• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stuck leveling taming

J

Jlapps

Hey everyone!

I'm kinda stumped leveling taming at the moment. I'm at 53 skill, and it looks like my best gains would be from horses, ostards, and other creatures that require 29.1 taming. However, the majority of these animals are either forest creatures, which makes them very spread out, or Lost Lands creatures. I'm not aware of any good concentration of these, like there were for easier creatures. Does anyone else know a good taming location at this level? Should I go back to the Healer Grove and tame hinds until I'm higher skill? Thanks in advance for the responses!

(On a side note, I know where to go after this point lol, i'm just stuck right now.)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Hey everyone!

I'm kinda stumped leveling taming at the moment. I'm at 53 skill, and it looks like my best gains would be from horses, ostards, and other creatures that require 29.1 taming. However, the majority of these animals are either forest creatures, which makes them very spread out, or Lost Lands creatures. I'm not aware of any good concentration of these, like there were for easier creatures. Does anyone else know a good taming location at this level? Should I go back to the Healer Grove and tame hinds until I'm higher skill? Thanks in advance for the responses!

(On a side note, I know where to go after this point lol, i'm just stuck right now.)
There are lots of critters that are good for that skill level in the forests north and west of Britain - deer, wolves, panthers, sheep, horses, etc. It's more important that you get a good concentration of animals that you can gain skill on than it is that you find the exact animals that match your skill level. I know more than one has also mentioned Ice Isle and all the critters there which might be good for your skill level. Come to think of it there are also a lot of critters in the woods north and east of Old Haven.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Arctic island is still a bit high for good gains. I would try hinds at barrier island at the end of Trinsic and Healer's Grove in Ilshnar NW of Lakeshire. You can also try timber wolves near the trinsic gate. These will take you to 60 at which time you can head to arctic island (ice island) and tame polar bears and walrus to the mid 70's where you can switch to snow leopards. You can also get some jewelry and bumping taming up to a level where you can find a good amount of spawn for that level. Using jewelry to get you to 60 wouldn't be bad so you can head to arctic island.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I start a character with 50 taming, the first things that character tames for gains are brown bears by Moonglow Zoo, with an occasional batch of timber wolves thrown in for variety. Tame, release, and then kill the released bear with magery spells to train up magery. Or, tame two, release one, and use the one that's still tamed to kill the released one and vet the one that is still tamed to get some fantastic lore and vet gains.

When taming is in the low 60s, switch to polar bears. Then switch to snow leopards when taming is at about 70. Switch to white wolves when you get to low 80s. Or put on jewelry to get to about 90 taming and tame bulls. (By the time I get to white wolves sometimes I seriously need a break from looking at all that ice.) You can also try gaman instead of white wolves.

When taming is up to about 80, I often put on jewelry to get taming up to the 104-109 range and tame unicorns. (Tame ki-rins instead if the character is male.) Tame two, release one and kill it with the one that is still tamed. Or tame a nightmare and use it for killing the released unicorns. It's great training for the nightmares.

I'll usually tame unicorns for about an hour or two, making sure to keep "modified" taming skill in the 104-109 range, and then drop off the leather and gold and take a short break. Then I might take off the jewelry to get back to the low 90s and tame bulls for a while just for variety.

When real taming is about 100, I pretty much stop the hour or two-hour long taming sessions and just tame a dragon or two every day or every other day. However, you could definitely continue with taming unicorns or ki-rins while keeping your taming skill in that same 104-109 range. When taming hits about 117, you only get a gain about every third day, so when I hit this point with real taming, I just tame a dragon every third day until the character hits 120 real taming. You could tame cu sidhe instead but my tamers are usually human so they can carry more weight, so I've never experimented with taming cu sidhe for gains or figured out exactly how people who do tame a lot of them for gains manage to quickly dispose of the tamed ones so they always have new ones to tame.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
When taming hits about 117, you only get a gain about every third day, so when I hit this point with real taming, I just tame a dragon every third day until the character hits 120 real taming. You could tame cu sidhe instead but my tamers are usually human so they can carry more weight, so I've never experimented with taming cu sidhe for gains or figured out exactly how people who do tame a lot of them for gains manage to quickly dispose of the tamed ones so they always have new ones to tame.
I find that multi-tasking makes the whole process much less painful when you reach the higher levels of taming. I actually only ever trained up as far as 110, but I used jewelry to get my skill close to 120 and then farmed cu sidhe (you can actually use jewelry to put your skill up to 120 and you will still get decent gains). It's always fun for me to look for that perfect pet, and getting skill gains along the way is a nice bonus.

