• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Taming on a resource gatherer? Consider...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's a few things to consider about the recent taming changes that allow pet training....

1. Existing Beetles (Giant and Fire) drop to 1 slot when trained (new ones start at 1 slot, but many of us have sentimental reasons for keeping the old ones), and can be trained up all the way to 5 slots, if you want. However, at 5 slots they require 108 Taming.
  2. However, if you only go up to 75 Taming, you can have 2-slot Beetles, and have both a Giant Beetle AND a Fire Beetle with you at the same time. If you go to 95 taming, you can have one of them back up to 3 slots.
  3. Said beetles could easily be modified to maximum resists of 80 in 4 resists, 45 in the last, and have greatly enhanced combat skills (150 dex and stamina for more swings, improved DPS, and more HP & strength - not to mention HP regen). And that's easily done at just the 2-slot level.
  4. The Giant Beetle, if its strength is trained up, no longer has that annoying issue with "fatigue" once it hits a quarter load and is ridden (and, my 5-slot beetle can run around with a full 16000 ingots and me on board).
  5. The Giant Beetle improvement is just as useful for a lumberjack. In fact, if a Tamer is used as a lumberjack (say, by using soulstones to swap out a non-taming skill), a 5 slot beetle is a great pet for a Fel or Ter Mur/Eodon Lumberjack (or a dungeon miner, for that matter). A 5-slotter can take down (for example) a miasma in 5-6 hits, without suffering enough damage to warrant outside healing (if you give it HP regen), and mine even took out 2 Miasma WHILE FIGHTING AND KILLING A REPTALON, and barely got down to half HP, while I was dead and running outside the Labyrinth for a rez. It can take down a Crazed Mage from Shame in 30 minutes, without any healing. I've even used my 5-slot giant beetle on the Shadowguard Roof.
  6. And, of course, if you send a Tamer out on a 5-slot beetle, the beetle makes an INCREDIBLE pet for resource gathering, being able to haul 1600 stone of leather, bones, etc. back per trip.
So, yet another publish has given us a reason to divorce Resource Gathering from the Crafting skills for purposes other than recycling.

Last edited:

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hmm. So they're 3 slots when tamed but drop to 1 slot when beginning the training... if they're not trained, can a 1-slot be transferred back to a non-tamer?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hmm. So they're 3 slots when tamed but drop to 1 slot when beginning the training... if they're not trained, can a 1-slot be transferred back to a non-tamer?
No. As soon as they get "advanced" taming is required.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Actually, I just tried it. Yay for me.

I tamed a beetle. 3 slots. Started training. Now it's 1 slot.

Transfer to my human miner who has 0 taming except jack of all trades. Still 1 slot.

Then I did the same for my fire beetle. Now it's 1 slot.

My miner now has a fire beetle and a giant beetle and mounted on an ethy and still 2 slots to spare. :)

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
But, the newly tamed are automatically 1 slot right? So can always pass those to non-tamers?

And that is very interesting what you wrote Basara, about running around on a fully loaded Giant Beetle! Wow! And the strength in fighting you described is also very impressive?! Thanks for sharing!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Newly tamed, both Beetles were 3-slot, unless something was changed with the publish. The ones I had didn't drop to 1 slot until training started.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
Here's a few things to consider about the recent taming changes that allow pet training....

1. Beetles (Giant and Fire) drop to 1 slot when trained, and can be trained up all the way to 5 slots, if you want. However, at 5 slots they require 108 Taming.
  2. However, if you only go up to 75 Taming, you can have 2-slot Beetles, and have both a Giant Beetle AND a Fire Beetle with you at the same time. If you go to 95 taming, you can have one of them back up to 3 slots.
  3. Said beetles could easily be modified to maximum resists of 80 in 4 resists, 45 in the last, and have greatly enhanced combat skills (150 dex and stamina for more swings, improved DPS, and more HP & strength - not to mention HP regen). And that's easily done at just the 2-slot level.
  4. The Giant Beetle, if its strength is trained up, no longer has that annoying issue with "fatigue" once it hits a quarter load and is ridden (and, my 5-slot beetle can run around with a full 16000 ingots and me on board).
  5. The Giant Beetle improvement is just as useful for a lumberjack. In fact, if a Tamer is used as a lumberjack (say, by using soulstones to swap out a non-taming skill), a 5 slot beetle is a great pet for a Fel or Ter Mur/Eodon Lumberjack (or a dungeon miner, for that matter). A 5-slotter can take down (for example) a miasma in 5-6 hits, without suffering enough damage to warrant outside healing (if you give it HP regen), and mine even took out 2 Miasma WHILE FIGHTING AND KILLING A REPTALON, and barely got down to half HP, while I was dead and running outside the Labyrinth for a rez. It can take down a Crazed Mage from Shame in 30 minutes, without any healing. I've even used my 5-slot giant beetle on the Shadowguard Roof.
  6. And, of course, if you send a Tamer out on a 5-slot beetle, the beetle makes an INCREDIBLE pet for resource gathering, being able to haul 1600 stone of leather, bones, etc. back per trip.
So, yet another publish has given us a reason to divorce Resource Gathering from the Crafting skills for purposes other than recycling.
Might need to consider skilling up taming on my crafter/gatherer. I've been using a fire beetle with bags of sending to send my ingots back to the bank.

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Now if only Ore Elementals would take damage from the beetles you could Ore Ele hunt with them... especially Paragons... maybe someday?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Now if only Ore Elementals would take damage from the beetles you could Ore Ele hunt with them... especially Paragons... maybe someday?
Most of the ore elementals take damage from the Beetles. ONLY Shadow Iron and Valorite don't take damage from them.

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
oh ok cool.. did not know that... with my gatherers ive always used archery due to paragons... so Shadow and Valorite still need melee correct?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, those two still need melee. However, since you mentioned paragons, remember that the strip from around Sacrifice in Ilshenar, around past Spirituality past blood and the harpies, gives you a set of allies should you so choose. Because, while pets can't hurt it, free-ranging monsters CAN.

On the west end, you can get the elementals to follow you into Lakeshire/Mireg, and the Meer will fight it.
In the middle, you can utilize the pixies and unicorns in the woods.
And, in the east, there's the Oaks spawn.

In fact, the first confirmed Valorite Elemental paragon chest came about where the miner led the paragon into Oaks, and let ki-rins and unicorns do most of the work. The hard part for a blue miner is to have someone work up the spawn beforehand (and you can get to ki-rins just killing shadow wisps, but it takes a long time), but once done, there will be blue monsters there all day.