• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tales of Jayce Caine

Caine Family

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
25 years ago

Jayce waited for the Orcs to light a fire in the forest clearing and to begin drinking. Drunk Orc were easy to predict. He wanted them drunk enough to be stupid, more than they already were. Mistakes got you killed in the wilderness, and these orc had just made two big ones. Lighting a fire told him they were overconfident, the ale that they were sure no one was in pursuit.

Rule One: Always assume someone’s after you.

He eased himself through the mud on his belly, using his elbows to pull himself toward a hollowed out, rotten log at the edge of the clearing. The rain had turned the forest into a marsh, and he would spend the next few hours picking bugs and worms from his clothes.

Rule Two: Survival never takes second place to dignity.

Careful not to look directly at the campfire and lose his night sight, he counted five orc - one less than he had expected. Where was the sixth? Jayce started to ease himself upright, but froze as the hair stood up on the back of his neck, a warning.

A shape moved from behind a tree in the darkness. A warrior. Armored in boiled black leather. Moving with skill. The orc paused, scanning the darkness, his hand never leaving the wire-wound hilt of his axe.

Had he seen him? He didn’t think so.

“Borug, kome” called one of the orc seated around the fire. “Betta hurry if yer want any uv dis bea. Zugbu iz drink'n it all!”

Rule Three: Stay silent.

The orc cursed, and Jayce smiled at his obvious frustration.

“Quiet,” he hissed. “ fink dey heard yer back ‘n bloody Cove.”

“Ach, dere’s no wun out ere, Borug. 'da Kovians are probably too busy buckl'n on dere armor an giv'n it a polish ta botha wit' kom'n afta us. Kome on, take a drink!”

The orc sighed and turned back to the fire with a weary shrug. Jayce let out a slow breath. That one had some talent, but he too believed they were alone in the wilderness.

Rule Four: Don’t let stupid people drag you down to their level.

Jayce smiled and glanced up, seeing the smudge of night-blue darkness of his companion against the darkened forest. Kori dipped his Helm, and Jayce nodded, their wordless communication refined over many years together. Kori watched Jayce's right fist, then raised three fingers, knowing Kori could see him perfectly and would understand.

Rule Five: When it’s time to act, do it decisively.

Jayce knew they should just take these orc out quietly and without fuss, but the affront of Orcs this deep in Cove's Landing was galling. He wanted these orc to know exactly who had caught them . The decision made, he pushed himself to his feet and strode into the campsite as if his being there was the most natural thing in the world. He stood at the edge of the firelight, his hood raised and his oiled stormcloak drawn tightly around him.

“Give me what you stole and no one has to die tonight,” said Jayce, nodding toward a leather satchel stitched with the Gold Willow symbol of Cove.

The Orcs scrambled upright, blinking as they scanned the edge of the forest. They fumbled to draw their blades and Jayce almost laughed at their surprised ineptitude. The one who’d almost walked right over him hid his shock well, but relaxed as he realized he was alone.

“You’re a long way from home, 'umie,” he said, raising his axe.

“Not as far as you, Borug.”

He frowned, put on the back foot by the using his name. Jayce saw his mind working as he tried to figure out how much more he knew. He kept his cloak pulled tight as the orc spread out, surrounding him.

“Give me the satchel,” said Jayce, a note of boredom in his voice.

“Take 'em!” shouted Borug.

It was the last thing he said.

Jayce swept his cloak back over his shoulder and lifted his left arm. A black shafted bolt from his repeater crossbow buried itself in Borug's eye, and he fell without a sound. A second bolt tore into the chest of the orc to his left. The remaining four came at him in a rush.

A screeching cry split the night as Kori swept down like a lightning bolt from a clear sky. His blades boomed as he spread them wide and swung around in a scything arc. The blade tore the face from one Orc, and the slashing dagger clove the skull of the orcish brute next to him. The third orc had managed to raise his weapon, but Kori was quick to react, sinking his dagger into his shoulders and bore him to the ground. Kori's sword slashed down and the orc’s struggles ceased instantly.