Once you tame a cu sidhe you don't want to keep, you sic it on another cu sidhe or two, and then release it before it dies. That way you also get the loot. I wrote a little story about how deliciously evil the whole process is some time ago. And if you are really lucky, you might even find a blaze cu sidhe. :)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can also try timber wolves near the trinsic gate. These will take you to 60 at which time you can head to arctic island (ice island) and tame polar bears and walrus to the mid 70's where you can switch to snow leopards. You can also get some jewelry and bumping taming up to a level where you can find a good amount of spawn for that level. Using jewelry to get you to 60 wouldn't be bad so you can head to arctic island.
This is what I did, and it worked out very well.

Since the character I trained didn't start out with taming, I started dagger island with 45 skill and a +15 taming bracelet. I switched down to +10 and +5 every time my skill got to 68 shown skill. Since I could do it all standing basically in one spot, it saved running time.

And I could donate all the pets to the zoo.

J

Jlapps

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I actually found a small rune library that had spots for forest ostards and horses. The spots were about 2 minutes travel apart lol, in the Lost Lands. So, I'm taming there now. There's a huge plethora of tameables, between the ostards, horses, llamas, hinds, timber wolves, and bears. I'm at 58 taming now, and at 60 I'll use said rune library to hop to Ice Isle to tame polar bears. I'll definately use these suggestions as I continue to raise my skill, too :) Thanks again!

E

El_Cid

Hey everyone!

When I Gmed so many moons ago, thats what I worked at that level, T2A stuff, then went to Ice

J

[JD]

This site tells you exactly what to tame at any particular level of taming:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/anim.php

Choose
-Sorted by, Taming
-Success 0 Pretames
-Enter your Taming/Lore
-Click Go

The way it works is you want to tame creatures with 50% chance of success. Any more and its too easy you will get less often gains. Any less and it will be too hard - and you only gain from successes.

If you have reached 60 taming by the time I'm posting, Polar Bears and Walrus have exactly 50% chance to be tamed at that skill level. So you are on the right track by heading to Ice Island/Deceit area.

Now, sometimes you will run into taming levels where there aren't enough of that creature, or they aren't worth taming because they are too hard. In those cases, have some +taming jewelry handy to bump yourself up past that rough patch so you can tame plentiful, easy to tame stuff again.

Taming is unfortunately boring, repetitive, and not rewarding until the very end. They should have made it more rewarding at intermediate levels. I gave up at 89 taming and use jewels. Would rather have fun than raise this skill any more.

J

Jlapps

This site tells you exactly what to tame at any particular level of taming:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/anim.php

Choose
-Sorted by, Taming
-Success 0 Pretames
-Enter your Taming/Lore
-Click Go

The way it works is you want to tame creatures with 50% chance of success. Any more and its too easy you will get less often gains. Any less and it will be too hard - and you only gain from successes.

If you have reached 60 taming by the time I'm posting, Polar Bears and Walrus have exactly 50% chance to be tamed at that skill level. So you are on the right track by heading to Ice Island/Deceit area.

Now, sometimes you will run into taming levels where there aren't enough of that creature, or they aren't worth taming because they are too hard. In those cases, have some +taming jewelry handy to bump yourself up past that rough patch so you can tame plentiful, easy to tame stuff again.

Taming is unfortunately boring, repetitive, and not rewarding until the very end. They should have made it more rewarding at intermediate levels. I gave up at 89 taming and use jewels. Would rather have fun than raise this skill any more.
Yep, I've been using the UO taming info extensively :) It's not so much finding creatures, and finding the creatures' locations. I'm well on my way now though, at 66 taming. Getting a little less from the bears - at 70, I'll probably throw on my taming ring and bracelet (puts me to 95 taming) and go tame bulls or another easily located creature around 50% success chance. I also used said jewels to tame a pair of Bake Kitsune, which I'm going to bond and hunt with when I burn out. I only raise taming 3 -5% a day, so that I don't get burnt out on it :p Thanks a ton for the info though, both to the person I quoted and everyone else!

