• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming stuck

P

Prudentis

At 98.9 I didn't even get my GGS for two days. I stoned Focus so I'm only at 600+. And YES, taming is set to raise

Been taming white wolves and great harts with the addition of some cu sidhes and kirins for the zoo (with jewelry)
But even the best day, three days ago was only .4 in 1.5 hours.
Is this normal or should I expect better gains, as some of you have suggested. Mainly Hintori, who claims to be able to GM taming within two weeks of casual play ...

I

imported_Legacyee

I've got to admit that I am at about the same level, and I just tame Bulls and gamen, and I am getting my GGS (most of the time) but it is very slow and I would expect more than .4 in 90 minutes, but not much more.

G

I'm not sure if this still works, but worth trying it...

Set one of your stats to go down a point and one to raise. Tame again. For some inexplicable reason I've gotten my gains to un-stick simply by allowing a stat to gain.

Now I know you've set taming to raise, but have you got something set to fall?
*has forgotten that too often*

Oh and out of desperation, sometimes I try snacking on cookies in game hehe. Luckily Ailsa doesn't have to watch her figure!

Wenchy

P

Prudentis

I have just over 630 points total because I stoned off focus.
At least I got my GGS yesterday so I'm at 99 real right now. Still after half an hour of gamen taming not a single normal gain. I don't even want to imagine, how aweful 100+ will be

With GGS @ 100+ and 700 points being on a 32hours - 51 hours timer = 41.5h
= 20 points = 200 needed gains = a minimum of 8100 hours = 337.5 days and that would be without missing a single GGS

Guess I'll never hit legendary if I do it that way.
I miss power hour ...

G

Can't remember taming skill on gaman but my favorite around your level is greater harts in healer's grove. Nice fast taming there, but the gains are still fairly slow
That's why I started using my newbie girl to work cu sidhe for coloured ones to sell. I wasn't watching her skill gain and made a few millions selling the pups too
It gets tedious in the extreme around GM, I'm so glad I have kitsune for the young tamers heh.

Wenchy

P

Prudentis

Over GM it's probably even worse, right?
I guess I'll lock taming at GM and just get me a nice +15 ring along with FC/FCR (Avalac'h is a mage/tamer)
I am taming cu's just for the fun of it and because I'm waiting for my white/black one with great stats, but I don't think you can sell the colored ones any longer if they have mediocre stats.
I want to have another tamer, too, (tamer bard) but seeing how taming is still the only skill that you cannot speed up in any way, I might just let it be

Reading Hintori's post a few days ago, where he claimed to have been able to go from 0 to GM in two weeks, I had my hopes up for a while, but now I must say, that he probably just lost the perception of time having trained so many tamers nad now ten hours seem to him like one hour

Other that that I cannot see, how you can GM taming in two weeks.

And great harts didn't give me any better results than white wolves. Even worse.
In the last few days I tried great harts, white wolves and gamen with almost the same results. The difference, if there was any, is subject to perception failure so I don't think I can draw any conclusions.
Does anyone have a correct formula for gains?
I mean with so little chances at success, it would be great to at least have the correct numbers.

So here is how I see it:
Taming has a focus of 50.
So with my skill of 99 the creatures I can tame for gain will be those within the 50 focus bracket which means 74 - 124 difficulty or 49 - 99 min skill.
But now, what we need to know, is the chance of a skill check and how the skill check is determined by the relative difficulty. I would suppose, that the skill check is always performed, as long as the creature is within the skill focus relative to your skill. But what about the chance of gain? Is it safe to assume, that the higer the relative difficulty, the higher the chance of gain?
So with a 1% tame chance creature you would have the best chances to gain on a success tame? That would of course be weighted against the very low chance of success. And if the decreased skill gain chance by taming too low creatures falls linearly to the increased taming chance, than theoretically they would even out.
BUT: if the two values do not correlate linearly or are capped at a point, than there could exist a small window of best gain/time.
On top of that even if the correlation was linear, like a 1% tame chance critte was 100% gain and a 99% creature was a 1% gain chance (it actually would be a modification) than taming harder creatures was actually better because of the lower number of creatures needed and with that, lower number of pauses due to killing/sicing/searching
On top of it, there is jewelry, and what it does obviously, is increase the chance to tame higher level critters. But what we don't know exactly, is how it influences the gain bracket and the relative gain modifier.

