• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming Gains

K

Kain Elderan

So I just came back to the game recently and need to work on my tamer. I'm currently at 87.9 taming without jewelry (110 with), 106.3 animal lore. I'm having a really hard time figuring out what exactly to tame. I had got a few gains on bulls but they are very very sporadic compared to what I remember. Is there any way to figure out whats best to tame, or is there a guide somewhere that is more updated? I've tried hell hounds some but seem to fail way too much to make it worth it.

I also just found out they changed bonding to where you have to have the real skill to bond to pets now, jewelry does not count towards it? Is this true?

I'm trying to work on maxing peacemaking too, to make things a little easier.

O

Old Man of UO

So I just came back to the game recently and need to work on my tamer. I'm currently at 87.9 taming without jewelry (110 with), 106.3 animal lore. I'm having a really hard time figuring out what exactly to tame. ...

I also just found out they changed bonding to where you have to have the real skill to bond to pets now, jewelry does not count towards it? Is this true?

I'm trying to work on maxing peacemaking too, to make things a little easier.
A few comments...

First, read the sticky guide in this forum on what to tame at your skill level for gains... it actually works. If you get bored, or gains are too slow, try adding just enough skill jewelry to get to the next level or harder pet to tame.
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=49619

Second, bonding isn't based on real skill. You can put jewelry on then feed your pet after seven days and it will bond and stay bonded even if you take your jewelry off. Now, if you command it without enough skill it will eventually (rather quickly) go wild.

Third, I never had much luck with peacemaking skill and taming, even though I had 115 peace skill. The peace skill is handy when things go bad taming pets like rune beetles, but you shouldn't learn to rely on it... just my thoughts. Others do well with it for taming.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I've read the support page again and I think it's just worded in a slightly misleading way. It's not saying you need the real skill, just that you need to be careful and ensure the jewellery is on when you feed the pet to get it to bond. Or if you go to the stables.

I can see why you misunderstood it, I feel for that myself lol.

Time to have another coffee methinks, roll on the weekend...

Wenchy

K

Kain Elderan

Yeah I just reread it too and see what you mean. Can anyone confirm or deny?

O

Old Man of UO

Yeah I just reread it too and see what you mean. Can anyone confirm or deny?
I already confirmed it for you. You just need enough skill to tame, any combination of jewelry and real skill, to bond. ;)

F

Frey Wavestrider

my wife has a new cu I tamed for her that should bond tonight I will see then. She needs jewels to get to the proper level on her tamer.

Z

Zodiac19

I'm not aware of real skill being necessary for pets to bond, unless I've missed it in a patch note somewhere. Unless it's a change we haven't noticed yet. Are there any jewellery users who can test it out and check, or who've bonded a pet recently?

Wenchy
I bonded two Hiryu's last week with Jewels. So, if there was a change it was with the last mini patch.

K

Kazumi the Wild

I've bonded a 1/2 dozen of pets on my 90-real-skill tamer-bard using jewels.