• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming mastery detail

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unless a Dev detailed it somewhere and I missed it... Has anyone figured out what berserk and empowerment do?

Far as I can tell its not really anything?

I have mad copy & paste skills:

Animal Taming
  • Whispering – The animal tamer attempts to guide their pet on the path of skill gain, increasing the pet’s skill gains based on the tamer’s animal taming skill, animal lore skill, and mastery level. This ability function similarly to a scroll of alacrity.
  • Combat Training – The animal tamer readies their pet for battle allowing the tamer to add combat abilities to their pet based on animal taming skill, animal lore skill, and mastery level.
    • Empowerment – When hit with physical damage the pet enters an empowerment phase where it begins to charge up its damage increase and spell damage increase for 5 seconds. . During this consume period any physical damage will be stored by the pet. After the empowerment period is over the pet enters the unleash phase for 10 seconds where it will apply the damage increase and spell damage increase bonuses based on stored damage.
    • Berserk – As your pet takes damage it gains rage which increase its physical damage and reduces all incoming damage for 8 seconds. While in rage your pet can not stealth and all healing effects are reduced. After the rage period there is a 60 second cooldown before your pet will gain rage again.
    • Consume Damage – When hit with physical damage the pet enters a consume phase where it begins to build up its hit chance and regeneration for 5 seconds. During this consume period any physical damage will be stored by the pet. After the consume period is over the pet enters the unleash phase for 10 seconds where it will apply the hit chance and regeneration bonuses based on stored damage.
  • Boarding – While the animal taming mastery is active the animal tamer receives additional stables slots
  • All tamers, regardless of mastery selection, receive two additional stable slots with the Time of Legends.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep, i tested the Taming Masteries quite a bit on TC, and the effect of "Empowerment" and "Berserk" were very difficult to discern. "Consume Damage" clearly made pets very tanky. With 120 Taming/120 Animal Lore and Lvl 3 Taming Primer, under "Consume Damage" my Greater Dragon fought against an Ancient Wyrm Paragon and 3 Wyverns simultaneously for 10 minutes, without needing any healing from me.
Masteries are based on REAL skill, and their power seems to scale very sharply. People were reporting a big performance difference between even just 115 Taming/Lore and 120 Taming/Lore with Taming Masteries. If you want to use the Taming Mastery, then it's really worth having 120 Taming/120 Animal Lore.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can you please add infos on how much mana the Mastery options cost per sec? I am a bit confused there.

So what to use when? CONSUME DAMAGE for bosses and BERSERK for everyday mob fighting?
With GM Med, 8 MR and 40% LMC, i'm able to maintain Combat Training indefinately so long as i don't cast anything else.
Berserk is pretty crappy, it lasts for only 8 seconds and has a 60 second cooldown, just like the nerfed Berserk feature of the Bestial Set. Empowerment and Consume Damage function similarly, making your pet extremely tanky. Empowerment uses the stored damage to increase the pet's DI and SDI, while Consume Damage uses the stored damage to increase the pet's HCI and Regens.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With GM Med, 8 MR and 40% LMC, i'm able to maintain Combat Training indefinately so long as i don't cast anything else.
Berserk is pretty crappy, it lasts for only 8 seconds and has a 60 second cooldown, just like the nerfed Berserk feature of the Bestial Set. Empowerment and Consume Damage function similarly, making your pet extremely tanky. Empowerment uses the stored damage to increase the pet's DI and SDI, while Consume Damage uses the stored damage to increase the pet's HCI and Regens.
Berserk is only a quick boost? Huh. I could've sworn it lasted as long as it was active. Generally I let my mana go back up to full before activating one of the Taming Masteries, since I may need to do some healing.

Good to know on Empowerment though, I was wondering what it did. Wasn't sure what kind of boost it was - I noticed more attacks when I used it, so I thought it was either HCI or SSI.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
champ spawns... not sure if it's all champ spawns or just fel ones but that's the only way
I got my Taming 3 from the Eodon Dragon Turtle. Ironically, someone had gave me a level 2 taming earlier during the spawn, when I mentioned I only had a level 1 at the time.

My experience is that the Eodon Spawn has a greater chance for a Level 3 than the other non-Fel spawns, but the Fel spawns are still best.

For clarification, none of the combat training abilities do anything if your pet isnt taking physical damage from an enemy? So it does little for tamers who arent solo?

Also, how does the "As one" shared damage work?

QwertyEuropa

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Does anyone have any information for pet HCI's outside of wrestling + tactics skill? I've always figured Consume was just out right better than because of it, possibly Empower on bosses with low parry/meele skill values but very low damage outputs... Anon in Shadowguard for example since pets does miss many swings vs them.