• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tamer advice from our shard plz

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never played a tamer before and was graciously given a very good GD. I have been training him up and learning the ropes. I soloed Navery last night and came to the conclusion that I may need to add Disco. Then I realized I will also need Music. My question is how do you put Disco and Music on a tamer template? And at what level? Currently I have:

120 Taming (30 Jewels)
120 Vet (30 Jewels)
112 lore
100 Eval
100 med
100 magery

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I never played a tamer before and was graciously given a very good GD. I have been training him up and learning the ropes. I soloed Navery last night and came to the conclusion that I may need to add Disco. Then I realized I will also need Music. My question is how do you put Disco and Music on a tamer template? And at what level? Currently I have:

120 Taming (30 Jewels)
120 Vet (30 Jewels)
112 lore
100 Eval
100 med
100 magery
You want a wild template: How's this....

with equipment, my character has an all 70s/75 suit (and still is only 69/70/70/70/75 with protection cast), 100% LRC but currently he's near-minimal luck (I want to finish training him up before I try messing with the suit).
Elf race (for one piece of equipment)

Stats (max scrolled): Without equipment bonuses
STR 100 (for carrying loot home and decent HP; 95 if all you've got is the 230 base from 225 + the "6 month"/AoS bonus)
Dex 30 (you need more than 10, or sufficient stamina regen to compensate for running - if scrolled over 235 cap, put everything past the 100 STR & 125 INT into this)
INT 125 (for max mana and mana regen)

With Equipment:
120 Music (110 + Song-woven mantle)
120 Provo (106 + 14 that was originally on one jewelry piece before imbuing)
120 Disco (or will be, after I'm done currently at 90 real, +13 from jewelry)
120 Veterinary (all real, for the legendary title)
120 Animal Lore (102 real; +13 from one jewelry piece, +5 from birds of Britannia tali)
120 Taming (102 real; +13 from same jewelry piece as Lore, +5 from BoB tali)
115 Magery (70 real, eventually. +30 from jewelry (actually is currently a little less), +15 from Tome of Lost Knowledge - currently, is much higher, and that's where all the points being moved into Disco are coming from)

Yes, this IS a 835 skill point template. And, he's what I've been turkey hunting with, as a bard. And I might be able to squeeze him up to 7x120, if I play with the jewelry properties a little bit

While I'm using a general purpose jewelry piece with Peace, Provo, Disco and Magery on it (I swap out peace and Disco as needed for my purposes, and both are still in the process of training), eventually, I'll just have near-identical pieces with Magery, Provo, and EITHER Peace or Disco, along with one other property, that will be kept with (and swapped) with the soulstoned skills. The Tome works better than the conjurer's Grimoire, simply because you don't have to worry about repond attackers doing double to you.

Eval isn't really needed for a Tamer/Bard. You can use summons as temporary pets (no eval needed for any of them), and the Heal & Cure spell families are based on your magery alone (similarly, Eval has no part in marking, recalling or gating). If you have to finish up something with offensive spells, then you have Mind Blast (which is based on Intelligence, IIRC, not Eval). AS a result, you have no need for any SDI on your suit, as nothing actually uses it. In some ways, the ToLK is a waste, as you can't use its DI, so a really nice crafted spellbook with near-max Magery, LMC and a non-SDI property (LRC, FC or FCR) might work better, but getting one that fits might take a while.

With a high enough INT, the +20 mana for being an elf, and LMC from the suit and spellbook (where you can get it), med isn't much an issue, either. Just get some Mana regen on a few suit parts, and make sure the suit is medable (as you can still manage to actively med, sometimes, even at 0 skill - and INT is 1/4 the equation for stat/skill based mana recovery).

N

Noie

My disco tamer is:

120 Animal Taming
120 Animal Lore
120 Veterinary
120 Musicianship
120 Discordance
120 Magery

Has worked fantastically for me. :)

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok so now i need advice on the best way to train disco and music. I am in the 30's for both.

N

Noie

It's been awhile, but I seem to remember that the first step was banging your head against the wall. It dulls the pain. ;)

I wasn't overly ambitious...so I leveled by playing. Do you already have a tamer you're converting? Jewel up so you're high enough to have a chance to succeed...then just kill everything in sight. (If you need jewels, I might still have some around somewhere.) The new invasion might be a good place for it. :)

Garion_UMP

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best way to train discord is to have a guildmate tame a series of high end pets that you can sit and discord. For example, mares or Cu's. I used to get about 10 Cu's and would discord them all, invis, and repeat. Also, you want to lower music while you are training discord. It is harder to gain with high music and you can always raise music again pretty quick.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Do, remember, though, that they have ruled that you can't confine the animals, if released, when used for training. Confine pretty much means anything that keeps them from leaving, or attacking you.

as such, you can't use animal pens in your house, or those elsewhere that can be secured by a gate. You could, however, use the one field on the coast of Moonglow due east of the Cemetary, as it has that open slot at the top, so that eventually a creature could find it and wander out (at which time you could just have someone retame it or herd it back in). Similarly, Grandpa Charley's broken enclosure in Ilshenar between Spirit and Sac would also be legal, since it has breaks in it that could allow the targets to wander out on their own.

