• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tame Templates for Solo/Duo

Hello everyone,

I'm returning from a very very long break.

My current template is-
Lore 115
Tame 120
Vet 110
Mage 110
Music 110
Peace 110
Eval 80

I'm looking for my best bet for soloing(some duo) PvM. I can stone music/peace off and save them for when I need to tame something. I also have access to most useful skills gm+ with stones. I've seen some templates that drop vet as well to run necro/ss/weave. I guess the healing comes from magery in that situation? seems sketchy but i have no clue.

It's hard to tell what info is outdated and no longer accurate. This forum seems pretty active so here we are. Just looking to hear everyone's take on taming templates for tough content these days.

None of my bets are trained, all legacy stuff. So I've got a long way to go.

Thanks everyone!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your template will work for the taming and training part.

Is peace used a lot while fighting?

You could build up Discord or Provoke and replace Peace as needed. So you don't have to change much.

Your template will work for the taming and training part.

Is peace used a lot while fighting?

You could build up Discord or Provoke and replace Peace as needed. So you don't have to change much.

I make sure to keep something calmed if I'm fighting. The current template is the only one i've ever used on a tamer and that was a decade ago. If other skills are more useful for champs or whatever I'd happily switch them around. No clue

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It will work for taming and training.

Ask us any questions you have when you decide on specific things.

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello everyone,

I'm returning from a very very long break.

My current template is-
Lore 115
Tame 120
Vet 110
Mage 110
Music 110
Peace 110
Eval 80

I'm looking for my best bet for soloing(some duo) PvM. I can stone music/peace off and save them for when I need to tame something. I also have access to most useful skills gm+ with stones. I've seen some templates that drop vet as well to run necro/ss/weave. I guess the healing comes from magery in that situation? seems sketchy but i have no clue.

It's hard to tell what info is outdated and no longer accurate. This forum seems pretty active so here we are. Just looking to hear everyone's take on taming templates for tough content these days.

None of my bets are trained, all legacy stuff. So I've got a long way to go.

Thanks everyone!
Before you stone peace away, do yourself a favor and try the peace bard mastery ... you'd probably be amazed how they help yourself and your pets while training / fighting.
Although you want max mana regen on your suit as well as 40 LMC!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Most importantly : Dont train any legacy pets until you know the system especially:
Banes, Nightmares, Dreadhorse, plain prepatch dragons, and prepatch White wirms, and any 4-slot Cus you have. Wait a few weeks on these, try the system first on NEW tames : A 2-slot Naja, or new 3-slot Cusidhe, freshly tamed. Also: resist the temptation to sell any of the elite pets mentioned above: Tehy are irreplaceable, and if you do decide to sell, check prices here in Stratics First (you could get a mint for them, like a lot for instance 50M-450M for some of these). Also they are now BUGGED, and devs promised fixing the bugs in a few weeks..Welcome back. The new taming is awesome..

Most importantly : Dont train any legacy pets until you know the system especially:
Banes, Nightmares, Dreadhorse, plain prepatch dragons, and prepatch White wirms, and any 4-slot Cus you have. Wait a few weeks on these, try the system first on NEW tames : A 2-slot Naja, or new 3-slot Cusidhe, freshly tamed. Also: resist the temptation to sell any of the elite pets mentioned above: Tehy are irreplaceable, and if you do decide to sell, check prices here in Stratics First (you could get a mint for them, like a lot for instance 50M-450M for some of these). Also they are now BUGGED, and devs promised fixing the bugs in a few weeks..Welcome back. The new taming is awesome..

What exactly is bugged about them?
I'm currently training a cu that was tamed right before I quit playing. Nothing special about it other than being 10 years old. Only about halfway through that initial progress bar so I can stop if it is bugged.

I'm impatient- unable to wait the week for something new to bond ha. I certainly won't train my ww/mare combo yet. Won't sell them either, granted I've only seen a handful of people in the week I've been back(on GreatLakes).

It will work for taming and training.

Ask us any questions you have when you decide on specific things.

Thank you for the support. This forum seems great so far.

I discovered this morning that my duo partner will be a full bard. Do you have any recommendations on what to swap music/peace for?

