• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Steam vs Origin: "You Can't Buy Battlefield 3 on Steam"

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I read this article today: Steam Vs. Origin stories - Kotaku

This is pretty profound news in the world of PC digital distribution. I know I'll be paying close attention as the release date for BF3 draws closer to see if both sides try to work things out and who, if anyone, compromises. In the short term, this seems like it may hurt EA more then Valve, but the long term consequences could possibly go the other way. Any thoughts?

F

Fayled Dhreams

This is pretty profound news in the world of PC digital distribution. I know I'll be paying close attention as the release date for BF3 draws closer to see if both sides try to work things out and who, if anyone, compromises. In the short term, this seems like it may hurt EA more then Valve, but the long term consequences could possibly go the other way. Any thoughts?

profound ... :lol:

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Definition 3a: characterized by intensity of feeling or quality.

C

Capn Kranky

most folks commenting on ArsTechnica are not gonna do BF3 unless it's on Steam because of DRM and other related issues and how they are handled.

Will be interesting for sure.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Definition 3a: characterized by intensity of feeling or quality.
WOW! really?
:talktothehand: NO ... there is NO profundity in or about that article.
none
zero
zip-por-ee-no

It is CLEARLY stated IN the article WHY EA chose to "not distribute via Steam"
here:
"The service limits our ability to deliver patches and downloadable content directly to players. No other download service has adopted these practices. At EA, supporting our players is a top priority, and we are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our own consumers."
Not a damn thing "profound" and or monumental or paradigm shifting involved in that simple explanation.

"Profound" would be IF EA actually manages to GET stuffs to UO ...
in a timely and simple/direct manner ... without bugs ... with the right graphics ... properly and concisely communicated to the Players of UO ... PRIOR TO implementation (as scheduled) AFTER a full range of bench, beta, field(origin shard) TESTING and verification.

:thumbsup: that is(would be) "profound"

The article AIN'T ... :danceb:

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This thread is not about UO. It's about Battlefield 3 and Steam Vs. Origin. Please discuss UO in one of the many UO forums on Stratics. Now, personal off-topic issues aside, Steam currently has 2.25 million concurrent users (and many more subscribers), so that is who EA will be denying their product to with this decision. Will enough of them go outside of Steam to buy it to make the decision worth it? That's the risk. EA has made no secret they hope to outsell Call of Duty this time around, this decision seems counterproductive to that goal.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please, in future, refrain from posting solely to disagree with things that aren't even secondary to the subject.
Spelling, grammar, punctuation, word choice. All of these things are encouraged, but criticising a person's decisions regarding any of these things (especially as a primary or sole purpose of your post) is not awesome.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Whoa newts!

One at a time ...

Says you.
Indeed, and in light of Cirno's following post
I did indeed say that, I was infact: AWARE, that I had posted it ...
May I take your two word reply as agreement? disagreement?
Am I missing some subtle and deft contribution to the flow of the threads purpose and direction?

I await your community building clarifications.

This thread is not about UO. It's about Battlefield 3 and Steam Vs. Origin. Please discuss UO in one of the many UO forums on Stratics. Now, personal off-topic issues aside, Steam currently has 2.25 million concurrent users (and many more subscribers), so that is who EA will be denying their product to with this decision. Will enough of them go outside of Steam to buy it to make the decision worth it? That's the risk. EA has made no secret they hope to outsell Call of Duty this time around, this decision seems counterproductive to that goal.
Oh dear, apparently you felt that my Use of UO as a singular example of how EA >might< be capable of a "profound" revelation or action, by changing the commonly accepted neglect OF that specific game (UO) ... well ...
Sorry you missed out on that fine point and went wildly tangental with assumptions that EA is somehow denying Steam users access and opportunity to participate in the yet to be released game of "Battlefield 3".
I can imagine however, that some small number of Steam users >may choose< to (as you put it) "go outside of Steam to buy it to make the decision worth it? "
EA, after all, IS presenting that their "method" (ORIGIN) of distribution >may possibly be< Superior to Steam in One regard ... EA owns the ORIGIN method ...
*ahem*
My my ... one wonders what possible success EA might have had ... without Steam.
Though, I would pose for consideration ... EA just >might be< looking to steal market share FROM Steam For EAs ORIGIN digital distribution sytem ...
Sales and Distribution being of some small interest(see: fast growing revenue stream) to EA ... *cough*

profound ...
Please, in future, refrain from posting solely to disagree with things that aren't even secondary to the subject.
Spelling, grammar, punctuation, word choice. All of these things are encouraged, but criticising a person's decisions regarding any of these things (especially as a primary or sole purpose of your post) is not awesome.
Puzzling, to say the least ... you perhaps misread and misinterpret my brevity, in this instance.
There was NO "critique" of his choice of profound ...The "one word" was merely lol'ed via animated Gif.
nothing more.
Rather "polite" considering it offered time for reflection as to what MAY be seen as "funny" about its choice ... all the while mindful OF the particular penchant for some posters to occasionally "punch up" their postings with liberal dashes of hyperbole ... so, no sir/maam as the case may be ...
'tweren't "soley" for the purpose of disagreement (it >also< offered time for reflection )
As I may suggest now, perhaps if you had taken time to reflect, at your leasiure, there being no "speed requirement" or requirement AT ALL ... to "reply" and/or READ my contribution ...
*ahem*
YOU >may not have< decided that I was in some fashion trolling the easily awe struck Vlaude (and I use "easily awe struck" because he DID insist that the >easily< answered reason why (one possible / plausible reason EA "might" choose to "deny" Steam users access TO BF3 was open to discovery within the linked post he provided
(see above) and/or a reading of EAs actual "mission statement" ... ie. "distribution" ) *counts paren's* ... as >qualifying< for the use of "profound"
*shakes hands to loosen arthritic joints*

