• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Strippers, potato chips inspire Ig Nobel winners

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some things of interest ... maybe.

Strippers, potato chips inspire Ig Nobel winners

Duke University behavioral economist Dan Ariely won an Ig Nobel for his study that found more expensive fake medicines work better than cheaper fake medicines.

"When you expect something to happen, your brain makes it happen," Ariely said.

Ariely spent three years in a hospital after suffering third-degree burns over 70% of his body. He noticed some burn patients who woke in the night in extreme pain often went right back to sleep after being given a shot. A nurse confided to him the injections were often just saline solution.

He says his work has implications for the way drugs are marketed. People often think generic medicine is inferior. But gussy it up a bit, change the name, make it appear more expensive, and maybe it will work better, he said.

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well the nurse by law can not give out that kind of information to a non relative. So she was lieing to him. This goes to show how sad society has become that they waste time with studies like these instead of important stuff. Like hmmm say curing aids or other stds, cancers, global warming, dumb arse people being pushed thru school even though they are failing because the teachers don't want to deal with them. The list goes on and on.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well the nurse by law can not give out that kind of information to a non relative. So she was lieing to him.
I used to work in a hospital, I currently work in a medical office, and I am familiar with the HIPPA laws. And let me just say one thing, laws or not, people talk. I would not be a bit surprised if that nurse did tell him that. I have never met a nurse/doctor/staff member/other misc healthcare employee who hasn't said something to someone that they shouldn't have. It's really not that far fetched, happens more than you would realize. Nobody really cares about it, unless specific details about the patient (name, insurance info, personal info, medications, diagnosis, prognosis etc) are given. But a nurse just telling someone that they give saline as a plecebo is nothing major.