• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tamer Templates

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd like to try the template above with a rune beetle trained in Discord + RC.
Wouldn't be as effective. The Rune Beetle wouldn't have as high of RC uptime due to using Bleed Attack as well (same problem Cu has, one of the reasons Triton is better). Plus it wouldn't be as tanky, Rune Beetles don't have Healing like Tritons or Cus do.
RC and CB do stack though, so if a Triton hits a 80 Energy Resist boss with CB, it'll drop to 40 Energy Resist, and if a Beetle then hits the boss with RC as well, it'll drop even further to 20 Energy Resist.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My main build is magery/spellweave. I have two variations. One with vet and one without. I run the second build if I'm hunting solo and don't have anyone else around with vet skill. Both are dependent on fairly easy gear to get.

Main build (suit with high 151 sdi without buffs):
120 taming
120 animal lore
120 meditation
120 spellweaving
110 eval int (120 with wizard's curio talisman)
100 magery (120 with crystalline ring)
30 focus (50 with crystalline ring)

Secondary build suit with high sdi 153 without buffs):
120 taming
120 animal lore
120 spellweaving
110 meditation (120 with spell woven britches)
40 veterinary (80 with +20 vet ring/bracelet)

The second build I carry a ring and bracelet that I only swap on my char to rez my pet on the battlefield. I don't actively use vet for healing during fights. If you don't have spell woven britches you can run 110 med still and do fine.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My main build is magery/spellweave. I have two variations. One with vet and one without. I run the second build if I'm hunting solo and don't have anyone else around with vet skill. Both are dependent on fairly easy gear to get.

Main build (suit with high 151 sdi without buffs):
120 taming
120 animal lore
120 meditation
120 spellweaving
30 focus (50 with crystalline ring)

Secondary build suit with high sdi 153 without buffs):
120 taming
120 animal lore
120 spellweaving
110 meditation (120 with spell woven britches)
40 veterinary (80 with +20 vet ring/bracelet)

The second build I carry a ring and bracelet that I only swap on my char to rez my pet on the battlefield. I don't actively use vet for healing during fights. If you don't have spell woven britches you can run 110 med still and do fine.
I run almost same builds too, lots of ways to keep you and your pet alive. Dps is great with high sdi. Low SDI works too just takes longer. Archer tamer also great on certain encounters.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I'd like to try the template above with a rune beetle trained in Discord + RC.
did you ever build a rune beetle. I’ve got a good 3 slot one, but not sure if I should build it.

It came near max poisoning, but I don’t know if overcap poisoning skill even matters on pets.

Leaning toward making it a disco RC 5 slot to support other tamers. I bet the normal crew at Navrey would love to see a disco/RC pet hang around

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I the thread, I see tamers use SW without focus or not much focus skill at all. That would allow some buff SW spells, but would take SW damage way down even with Circle? Or it works well anyway? Would WOD work ok with no focus or Imbuing skill (both boost SW spells, and act like eval for magery)?

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I the thread, I see tamers use SW without focus or not much focus skill at all. That would allow some buff SW spells, but would take SW damage way down even with Circle? Or it works well anyway? Would WOD work ok with no focus or Imbuing skill (both boost SW spells, and act like eval for magery)?
You are confusing Mysticism and Spellweaving. Spellweaving is stand alone skill buffed by Arcane Focus spell. Mysticism is buffed by Focus/Imbuing skills.

Quickjohn

Adventurer
I am going to add a link to this thread from the A-Z sticky. If people could post some taming templates they have found successful with a brief description it would be appreciated.

120 Animal Lore
120 Animal Taming
120 Discordance
100 Magery (70 real)
50 Meditation
120 Musicianship
120 Provoking
100 Veterinary on Soulstone
  • This template I use mostly as a second to my treasure hunter. Provoke and discord allow this tamer to control treasure chest spawn with relative ease. I also have 100 Veterinary on Soul Stone in case I decide to use this character on significantly harder monsters.
110 Animal Lore (105 real)
120 Animal Taming (105 real)
100 Evaluating Intelligence
100 Magery (70 real)
100 Meditation
60 Necromancy
100 Spirit Speak
100 Veterinary (80 real)
  • My first tamer build, I use evil omen in necromancy to boost damage on bosses/event monsters. Spirit speak is a nice heal when I get poisoned/mortal strike. And eval gives my magery some oomph.
85 Anatomy
120 Animal Lore (105 real)
120 Animal Taming (105 real)
120 Archery (115 real)
120 Chivalry
100 Spellweaving
105 Tactics (90 real)
  • My event character, Enemy of One, Armor Ignore, Pet damage and debuffs plus Word of Death means a lot of damage on a event boss.
#3 is interesting