YOU >may not have< decided to ... but didn't and did and done and here we are ...
Syrus two wording a challenge and Vlaude pretending to lecture about form and propriety ... IN OT (ironically profound? yes? no? :lol: )
and Yaself prematurely discharging an unwarranted "warning" (thanks though for the reminder, I shall more frequently report those that do that which you caution ME against ...
AND, thanks for the opportunity to 'splain m'self)
characterized by intensity of feeling or quality ...
nope ... NOT there in that article ... For ME ...

I guess I must be old and jaded ... I chose, still, to believe that the "fault" lay in those whom >rush to get a word in<
... them what don't pause to reflect on what and how they "participate" in the show and tell of OT ...

o'well
Thems whats gots whiskers

Burma Shave'm :danceb:

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fayled, just because it's an off-topic forum does not mean every thread should stray off topic from its original subject. You're not in the position on the forums to deem for others which threads are worthy subjects of discussion and which aren't. Leave that to the moderators. Just because you have nothing relevant to add to a topic doesn't mean you have to enter the thread with jabs and attempts to derail it. It seems to me judging by your posts in this thread that you have little knowledge of the subject chosen and therefore don't have much to add to it. Yes, EA wants to compete with Steam, both are rich businesses that want to get richer. EA is also trying to put their best selling FPS franchise up against CoD, the incumbent FPS franchise leader (and who will be releasing their game Modern Warfare 3 around the same time as BF3). Is a statement like "You can't buy Battlefield 3 on Steam" this close to release going to help or hurt sales and the goals they have set for the game? I'm sure EA is still assessing that themselves. Perhaps you didn't catch that after saying the word profound, which set you off at the beginning (God only knows where you've taken it from there), I said in the world of PC digital distribution. This isn't geopolitics we're discussing, it's the way people buy and play video games online. In that world, Steam is a major player and BF3, as the article says is a title of "no small consequence." But why does all this need to be explained to you and not anyone else who commented in the thread? Bringing UO into the mix only makes you seem like you have a bone to pick with EA, one that isn't welcome in the thread. Please do yourself a favor and stop posting in this thread which you have little to contribute to other than airing out dirty laundry in public. All further posts you make of this nature will be ignored, and hopefully deleted (which is up to the moderators).

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fayled, just because it's an off-topic forum does not mean every thread should stray off topic from its original subject. You're not in the position on the forums to deem for others which threads are worthy subjects of discussion and which aren't. Leave that to the moderators.
Perhaps we can call this deviated subject closed, and return to the original.

If BF3 is not on Steam, I don't imagine I'll buy it.
Not especially for any antipathy towards EA or Origin, but because I don't want to have to juggle digital distribution services based on whichever game I want to play. I put having to do that behind me when I bought all my EADM games on steam, cheaper than I did at the EAstore, with more than a 2 month window in which I could download them in :)

F

Fayled Dhreams

IF ... a gamer wants a game ...
S/He'll get it, by hook, crook or piracy ... s/he will

Distribution >doesn't matter< to a gamer
>The GAME< is what a gamer is about.

EA will or will not
cover costs and turn a profit.

EA >might< be top of the pile in digital distribution ... 18-20 months at "top penetration".
EA >might< also get bought out by the Chinese ... their stock performance makes them a prime target.
EA >might also< Lose it all to ACTIVISION

:thumbsup: alla that ... Is NOT "Off Topic"
nor is it the pinpoint fine atomically limited "theme" of the thread
which is, IF I'm STILL reading it correctly:

Any thoughts?

>I HAD < thoughts ... reasoned and supported ...

>I'M< the one that derailed the thread ?

:talktothehand: /done

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow Fayled, I have seen some pointless posts in my time, but never have I seen so much typed and so little said.. please do us all a favor.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If BF3 is not on Steam, I don't imagine I'll buy it.
Not especially for any antipathy towards EA or Origin, but because I don't want to have to juggle digital distribution services based on whichever game I want to play. I put having to do that behind me when I bought all my EADM games on steam, cheaper than I did at the EAstore, with more than a 2 month window in which I could download them in :)
You aren't the only one saying this. One of the biggest things people like about Steam is the organization it offers. This also means it will be one less place where BF3 will be advertised. To be honest, I hate this decision by EA, but it could be worse ... like if Activision were publishing it...

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am a heavy steam user. I love having all my games, keys, etc all in one place, and the ability to reinstall on other PC's without digging for a key. The DRM doesn't bother me. I think it is a poor decision to not publish more games there.