• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Sturdy Shovels

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I have enough.

When you get an LBOD for, say, 10 normal small weapon, do you just throw them away? Or is there a use I've overlooked?

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know what everyone else does but I bribe it up to an excellent weapons LBOD then fill it.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The gargoyles pickaxe or mining gloves have any value? I realize the prospectors tool might, but I have a lot of those, too.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I do a lot of mining. I generally fill them and turn them in, in the hope that I get a better deed when I do, so that I can then make something for PoF or a copper hammer or something.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Ok, that makes sense.

How do you track of your bods? I have like 9 bod books, and no easy way to see if I have all the necessary smalls to fill a large without going through each and every bod book. There used to be a uoassist agent that would let you export your bods to a program, but I can't find it anymore and I'm using the ec client now.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As long as your miner has the ability to kill elementals, the gargoyle's pickaxes should be part of his/her arsenal. I mine almost exclusively with GPAs, and often in dangerous locales.

Typically, I take 6-8 GPAs, 1-2 prospector's tools and 1-2 sturdy tools on a trip. How I use them is as follows:

I dig once with a sturdy tool.
If the results is colored ore, I decide whether I need that ore, the next ore up, or two ores up, more.
  • If I want that ore, I continue with the sturdy tools (doesn't happen much)
  • If I want the next ore up, I switch to Gargoyle's pickaxes (With the chance of even more ore from the elementals).
  • If I want the ore two steps up, I use a prospector's tool then go to the GPA.
If the ore's iron, I use the Prospector's tool, which gives me a 1-color elevation and tells me what the ore type is.
  • If the new ore type is Dull Copper (most common, as half of all sites are iron), depending on if I need DC or Shadow Iron more, I will either stay with a sturdy shovel for DC or switch to the GPA for SI.
  • All other ore types, I use the GPA - even if the result from the PT is shadow iron, I get more than enough shadow iron from elevating Iron/DC to Shadow with the PT/GPA combination anyway. Plus, I like fighting ore elementals (heck, I mine mostly in Ilshenar for the thrill of fighting paragon ore elementals).

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Dizzy, what I do with my BODs to better sort them involves 9 paragon chests - one for each ore color (including iron).

Then, in the iron chest, I put 8 backpacks, while each of the colored chests get 3 backpacks. Each backpack is engraved with a BOD type (ringmail, Chainmail, Platemail, and for iron, the 5 weapon LBODs as well).

Each backpack then has 6 BOD books in it, 1 each for 10, 15 & 20 normal LBODS as the top row of 3, then the bottom row of 3 books being 10, 15 & 20 exceptional count. Each is named specifically for their count, quality, and LBOD type (and, if not dyed with the book covers, the ore type is specified in the name as well).

Outside the backpacks inside each chest, there is usually a book for the non-combinable small BODs.

With this system, you end up with each book having only one specific type of LBOD, and only smalls that will fit with it. As everything is labeled (and the chests color-coded), you know exactly where to look for a BOD.

The downside is that you need to make or buy about 205 BOD books for the storage system itself, plus 32 backpacks (24 of which you will probably dye ore colors), and get 9 colored chests of the appropriate colors - just for the smith BODs.
The same can be done for tailor BODs, but only requires 4 wooden chests (3 dyed to leather colors), 5 backpacks per chest, and a 5th chest with 8 backpacks for the tailor BODs.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Wow, Basara, those two posts should be in a faq somewhere.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I bribe up the normal weapons LBODs to exceptional and for the normal wepaons SBODs I buy the weapons from the smith to fill the SBOD and turn it in for another. I throw away lots of shovels but the +5 mining gloves I use to make armor for my smith and treasure hunter

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'd guess you'd have to throw them away, there's so many of them. Good ideas.

What do you do for cloth bods?

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Heh. Sleep deprivation. SO you'd give me 3k for each cloth sbod? Why?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
He'll fill em, and turn em in, in the hopes that he can get a LBOD for a horned/barbed kit.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
4x 20 normal cloth LBOD = spined kit. As needed I will fill the clothing bless deed ones. Otherwise, yeah I just toss them too.