• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Suggestion: Specialized Storage

Gorgonzola

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I was looking at Conor Brace's Jam Session Teaser he posted just recently and this got me wondering.. how are we going to experience thos aspects of the game, when every invzentory slot and vault storage slot is a very valuable commodity? Where are the roleplay oriented players (those who may enjoy the emotes) going to store all these instruments?

Right now I am storing one Classic Lute (because I don't want to sell it and buy it again later)... and this one slot in my shared storage is already using up a valuable space.

It's worth noting also here is a decent amount of storage in the game, but it is often spread in the world in inconvenient locations.

I think Specialized Storage could help remove some of the hurdles for newer players, make the inventory management overall a little less frustrating, while maintining the value of Endurance upgrades, Words of Power and potions (temporary inventory upgrades)...

Specialized Storage basically means you would only be able to store certain types of items. Such a storage also would usually only be available in town (where they are most useful). Thus once you go in the world to explore and hunt..

Examples:

* One storage at Fainor where you can leave only cooking ingredients and foods.
* One storage near the library where you can store musical instruments, and various usable implements like shovel, skinning knife, and also weapons and armor you may want to hold onto.
* One shelf somewhere you can store any potions you crafted.

TLDR The idea being that by creating specialized storage, the vault storage expansion and inventory bag expansion via temporary or permanent upgrades remain meaningful. I think it may be a good little compromise between the current system and modern MMO conveniences that people have gotten used to and which can cause people to get irritated and abandon the game.

That said I can't say how serious this is, but I definitely had moments in my first week where logging in with a full bag and trying to figure where to empty them, when all I wanted was to go and explore the world... was really annoying. With Specialized Chests.. this would give some room for newp layers to temporarily unload items they don't know what to do with yet. Yo umay argue that's what Hulon is for, but with so many crafting skills, along with "roleplay" items like the musical instruments, I think a better solution is needed.

Mendel

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I like this suggestion. I can't tell on first encounter with an item what it will be needed for later. And some rare items are used in quests and skills (stomach). The difficulty to obtain an item and later uses for the item makes it hoarding a practical strategy.

rhonen

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Personally, I use mules. I have mules created for holding different things like skins, wood, cooking items etc. Once I have made my mules then I was not so desperate for bank space. I currently have 42 open Bank slots right now and the next slot will be costing me 5k but I like to have as much storage as I can lay my hands on so I'll keep buying Bank slots.

Ratero.

Mendel

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Mules are just out-of-game mechanisms for bypassing the game restrictions on a single character. If it is necessary to make a mule for storage, that implies that there is a fundamental design flaw based around storage. Let's face it. Players are hoarders. They should put many of us on various TV series covering our addition to keeping stuff. A mule allows us to postpone making decisions, and gaming is all about making decisions.

CunningFox

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Is there a game out there that players dont make mules in? :S Even with infinite storage you'd likely use mules just to help organize it all

eggsalicious

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
This is an easier fix than the alternatives I think. It takes 2 min to make and alt and run it to Seribule. It's a mildly annoying to log in and out several times to transfer items, and they could make things nicer by increasing max stack size on several items, but it's such a small price to pay for NOT HAVING TO ROLL ALTS.

Gorgonzola

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I personally can't be bothered logging in and out so I gift anything I can, cook whatever I can, etc.

It's just that I think an issue for newer players and even for me after 3 weeks is siometimes I am eager to go run a dungeon and just blast things, but I feel stuck in town with this big weight on my shoulders I have to solve. And it's a little longer than I wish it to be .. there is this nice rhythm between going out adventuring, and returning to town and selling and sorting out loot and buying skills and whatnot. I feel like the "town" part sometims is a bit dragging on. Partly this is due I think to the nature of the crafting system and there being so many different items.

Rucati

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Is there a game out there that players dont make mules in? :S Even with infinite storage you'd likely use mules just to help organize it all
This is probably true, but in my opinion there's a big difference between using mules to help organize things and using mules because there's no other way to hold everything you need.

I have to say, I suffer pretty bad from what I like to call "I might need it later" syndrome. Where I don't really like getting rid of things because you never know what might come in handy, especially in a game like this, do I keep all the raw food I find to level cooking, or do I just sell it and worry about it later? But if I worry about it later it's going to be more work. But I have ten different cooking things that either don't go together yet or that I'm not a high enough level to use, so I guess I should keep them. But I can't because I don't have the inventory space for that. So now I'm forced to either get rid of the ingredients, or make a mule specifically to store my cooking supplies on, which is just kind of a pain.

Add to that the completely unintuitive item stacking, why does fertalizer and water take up individual slots but potions stack when both are made with bottles, why do three separate bottles of water stack once they turn into potions? How come my armor takes up an inventory slot? Am I carrying my armor in a pocket of my armor? Honestly I think a lot of the inventory problems would be solved with your equipped items not taking up a slot. Plus the storage spots are all over the damn place, it's easy enough to keep track of what's in each spot with the in-game notepad, but it's still a massive pain to run all over the place, and it adds no real value, it's just a chore.

Of course all the problems are solved by using mules parked in a city, but when they're more or less required it seems like something should probably be done about it.