E

El_Cid

Yep, I've been using the UO taming info extensively :) It's not so much finding creatures, and finding the creatures' locations. I'm well on my way now though, at 66 taming. Getting a little less from the bears - at 70, I'll probably throw on my taming ring and bracelet (puts me to 95 taming) and go tame bulls or another easily located creature around 50% success chance. I also used said jewels to tame a pair of Bake Kitsune, which I'm going to bond and hunt with when I burn out. I only raise taming 3 -5% a day, so that I don't get burnt out on it :p Thanks a ton for the info though, both to the person I quoted and everyone else!
Congrats on breaking that lock and good luck moving forward Have fun thats the main thing!:thumbup1:

U

uoBuoY

I also used said jewels to tame a pair of Bake Kitsune, which I'm going to bond and hunt with when I burn out.
Very, very smart! You're going to hunt for keeper pets eventually so why not during training? Try to do this whenever possible. Training Taming is extremely boring and takes forever. Do whatever you can to make it palatable.

I remember at one time I was Taming Gamans. I'd tame 5 and take them to hunt Tsuki Wolves. Stupid...but it was great Vet/strategy training, a little gold but, most important, broke up the boredom!

O

Old Man of UO

Very, very smart! You're going to hunt for keeper pets eventually so why not during training? ...
This is a very good point. It gets you familiar with a creature's stats, and you never know when you are going to come across a truly excellent pet. It would be a shame to kill off a keeper during training because you didn't know.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Very, very smart! You're going to hunt for keeper pets eventually so why not during training? Try to do this whenever possible. Training Taming is extremely boring and takes forever. Do whatever you can to make it palatable.
Well this is what I've said many times. The key to painless training as a tamer is multitasking. Don't do just one thing, even if it makes the training go a little bit slower. That was why I had no problem using jewels to raise my taming skill, something you generally don't want to do when trying to maximize skill gains, so that I could go farm cu sidhe when I was training taming. I have yet to find that elusive blaze cu sidhe, but I did end up with one of the best pets in my stable - a plain cu sidhe that is one of the best I've ever seen anywhere.

And when you are tired of farming for one particular pet, go farm another one. There are lots of different pets you can farm for and they all have situational strengths, and with taming jewels, and with imbuing especially it isn't too hard to switch around your skill+ items to maximize your skill gains depending on what you are taming. And the more practice you get actually taming, the better you will get at it. And selling good quality pets can be very lucrative, and even if you don't sell them, the karma and good will you gain by giving good quality pets to your friends or players that can't afford to spend a lot of gold on a pet, or who don't have the time to spend farming for a stable, is also precious.

J

[JD]

It was so nice of them to add Lower Boura and Bake Kitsune. Two very nice pets to have during low level training to allow you to hunt!

You'll end up keeping at least one Kitsune so keep upgrading til you find a good one. And if you find good Lower Boura you can actually have it transferred to any human character, best used on someone who can't summon but could kinda keep it alive or use it as a damage add. JOAT taming/lore is enough to control one.

J

Jlapps

Unfortunately, my money's kind of tight atm, so I don't have SA yet. It's going to be the next thing I buy though! In the meantime, my bake's bond in a few days. I'll be switching around between taming polar bears / other stuff, training the kitsunes and dragon hunting. A friend and I are playing together a lot, and he's building a sampire, so I'm sure I'll pick him up a lesser hiryu mount sometime. I'll have to work with invis-taming, too. I'm using a mage-tamer template right now :)

On a side note, hunting dragons is a fun non-tamer related activity to break up monotony. At 80-90 magery, with no dragon slayer, the regular ones are a fun fight. The greaters just eat me :( I've gone through at least half a dozen giant beetles between Destard and random really bad luck. (I don't wait for beetles to bond because they're easy for me to re-acquire and take too many slots since I'm not a craftsman).

L

Lucky Lucy

If you have the expansion.

There are a TON of horses and rideable lama right next to the Termur moongate.

When you want to 'ditch them' just sick them on a toxic thingy.

I just went through the 50 phase there.