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for soloing stuff, a disco-tamer is still very solid, also very nice for team hunts.
something like
120 magery
120 music
120 disco
120 tame
120 lore
120 vet/sw/medi/focus whatever you want :p (personally i roll with 60 vet, 60 focus)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
What exactly is bugged about them?
I'm currently training a cu that was tamed right before I quit playing. Nothing special about it other than being 10 years old. Only about halfway through that initial progress bar so I can stop if it is bugged.

I'm impatient- unable to wait the week for something new to bond ha. I certainly won't train my ww/mare combo yet. Won't sell them either, granted I've only seen a handful of people in the week I've been back(on GreatLakes).
There is a long story about the others. About the Cusidhe : If it started at 3 slots it is ok, and may continue training, esp if post tame HPS are close to 570-600. If it is 4 slots sadly, there is a problem that it will not go to 3 slots (yet) if it will go there at all. PP mares, would only test them on TC1. Plain PP Dragons have had MAJOR issues with reverting recently, devs are working on fixing the issues. Lots of posting in here about this. Banes and Dreads : Hands off for now -- get a little more experience then test them on TC1..PP WWs also may have some issues..Patience rewards keep them in the cooler for now. Cusidhe may be ok tho, as said above if it started with 3 slots.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I finished training my cu last night. Took it to the balron spawn near spirituality and was able to take down a paragon pretty easily. Also, swapped out music/peace for sw/med. The difference is amazing. Word of Death helps to finish tougher things off. I frequently had the issue of things getting low and just greater heal spamming themselves. Not anymore.

I need to work on getting the taming mastery now. How gnarly of a pet do you need to solo or duo the requirements for the book quest? I've read it sends you to a peerless or champ spawn?

Thanks again everyone.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I need to work on getting the taming mastery now. How gnarly of a pet do you need to solo or duo the requirements for the book quest? I've read it sends you to a peerless or champ spawn?
That quest gives you a level 1 primer. You can find those on the ground. When you do kill the requested mob you get a box of goodies from someone in Heartwood. I got Dreadhorn and we do that a lot and I didnt get the box until later so I got a bunch of them.

You can buy a mastery book or do the bard quest. You kill sheep south of Trinsic has sheep. [bcolor=rgb(204, 205, 205)]http://www.uoguide.com/Bard_Masteries[/bcolor].

Then the hard part is getting a Taming level 3 primer from a spawn or buying it for many Mils.

Wait, so I can just do the bard quest for a book? and other primers work with it, not just bard primers?
That would be spectacular.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Yup, that's correct, books gained with the bard quests work for every skill mastery now. We ourselves got a lot of books with the discord goats quest, so easy and fast! :D You can get multiple books with the same bard.

to run necro/ss/weave. I guess the healing comes from magery in that situation?
Also, swapped out music/peace for sw/med. The difference is amazing.
Speaking of amazing difference, try to cast Arcane empowerment before your greater heals, you'll see the difference for sure! (With a lvl 6 arcane focus.) And you can also use gift of renewal for healing the pet.

Last edited:
Yup, that's correct, books gained with the bard quests work for every skill mastery now. We ourselves got a lot of books with the discord goats quest, so easy and fast! :D You can get multiple books with the same bard.

Speaking of amazing difference, try to cast Arcane empowerment before your greater heals, you'll see the difference for sure! (With a lvl 6 arcane focus.) And you can also use gift of renewal for healing the pet.
Is it one book per bard skill? or is it something you can repeat?

I'm learning all kinds of things today.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
You get one book for finishing the quest, we did put the book away to be sure before repeating the quest. That way our discorder got like 12 or 13 books so far, planning to get a few more soon as we gave some to new or returning players so have none left currently. After getting the book, the character still needs to "eat" the primers for the skills you want masteries for. Without that you cannot switch to those masteries we think. Not sure if you as a tamer know, but the taming mastery comes with 2 extra stable slots, yay! ;) Good for those freshly tamed trial pets hehe. (Of which we feel the giant or fire beetles are excellent choices since they start with the same stats so can easily be tried over.)