The last orc turned and sprinted for the trees.

Rule Six: If you have to fight, kill quickly.

Jayce knelt and loosed a pair of bolts from his crossbow. They hammered into the orc's back and burst from his chest. He managed to reach the edge of the trees before pitching forward and lying still. Jayce remained motionless, listening to the sounds of the wilderness, making sure there were no other enemies nearby. The only sounds he heard were those he’d expect to hear in a forest at night.

He stood, as Kori walked over to him, the satchel of military dispatches the orc had stolen held in his hand. He dropped it and Jayce caught it with his free hand, looping it over his shoulder in one smooth motion. Kori but smirked, his body rippling with the thrill of the hunt. Kori's Sword and dagger were red with blood. The man's head cocked to the side, and his gold-flecked eyes glittered with amusement. Jayce grinned, his bond with his brother so strong he already understood his thoughts.

“I was wondering that too,” said Jayce. “How did these Orcs get this far into Cove's Landing?”

Kori, without a tounge spoke with his eyes, and Jayce nodded in agreement.

“Yeah, that’s what I was thinking,” said Jayce. “South it is.”

Rule Seven: Trust you can rely on your partner.

Caine Family

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
23 Years Ago

The old woman pulled the rope taut around the Covian guard's throat. He’d attempted to speak, which was forbidden by the rules she had laid out. One more infraction and she’d have the right to slice the head from his shoulders and use his widowpeaked helm as a chamberpot. Until then, she could only tighten her grip, hope and watch as the tendrils of memory leaked from his head into hers.

Of course, she could just decapitate him whenever she wished, but that wouldn’t be proper. Much could be said of the gray-skinned seer, but nobody could say she didn’t live by a code. By a set of rules. And without rules, where would the world be? In disarray, that’s where. Simple as that.

Until he broke those rules, she would sit here, siphoning away everything he had – his joy, his memories, his identity – until she was done with him. And then: slice. Chamberpot.

A voice screamed out in pain somewhere near the entrance of her cave. One of her sentinels, no doubt.

Then another scream.

And another.

Tonight was shaping up to be very interesting.

She could tell he was an unyielding fellow by the persistent slamming of his heavy boots onto the wet cave floor, announcing his long approach. When the echoing steps finally fell silent, a handsome, broad-shouldered man stared at her from across the cavern, the look of grim determination on his face illuminated by the den’s dim torches. Rivulets of blood dripped down his breastplate. Even from the back of the room, she could smell something sour in his armor – some sort of acidic tang that calmed the magic flowing through her veins in a way she did not like.

This would be an interesting night, indeed.

The Covians, broadsword in hand, ascended the stone steps to the old woman’s makeshift rock throne.

She smiled, waiting for him to haul the blade up and bring it screaming down toward her head – he’d be in for quite the surprise once he did.

Instead, he sheathed the sword and sat on the ground.

Wordlessly, he stared into the old woman’s eyes, patiently holding her gaze. He did not break their connection even to flick his eyes in the direction of the leashed soldier at her side.

Was this a ploy to throw her off? Was he trying to wait her out, make her talk first?

Most likely.

Still, this was boring.

“Do you know who I am?” the woman asked.

“You feed off the memories of the lost and the abandoned. Children say you are as old as the cave you inhabit. You are the Lady of the Stones,” he said with confidence.

“Ha! That’s not what they call me, and you know it. Rock Hag. That’s what they say. Afraid I’d smite you if you used that name, eh? Trying to butter me up?” she coughed.

“No,” the man replied, “I just thought it was a rude name. It’s impolite to insult someone in their home.”

The old seer chuckled until she realized he wasn’t joking.

“And yours?” she asked. “What are you called?”

“Jayce Caine, of the Covian Guard.”