Fantexi

Visitor
I'm a new one in UO and my template is
110 Animal Lore
110 Animal Taming
100 Archery
100 Anatomy/Resisting Spells/Tactics by Soulstone
100 Magery
100 Musicianship
100 Provocation

I have a dog with lighting discordance so I no need discordance.Don't know my template is good or not but I play in game happily :)

warra

Visitor
Untitled.png
Having hiding there when im in a spot and need to mount pet and go afk for a bit and not have to worry about being killed. saved me heaps of times too when id go magery invis get revealed then hit hiding and let the pet do its thing.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pally Fisher tamer
120 taming
120 lore
120 vet
120 fishing
120 chivalry
120 resisting spells

Ninja tamer (my suit makes it so i only need 50 stealth for 120)
120 taming
120 lore
120 vet
120 ninja
120 resisting spells
50 stealth
70 chivalry

Sam Adams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Pally Fisher tamer
120 taming
120 lore
120 vet
120 fishing
120 chivalry
120 resisting spells

Ninja tamer (my suit makes it so i only need 50 stealth for 120)
120 taming
120 lore
120 vet
120 ninja
120 resisting spells
50 stealth
70 chivalry
No hiding with stealth or is that a smoke bomb thing?

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Pally Fisher tamer
120 taming
120 lore
120 vet
120 fishing
120 chivalry
120 resisting spells
What is Chivalry for ? Holy Light only ? No weapon skills , no Magery . Looks like you are storing this Chivalry on a toon.
I am just curious how this work ?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What is Chivalry for ? Holy Light only ? No weapon skills , no Magery . Looks like you are storing this Chivalry on a toon.
I am just curious how this work ?
As Fisherman i need very little my pet kills sea serpents etc i need cure remove curse travel

gwen

Slightly Crazed
As Fisherman i need very little my pet kills sea serpents etc i need cure remove curse travel
For serpents and krakens 2*lowland bouta +Chiv healing is enough. 50+ taming/lore nd you have 2* High plains bouras. Even tougher. Or 100 tinkering and automaton (looks impressive) . I thought this template is for dungeon fishing , where nasty things are roaming.
Or you just drop your tamer -Archer archery to go fishing ?

If you heal , detox and remove curse by Chivalry , you better switch to mystic. Cleansing Wind does all in one spell.
Also can use mastery for weapon skill replacement . And stone form for you to raise resists.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
For serpents and krakens 2*lowland bouta +Chiv healing is enough. 50+ taming/lore nd you have 2* High plains bouras. Even tougher. Or 100 tinkering and automaton (looks impressive) . I thought this template is for dungeon fishing , where nasty things are roaming.
Or you just drop your tamer -Archer archery to go fishing ?

If you heal , detox and remove curse by Chivalry , you better switch to mystic. Cleansing Wind does all in one spell.
Also can use mastery for weapon skill replacement . And stone form for you to raise resists.
80% of my templates make no sense or could be more effective but i build them for fun or in my fishman case Garr Grimbeard was born for a RP thing i did for my guild him Count Chocula Vanessa Chocula was good times

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm a new one in UO and my template is
110 Animal Lore
110 Animal Taming
100 Archery
100 Anatomy/Resisting Spells/Tactics by Soulstone
100 Magery
100 Musicianship
100 Provocation

I have a dog with lighting discordance so I no need discordance.Don't know my template is good or not but I play in game happily :)
I want to try tame/mage/archer, mage for invis and some trick. But damage with archer. Someone can restyle this template?

Inviato dal mio SM-A505FN utilizzando Tapatalk

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I want to try tame/mage/archer, mage for invis and some trick. But damage with archer. Someone can restyle this template?

For archer damage you need archery and tactics. And anatomy too. For stuff you have no slayer you also need Chiv (EOO) and Bushido (min 50 for perfection or more for Yumi double shot)
Magery for invis is 93 for 100% chance to cast. And you will need to sacrifice one imbue slot on your bow for spell channel.
And may be LRC on your suit.
May be have balanced bow and use invis potions to free 93 skill points?
Or be thrower to drink potions and fly with mounted speed to run from foes?
Or don't have archery and tactics, go eval and Spell weaving, just put: HLA, HLD, velocity mage weapon, spell channel on a bow, to help your pet fight tough mobs and survive? Bow damage will be very low but your pet will hit more often and receive way less damage.

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I want to help my pet. My first profession are tamer. Better damage with spellw? With archer damage are low?

