• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming training issue.... please don't FLAME me!!

C

ColonelKurtz

Hola UO Compadres!!

I was just wondering if anyone has tried "stoning" their other skills to keep your overall stat points low so you can reduce your GGS time and/or gain better in taming?? Just curious....

so you could be like 95 in taming and zero in all others and maybe get better gains???

:mf_prop:

thanks for your input!

the Colonel

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
read here: http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=107415

I raised taming from 90 to 110, the skill is raising very slow and randomly but still raising ;)
sometimes you can stay 3 hours without a gain, sometimes 10 hours, but after this stuck you can earn your points :)

stone the other skills is unusefull (IMHO) because you lose more than what you earn... you cant recall or kill beasts for example and the gains are 1 more every about 6 hours if you stay under 100, else it is about 10 hours...

U

uoBuoY

I have done the reduced skill thing and it sure "feels" as though I gain Taming faster. At 115 and up I can't stand Taming training and I rely on GGS only and I sometimes got 3 GGS gains per day by logging in every 8 hrs.

Pinco wrote: "stone the other skills is unusefull (IMHO) because you lose more than what you earn... you cant recall or kill beasts for example and the gains are 1 more every about 6 hours if you stay under 100, else it is about 10 hours..."

A char with zero total skill can recall with scrolls in a rune book.

When your Taming is low, keep 2 of whatever you training with and use them to kill your released Tames. Gaman will take Taming to about 109. At 109 Taming, add 1 Lore ( yes that 1 is not a typo) and you have 83.2% to control A Night Mare (47.8% chance to Tame). Mares are handy killing tools!

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You will get faster gains with lower skill, but it's up to you whether you want to solely train that character or use them while you train.

I'd suggest sticking it out without other skills for as long as you can, then letting others raise. Or you can use a few soulstones to take skills back onto your tamer so he can relax and hunt for a change, then soulstone them back off for more training. It's worth looking at the GGS skill gain info on UO.com to see how much you'll gain at the different skill levels. That'll help you figure out what suits you best.

Wenchy

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With all my (current training) tamers skills, and her 117+ taming level, I was getting GGS every day and a half. I stoned everything off and am now getting .2 from GGS every day. I haven't been able to get normal taming gains so it's working better for me. I have enough tamers though, I don't need her in the fighting rotation at the moment.

U

uoBuoY

You will get faster gains with lower skill, but it's up to you whether you want to solely train that character or use them while you train.

I'd suggest sticking it out without other skills for as long as you can, then letting others raise. Or you can use a few soulstones to take skills back onto your tamer so he can relax and hunt for a change, then soulstone them back off for more training. It's worth looking at the GGS skill gain info on UO.com to see how much you'll gain at the different skill levels. That'll help you figure out what suits you best.

Wenchy
Wenchy, I tried that stoning skills for gains and skilling up for play and it didn't work for me. My GGS gains seemed to be based on 740 total skill not the slimmed down 100 or so total. I would hunt night 1 and then swap out everything but taming. Night 2 no GGS. Hunt again fully loaded and then stone all but taming. Night 3 no GGS and no hunting! Night 4 Finally a GGS.

I'd love it if it worked!

I'm in the process of building a new Tamer/DiscoBard and I'm using 2 chars to do it! One is working taming and the other the bard (I got a lot of SSs). At least I get 2-3 GGSs every day!

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has worked well for me. I currently have a mage tamer that I stoned all but taming and lore on. She is 120 lore, 103.4 taming. I keep her parked at the bull pens, and log onto her about 3 times a day at 7 or so hour intervals...go tame a bull or two to get a gain, and log back off. I brought her cu along kill off the tames. I just need to get her to 107 and that's where she'll stay, as I have a sweet ring for her.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wenchy, I tried that stoning skills for gains and skilling up for play and it didn't work for me. My GGS gains seemed to be based on 740 total skill not the slimmed down 100 or so total. I would hunt night 1 and then swap out everything but taming. Night 2 no GGS. Hunt again fully loaded and then stone all but taming. Night 3 no GGS and no hunting! Night 4 Finally a GGS.

I'd love it if it worked!

I'm in the process of building a new Tamer/DiscoBard and I'm using 2 chars to do it! One is working taming and the other the bard (I got a lot of SSs). At least I get 2-3 GGSs every day!
It's certainly always worked for me. I wonder if your character was bugged in not realising their used skill total had fallen? I've always had chars gain as I'd expect as I reduced their skills total, taming or not.

I'll have to see if I can stone skills off one of my younger tamers and try to see if the caps are changing for my chars still. With all the bugs taming has acquired lately, I wouldn't be amazed if we had another :D

Wenchy

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The worst thing you can do is rely only on the ggs. Just tame tame and tame. I tried stoning all skills but taming lore and vet and ggs just didn't cut it. My tamer is female so I just tamed unicorns over and over again. They don't aggro on you and after tamed and released you dont lose karma for killing them.