“Here are the rules Jayce Caine, of the Covian Guard,” she said. “You have come for your lost comrade. Correct?”

The man nodded.

“Do you intend to kill me?” the woman asked.

“I cannot lie. I think it likely that either you or I will die, yes,” he replied.

The woman chuckled.

“Eager to spill my blood, are you? Maybe you’d even succeed, with that armor.” She coiled the rope squeezing Kori's neck tighter around her ancient hand. “Still – if you raise your sword against me before our dealings are through, I will pull this so quickly you’ll hear the snap of his neck echo in your mind for the rest of your days.”

She yanked the leash taut for emphasis.

Jayce’s gaze remained unflinchingly focused on her eyes.

“So, the rules. If you can give me a single memory I find more delicious than the accumulated memories in this one’s mind,” she said, flicking the prisoner’s helmet, “I will take it from you, and give you him.” She watched Jayce’s eyes closely now for any hint of doubt. “If you cannot, well…” she tightened her grip on the Kori's leash. “Should either of us attempt to renege on our deal, the other is entitled to take repayment however they wish, with no resistance. Do you agree?”

“I do,” he said.

“Then let me hear your opening offer. What is this Guard's life to you? Apologies for my rudeness – I’d refer to him by name, but I’ve forgotten it already,” she said.

"He is my brother.” Jayce replied.

She frowned at the young man. He clearly did not know what he was getting into.

“I offer a memory,” he said, “from childhood. My brother and I astride a horses back. I falling off and into a puddle of mud. We laughed for many hours. It is a good memory, unsullied by what would later happen to him at the hands of one like you.”

The old woman scratched at the gelatinous film of her eye.

“You do me disrespect,” she said. “You think to trade a joyous memory as if that is all I savor.” She cupped the soldier’s head in her hand and relished the wisps of memories flowing into her mind from his. “I want... everything. The pain, the confusion, the anger. Keeps me looking young,” she laughed, dragging a twisted finger across her wrinkled cheek.

“I offer my grief, then, at my uncle’s death,” Jayce said.

“Not good enough. You bore me,” said the Lady of Stones, and pulled tighter on the leash.

Jayce sprang to his feet and unsheathed his sword. The hag’s heart leapt at the thought of killing the impatient young guard. But instead of attacking, he dropped to one knee, lowering his head before her, and gently placed the tip of the blade on her lap, pointed toward her midsection.

“Search my mind,” he said. “Take whatever memory you wish. I am young, but I have seen much, and experienced a life of privilege that you might find pleasurable. Should you try to take more than one memory, of course, I will push this sword through you, but any single memory is yours for the keeping.”

The woman could not help but cackle. The arrogance of this boy! He had the nerve to think one of his memories would outweigh the lifetime she could absorb from his colleague?

His courage – or ignorance – was unquestionable. One had to respect it.

Smacking her lips, she leaned over and placed her palms upon his head. She closed her eyes and peeled back the layers of his mind.

She saw triumph at the Battle of Cove. She tasted the lyrebuck roast at his lieutenant’s wedding feast. She felt a lonely tear fall as he held a dying comrade on the fields of Britannia.

And then she saw his sister.

She felt his intense love for her, mixed with...something else. Fear? Disgust? Discomfort?

She pushed deeper into his mind, past his conscious memories. Her fingers probed his thoughts, pushing aside anything unrelated to the golden-haired girl with the big smile. His armor made the search far more difficult than it would have otherwise been, but the old woman persisted until–

Childhood. The two of them playing with toy figurines. His soldiers charge her mages, ready to slaughter them. She tells him it isn’t fair; they have magic, it should be an even fight. He laughs and knocks her clay mages over, batting them aside with his metal crusaders. Upset, the girl shouts and suddenly there is light shooting from her fingertips, and he is blinded, and confused, and frightened. She is taken away by their mother, but before their mother leaves the room, she kneels and tells the boy that he didn’t see what he thought he saw. It wasn’t real – just a game. The boy, his mouth agape, nods. Just a game. His sister is not a mage. She couldn’t be. He pushes the memory as deep as it can go.