Invis for me because I want to stay on defence, my pet is the attack.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Tamer/pirate/Fisherman
120 taming
120 lore
120 vet
120 magery
120 resisting spells
120 fishing

I have done all the recent dungeons not the fastest most effective but fun

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Recently revamped one of my tamers into a Stealth Tamer:

120 Animal Taming
120 Animal Lore
90 Veterinary
90 Magery (120 with items)
90 Evaluate Intelligence (100 with items)
50 Meditation (70 with items)
100 Hiding
40 Stealth (120 with items on a second suit I switch to)

It's been a fun one to play, easy to escape a tough spot. Very new so still working on it a bit, but don't anticipate much any further skill changes.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

120 Animal Taming
120 Animal Lore
90 Veterinary
90 Magery (120 with items)
90 Evaluate Intelligence (100 with items)
50 Meditation (70 with items)
100 Hiding
40 Stealth (120 with items on a second suit I switch to)

It's been a fun one to play, easy to escape a tough spot. Very new so still working on it a bit, but don't anticipate much any further skill changes.
What content do you use this for that would be superior to a Disco Tamer or a Spellweaving Tamer? I considered this sort of template, but never found an ideal use that exceeded the other two I mentioned.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What content do you use this for that would be superior to a Disco Tamer or a Spellweaving Tamer? I considered this sort of template, but never found an ideal use that exceeded the other two I mentioned.
I used to run a similar build when doing Champ spawns. But I found it takes too long and now I just stick with either my necro tamer or mage/spellweave tamer. If you play a tamer on Siege then a stealth tamer is a great build :)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Can someone give me an advice?

The best advice I can give you is when you are seeking advice you should mention what subject you are seeking advice about... that way people will know in what area to advise you.

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Avevo scritto nei post precedenti

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
At the end of the day, nothing is going to top a Mage Tamer with Spellweaving. If you have the right pet for the right situation, a stack of Slayer books and a 50 SDI book for Word of Death... good chance that's going to get you the best bang for you buck. So to answer your question, the build I posted likely wouldn't top that.

My purpose was to try something a little different. I didn't have fun with my Necro tamer. I already have a couple of bards. This was my way of adding more of a unique build to the repertoire that can serve something of a different function. I have found it useful in situations like Citadel/Travesty, where moving with Stealth is helpful to avoid Ninjas to get to the different key rooms, or being able to get away from the middle of a spawn or higher end mobs. I am still working on best practices for the build, but wanted to post it up because it was something I was having a little more fun with than some of the more vanilla builds that are out there.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I can't help but thing of Red Riding Hood from the old UWF days any time I hear Stealth Tamer. Seemed to work great for her/him (whoever was behind the keys :D)

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I can't help but thing of Red Riding Hood from the old UWF days any time I hear Stealth Tamer. Seemed to work great for her/him (whoever was behind the keys :D)
Yeah Red Riding Hood has one... but the best Stealth Tamer was Makeila from UWF @MakeilaUO . She had the best dragon rating anyone ever saw (4.9) with Athena. She mastered the build and was actually my inspiration behind creating this character. I have been trying to lure her back to UO, but she is an ESO gal now.

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have a tamer mage. Invis is important for me but i want to try archer with mage. I want to help my pet. My first profession are tamer. Better damage with spellw? With archer damage are low?

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I did a build like this on atl, its gear intensive. With the right slayer weapons, i could hit for 175 AI on, but most skills were on gear.
Hunters headdress, disp quiver, library talis for taming. Jewels with archery,magery, taming and lore.

You need 60 tactics, around 80 chiv.
115 archery, 115 taming, 115 lore, 92ish magery for invis 100%.(577) then you want a way to heal pet and your self. If your casting, your not attacking right? So vet, and healing, at 90.
So now your sitting at 757 for bare bones use. Higher if you want more damage output.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I have a tamer mage. Invis is important for me but i want to try archer with mage. I want to help my pet. My first profession are tamer. Better damage with spellw? With archer damage are low?

I have both a Mage/SW/Tamer (MST) and an Archer/Chiv/Tamer (ACT). I played the MST WAY more than I did the ACT. Much more damage and easier game play with the MST. Never really liked Mage on the Archer as then sc weps come into play and it limits the damage the archer is doing because the temp is SO tight ya can't really have Mage and Chiv on it. I just carry invis pots and invis boots etc on him for the times a large mob aggros him.

Both are temps that you really have to be in the 850ish range skills to play effectively when it comes to the higher end mobs. Both are also arti-hoe's when it comes to gearing them up, but the MST is the one that can be done and still pretty effective even on a limited budget when it comes to gear.

At one point I was trying to make a Sampire/Tamer hybrid out of the ACT but quit playing a lot so that went to the back burner until I get back in game with a lot of time to kill.