So without the actual numbers, all we can do is guess. I would really like to see the real numbers, so we could at least tame the right cretures. Taming is difficult without us taming the "wrong" creatures.
I guess all I can do, is go out and start a new atmer and try it out. Say, tame one breed of creature 100 times and watch the fails/successes/gains
Then start another tamer at and try a different breed ...
That may take a while, but it probably would give me some insights into how skill gains are calculated.
But if someone already knows exactly how it works, than please, tell me

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know what tamers problem is with taming gains on Drachenfels. Jessica is stealing all yours gains!

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm currently at 107.0 taming. I stoned everything except 100 vet 100 lore and the 107 taming. at that level i get my ggs .1 every 8 hours. Only downfall is I cant really use the char until im finished taming.

G

To get the power trained up tamer you're probably talking about spending many hours of the day taming intensively. I tried that with Ailsa but I'm not in such a hurry with my younger girls heh. The reason I favour healers grove and then the ridgeback spawn is that even if my gains are a bit slower, I don't lose time looking for the next spawn. Wherever you tame, if you can work fast and efficiently, you'll max your gains. It's never going to be a fast skill to raise though.

For more info about gains I'd look here and here.

I'm sure there are more recent guides, that's just my preferred one.

Wenchy

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

I don't even want to imagine, how aweful 100+ will be

[/ QUOTE ]
You know, oddly enough, I have noticed at times that skills start to gain a bit faster after they pass the gm mark. I'm guessing that when the stat gain over 100 was introduced, the actual skill gain code for skills once they passed gm was different. However, there is no doubt, taming is a slow skill to train, no matter how you look at it.

I found the least painful way to train was to farm something that I could gain on, that I was looking for as a pet. In the days I trained up to 110 I was farming cu sidhe. When you are actually having fun and looking for something special, the time goes much faster, and the gains become a bonus rather than a chore.

P

Prudentis

You are definitely right.
I just came back thinking that I only have 4.5 points to "finish" my tamer only to find out, that i need 24.5

And that is only the one I have from back in 2000.
Not to mention the ones I hoped to train up: tamer/bard and eventually a stealth/tamer.

I suppose I will still make my tests and tame Avalac'h from time to time with what I think is the best method and start the others some time in the future. Or maybe use the onece I create for the test

However, I will probably just accept, that they will all be jewelry users. Hey, there's a bright side to it. Taming jewelry is common and I free up some skill points for other skills

I'll get back here (maybe a new thread) once I have run my tests.
I still hate it, that noone has made the propper testing. The guides I see are just guesses

I loved it form the DAOC community, that you had some really strange guys who would run hundreds of tests for you and compile them into neat almost perfect guidlines

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

However, I will probably just accept, that they will all be jewelry users. Hey, there's a bright side to it. Taming jewelry is common and I free up some skill points for other skills

[/ QUOTE ]
I have 62 extra points in skills on my suit, and I love it. I couldn't care less whether I have "real" skills or not - although I must admit, I am happy that I have one real legendary skill so I at least have a legendary title (ya, I'm also susceptible to pixel crack and bling...
).

<blockquote><hr>

I'll get back here (maybe a new thread) once I have run my tests.
I still hate it, that noone has made the propper testing. The guides I see are just guesses

I loved it form the DAOC community, that you had some really strange guys who would run hundreds of tests for you and compile them into neat almost perfect guidlines

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I hate it when someone figures out the perfect formula and posts it, and from there on, EVERYONE uses that same formula. Thankfully, UO is a game that has so much depth that there are always new things to figure out, and different ways of accomplishing your goals.