• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming Help

I have returned after many years and have a tamer. What I don't remember is having such a hard time. Looking for advice and even a few opinions. If I am trying to tame a Hiryu or a Cu (new to me) I get the "anger the beast" which I am familiar with, but I 1. always get bit and 2. die. A Cu for instance wrecks me the second I I try to tame. Pre-tamed I can get as they don't hit as hard. What are some tips to avoid this and at least having a chance as currently I have 0%.

Some things I believe to be a factor:
1. There is a technique I am unaware of to get bitten less
a. I've tried to observe and I see some doing invis, etc... but even observation is difficult due to lag. I cannot tell if they are x tiles away or standing/walking...
2. I am on satellite for about another week so the lag is unbelievable.
3. Stat scrolls are new to me so my 100 STR may simply mean one bite from a Cu hurts more (I am wearing an all 70's)

I can tame mares and other creatures. Its the hard hitting ones that get me and its not every once and awhile, but every single time.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I para-tame almost everything these days. Saves time and less running. I set a macro to tame last target so it goes faster. Can run through 15+ attempts before you have to invis in order to break the aggro.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
some things to try, beat the target down to almost dead, then tame. this slows them down till they heal back up.
honor your targets. build up honor, then target yourself with it. they won't attack you.
equip a mageweapon bow, but don't carry arrows. this gives you some defense meaning you won't get hit everytime.
be mounted on a horse, and stay 2 tiles infront of your target.
spellweaving also has etheral voyage, which does the same as honor.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Honor taming is great if there's a lot of agro around.

I highly recommend getting a horse and practice lead taming cu's. I thought I'd never be able to do it, but with practice I'm quite good now.

asmodi

Visitor
Does para taming not reduce their stats anymore?
I just came back to UO as well and have been spending a lot of time playing with the Cu's.
I lead tame them but I'm wearing a full 70's suit so I'm only getting hit for about 40. I can easily take a second hit if I don't get out of the way fast enough to heal.
I also carry a Staff of the Magi while taming so I duck a lot of their hits.

Asmodi M'hul
Baja/Siege

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Paralyze lowers their skill, so a pet that has lower than gm skill, no problem.

But say a cold drake, or frost dragon, no. Because that 116 tactics could now be 106.