Frankly, Herding is the ultimate disco training assist skill, as you can use it to park a group of targets together, without having to risk GM action from any form of confinement. But, how many people have GM herders????

S

Smurcoch

My tamer is:

120 taming, Lore, Vet, Magery, Music, Disco (With Provo on a soulstone).

I actually made my tamer a gargoyle, so I could fly with my Greater Dragon.

Also, Doing dreadhorn on my tamer is a breeze, as the sand doesn't slow down the flying.

S

Smurcoch

You want a wild template: How's this....

with equipment, my character has an all 70s/75 suit (and still is only 69/70/70/70/75 with protection cast), 100% LRC but currently he's near-minimal luck (I want to finish training him up before I try messing with the suit).
Elf race (for one piece of equipment)

Stats (max scrolled): Without equipment bonuses
STR 100 (for carrying loot home and decent HP; 95 if all you've got is the 230 base from 225 + the "6 month"/AoS bonus)
Dex 30 (you need more than 10, or sufficient stamina regen to compensate for running - if scrolled over 235 cap, put everything past the 100 STR & 125 INT into this)
INT 125 (for max mana and mana regen)

With Equipment:
120 Music (110 + Song-woven mantle)
120 Provo (106 + 14 that was originally on one jewelry piece before imbuing)
120 Disco (or will be, after I'm done currently at 90 real, +13 from jewelry)
120 Veterinary (all real, for the legendary title)
120 Animal Lore (102 real; +13 from one jewelry piece, +5 from birds of Britannia tali)
120 Taming (102 real; +13 from same jewelry piece as Lore, +5 from BoB tali)
115 Magery (70 real, eventually. +30 from jewelry (actually is currently a little less), +15 from Tome of Lost Knowledge - currently, is much higher, and that's where all the points being moved into Disco are coming from)

Yes, this IS a 835 skill point template. And, he's what I've been turkey hunting with, as a bard. And I might be able to squeeze him up to 7x120, if I play with the jewelry properties a little bit

While I'm using a general purpose jewelry piece with Peace, Provo, Disco and Magery on it (I swap out peace and Disco as needed for my purposes, and both are still in the process of training), eventually, I'll just have near-identical pieces with Magery, Provo, and EITHER Peace or Disco, along with one other property, that will be kept with (and swapped) with the soulstoned skills. The Tome works better than the conjurer's Grimoire, simply because you don't have to worry about repond attackers doing double to you.

Eval isn't really needed for a Tamer/Bard. You can use summons as temporary pets (no eval needed for any of them), and the Heal & Cure spell families are based on your magery alone (similarly, Eval has no part in marking, recalling or gating). If you have to finish up something with offensive spells, then you have Mind Blast (which is based on Intelligence, IIRC, not Eval). AS a result, you have no need for any SDI on your suit, as nothing actually uses it. In some ways, the ToLK is a waste, as you can't use its DI, so a really nice crafted spellbook with near-max Magery, LMC and a non-SDI property (LRC, FC or FCR) might work better, but getting one that fits might take a while.

With a high enough INT, the +20 mana for being an elf, and LMC from the suit and spellbook (where you can get it), med isn't much an issue, either. Just get some Mana regen on a few suit parts, and make sure the suit is medable (as you can still manage to actively med, sometimes, even at 0 skill - and INT is 1/4 the equation for stat/skill based mana recovery).
Bas, your tamer looks like my Thunter....

My skills on my thunter are:

100 Lockpicking
100 Cart
120 music
120 peace
120 provo
120 disco
120 magery

I use jewels with 1/2 casting, and +10 in disco, provo and music (I think) on each one, and then I use a +15 mage book, and the +5 tailsman.

That's 800 skill points. And I have had very little trouble soloing Lvl 6 maps.

My suit is all 70's, 2/4 casting, 40 lmc, 100 lrc, 12 MR and some stat bonuses.

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I went with the birds tali, lost knowledge and with skills on jewels I will have 805 total. Need to incorporate luck on my suit though as I am at 0.

