• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Tamer Treasure Hunter newbie question

I

ironpino

Hia, after a long break from UO I have returned. I have never had a treasure hunter, but I kinda like it to have one now these days. I'm a solo player so I want a template that can solo the most treasure hunting levels.
I have a tamer that I will use for this template. My thougts where to go for;
110 Animal Taming
110 Animal Lore
100 Veterinary
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
100 Magery
100 Meditation
66 Mining (+5 gloves + 10 pickaxe)
My cap is 720, so I need to get some items with +skill on it...

Is this a smart template or are there better options?
Whats better to pick, meditation or switch to focus?

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could swap cartho/mining/lp with soulstones to free skillpoints. (Decode your map and soulstone off cartho for mining. Once you have found your spot, mark a rune and soulstone off for lockpick.)

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could swap cartho/mining/lp with soulstones to free skillpoints. (Decode your map and soulstone off cartho for mining. Once you have found your spot, mark a rune and soulstone off for lockpick.)
Just curious, do you mean dig it enough so that the ground is disturbed and mark a rune at that spot or dig up the chest then go back and pick after killing off the initial spawn? I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as you can deal with the intitial spawn

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
right either way. i put on mining (100 skill) and dig it up, kill spawn, head home and switch out mining for lockpicking (drop off loot from spawn) and go back and finish it out.

cart is just used once per week or so to decode all the maps and then stone that back off too.

use a 70 fire resist suit and you never die.
the new level 7 tmaps have a higher level monster that can sometimes be alittle harder. like the frost dragon. you are timed on the chest or it will disappear if you take too long. so for frost dragons I put on spellweaving for word of death. otherwise he flys around redlined and my dragon cannot ever seem to finish him off.

lorddog

I

ironpino

aye so I don't need carto to dig the treasure up? I thought so.
So then it gives me another option to have carto on my crafter char and use that to decode the maps.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need carto to decode a map. The one that digs for the chest needs to be the char that decoded the map. Though he doesnt need to have carto at the moment of digging if he decoded that map earlier himselfs.