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Grazie.
Quali sono esattamente i punti skill assegnati al personaggio?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
L'arciere. Il mago ce l'ho l. Grazie

l'importante è ricordare che stiamo aiutando il nostro animale domestico a non essere il principale causa di danni

120 taming
120 lore
80 vet
80 archery
80 anatomy
80 healing
80 chivalry

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Animal Lore​
115​
120​
Animal Taming​
115​
120​
Veterinary​
100​
120​
Discordance​
100​
120​
Musicianship​
100​
120​
Peacemaking​
100​
120​
Magery​
90​
105​
720​
825​

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
l'importante è ricordare che stiamo aiutando il nostro animale domestico a non essere il principale causa di danni

120 taming
120 lore
80 vet
80 archery
80 anatomy
80 healing
80 chivalry
L'abilità healing non mi ispira. Se mettessi magery invece di healing?

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Se avessi intenzione di fare un per tank e io che aiuto a fare danno che skills ci vuole? Provo/mage?

Nereus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@vegasy

Long ago I would make what could be considered a 'general purpose tamer', when nothing specific was in mind for the character to do, but still wanted to participate in wide array of content.

Maybe close to what you're looking for:
Weapon
Tactics
Magery
Animal Taming
Animal Lore
Veterinary

Can add leftover points into Chivalry if not going 6x120 skills.
Chivalry mostly limited to Remove Curse and Enemy of One.

Can do the the 'hide>all kill' strategy, and has option of adding damage by weapon or magery.
Rotate between taming/magery/weapon skill masteries where needed.
The template allows effective participation in most game content, but excels at nothing.

Last edited:

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@vegasy

Long ago I would make what could be considered a 'general purpose tamer', when nothing specific was in mind for the character to do, but still wanted to participate in wide array of content.

Maybe close to what you're looking for:
Weapon
Tactics
Magery
Animal Taming
Animal Lore
Veterinary

Can add leftover points into Chivalry if not going 6x120 skills.
Chivalry mostly limited to Remove Curse and Enemy of One.

Can do the the 'hide>all kill' strategy, and has option of adding damage by weapon or magery.
Rotate between taming/magery/weapon skill masteries where needed.
The template allows effective participation in most game content, but excels at nothing.
Grazie mille

wishdragon

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Rezing an old thread...

Looking at the warrior-Tamer templates without vet, what are folks doing when pets die, having to go back to a stable or your house any time you need to rez would get old?

Last edited:

Nereus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looking at the warrior-Tamer templates without vet, what are folks doing when pets die, having to go back to a stable or your house any time you need to rez would get old?
The solutions I see most frequently played (no particular order):
  • Tamer with vet from second account in tow for when things go sideways
  • Template optimized for group hunt with another member designated as party vet
  • Reduce base vet skill to 60-80 range and use jewelery when needed
  • Replace vet with spellweaving for Gift of Life
Method used dependant on character templates and playstyle.

Last edited:

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Rezing an old thread...

If you are playing on Atl you teleport to Luna and somebody will res your pet pretty fast.
Other shards differ. You need 80 vet to res a pet. If you are not in hurry, 2*20Vet vewels and 40real skill are enough. You can find 10 or so Vet fishing pole if lucky. Which makes +/- 30 vet feasible to res pet occasionally.
Also you can have insurable pet res thingy made of Medusa blood. No skill needed.
Try to have pet that is not easy to kill. Triton with real Ninjitsu is pretty good at this.

Last edited:

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My four primary tamer templates.

Disco or Necro Mage Tamer (130 SDI with 28% slayer spellbook; skills from Crystalline Ring, 15/15 magery/meditation imbued bracelet, Mage/Eval Mark of Travesty, Wizard's Curio, spell woven britches)
Taming: 120
Lore: 120
Music or Necro: 120
Disco or SS: 120
Eval: 120
Magery: 110
Meditation: 100

High SDI Taming SW Mage (4/6 and 175 SDI with 49% Spellbook)
Magery: 120
Eval: 120
Meditation: 120
Spellweaving: 120
Animal Taming: 120
Animal Lore: 120

Pure Bard Tamer (skills from +13 taming, +13 lore, and +14 magery from each jewelry piece, taming/lore Mark of Travesty, Library Talisman, Balakai’s Staff, spellwoven britches)
Animal Taming: 115
Lore: 111
Bard: 480
Magery: 93 (65 real)
Meditation: 40 (enough to MR to keep both provo spells running indefinitely)

Balanced Tamer (same setup as above except I use Kotl’s Black Staff for +2 FC)
Animal Taming: 115
Lore: 111
Music: 120
Disco: 120
Peace or Provo: 120
Magery: 120 (95 real)
Meditation: 120