• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Gardening] Surprise from the naturalist quest, old white plants

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
What goes on, I got 2 classic white plants so far from the naturalist quest.
I hope I will get the new plants as fire and rare colors too.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So to get the white and black Bald Cypress and Hedges I see on your roof, you get the seeds from the Naturalist Quest? Is this the last batch of seeds, where you root around in the sand or something... it's been a while since I've done that quest. ;)

Is it a random thing or do the seeds always yield white/black plants?

Safe Travels, Sam

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
So to get the white and black Bald Cypress and Hedges I see on your roof, you get the seeds from the Naturalist Quest? Is this the last batch of seeds, where you root around in the sand or something... it's been a while since I've done that quest. ;)

Is it a random thing or do the seeds always yield white/black plants?

Safe Travels, Sam
Yes you need a green thorn to get the 5th nest

V

Vidma

I had 4 white plants and 2 black plants sprout today and they were all the "old style" of plants. That was very disapointing. I hope this isn't a bug of some sort since I have about 25 more white and black seeds growing.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I don't mind getting black and white of the old plants as long I still get the new ones too.

I'm very glad I got my white tree just before this changes, it will be harder to get the ones you wish for.

I do wish to see the new plants added to the fire red and rare colors too, that would balance it.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, are these plants sprouting from seeds gathered after publish 57? Thanks in advance

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
So, are these plants sprouting from seeds gathered after publish 57? Thanks in advance
The classic white plants are from seed gathered after pub 57. I'm very worried, I had not got a single "new" white or black plant after pub 57.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Concurring with post 57 bug. Just ran the quest 13 times and with the new resource was able to identify 6 legacy fire seeds, a water and cactus( can't tell which type) black seeds, and white seeds of pamp@ss gr@ss, elephant ears, campions, and poppies (again cannot discern old or new type).

V

Vidma

It sounds like this a bug that started after the latest publish. Any word on when they are going to fix the bug?

V

Vidma

All of my black and white plants that sprouted today are the "old" variety. So no new white or black plants until they fix this problem

F

Flora Green

Hmm. I am kinda excited about this simply because I'm lazy about crossing. :) Still, I was REALLY hoping to get a white mossy cypress for winter since it looks like icicles hanging from the tree.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Hmm. I am kinda excited about this simply because I'm lazy about crossing. :) Still, I was REALLY hoping to get a white mossy cypress for winter since it looks like icicles hanging from the tree.
Me too, I only got one white cypress, had not got a mossy one yet and fear I won't get one before we get a fix for this new bug.

I too is to lazy for crossing, so I hope we can be able to get both the old and the new plants from the quest.

I can't believe Sakkarah make so many bugs, I start to believe she is teasing or testing how we react at possible changes. :)

F

Flora Green

I can't believe Sakkarah make so many bugs, I start to believe she is teasing or testing how we react at possible changes. :)
That is funny. She IS sneaky, so maybe we should keep a closer :eyes: on her. :D

V

Vidma

Why hasn't one of the moderators responded to this post to let us know what the story is and when they are going to fix this?

Sakkarah_

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't believe it either. I'm starting to realize I either really suck at this or just try to bite more than I can chew.

Anyone renting a shoulder for this noob to cry on, PM me with prices. :sad2:

Why hasn't one of the moderators responded to this post to let us know what the story is and when they are going to fix this?
Because Moderators cannot respond to this issue, only Devs can. And we have all gone home for the Holidays and are therefore not expected to look at these forums nor respond until said holidays are over. Just some of us (raises hand) are junkies and still do. But as we also do not have access to the code while on vacation, we cannot (and frankly should not) be testing the apparent bugs until we're back to work on January 5th.

Hope that answers your question!

T

Teeshy

*ties a really big pillow to her shoulder*

Free one Sak ;)

And don't be too bothered by it, we're all still having fun with it, and none of it is game breaking ;)

Heck, I'm having so much fun growing plants, that even days that I can't get in game to *play* the game, I am still logging in and tending plants ;)

...so, until at least Jan 5th, we can stock up on all the plants that we otherwise could only have gotten as mutant X's? *grins*

Sakkarah_

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*ties a really big pillow to her shoulder*

Free one Sak ;)
WOOT! Freebies! :danceb:

...so, until at least Jan 5th, we can stock up on all the plants that we otherwise could only have gotten as mutant X's? *grins*
Kind of a moot question. Knowing what speedhacking packrats you gardeners are, you will all have a billion of the types of plants you shoudn't normally get if not for the bug by the time the fix is in. And then you will manage to find another one of my screw ups and milk the heck out of it too!