Stretching her fingers, the old woman finds more and more memories like this spread amongst the guards’s childhood, each ending in a blinding splay of light. Buried deep. Cacophonous mixtures of love, fear, denial, anger, betrayal, and protectiveness.

The guard had not been wrong – these were good memories. Far juicier than those provided by the now broken Kori.

She smiled. The guard had been clever, putting his sword to her stomach, but he wasn’t clever enough. Once she took a memory, he would forget he’d ever possessed it – she could take whatever she wanted.

Branching her fingers, she sifted through his memories, searching for anything involving the girl of light. She snatched up every single one she found before pulling out of his mind.

“Yes,” she said, opening her eyes. “This will do.” She pointed at the cave’s exit.

“Your bargain is accepted. A single memory for a single life. Take the boy and leave at once.”

Jayce stood and moved to the leashed soldier. He bent down, helped his brother up, and began to walk backward out of the cave, never once looking away from her.

Quaint. He was worried she might break the deal. Poor thing didn’t realize she already had.

Jayce stopped, and as quick as his gaze met hers, a blade crashed deep into Kori's Heart. His limp body dropping in front of Jaye.

The old woman thrilled at his impetuous attempt. He was too big, too lumbering, too slow to ready his cumbersome sword before she would descend upon him. Her fingertips crackled with dark energy, thirsting to drink in more of his mind, but she couldn’t take her eyes off his. In them, she saw the years of luscious memories she would feast upon, until there was nothing left to –

She felt something cold inside of her. Something metal. The sour tang of the guard's armor stronger than ever now, tickled the back of her throat.

The hag looked down to see Jayce's sword jutting from her breast. Stains of red and black seeped from the wound, dripping onto the Jayce's gauntlets as he stared steadfast into her fading eyes.

He was faster than she’d thought.

“Was it worth it?" she tried to say, only to cough up a mouthful of black bile.

“You lied,” he answered.

The hag smiled, acidic tar bubbling between her teeth. "How do you know?"

“I felt... lighter. Unburdened,” Jayce replied.

He blinked.

“Give them back and I may just yet spare you.”

She thought for a moment as her blood mixed into the mud of the cold cave floor.

“Why even bother with the trade?” the old woman asked. “You are stronger than I thought. Much stronger. Leash or no, you could have sliced me to ribbons before I’d lifted a finger. Why bother letting me into your mind at all?”

“To draw first blood in a stranger’s home without giving them a chance would be...impolite.”

The hag cackled.

“Is that a Covian rule?”

“A personal one,” Jayce said, and pulled the sword out of the hag’s chest. Blood gushed from the open wound and she slumped over, dead.

He didn’t spare her another look as he picked his brother limp body up and began their long march back to Cove's Landing. Little did Jayce know that tonight, he had lost more then just a brother.

And without rules, he thought to himself, where would the world be?

Caine Family

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
“Try again!”

A bead of sweat dripped from the child’s nose.

“I can’t, it’s too hard.” Her chin quivered as she looked up at her brother with tears in her eyes.

“You can do it if you concentrate!” Her brother growled at her, both wanting her to succeed and afraid that she would.

She burst into tears. “Mother told you it wasn’t real, Jay. I’ll tell!”

He narrowed his eyes at her, then slowly nodded, defeated.

He knew what he saw. His little sister was more than she appeared.

He would watch her more closely.

Five years later

Jayce crept towards the edge of the precipice. He knew she would be there. This was where she went when she wanted to practice and didn’t want anyone seeing her.

There had been many years of watching his sister, he knew her habits.

The lightning bolt flew from her outstretched fingers, splitting the rock neatly in two.

Even after all these years, the power that he felt crackling in the air when she practiced caused his breath to catch.

After that day, five years ago, when he tried to force her to use her powers, he never spoke about it again.

