• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Streamer Spotlight: Lewpac

Stratics News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran

Name: Lewpac
Channels: twitch.tv/lewpac / youtube.com/user/lewpac22
General Streaming Schedule: Monday-Friday, EU Timezone (exact schedule here)
Main Focus: Energetic, entertaining Albion content of all varieties

Let's address an important point right off the bat: you not only stream on your own channels, but are also a longtime host of AlbionTV. How do you balance your experiences as a streamer and competitive player with the objectivity that being an official Albion streamer requires?

People often joke that there are two different Lewpacs, the polite one on AOTV and Youtube, and the raw, uncut and unfiltered version you get on my Stream. While the viewing experience is very different I try to keep guild politics and rivalry trash talk out of my stream as much as possible, and focus on a fun, entertaining environment.

Sometimes I embrace the drama as it's good fun and great for views but I try to only deal in real solid information and evidence rather than rumors.

That said, if you come to my stream with the ‘Guild X is the best and Guild Y sucks’ attitude and contribute nothing else to chat, best case scenario you will get banned, worst case I will roast you off the face of the planet.

How did you get into streaming? How long have you been an Albion streamer?

I never actually wanted to be a streamer specifically. I was trying to convince some mates to buy a new game I was playing, so I quickly fired up a stream to show it to them. I had no overlays or panels or anything, my friends were watching and suddenly randoms started joining and chatting, I think I hit 20 viewers in my first stream and to put it simply, I was hooked.

Just over a year later I was partnered with Twitch which opened up a ton of opportunities to me, such as sponsorships, esports hosting, and becoming the Resident DJ for Twitch London.

When it comes to Albion, I was an Albion backer since Alpha, but never played much because of the wipes. I started playing Albion properly and streaming it in the final beta. Shortly after I started GvGing, I got put in touch with SBI about AlbionTV. I submitted an audition and the rest is history. Two years down the line I’m a full-time content creator in Albion, having the time of my life and enjoying seeing the game grow and the direction SBI is taking it in.

How is streaming Albion different from streaming other games?

Albion is a tough one because it's so different to many games. There is a lot of sensitive information that your guild or alliance won’t want streamed, so you have to hide so much while trying to keep your viewers engaged to they stick around. Likewise you don’t want to get sniped in PvP zones so you try to hide that information too.

On top of that it's got a lot of downtime or slower content which relies on the broadcaster to make it interesting. Streaming GvGs is great content and good for views but they last 10-20 minutes at a time which is not enough to gain good exposure or build a community.

What is your general approach to streaming? Do you plan out activities in advance, or head out into the world and see what happens?

I start each day with a rough plan of what I want to do or achieve in that day, however PvP opportunities spring up (mage raids or ZvZs) or something changes so I have to be fluid when it comes to what I am doing.

Do you have a favorite stream, or a favorite moment you can share from one of your streams?

Launch day was wild, I never thought I would get 14 people watch a stream of mine let alone 14,000! I was honestly shaking with nerves the whole time.

Any ideas of new content for future streams?

I want to do more challenges on my free-to-play character, to show the community what can truly be achieved without spending money or getting guild help. And I hope to be GvGing a lot more regularly in Season 6!

In general I’ll just keep trying to give the most varied content experience available for my viewers, doing everything from GvGs, ganking and ZvZ, to trading, gathering, farming and anything in between.

Many of your videos take a very structured approach to the game, covering everything from new player tutorials to meta snapshots to advanced leveling guides. With so much ongoing, high-level analysis of the game taking place, do you still find time to try out new weapons, builds, and gameplay styles - i.e. to play just for fun?

I sometimes mess around, mainly in the Arena. I made a point of unlocking everything in the game at T4, then making a house on my island with a 4.3 version of every weapon and armour in the game, so I can play any build I want. I haven’t come up with any new metas yet though!

Do you have any advice or tips for other players who are considering being Albion streamers?

1. Be consistent. People need to know when you will be online to become regulars.

2. Try to vary your activities in-game, to both keep your stream from going stale and yourself from burning out. You have to make even the mundane activities seem exciting!

3. Stand out from the crowd. There were 2.2 million broadcasters on Twitch over the last year, so simply clicking ‘go live’ no longer cuts it. Utilise all social media and other content outlets to grow (Twitter, Instagram, Youtube).

Anything else to add?

Just a thanks to all the community and to Albion/Sandbox for putting me in a position to be a full-time content creator. I feel blessed to have such a great job!

Can you share some of your favorite clips with us?

DONKEY CHARGE:

NOOB SURGE:

GVG MIND GAMES (FAKE MOUNTING):

Continue reading...