TBH, I'm starting to think one of you bribed the hamsters under my desk to mess with the code when I'm AFK or home sleeping. Whatever happened to respecting the "Do not feed the animals" sign? :rant2:

T

Teeshy

Kind of a moot question. Knowing what speedhacking packrats you gardeners are, you will all have a billion of the types of plants you shoudn't normally get if not for the bug by the time the fix is in. And then you will manage to find another one of my screw ups and milk the heck out of it too!
*sighs* But... but I am selling my castle! And moving into an 18 x 18! AND having to downsize by approx a thousand items to do so!

..you aren't by any chance in charge of the code that controls storage space for housing too are you? *offers more freebies as bribes* Lovely *coughs* jar of vegemite? Something uniquely Australian? Ermm, how about he view outside my back door at dusk, when the kangaroos have come into my back yard to drink from the water dish? All I want for Christmas is storage space in an 18 x 18 to match the castle ;) *chuckles maniacally*

TBH, I'm starting to think one of you bribed the hamsters under my desk to mess with the code when I'm AFK or home sleeping. Whatever happened to respecting the "Do not feed the animals" sign? :rant2:
*stealthily hides all traces of super hamster food*

Inconceivable! We would not do such a thing!

F

Flora Green

Well I have an extra account open for holiday gifts and low and behold an 18x18 dropped a couple doors down from my shop. So, I'll be exploiting (legally of course) the heck out of this bug for white/black plants. While I was hoping for the mossy cypress in white, I won't deco for spring until March so there's still time to have it in my winter garden. In the meantime I'm stocking up on yet another "good" bug. :)

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh *whew* I'm so glad it's just a bug and not intended. I was really hoping to get black cypress trees. In the meantime, I'll continue growing and see what I get. :)

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Drat! I just ran the Naturalist quest 5 times and got Fire Red seeds on each one. Well... I still have 20 more green thorns. ;)

D

DHMagicMan_1

Sakkarah,

How about the proposed fix for the 5 hive run being White, Black and Fire Red seeds can come in any of the existing plants, Set One, Set Two and Bonsai (all styles)? :)

I understand about not adding to all the day glow colors but since we're all getting so many of the other colors anyway, and mutants of the original set are SO hard to generate... this seems like a very fun way to randomly get one at a time of anything that can exist... and most likely much easier to code.

Anyway... just an idea.

We still love you. :) :bowdown:

Sakkarah_

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about the proposed fix for the 5 hive run being White, Black and Fire Red seeds can come in any of the existing plants, Set One, Set Two and Bonsai (all styles)? :)
In truth, I don't personally mind white and black plants of the original (what I refer to as legacy) set being available through the naturalist's quest. But they were supposed to be rare, which would no longer be the case if I don't fix this. It also means you will have to do a lot more secret nest quests to get the white or black peculiar plant you might want since that will be twice as many plants to randomly pick a seed from.

As far as fire colors go and bonsai trees, I can tell you right now it won't happen (and no, it's not just me trying to play dictators).

I was going to ask questions about the bugs but then slapped myself into remembering I'm supposed to resting so I won't! But I will be bombarding you guys with some clarifications about the current issues once I'm back from vacation. You guys might want to take the next few days to discuss among yourselves how you want the black and white handled. IMHO, we should keep the legacy out of Naturalist's quest black & white just because they should be a reward for crossing plants. But I'm not against leaving it them in the quest either. Think it over and post your opinions!

We still love you.
Why do I have a strong feeling this is going to cost me in the not so distant future? :spider:

D

DHMagicMan_1

In truth, I don't personally mind white and black plants of the original (what I refer to as legacy) set being available through the naturalist's quest. But they were supposed to be rare, which would no longer be the case if I don't fix this. It also means you will have to do a lot more secret nest quests to get the white or black peculiar plant you might want since that will be twice as many plants to randomly pick a seed from.

I was going to ask questions about the bugs but then slapped myself into remembering I'm supposed to resting so I won't! But I will be bombarding you guys with some clarifications about the current issues once I'm back from vacation. You guys might want to take the next few days to discuss among yourselves how you want the black and white handled. IMHO, we should keep the legacy out of Naturalist's quest black & white just because they should be a reward for crossing plants. But I'm not against leaving it them in the quest either. Think it over and post your opinions!