She suddenly cocked her head and looked up at his hiding place. “Did you think I wouldn’t know you’ve been watching me all this time, Jay?” A small smile played over her lips.

Jayce quietly swung his legs over the edge and dropped down into the chasm below. Watching his sister, amusement danced in his eyes.

“How long have you known, Ali?” He asked her.

She laughed. “I think you need more training if you are planning on joining the Guard when you get older! I’ve known for a long time.”

“Watch what I can do!” She said excitedly.

She closed her eyes and started mumbling something he could not hear.

Suddenly the entire cave was lit with a bright white light.

So intense was this light, Jayce needed to shield his eyes.

Alisyn was surrounded by white light. Not just surrounded. As Jayce looked at his sister through slitted eyes, it appeared she WAS light.

Alisyn Caine even at 13 was always a beautiful child, but surrounded by white light, she was glorious. The cave crackled with an electricity he had never felt before.

And just as suddenly as it came, the light was gone, and his sister again stood before him.

Staring hard at his sister, he knew without a doubt she would need him to protect and watch out for her.

To be continued…

Caine Family

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
20 Years Ago

The man Jayce was going to kill was named Craiggen. He had the look of a man very sure of himself. He watched him talking to four men, so alike they must surely be his brothers. The five of them were cocksure and preening, as though it was beneath their dignity to even present themselves in Cove's Landing's Garrison in answer to his challenge.

Dawn cast angled spars of light through the lancet windows, and the pale stone shimmered with the reflections of those who had come to see a life ended. They lined the edges of the garrison by the score, members of all Houses, lackeys, gawkers and some simply with unhealthy appetites to see bloodshed.

“My lord” said the Covian Guard Sergeant, handing him a mid-length rapier with a bluesteel blade upon which light moved like oil. “Are you sure about this?”

“Of course” replied Jayce. “You heard the tales Craiggen and his braggart brothers were spreading in the town?”

“I did” confirmed the Covian Guard Sergeant. “But is that worth his death?”

“If I let one braggart slide, then others will think themselves free to wag their tongues” said Jayce.

the Covian Guard Sergeant nodded, and stepped back. “Then do what you must.”

Jayce stepped forward, rolling his shoulders and sweeping his blade twice through the air – a sign the duel was about to begin. Craiggen turned as one of his brothers nudged him in the ribs. Anger touched Jayce as he saw his frank appraisal of his presence. He drew his own weapon, a long, beautifully curved Yew cavalry saber with golden quillons and a sapphire inset on the pommel. A poseur's weapon and one entirely unsuited to the requirements of a duel.

Craiggen stepped up to his duelists' mark and repeated the sword movements he had made. He bowed toward Jayce and winked. Jayce felt his jaw tighten, but clamped down on his dislike. Emotion had no place in a duel. It clouded swordplay and had seen many a great swordsman slain by a lesser opponent.

They circled one another, making the prescribed movements of foot and blade like dance partners at the first notes of a waltz. The movements were to ensure that both participants in the duel were aware of the significance of what they were soon to attempt.

The rituals of the duel were important. They, like The Measured Tread, were designed to allow civilized folk to maintain the illusion of nobility in killing. Jayce knew they were good laws, just laws, but that didn't take away from the fact that he was about to kill the man before him. And because Jayce believed in these laws, he had to make his offer.

“Good sir, I am Jayce, Captain of the Covian Guard” he said.

“Save it for your grave-marker” snapped Craiggen.

he ignored his puerile attempt to rile him and said “It has come to my attention that you did injure the good name of the Covian Guard in an unjust and dishonorable manner by the indulgence and spreading of malicious falsehoods in regards to the legitimacy of my position as Captain. Therefore it is my right to challenge you to a duel and restore the honor of my name in your blood.”

“I already know this” said Craiggen, playing to the crowd. “I'm here aren't I?”

“You have come to your death” promised Jayce. “Unless you choose not to fight by giving me satisfaction for your offense.”

