• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

suggested stats for a new paladin?

Seraphina_152

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
So I came back to Uo after a very, very long break. I decided to roll up on a new shard and just start from scratch. My first character is one of my favorite builds, the pure paladin. (Swords, tact, anat, healing, parry, chiv, rest in focus) The thing is, I'm not really sure what to do about her stats. I don't have access to stat scrolls or a ton of gear, so I have to work with my 230 cap. I locked int at 40 to begin with. That seems like a good number since I still rely on chiv for some healing. I didn't pay attention after that, and while grinding parry and chiv I hit 75 str and 115 dex. I read a little bit about wanting to wear plate armor now? So what should I be trying to set my str and dex at to begin with?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
So, since you're at 225 to start, I'd go minimum int, maximum dex, and whetever else fits in str. Then as you manage to get +5 from age, and +stats scrolls, and maybe even a +5 scroll from exodus to get to 260 keep putting it all into str till you either A) get to 125 or B) to wherever you need to be to max out.

I run 140 str + 30 from pots = 170; I also run 80 resist which means that even a weaken from a mob with 200 eval will only knock me down to 150. I do the same with dex, and I have 10 int. In my new suit, when fully potioned I'm at 170 str/ 170 dex/35(ish) int, which leads to 150 hp, 195 stam, and 80+ mana.

Seraphina_152

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
So, since you're at 225 to start, I'd go minimum int, maximum dex, and whetever else fits in str. Then as you manage to get +5 from age, and +stats scrolls, and maybe even a +5 scroll from exodus to get to 260 keep putting it all into str till you either A) get to 125 or B) to wherever you need to be to max out.

I run 140 str + 30 from pots = 170; I also run 80 resist which means that even a weaken from a mob with 200 eval will only knock me down to 150. I do the same with dex, and I have 10 int. In my new suit, when fully potioned I'm at 170 str/ 170 dex/35(ish) int, which leads to 150 hp, 195 stam, and 80+ mana.
This seems like sound advice for after I get established and get some gold. I ended up bumping str up to 100 and letting dex drop some. Once I get some gear I'll start dropping int for dex, but going minimum int right now seems like a terrible idea lol. Without int I can't actually use any of my chiv spells, and I don't have any gear yet. I just started back up a week ago.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Since you're starting more or less totally from scratch, you'll want at least 30 mana so you can cast chiv and use the occasional special move, you're right.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What shard are ya on....maybe someone can step up and help you out with a +25 stat scroll.

With an ecru ring and str and agil pots I run 120 str 120 dex and the rest in intel...

after chugging the pots that puts you at 150 HP and min 150 stam...which is a great place to start from as you start farming legendary pieces to build a suit.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
If you're new and trying to collect $$ running those pots really cuts into the profit margins, so I was assuming no pots. Not sure where someone without a solid suit goes to 'farm' arties these days anyway since the shame dungeon loot table was scrolled back over the winter.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
When playing with old school limitations, play with old school stats 100, 100, 25. Stats are really easy to work, get yourself to the skill cap (by any means - meaning buy random skills), then lock everything except for example Music at 0 and point it up then use a Last Object macro on a Tambourine and Dex will rise. For Str I use Arms Lore, WaitForTarg, Last Target, for Int I use Med/Focus.

I wouldn't wear plate with no Resist as when you get Cursed/Weakened it'll fall off.

Items such as the Rune Beetle Carapace are relatively cheap/common and have things like 15 LMC, 10 Mana, 3 MR, which should help with Chivalry spells.

If starting from scratch completely (which I always like but rarely do anymore) let your Med and Focus rise and wear medable armor until you're in a better position to start worrying about stats and suit requirements.

Seraphina_152

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
If you're new and trying to collect $$ running those pots really cuts into the profit margins, so I was assuming no pots. Not sure where someone without a solid suit goes to 'farm' arties these days anyway since the shame dungeon loot table was scrolled back over the winter.
This is something I was worried about when I started back up, and it definitely seems to be a problem. I've always been more of a mid-level player in UO. I've never owned 10s of millions of gold, never had arties or any really high end gear. But it was always ok because there were a lot of players like me. So I could still make gold selling decent, but not amazing, gear. I've definitely noticed that most of those types of players are gone now. Even just doing vendor searches for low tier stuff brings up nothing. If it's not really, really good, no one bothers selling it. And with imbuing, most of the crap that would be in my price range to begin with just gets unraveled. It's a good thing I'm in no hurry to max everything out lol.

Seraphina_152

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stats are really easy to work, get yourself to the skill cap (by any means - meaning buy random skills), then lock everything except for example Music at 0 and point it up then use a Last Object macro on a Tambourine and Dex will rise. For Str I use Arms Lore, WaitForTarg, Last Target, for Int I use Med/Focus.
This doesn't seem to be necessary any more. I capped my stats on my paladin before I had any skill hit 80 while playing in New Haven. And my crafter went from ~40 int to 100 int while leveling Magery from 40 to 73. Maybe this only happens with low skill characters, or only on New Haven or something, but stat gains are definitely a lot faster and easier than I remember lol.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On cats a keg of grt str and grt agil are 5k each...hardly onerous! :) But that is just how I see it.