I can understand about the Bonsai because they've never been in any color but "natural" so why start now... just thought I'd throw a "hail mary" and see what happened.

You said you don't object to "Legacy Plants" available in Black and White through the Naturalist Quest if that's what we want so I guess we'll all stew and mull and argue amongst ourselves while you enjoy the white tundra up north.

You didn't mention how you felt about the 2008 Plant set (aside from four barrel cacti which is already available) becoming available as fire seeds? Is this something you'd also consider based on feedback?

Thanks for reading and commenting during your vacation, and again for your gardening work this year.

sherianna

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My vote is for peculiars only. Legacy was fine from cross-pollination. I don't want to have to run the 5 nest quest 20 times to get one new plant.

F

Flora Green

Thank you for allowing us interaction on this, Sakkarah. Very cool. :)

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My vote is for peculiars only. Legacy was fine from cross-pollination. I don't want to have to run the 5 nest quest 20 times to get one new plant.
I agree with this. Plus there is already a system for obtaining the legacy plants in black and white.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
My vote is for both legacy and peculiars in black and white.

Move the fire red to the 4 nest group, it really starting to get annoying to get a fire red when you want a black or a white.

The 4 nest group will then have 4 colors, but only legacy seed, the 5 nest will only have 2 colors but both legacy and peculiars seed.

It do not make sense to have the fire red in the 5 nest group, when it won't give peculairs seed.

Thanks alot Sak, for a good UO year and the great work and Happy New Year to you and your colleagues

F

Flora Green

Move the fire red to the 4 nest group, it really starting to get annoying to get a fire red when you want a black or a white.

The 4 nest group will then have 4 colors, but only legacy seed, the 5 nest will only have 2 colors but both legacy and peculiars seed.

It do not make sense to have the fire red in the 5 nest group, when it won't give peculairs seed.

Thanks alot Sak, for a good UO year and the great work and Happy New Year to you and your colleagues
All very good points, Freja. The fire red flowering cactus could simply be considered a bonus to nest 4 if the fire red seeds were moved to it. I agree it doesn't seem to fit now with black and white added to nest 5. Plus, the fire red's aren't considered special anymore and don't really have any additional value over the magenta, aqua and pink plants.

D

DHMagicMan_1

That's a neat idea.

So fifth nest would have all Legacy and New plants (including Cocoa) in Black and White and the Four nest run would have Aqua, Pink, Magenta, in Legacy only as well as Fire in Legacy plus Four Barrel (or Legacy plus all New?)?

S

Sharantyr

Have to disagree with you Freja and DHMagicMan for 2 reasons.

1. Lets suppose we've just had a bug where Aqua, Magenta, Pink and Fire Red plants were giving seeds and we all have a lifetimes supply of seeds in these colours now. Whats that? We already have? Ok. So lets get rid of the Fire Red seeds from the 5th solen nest quest, that we no longer want, and put them with the other 3 colours we no longer want.

2. When the new plants were added there were a few posts about why there was no cross pollination with them. And now you'd like to take away the best part of crossing the legacy plants?

Anyone can run the solen 5 nest quest a few times and get a few seeds growing in their backpack but it takes a dedicated gardener to spend time growing 100+ various seeds to cross pollinate.

S

Sharantyr

Btw Freja. Got a couple of Christmas tickets on Siege if you want them.

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have to disagree with you Freja and DHMagicMan for 2 reasons.

1. Lets suppose we've just had a bug where Aqua, Magenta, Pink and Fire Red plants were giving seeds and we all have a lifetimes supply of seeds in these colours now. Whats that? We already have? Ok. So lets get rid of the Fire Red seeds from the 5th solen nest quest, that we no longer want, and put them with the other 3 colours we no longer want.

2. When the new plants were added there were a few posts about why there was no cross pollination with them. And now you'd like to take away the best part of crossing the legacy plants?

Anyone can run the solen 5 nest quest a few times and get a few seeds growing in their backpack but it takes a dedicated gardener to spend time growing 100+ various seeds to cross pollinate.
What they said. ^

D

DHMagicMan_1

From my point of view there are two independant questions:

• With regard to availability of Fire Seeds, which are currently available in "Legacy" and "Four Barrel Only", I'd like to see this color expanded to include Legacy, Peculuar and Fragrant so basically all "Legacy" and "New" available in "Fire" color. If they continue to be available as a 5th hive (where they are) or adding to 4th hive.. I don't really mind.
  • With regard to availability of White and Black Seeds through the 5th Hive, I would be comfortable with this being Peculuar and Fragrant only but I'd like to see the crossing percentages revisited because as it is currently, the chances are SO REMOTE as to discourage even attempting. I believe the current chance is something close to 1% chance at a mutant which I think is way too low... maybe bump it to 2 or 2.5% for a while and see how that feels? I agree we should need to work for mutants but it shouldn't be such a burdon it feels like we are passing a kidney stone.

