• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Suggestions: Lycanthropy

Derpy

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I submitted an in-game suggestion on the topic of Lycanthropy, so I'll just reiterate a few ideas here. I am currently Lycan skill 27 or so.

Lycanthropy has several permanent, irreversible drawbacks as the devs have confirmed. However Lycanthropy feels very weak overall. Given the drawbacks, there should be more perks to the skill tree. NPC's hate me, etc.

I don't understand how run-speed boost isn't a no-brainer here. As a wolf I cannot run any faster than a bipedal humanoid. What? That feels really lame from a player's perspective who just morphed into a wolf. I suggest starting with 10% speed boost, and earning another percentage point or two with each level.

Also, you don't even earn 6 skills as a werewolf to fill up the bar. I thought the idea was to have more than 6 and have to make choices.

To make matters worse here, one of the skills "Pack Attack" is totally useless unless you are grouped with other Lycans which is almost never in my personal experience. Pack Attack should provide a buff to anyone grouped with me regardless of whether they are also a wolf. Anyone in my group is my "pack".

Howl doesn't really feel like it pays for itself either. Not sure what the point is. I stopped using Howl completely and I don't notice any difference. Maybe Howl should summon a couple of temporary Spirit Wolves of the Moon Goddess or something. On a positive note, Beast Metabolism is cool.

Graphically, I should be bigger and more ferocious - like a dire wolf instead of your garden variety zoo wolf. Big enough to function as a mount for 1-2 players, that way, paired with my better run speed, I can get a small party whever we are going together.

Honestly it just feels like an incomplete, overlooked skill. And that's fine for Alpha but it needs a lot of love. My main idea here: Give the Lycanthropy skill more passive bonuses in light of the permanent drawbacks, starting with movement speed.

Last edited:

Mortitia

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I got a few comments :
Lycanthropy feels very weak overall : untrue, Lycan is more dependent on gear than some classes, bad gear you sux, good gear, you rock
I don't understand how run-speed boost isn't a no-brainer here : agree, a wolf runs faster than a human
you don't even earn 6 skills as a werewolf to fill up the bar : Untrue, not as much as others but more than 6
"Pack Attack" is totally useless unless you are grouped with other Lycans : untrue, Pack Attack is also part of some powerful combos even when you solo
Pack Attack should provide a buff to anyone : i dont agree there, its good as it is or it would be unbalanced to other animal forms
Howl doesn't really feel like it pays for itself either : i dont use it either
Graphically, I should be bigger and more ferocious : personal view, but i rather be this than the white wolf
Honestly it just feels like an incomplete, overlooked skill : i dont agree here, lycan is more complete than any other animal form : moon cycle, combos (AoE, healing, fire damage), metabolism regen, specific alchemy recipes, possibility to get human form at will (almost :p), of course more is always better

eggsalicious

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Before anything is changed, I think there needs to be a reconceptualizing of Lycans. They don't seem to have a particular niche-- cows are supposed to be tanks (per Eric, latest MMORPG interview), and pigs are supposed to be utility (can't remember source for this tho). Lycan's have been repeatedly nerfed and now seem like subpar dps unless they're very well geared and at endgame-- but what isn't under those conditions?

Lycan depression seemed to reach something of a critical mass this past weekend, with several of them online and unable to do anything. One guy even deleted his main so he could start again with his preferred name without being a lycan-- and this is the crowd that was weaned on firstgen MMOS, not the pablum WoWclone kiddies for whom this will be a life-ruining crisis.

In addition to finding a niche for the class and balancing it (neither of which can be done quickly), I think some of the penalties could be eased (not the NPC restrictions tho) and substituted with other penalties that still allow lycans to do stuff. I have a suggestion. It's probably sucky:

During the full moon, lycans could have a curse which puts them in a constant state of blood frenzy, during which they try to keep their desire to feed under control. The chance for Bloodfrenzy to proc would increase over time, and the ability would have some kind of internal cooldown. When Bloodfrenzy procs, lycans would gain a massive damage buff before automatically attacking a creature in sight. This would include friendlies. If there are no targets in sight, Lycans would self-cannibalize instead. People might hate it, but Lycans would lose control of their characters for the duration of this attack (which could be lengthy if the target is a player character and decides to run). The damage buff could last for a short while after the lycan has attacked something.

Seribule would be a much more interesting place during the full moon!