• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tames going wild

biobinary

Visitor
I'm newly returned after 17 years or so. All was going well until last night when my Cu went wild and I lost it while trying to kill fire ants for a quest. Since then, I had my second Cu do the same thing but I recovered it. I have been feeding them and I noticed while fighting some Boura one of my Cu kept looking confused. Animal lore said it was Wonderfully happy and I fed it as well. Is there a bug or something changed I don't know about?

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I guess you got 120/120 animal lore/taming? Power scrolls might not have been in the game 17 years ago, so you need to raise these skills to the new cap first in order to control the Cu.

biobinary

Visitor
I know Cu is 101.1 to tame but I should be high enough that it doesn't matter. I've got a piece of jewelry that bumps my taming up to 110.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Maybe you started pet training by pushing the blue button in the animal lore gump. If you level your pet a slot up, the requirements raise too.

biobinary

Visitor
Maybe you started pet training by pushing the blue button in the animal lore gump. If you level your pet a slot up, the requirements raise too.
I did actually. I trained the first level and was using it to farm Succubi for a week before this happened.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I know Cu is 101.1 to tame but I should be high enough that it doesn't matter. I've got a piece of jewelry that bumps my taming up to 110.
Even at 110 Taming & Lore you have 82% chance to control fully trained 3, 4 and 5 slot pets. I fear this is where it has gone wrong. A good few failed commands and it will leave you. Check the Lore gump, next to the control slot number there will be a new taming requirement most likely 108.

The 'Looks Confused' thing from Boura is normal, it is a special move they have, the name of the ability escapes me.

If you want to have the max control, which is 99% chance, you want to have a Lore & Taming totaling 230 points. That could be 120/110 or 115/115 or 110/120 Taming/Lore respectively.

biobinary

Visitor
Even at 110 Taming & Lore you have 82% chance to control fully trained 3, 4 and 5 slot pets. I fear this is where it has gone wrong. A good few failed commands and it will leave you. Check the Lore gump, next to the control slot number there will be a new taming requirement most likely 108.

The 'Looks Confused' thing from Boura is normal, it is a special move they have, the name of the ability escapes me.

If you want to have the max control, which is 99% chance, you want to have a Lore & Taming totaling 230 points. That could be 120/110 or 115/115 or 110/120 Taming/Lore respectively.
I did not notice that before. Indeed, it does say 108. A bit shocking that 1 round of training raises the taming requirement that much. I guess I'm toast then. Can't do champ spawns solo. Hardly anyone on Sonoma and I haven't seen a vendor with power scrolls yet. Not that I could afford taming with 3 mill to my name I guess. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I did not notice that before. Indeed, it does say 108. A bit shocking that 1 round of training raises the taming requirement that much. I guess I'm toast then. Can't do champ spawns solo. Hardly anyone on Sonoma and I haven't seen a vendor with power scrolls yet. Not that I could afford taming with 3 mill to my name I guess. Thanks for clearing this up for me.
You will still be fine, 82% chance to control is still high even though there will be some refused commands. You just need to learn when your pet is refusing orders, most pets make a specific action or sound, and just keep an eye on its loyalty a bit more often. Make it part of your routine, lore your pet every 5-10 kills or something like that. And of course avoid spamming commands especially if it refuses an order, feed it and retry.

I'm sure there will be someone on here that plays Sonoma that could help you out with a scroll or 2.

biobinary

Visitor
You will still be fine, 82% chance to control is still high even though there will be some refused commands. You just need to learn when your pet is refusing orders, most pets make a specific action or sound, and just keep an eye on its loyalty a bit more often. Make it part of your routine, lore your pet every 5-10 kills or something like that. And of course avoid spamming commands especially if it refuses an order, feed it and retry.

I'm sure there will be someone on here that plays Sonoma that could help you out with a scroll or 2.
I see. I will just have to fill up the pack with apples then and not train it to 5 slot.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I see. I will just have to fill up the pack with apples then and not train it to 5 slot.
Training it to 5 slots will not increase it's taming requirement further. It will stay at 108. There are active groups on Sonoma, if you ask around you should be able to find some.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Slot count does not necessarily reflect control chance. Adding stats, abilities, resists, scrolls etc increase the control requirement as they are added. So even after raising a pet 1 slot regardless of starting slots, after spending points the control chance will jump significantly.

As an example, this is just a a 3 slot rat but still has a requirement of 108 because of the stats/skills/resists etc.

Raticus Maximus.jpg

biobinary

Visitor
Slot count does not necessarily reflect control chance. Adding stats, abilities, resists, scrolls etc increase the control requirement as they are added. So even after raising a pet 1 slot regardless of starting slots, after spending points the control chance will jump significantly.

As an example, this is just a a 3 slot rat but still has a requirement of 108 because of the stats/skills/resists etc.

View attachment 103804
So training it from 4 slot to 5 slot could raise it past 108 if in doing so, I increase the stats more? That final 1500 training points has to go somewhere and if increasing things on the pet is what makes the taming requirement go up, it would make sense if it did go higher than 108. None of the guides and what not that I've seen appear to make any of this clear.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Khaelor answered your question.