“How might I give my lord satisfaction?” asked Craiggen.

“Given the nature of your offense, submit to having your right ear severed from your head.”

“What? Are you mad?”

“It's that or I kill you” said Jayce, as though they were discussing the weather. “You know how this duel will end. There is no loss of face in yielding.”

“Of course there is” said Craiggen, and Jayce saw he still thought he could win. Like everyone else, he underestimated him.

“All here know my skill with a blade, so choose to live and wear your wound as a badge of honor. Or choose death, and be food for crows by midmorning.”

Jayce raised his blade. “But choose now.”

His anger at what he assumed was his arrogance overcame his fear and he stamped forward, the tip of his sword thrusting for his heart. Jayce had read the attack before it was launched and made a quarter turn to the left, letting the curved blade cut only air. His own blade swept up, then down in a precise, diagonal arc. The crowd gasped at the wet spatter of blood on stone and the shocking suddenness of the duel's ending.

Jayce turned as Craiggen's sword clattered to the granite flagstones. He fell to his knees, then slumped back onto his haunches, hands clutched to his opened throat from which blood pumped enthusiastically.

He bowed to Craiggen, but his eyes were already glassy and unseeing with impending death. Jayce took no pleasure in such a slaying, but the fool had left him little choice. Craiggen's brothers came forward to collect the corpse, and he felt their shock at their brother’s defeat.

“How many is that?” asked the Covian Guard Sergeant, coming forward to collect his sword. “Fifteen? Twenty?”

“Thirty” said Jayce. “Or maybe more. They all look the same to me now.”

“There will be more” promised the Sergeant.

“So be it” answered Jayce. “But every death restores our family honor. Every death brings redemption closer.”

“Redemption for whom?” asked the Covian Sergeant.

But Jayce did not answer.

Caine Family

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
31 Years ago

The battle raged furiously.

The three siblings fought hard, like a well-oiled machine.

And when it was over, the ground around their feet was littered with Orc bodies.

Kori threw back his head and laughed. “That was FUN!” He declared sheathing his sword.

Jayce growled at him, “It should never be fun to take a life. Even theirs!”

If he thought Kori would be chastised, he was wrong. His brother just shook his head, and started dragging Orc bodies into a pile, preparing to burn them.

Ali watched her brothers with almost a detached interest.

She had been careful about using her magic. She knew if anyone caught her, her whole family would be in trouble. Since they were the leaders of the town, that meant she would destroy the entire town if she was found out.

In the two years since Jayce found her in the cave, she had gone there many, many times. Each time learning more; stretching her powers. She had watched other mages, quietly, almost secretively, sometimes sneaking up on them performing some ritual or other. She was aware that no one else could do what she could.

It took her a long time, but she had learned to control the light that came to her. She was now able to use that light whenever she wished. And when she used it, it almost seemed to engulf her. She was one with the light; she could do anything, be anything. She knew, almost without being told, this was not normal; she was not normal.

And yet, even when she was consumed with light in the dark cave, Jayce looking on, she knew Jayce saw her as his sister. Not something to be feared.

“HEY! You going to stand there all night daydreaming, or are you going to help?” Kori yelled at her.

She bent down and grabbed a fallen orc by the arm and dragged it to the mounting pile.

As far as she knew, Jayce was the only one who knew her secret.

In fact, when she was with others, she had her bow in her hand, although no one really knew that she never once hit anything with it. If anyone was watching her closely, they would see the bow useless in her hand, and instead of an arrow flying from the bow, her words of power flew instead. Luckily, she was a Caine, no one questioned why there were no arrows with her mark among the fallen bodies.

Jayce lit the pyre of bodies with his torch. She could have done that with a simple wave of her hand.

She sometimes felt like she would never be able to be who she really was.

While her brothers were watching the fire, she quietly slipped away to hunt by herself; someplace she could be who she was really meant to be.