• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Stygian Abyss Reward Books

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When you complete the museum quest in the Holy City - you get some gems and a book.

I didn't see any posts here listing the books and significance so I thought I would post.

I've noticed that there are a quite a few different books and some seem to come in different editions.

I have the following unusual books:

Kodels Xen [Collector's Edition] - White colored
The Book of Family [Limited Edition] - Dk Orange colored

The other books don't have the [Editions] listed on them. I am assuming these are rarer editions but does anyone have an idea of how rare?

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMHO, any quest that can be continuely farmed for items, no matter the color or rarity, should not be considered here. As time goes on, more and more of these will be available, so their "rarity" continues to decline, day by day.

This is why [replicas] and other items like this aren't discussed here, they are on the regular trade boards.

That being said, the quest to obtain these books are relatively easy and the rewards are great. The books apparently come from book titles from the early days of Ultima....

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So far I have collected 27 books (4 unusuals) with the following Titles:

The Book of Family (Limited Edition)
Snilwits Big Book of Boardgame Strategy (Collectors Edition)
Alice in Wonderland
A Treatise on the Lore of Gargoyles
Tangled Tales
Hubert's Hair Raising Adventure
Kodek's Rit
Kodek's Benommani
Kodek's Xen
Plans for the Construction of a Hot Air Balloon
The Book of Spritiuality
The Book of the Underworld (First Edition)(Collectors Edition)
Plant Lore
Of Dreams and Visions
Knights of Legend, volume 1

Until we see how 'hard' it is to get Limited Editions and/or Collector's Editions in all Titles I don't think you can say 'exactly' whether or not there is a 'Rare' in here, nor is there a comprehensive list of all titles so again, you cannot see if there is a 'rare' here that may have 1:10000 drop or whatever.

These books may be 'stained' so unless there is a totally unique hue not able to made by staining I am not sure if color is an 'issue'. Other dye tubs do not work on them.

So far in colors:
The First Edition was blackish
The Collectors Editions (2) were white
The Limited Edition Dk Orange

M

maroite

I just got The Book of the Underworld [Collector's Edition]

One would think that maybe there can only be a certain number of "Collector's Editions" as in... once say 5 on a server have been spawned, thats it.

irux

Rares Fest Host | GL Jan 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

One would think that maybe there can only be a certain number of "Collector's Editions" as in... once say 5 on a server have been spawned, thats it.
i have 6 on GL already

L

Lord Urza

I would think something like that of limited editions....but that doesnt seem at all the be the case, would have been a cool idea.

irux

Rares Fest Host | GL Jan 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i got a special edition today says i need to something about some stones and the book and put it in some light.....

maybe just text or maybe the books actually are an ingredient or material for something greater, my book was the "codex of infinite wisdom" (special edition)

Techthys

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i got a special edition today says i need to something about some stones and the book and put it in some light.....

maybe just text or maybe the books actually are an ingredient or material for something greater, my book was the "codex of infinite wisdom" (special edition)
OOOH! Nice! Gotta get me one of those!

In the original standalone Ultima games, The Codex of Infinite Wisdome was read by using two lenses, one from the Britannian people and one for the Gargoyles. So if the "stones" you mention really mean lenses, the text you're seeing may just be a reference to how the Codex was read, according to old Ultima lore. But it would AWESOME if those are actual instructions to do something cool with the Codes in UO!