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good advice here. I recently converted my straight bard to a tamer-bard. I'm now wanting to add weaving to the mix and am debating about what to leave off. What are minimum skill levels for taming, lore, and magery that you would use? At the moment, this is not the tamer that I would actually take out to tame a pet. Also, does anyone use the bard mark of travesty? I've been using it but am considering other alternatives. I have already removed provo from the template but can soulstone it on when needed. I still have peacing but removed magery entirely last night, just as an experiment. Don't think I will like to go without magery.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Raising Disco is soooooooo Boring!
Delbrie,

When I was training disco, I would just go out and hunt with a pet and try to disco whatever the pet was fighting. At least that way I was accomplishing a couple of other things at the same time - getting loot/gold and training up my pet. Not quite so boring that way.

Now that we have the bardic masteries, once you hit 90 it's a piece of pie - just do the discord quest and then repeatedly cast one of the discord spells on yourself.

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thx. 90 disco is a long way away. Barely 40 right now. Been working polar bears for the most part.

ziggy29

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thx. 90 disco is a long way away. Barely 40 right now. Been working polar bears for the most part.
I just hit 90 disco yesterday. I found that when I hit about 80 I did better by continuing to disco the same creatures I was working from about 60 to 80 disco, only using an opposite slayer inst to reduce my chances of success. It was either that or start discoing some much stronger creatures that could tear me to pieces if I didn't have my dragon or my Cu with me.

Z

Zev Vir'cyth

FYI
The bane can be disco'd without retaliation if you are not an enemy.
That is how we disco the Bane guards using a charcter with no bane kill points.

J

jett cornett

Wow I dont understand how the whole 800 skill thing works. I have been out of the game for 4 years and i guess there are other items than jewlery to use to get these amazing skill stats. any info on this would be wonderful as I am changing up my peace tamer to disco tamer and have all 70 som odd extra skill points in focus.

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In addition to the 720 skill point I get automatically, I put 30 Taming and 30 Vet on my jewelry and I use the brit libray tally that give +5 taminng and + 5 lore. I equip the tome of lost knowledge spell book for + 15 magery. My total skillpoint is the 720 (real skill) + 85 (from equipment) for 805 total.

S

Smurcoch

Wow I dont understand how the whole 800 skill thing works. I have been out of the game for 4 years and i guess there are other items than jewlery to use to get these amazing skill stats. any info on this would be wonderful as I am changing up my peace tamer to disco tamer and have all 70 som odd extra skill points in focus.
Jett,

One of the changes in the last 4 years has been the imbueing skill.

Basically you can imbue mods on any piece of jewelry or armour or weapon. This allows you to custom make jewels for your template without having to try to find the impossible in monster loot.

If you need anything imbued or custom made, please send me a msg. I have no problem doing it for the cost of the ingredients. If you bring me the ingredients, I will use yours and charge you nothing!

J

jett cornett

i dont know what the best thing to do is here are my true skill stats are with no enhancement are

110 taming
110 lore
110 vet
90 magery
80 focus
106 music
110 peace or
117 discord on soul stone

caps are
120 taming
115 lore
115 vet
120 music
120 peace
120 discord
110 magery
110 focus

Thanks for any help?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In addition to the 720 skill point I get automatically, I put 30 Taming and 30 Vet on my jewelry and I use the brit libray tally that give +5 taminng and + 5 lore. I equip the tome of lost knowledge spell book for + 15 magery. My total skillpoint is the 720 (real skill) + 85 (from equipment) for 805 total.
Yeah, here's how mine breaks down (very similar to Delbrie) - I just altered my suit slightly.

120 Taming (102 natural, +5 from Talisman, +13 from imbued Ring)
120 Lore (102 natural, +5 from Talisman, +13 from imbued Ring)
120 Vet (all natural)
120 Music (110 + Song Woven Mantle, which are ML rare recipe Elf-only leaf sleeves with +10 music, 100 luck, DCI 5, and resists 14/3/14/4/16)
120 Provo (will be 120, when done; skill is currently 106.4, and I'm using a substitute bracelet while not training)
120 Disco or Peace (depending on bracelet - 105 +15; bracelets are identical other than Disco/Peace)
106 Magery (61 +15 from Ring +15 from Bracelet +15 from Tome of Lost Knowledge).

I could go higher in Magery with provo on the bracelet (and had originally planned to put +14 Provo on it, to take magery to 75 real/120 modified), but I decided to see what 110 Music + 120 Provo will do for Inspire and Invigorate from the Provo mastery.

The suit is 79/71/75/70/69 with 840 luck and over 100% LRC, and that's with none of the 3 100-luck normal pieces enhanced (circlet, legs and tunic; the rest comes from the mantle, leurocian's mempo and one of the Halloween Gypsy robes with 140 luck = the gloves are 78 resists with 19% LRC). I hope to eventually add one of the museum shields for more luck. There's even 26% DCI, though whether it does me any good as an elf with no combat skills and no eval is up in the air. The resist could be even better, because some of the items started with runic crafted items that already had 100 luck, and there were a couple of stray properties (like HP increase 4 on the circlet).