• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tame, Rename, Release, Why?

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I have been playing this game a long time and this is always something that has bothered me because I could never understand the reason for it. I came across this again today. A tamer in training was taming spawn, giving the tamed animal a different name and releasing it. Then continuing the process as soon as another animal spawned.

Why perform this process instead of killing the released animal? Does it somehow benefit the tamer? I don't see how, as they will not get a gain on retaming the same creature. Does it benefit the next tamer to come along? I don't really see how since if I want to train on polar bears, I really don't want pretames that are harder to tame. If I want harder creatures to tame I will just go to a different level of spawn.

Is there something I have been missing all these years? Is it laziness, or the inability to kill what you have just tamed? If you have just tamed a creature and another spawns, you can use the new spawn to kill the one you tamed. Someone enlighten me, please. Thanks!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they are spawning Cus they do not want to take the Karma loss. Rename so you won't tame the same one again. Cause outwardly they all look the same released. Release so they have slot room to tame another. In some cases they cant kill the target quickly.

1. They are looking for specific Stats or color.
2. They are gaining Taming and Lore skill

I don't see how, as they will not get a gain on retaming the same creature.
Retaming by the same player does not give gains. It was designed so that a Tamer can retame a pet that has gone wild without failures.

If you have just tamed a creature and another spawns, you can use the new spawn to kill the one you tamed.
Karma loss with Cus and Unicorns. Other wise,? They don't like killing fluffy pixels?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Combination of factors, and lead to Cu farms, and 100 named sheeps, pigs, bull etc in the bull pens..Annoying.

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I was primarily thinking polar bears and bulls. That's what I see the most. I can't really see karma loss being an issue in those cases.

"100 named sheeps, pigs, bull etc in the bull pens..Annoying" Exactly!

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
For tamers, its also a courtesy. It's more difficult to tame something that's been released by another.

My brother and I used to tame together. He'd tame the bull first and release it, then I'd tame it. Better gains. I think by the time you get to 3 releases they're almost impossible to tame.

Details here: Animal Taming – Ultima Online

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the Bulls are being named null and the tamer is running in a counterclockwise square pattern it's a taming script....

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was primarily thinking polar bears and bulls. That's what I see the most. I can't really see karma loss being an issue in those cases.

"100 named sheeps, pigs, bull etc in the bull pens..Annoying" Exactly!
If I were using polar bears I would put those in the Zoo. They may just be notating the ones that they already tamed so they do not try them again.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally I turn them in to the Zoo if they are worth points... otherwise I tend to tame one ... have it come with me tame another kill whichever one is the lesser one... sometimes I sick pets on local healers.. and release just before they die... you can do this with the Cu's I sick one on another, the swoop or a paragon, then just before they die I release them this negates the Karma loss... rids you of the pet and keeps the spawn area clearer...

Rather turn things into the zoo... works up magery while I'm at it casting gates.

And they are right taming and releasing especially Bulls and stuff ups the difficulty for the next tamer to come along.

Also @Meat Elemental is 100% correct about the scripter... You see those more often in Jhelom where the bull spawns there in the fence... What's really fun there is to take a herder herd the bull out into the jungle and walk away. Often the scripter will be following the Bull... Once out of the zone the Bull will eventually spawn again as he tames that one somewhere in the jungle. Is that evil? I don't know it gets rid of the scripter until he checks his screen...

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
"And they are right taming and releasing especially Bulls and stuff ups the difficulty for the next tamer to come along"

I understand that, that is part of the problem. If I am seeking more difficult animals to tame, then I will go to the next level of tameables. I have never gone to tame, say polar bears, hoping that someone else got there before me and already tamed them so that they would be more difficult. I would have just gone to tame great harts for example. If I go to tame polar bears because I just reached the level where I can start to tame polar bears and they give me good gains, I don't want to find all of them in a location actually too difficult for me to train on.

Maybe others find pretamed animals helpful, but I do not. Maybe that's part of my issue.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't tame and release... I tame and kill or I tame and turn in... once I reach the ability to tame Unicorns/Kirins that is where I stay...

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
"I don't tame and release"

I never said that you did. Sorry if I implied that you did.

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If I'm hunting high stat Cu's, I will burn through my karma.

If I'm competing with other rude tamers who are not being courteous and camping out in invis until one of the high end colored Cu's spawn, I'll burn thru my karma. I've lost quite a bit of reds, whites, and blacks from people leeching off the work I do when I tame hunt Cu's.

If I'm alone and hunting high stat, or color, I will sick my cu's on swoop or 1 paragon Cu and just cycle through the spawn list that's available.

However, I've seen people empty all their Cu's into the cave in Ilshenar right before the zone and have walked into hundreds of Cu's before just wandering around lol. So I imagine that situation might be a tame-training boon of an experience.

Still have not found a Blaze Cu pop in all my last two years of farming Cu's. Not one.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
when I was training, and was working on Gaman, I would tame, get up to 5 of them, start having them attack each other (or ronin/ninja/Yomutsu/bake that wandered in, as I was taming near Homare gate), harvest the dead for leather and horns (back when that quest had good loot), rinse and repeat.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
If I'm hunting high stat Cu's, I will burn through my karma.

If I'm competing with other rude tamers who are not being courteous and camping out in invis until one of the high end colored Cu's spawn, I'll burn thru my karma. I've lost quite a bit of reds, whites, and blacks from people leeching off the work I do when I tame hunt Cu's.

If I'm alone and hunting high stat, or color, I will sick my cu's on swoop or 1 paragon Cu and just cycle through the spawn list that's available.

However, I've seen people empty all their Cu's into the cave in Ilshenar right before the zone and have walked into hundreds of Cu's before just wandering around lol. So I imagine that situation might be a tame-training boon of an experience.

Still have not found a Blaze Cu pop in all my last two years of farming Cu's. Not one.
My bum-poorly dressed tamer, would tame Cus 100-150 at a time, and put them in cave to save time. Then the sneaky fancy dressed high-class dressed in Hawkwinds etc. Tamer, hiding invisi at the front, would miraculously appear and snag the premium color high stat Cu I worked so hard to spawn. So it would be best to work with another tamer, staying at the front while you dispose of the Cus in cave. Have an agreement between you two, so that you share the colors and high stat ones. I did it mostly for the challenge, and had fun doing it with very few deaths, and no carma loss at all, other than the need to kill the paragons with fire beetle, but was not too much. Working together with some one is the answer I think, some one who will not take advantage of you, and keep spawning them.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Releasing cus gives you an army vs changelings, and some people will tame 30-100 of something, then come back on another character to get gains again...

Otherwise, they are lazy. They changed spawns sometime after 2012 to respawn after a few seconds after taming instead of removal from sub server... so besides enormous population growth... it doesnt hurt.