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
  • With regard to availability of Fire Seeds, which are currently available in "Legacy" and "Four Barrel Only", I'd like to see this color expanded to include Legacy, Peculuar and Fragrant so basically all "Legacy" and "New" available in "Fire" color. If they continue to be available as a 5th hive (where they are)
My personal opinion (and I realize this is not shared by all) is that there is already way too much neon in the game. I'd hate to see more added. The black/white are about as far as I like to go.

D

DHMagicMan_1

My personal opinion (and I realize this is not shared by all) is that there is already way too much neon in the game. I'd hate to see more added. The black/white are about as far as I like to go.
In the scheme of things, I think allowing Fire seeds for all the plants wouldn't be that much of a "Net Add" of neon... it's not changing the proportions... which would stay at 1/3 Black, 1/3 White and 1/3 Fire... I just don't see a big deal about allowing only one of the new plants to come in "Fire" color instead of allowing them all...

If we were talking about adding Pink, Aqua and Magenta I'd accept your position more readily.

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the scheme of things, I think allowing Fire seeds for all the plants wouldn't be that much of a "Net Add" of neon... it's not changing the proportions... which would stay at 1/3 Black, 1/3 White and 1/3 Fire... I just don't see a big deal about allowing only one of the new plants to come in "Fire" color instead of allowing them all...

If we were talking about adding Pink, Aqua and Magenta I'd accept your position more readily.
I see your point. I guess I just keep cringing at visions of groves of burning cypresses.

B

Beastmaster

I would be happy if it all functioned as stated in the current design notes.

BTW, after the last bugfix I was still able to produce blue bonsai seeds on the blue bonsai I had growing. However, after the 3 people on my shard that wanted a set of decorative blue bonsai bought theirs I trashed the lot.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

All very good points, Freja. The fire red flowering cactus could simply be considered a bonus to nest 4 if the fire red seeds were moved to it. I agree it doesn't seem to fit now with black and white added to nest 5. Plus, the fire red's aren't considered special anymore and don't really have any additional value over the magenta, aqua and pink plants.
I realize I'm a day late and a dollar short. But when my black seed popped this morning and was a Snake Plant I had to see what was going on. I haven't been gardening as much due to holiday madness. But that was unexpected.

I agree with Freja and Flora on this one. It would add a lot more gardening to get multiples of things but at the same time, by the time I tend my peculiars, tend my resources and tend the Naturalist quest seeds, Which spot am I going to put enough to cross pollinate. I have a house basically dedicated to growing it's an 18x18 and but even then the time to do it all, well it's just not in the cards. I do love to grow and am dedicated but sheesh. Anyway to be able to combine growing the legacy with the peculiars in black and white would be great to me.

F

Flora Green

I ended up voting for option #3, Oriana. I went back and forth on it, but if you see my response in the poll thread you'll understand why.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Followup on the 13 plantings from Naturalist quest: only the black cactus seed resulted in a new flowery cactus. All the rest ended up legacy plants.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fix the quest so that only peculiar plants come from the 5th nest

I'm trying to get white hedges and your coding mistake screwed me bigtime

And I don't want to have the legacy plants on the list or I'll be running that quest for the next 5 years just to get my hedges (which is teh suck)

D

DHMagicMan_1

Fix the quest so that only peculiar plants come from the 5th nest

I'm trying to get white hedges and your coding mistake screwed me bigtime

And I don't want to have the legacy plants on the list or I'll be running that quest for the next 5 years just to get my hedges (which is teh suck)
Don't run Naturalist trying to get White Peculuars until the next publish... all the white seeds are Legacy at the moment (it appears anyway).

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Believe any color/plain cactus seed has a chance to become the new flowery version as well as the legacy ones. Out of the 13 fifth nest seeds post-publish 57, only one didn't result in a legacy plant...a black flowery cactus. Same mechanics seem to affect the cactus seeds from Bog Things and Boglings.