In case you have a subscription, you can always copy your tamer to test center and try it out there first.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So training it from 4 slot to 5 slot could raise it past 108 if in doing so, I increase the stats more? That final 1500 training points has to go somewhere and if increasing things on the pet is what makes the taming requirement go up, it would make sense if it did go higher than 108. None of the guides and what not that I've seen appear to make any of this clear.
To be clear 108 is the maximum, it will not go past that. If your pet is currently 4 slot and showing 108, you might as well just go to 5 and spend the extra points it will not be any more difficult to control as @Khaelor said.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya they hid it on the Lore screen. If you look at those more often your pets will not go wild.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since nothing has ever been over 108 I do not consider that Hidden. Not having real 120 Taming and Lore is playing with fire. You will get burned eventually. The taming mastery is very useful at 120 on both.​

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Since nothing has ever been over 108 I do not consider that Hidden. Not having real 120 Taming and Lore is playing with fire. You will get burned eventually. The taming mastery is very useful at 120 on both.​
To be fair, the 108 figure doesn't tell you anything more than the minimum amount to tame. A new player would assume that with 110 Taming they could freely use the pet which as experienced people know is not the case.
The control chance, which we can only assume was the reason for his pet going wild, IS actually hidden from you unless you know the math involved and work it out*. For someone just returning after 17 years I would say that it is definitely not an obvious factor.

*A new player looking at the pet control calculation on the uo wiki would probably see their head explode! :D

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also tell then to stop giving commands every 5 sec. 20 years and ZERO pets gone wild, know your pet.

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Ya they hid it on the Lore screen. If you look at those more often your pets will not go wild.
In a thread labeled "Pets Unbonding & Skill Loss" on the UO forums, you mention that you've lost two pets to going wild. Why is it that when it happens to you, it's a bug - but when it happens to the OP it's because they're not paying attention?

Pawain: Page 3 - "I have lost a Windrunner and Skree while playing. The Skree was wonderfully happy 10 min before it went poof. I posted bug reports for each."

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've lost 2 so far...

First was a lesser hiryu... lovely midnight blue creature... was on the second round of training killing the crazed mage everything was fine and going as normal... I was not giving it too many commands or really doing much other than healing it while it was attacking the mage... when suddenly it just went gray.... at first I thought... how odd did I accidently attack it with my archer? Did I accidently tell it to attack the archer? NO... then I realized it was no longer under my control... but I couldn't get the mage off it and couldn't stop the mage from attacking it in time before I could bring someone down to area peace and try to lure the mage away he died... all I could do was watch. That was painful enough... and @Bleak came and looked around where I had been standing fighting the thing... looked at the area pretty closely... nothing...

Second pet I had go wild was a very nice pink hiryu fully scrolled and fully trained... went to go to a player-run PEC event... I went to the stable took out my pet fed him as always checked totally happy... recalled to the "battle" and gave 1 command... all kill and POOF he went wild .... now explain that one... I can't. And there were probably 30 people there with about 4 or 5 EVs and 2 RCs so as you can imagine no one could do much but watch it die in about 5 seconds... I cried and left logged out and couldn't log back in for 2 days... the pet was a gift from an old friend... it still hurts. I spent the next 3 months killing hiryu to get another pink one but he pales in comparison to the previous one... and I won't take it out of the stable. At least not until this issue is RESOLVED once and for all.

I know for a fact that it wasn't anything I did... I've NEVER had a pet go wild randomly ... I always feed and watch my pets. I gave ONE command.. after feeding..... ONE... and it went wild instantly... so yeah it can happen to ANYONE at any time... when it happens to one of you naysayers I'll be the first to say I told you so...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In a thread labeled "Pets Unbonding & Skill Loss" on the UO forums, you mention that you've lost two pets to going wild. Why is it that when it happens to you, it's a bug - but when it happens to the OP it's because they're not paying attention?

Pawain: Page 3 - "I have lost a Windrunner and Skree while playing. The Skree was wonderfully happy 10 min before it went poof. I posted bug reports for each."
I lost a windrunner when it died. I lost a Skree at Sea. I lored the Skree but it may have fallen off the ship.

You will also notice I say that pets should not go wild. Until that happens you should have 120 taming and lore to avoid losing pets.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
If scrolling through the lore screen is too much work (no sarcasm) you can try the EC with Pinco's excellent custom lore gump. Tbh the requirement may as well be hidden if you're loring anything not parked at the bank, lmao.

I'm jk, but we all know our beloved UO is a mysterious beast (and you cant lore that) ... hidden game mechanics everywhere, and little worthwhile documentation that doesn't come from players sharing here on stratics.

Obv getting your taming up is a good idea, 115's arent too hard to come by. 120 is best because of masteries, but 110 tame 120 lore would be a good, cheaper alternative. (Btw @Akiho thanks for that info on the 230, I wasn't aware of that!)

The cu's make a bark+growl on a happy command, but if you hear a pissed off yappy bark that's a refused command. I do not have patience for grinding taming so my tamer is 108 with both jewels and a talli. Havent lost any pets though.

As far as I'm aware, and what I do currently on a refused command, is spam a cpl more in hope that they obey, which brings their loyalty back up. Of course if they refuse a command twice I run my a$$ up and feed them asap, lol

@Khaelor hey man maybe sound bites from the data files for the pets obey/refuse commands might be a worthwhile addition to you and your guilds already very impressive tameables beastiary?

Sounds like a lot of work but I know one of you guys loves digging through data files. Your site is my first stop the second i catch the faintest whiff of a mandatory patch, haha!!

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I lost a windrunner when it died. I lost a Skree at Sea. I lored the Skree but it may have fallen off the ship.

You will also notice I say that pets should not go wild. Until that happens you should have 120 taming and lore to avoid losing pets.
The tamer I had who lost both those pets... was 120 all taming, Lore and Vet...