• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Stone Fish

spamspamspamspam

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, I have a 120 fisherman, and bought 1,000 charges of bait to catch a Stone Fish. I head off to Papua and have to-date used 700 charges of the bait, but still no Stone Fish! I am wearing the fishing suit, and fishing in deep water. Is this just how it is, or does someone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Sadly that is just how it goes. It was explained to us at one point how the fishing suit added like a .03% chance or some such thing.. and the bait added like a .07% increased chance.... I could be off on those numbers a little because it was a long time ago, but ain't TOO far off on them. Some of the legendary fish take forever to catch. Took my around 16 hours to actually catch a Winter Dragonfish, which was the most difficult one for me so far...

wish ya luck though.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand the whole concept of rare but UO takes it way too far. The devs must think that everybody that plays has a lot of time on their hands. In a perfect world I would sit home and play UO all day long. As it stands I have to work, I am starting a small business and I actually enjoy exercising. I am sure many others fit in the same bracket as well.The game is set up to benefit those that play unattended. Sad but true!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think that when they came up with the bait some of them were thinking of an additive bonus, but it got implemented as a multiplicative bonus.

So (pulling numbers out of my arse, I don't know the real numbers)

While they think, and most people were expecting, a 0.5% chance increased to 3.5% by a bait bonus of 3%

the actual bonus is 1.03 x 0.5%, resulting in a 0.515% chance.

After all, these were the same devs (not even, really, the current ones, but the ones from a decade ago) that thought that humans had a flat 40% of colored ore, and that the 20% Elf bonus would make it 60%, when in actuality every resource square has its OWN percentage of colored ore, independent of race, and that the elf 20% bonus was multiplying that, so that if a human was 30% colored for a specific spot, the elf would be 36% colored, etc. I don't think any of the current devs were in their current positions when ML, KR and HS were in development.