You get one book for finishing the quest, we did put the book away to be sure before repeating the quest. That way our discorder got like 12 or 13 books so far, planning to get a few more soon as we gave some to new or returning players so have none left currently. After getting the book, the character still needs to "eat" the primers for the skills you want masteries for. Without that you cannot switch to those masteries we think. Not sure if you as a tamer know, but the taming mastery comes with 2 extra stable slots, yay! ;) Good for those freshly tamed trial pets hehe. (Of which we feel the giant or fire beetles are excellent choices since they start with the same stats so can easily be tried over.)

Excellent! Thanks.

That is the main reason i want the mastery. The pets I have stabled now are 12 years old so I'd rather not release them. I can't train them atm either. Don't really have the room to go out and tame stuff I can actually use. Puts me in a weird spot where I can't do much.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Just ask around in help or general chat, there should be someone on your shard that is willing to give you a level 1 or 2 primer for taming to get started. (Seemed to catch that you are on GL so not on Europa?)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Excellent! Thanks.

That is the main reason i want the mastery. The pets I have stabled now are 12 years old so I'd rather not release them. I can't train them atm either. Don't really have the room to go out and tame stuff I can actually use. Puts me in a weird spot where I can't do much.
You can buy stable slot increase tokens from the UO store. Each token gives 3 more slots up to a total of 42 stable slots!

But you will still have a full stable...

Just ask around in help or general chat, there should be someone on your shard that is willing to give you a level 1 or 2 primer for taming to get started. (Seemed to catch that you are on GL so not on Europa?)

Great lakes. I haven't seen many people on. Maybe a couple people every night. I'm sure I can find a cheap primer tho. I was just under the impression I had to do a peerless or champ before I could unlock the mastery.

You can buy stable slot increase tokens from the UO store. Each token gives 3 more slots up to a total of 42 stable slots!

But you will still have a full stable...

Excellent. That will be super helpful. That will allow me to catch some of the newer things that weren't around when I was last adventuring. Shame the bonding still takes a week but that is just me being impatient.

It is nice that this tamer forum is as active as it is. New posts daily.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just under the impression I had to do a peerless or champ before I could unlock the mastery.
Nope. That quest is just to get the mastery book. You can get these from players or buy from vendor search to save you having to do the quest.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
And these beetles are probably the BEST pets to train anyways..Take time but well worth it due to the RC..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Great lakes. I haven't seen many people on. Maybe a couple people every night. I'm sure I can find a cheap primer tho. I was just under the impression I had to do a peerless or champ before I could unlock the mastery.
You did not look close enough..There is a ton of both old and new players on GL..Not too many pple bank sitting though..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Excellent. That will be super helpful. That will allow me to catch some of the newer things that weren't around when I was last adventuring. Shame the bonding still takes a week but that is just me being impatient.

It is nice that this tamer forum is as active as it is. New posts daily.
This forum is not just a forum. It is a priceless resource of info for UO. Great for all players old and new..

Can also buy instant bonding potions. But I just wait the 7 days.
You are the best. I was able to get a Cu bonded and trained out(correctly this time). Thanks

I also haven't asked a question in a few days so here we go.

The first Cu I trained was a legacy one with poor stats. It only had one round of training. The new one I did yesterday was able to do 2 rounds of training.

Now, is that based on pet slots? The new Cu was 3slots. Or is it a bug because my first Cu was 10years old that it only got 1 round?

What determines the 2nd round of training I guess is what I'm asking? and does it cap at 2 rounds or can you get more?

Thanks everyone. Been having a great time.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Indeed the control slots determine the amount of training your pets can do. Legacy pets have some issues (there are several threads about that) so it is a pity you haven't seen the warnings not to touch them currently while they are seriously downgraded because of having just 1 upgrade. They are under maintenance, hopefully they will be good again in future.

Indeed the control slots determine the amount of training your pets can do. Legacy pets have some issues (there are several threads about that) so it is a pity you haven't seen the warnings not to touch them currently while they are seriously downgraded because of having just 1 upgrade. They are under maintenance, hopefully they will be good again in future.

I did see the warnings. I haven't ruined anything valuable fortunately. My old ww/mare combo and good Cu are still in hibernation.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did see the warnings. I haven't ruined anything valuable fortunately. My old ww/mare combo and good Cu are still in hibernation.
Unfortunatly the Good Cu is also 4 slots unless you just tamed it.

Theres plenty of colored Cus out there. Go find 10 more.