• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming vs Lore in pet control

G

Gellor

I was going through a lot of old posts about tamer templates and was curious, how do you figure the "best" range of taming vs lore.

As an example, I've seen the following odd combos:
120 taming, 100 lore
110 taming, 110 lore
115 taming, 110 lore
etc

Aside from stable slots and actual taming your pets, is there a reason to really go 120 taming and 120 lore?

It seems like aside from dread mare and firesteed, 115 taming and 105 lore gives max control on all pets. It even appears 110 and 110 works as well.

I've already got my main tamer 120'd out but was considering another but skill set is where I'm stuck at.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I look at a couple of things before I decide on the taming skill levels. My main tamer has 120 because that enables her to tame and control everything without messing with skill items. She's a stealth herder so naturally my first choice for any big taming trips.

The younger tamers won't be taming that often and have fairly tight templates so I've set them at 110. Don't use dreads or greaters on them, so I'm controlling all their pets at that level. That way I get the 110 stable slots and I can put on a skill increase item if I need to tame a new pet quickly and don't have time to grab my main girl.

I also like to get as much vet and lore in there to ensure I'm healing a decent amount of damage and prevent too many resurrection failures. My younger girls run higher risk templates so the vet/lore supports their pets if things get crazy ;)

Wenchy

T

Thobius

I was going to post something very similar myself.

I'm currently training a Tamer / Mage / Weaver and my template is very tight. It would be really helpful if I could get away with 115 taming & lore (110 real + Birds of Britannia) or perhaps even 110/110. Either taming/lore combo would free up a few extra points and enable me to take weaving above 100.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my opinion, having taming and lore at the required level to tame is good enough in almost every scenario. The only exception is when you really really really want/need near perfection of commands being executed.

Now having said that, the higher your taming is above the required to tame, the more likely, in the long run, your going to be able to tame the mob.

I would say your Lore @105 + 5 from the Bird is good enough (actually probably 100+5 is good enough) for control.

The taming is going to be your issue if you want to tame or just control. Regardless, 112.5 in taming will give you good taming for everything in the game as of now. Regardless of that total being reached in raw skills or Jewelry.

The condition I would add to the above is that Taming is so darned hard to raise, that one needs to very very seriously look at ever losing a point of taming.

T

Thobius

In my opinion, having taming and lore at the required level to tame is good enough in almost every scenario. The only exception is when you really really really want/need near perfection of commands being executed.

Now having said that, the higher your taming is above the required to tame, the more likely, in the long run, your going to be able to tame the mob.

I would say your Lore @105 + 5 from the Bird is good enough (actually probably 100+5 is good enough) for control.

The taming is going to be your issue if you want to tame or just control. Regardless, 112.5 in taming will give you good taming for everything in the game as of now. Regardless of that total being reached in raw skills or Jewelry.

The condition I would add to the above is that Taming is so darned hard to raise, that one needs to very very seriously look at ever losing a point of taming.
Thanks for the great advice. I think I'll run 115 taming and 115 lore (110 real + 5 Birds of Brit). That will give me the opportunity to tame my own pets and not rely on a guildie to help. Plus it'll free 20 points for notching spell weaving to 110 and perhaps magery to 110 too. Template will look something like this...

115 (110 real) Taming
115 (110 real) Lore
100 Vet
110 Magery
100 Med
100 (80 real) Eval
110 Spell weaving

So Taming is actually really difficult to gain? I thought my char was bugged or something. I gained 1.3 Lore today (100.1 --> 101.4) for a total of 0.1 Taming gain (91.7 --> 91.8). I've tried everything from locking all other skills, to training with and without jewels, to taming creatures at, above and below my skill level. Most I've managed to gain in a day's gaming since reaching 85 has been like 1.0. Glad to know I'm not the only one :thumbsup:

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I typically go 110 to 115 lore, 110 taming. I do this because lore raises faster than taming.

Of course, I'm not taming so much as using pets.

G

Gellor

That is kind of what I thought. My non pure tamer will go 110 and 110.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the great advice. I think I'll run 115 taming and 115 lore (110 real + 5 Birds of Brit). That will give me the opportunity to tame my own pets and not rely on a guildie to help. Plus it'll free 20 points for notching spell weaving to 110 and perhaps magery to 110 too. Template will look something like this...

115 (110 real) Taming
115 (110 real) Lore
100 Vet
110 Magery
100 Med
100 (80 real) Eval
110 Spell weaving

So Taming is actually really difficult to gain? I thought my char was bugged or something. I gained 1.3 Lore today (100.1 --> 101.4) for a total of 0.1 Taming gain (91.7 --> 91.8). I've tried everything from locking all other skills, to training with and without jewels, to taming creatures at, above and below my skill level. Most I've managed to gain in a day's gaming since reaching 85 has been like 1.0. Glad to know I'm not the only one :thumbsup:
The Template looks good to me, the only thing I will point out is that lore at 115 may not be buying you what it is worth.

Or in short, Lore @105+5 from the Bird=110 That gets you the extra stable slot.

Naked Taming 110+Lore 105 will let you control anything in the game as of now.

Not that I go around trying to control my High To Tame pets naked. No sir, I do not do that. I go get my STUFF first if they die they die, better that than risk them going wild.

If they die, it is an hour of training everything back up.

If they go wild, well considering I died, then there is a good chance I may be extremely challenged to get the pet retamed. Not because I will fail, but because what ever is there that killed me is probably still there. Should the fight go on and the pet that went wild dies, it is over slam dunk, new pet time.

There is just no point to it, in my opinion. The one over riding factor is when there is a special event that has mobs that can make the pet go wild. If I take the pet to the party, I will have made darn sure before hand that I can mitigate the going wild and crazy thing. Otherwise the pet stays home.