up. Turning off my wireless card whenever it felt like, bogging down, crashing things. So I got windows 7.

Now maybe im ignorant in my old ways, but I prefer full install over the upgrade. Everything just seems to flow better.

So I backed up my data on my 1.5TB external drive. And threw in the Win7 Home Premium Disc. Setup fired up, picked time, and keyboard etc. Now I get to the part where it I pick the partitions. I had 2 on there. The main partition, and the little recovery partition. Now, I think this was my "TSN Turning Point", where it all went sideways. The recovery partition on the laptop would be useless to me, so I deleted both partitions, and made one 500GB unpartitioned space. I then made it into a partitioned space. But setup wont allow install.

So I went into the CMD prompt, and checked out why. Says its write protected...DOH, must be the recovery part being protected, and not allowing me to do anything....

So where do I go from here? I got a $2000 paperweight on my couch!

AEowynSP

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And this is why I love my MAC.
Whats the exchange rate by the way on 2K Canadian dollars to euros and yen?
Just courious.

E

Essence of Siege

Well, my vista has been acting up. Turning off my wireless card whenever it felt like, bogging down, crashing things. So I got windows 7.

Now maybe im ignorant in my old ways, but I prefer full install over the upgrade. Everything just seems to flow better.

So I backed up my data on my 1.5TB external drive. And threw in the Win7 Home Premium Disc. Setup fired up, picked time, and keyboard etc. Now I get to the part where it I pick the partitions. I had 2 on there. The main partition, and the little recovery partition. Now, I think this was my "TSN Turning Point", where it all went sideways. The recovery partition on the laptop would be useless to me, so I deleted both partitions, and made one 500GB unpartitioned space. I then made it into a partitioned space. But setup wont allow install.

So I went into the CMD prompt, and checked out why. Says its write protected...DOH, must be the recovery part being protected, and not allowing me to do anything....

So where do I go from here? I got a $2000 paperweight on my couch!
What brand was the laptop? Strange that the disk would be write protected, that's a new one.

What kind of message does Win7 throw while trying to install?

B

Bruin

Write protected? I've never heard of a hard disk being write protected.

Just try again, delete the partion (as you've already done this) and see what happens.

E

Essence of Siege

And this is why I love my MAC.
Whats the exchange rate by the way on 2K Canadian dollars to euros and yen?
Just courious.
Why do MAC users always have to comment everytime someone has a windows issue?

I know plenty of mac users and they have just as many issues as windows users. I'm curious if you are using only mac OS or are you dual booting/using Parrallels to Windows?

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its an HP HDX18 Laptop.

When I try and install, it says something along the lines of this...
"Windows can not create a new parition, or install on selected parition. Please see error log file for details"

Now I have no idea where to look at this error log, so I went into the command prompt from the windows install (shift+f10). Chose partition 0 (my 500gb partition), deleted, recreated, over and over. Now if I try and do a low level format from the command prompt, thats where I get the disk is write protected error.

AEowynSP

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do MAC users always have to comment everytime someone has a windows issue?

I know plenty of mac users and they have just as many issues as windows users. I'm curious if you are using only mac OS or are you dual booting/using Parrallels to Windows?
Sorry I was trying to be funny about the 2K doorstop comment; that and I live near Seattle and despise Bill Gates.
I have 2 PC towers the one I play UO on is 5+ years old. 3 mac laptops also years old, I am still running XP and 10.

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Id love a mac, but even then to play UO when on the road, id need a dual boot of Windows. Since I dont know of a Mac Version of UO

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the command prompt it's probably not set to have write access since you've already logged in to Windows. Windows installer should ignore that, and just wipe the partition.

If you boot normally, does it still boot? Or did it actually write changes to the partition table?

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I try and boot, it does nada, since the partition holding vista was deleted.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does the recovery partition still show when you go to install?

You could try creating a smaller partition to install to, see if it works at all.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how do you run in uo with a mac with only one mouse button? Do you just stand open your pack over and over?

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I have no idea what happened but its working now.

I came down to the desktop, googled, and decided to format my USB thumb drive for boot, and try using an fdisk type proggy to format the drive, and then boot the install. Anyway went up stairs after an hour or so, and it was at the install screen where i left it, figured id give it one more go, and reboot. Well it worked. This time when I created the partition, it created a 100M system partition, and the remainder system. Seems to be installing. WTF? Never changed a thing in the way I did it. Tried atleast 10 times of reboot, and format, or partition etc. Lame

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have seen some people mention on Vista forums about the disk attributes being arbitrarily changed to read only, and in some cases the volume did not show the attribute but using the diskpart.exe utility that ships with Vista from the command line to manually clear the read only attribute (whether visible or not) fixed the problem. Not sure if something similar happened to yours, but that may be the case.

-Skylark

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tired clearing with diskpart, as it also comes on the 7 disk. Thats one of the commands you have available when you go to the prompt during setup (shift+f10). I tried clearing, tried everything, I guess it came down to creating the partition, not formatting it, restarting, and then trying the format. All I can think. Though Im sure I tried that before. Meh, worked this time. Another POS cranked out my MS, why cant they get the simple things down before worrying about the flashy stuff