• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Steam release imminent?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Okay, sorry, well, I've had people before on forums act like it's the rarest thing in the world to be a developer. It's tiresome. I'm actually a CTO now and currently we're developing a management game, originally EDU, but also going commercial.

Anyhow... I've always maintained UO still has boatloads of potential. Personally I'd ditch the EC client and pimp the hell out of CC, because the art is unique while EC just looks like terribly dated 3D. With some extra game play elements and lots of love, it could have millions of people playing again. I have some marketing ideas too. People don't go for just shiny stuff nowadays. Oh well..
A CTO wouldn't know. What programming languages do you know? Do you have any Game Design experience? Have you ever created a UI? Do you know what Unity is? What about OpenGL? C++? Anything relevant to being able to claim you have experience to know when something is possible? Right now you've claimed your opinion matters because you manage projects for a company that hasn't released anything. This is why I ask... because I can think critically. I'm not going to listen or give the same weight to an opinion of a person that says "I work in Game Development" if it's a CTO of a company with no production. Now if you were a Tarn Adams or Rimworld creator or Minecraft or some other indie or big name... sure, I'd be like "well you know better than me." But you're not. You're a CTO by your own account.

I don't just go around claiming I have a more valid opinion on writing because I write. It could just be some lolli fanfiction or something and I'm just touting it off like I'm some Best Selling author multiple times over and can write anything.

A CTO wouldn't know. What programming languages do you know? Do you have any Game Design experience? Have you ever created a UI? Do you know what Unity is? What about OpenGL? C++? Anything relevant to being able to claim you have experience to know when something is possible? Right now you've claimed your opinion matters because you manage projects for a company that hasn't released anything. This is why I ask... because I can think critically. I'm not going to listen or give the same weight to an opinion of a person that says "I work in Game Development" if it's a CTO of a company with no production. Now if you were a Tarn Adams or Rimworld creator or Minecraft or some other indie or big name... sure, I'd be like "well you know better than me." But you're not. You're a CTO by your own account.

I don't just go around claiming I have a more valid opinion on writing because I write. It could just be some lolli fanfiction or something and I'm just touting it off like I'm some Best Selling author multiple times over and can write anything.
I wrote that I am a CTO now, because I don't solely develop anymore. I have released games as an indie for which I did everything myself, worked on games for clients and I initially coded the game we're currently created myself for two months (prototype). Designed many games, created many UIs, etc. And have also had a web start-up and did other work in IT and AI. Yes, of course I know everything you mention. I don't have to list my pedigree here, the point is know what I am talking about. I am not some clueless product manager without technical skills or knowledge. Let's stop yanking this Markov chain.

Again, what's possible for UO beyond what the official build comes with has been amply demonstrated by amateurs and third parties, proven to work. One doesn't need to have to be a programmer God to understand it's doable. Never mind that updating the classic client was dubbed undoable, and then suddenly, they updated it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Okay, sorry, well, I've had people before on forums act like it's the rarest thing in the world to be a developer. It's tiresome. I'm actually a CTO now and currently we're developing a management game, originally EDU, but also going commercial.

Anyhow... I've always maintained UO still has boatloads of potential. Personally I'd ditch the EC client and pimp the hell out of CC, because the art is unique while EC just looks like terribly dated 3D. With some extra game play elements and lots of love, it could have millions of people playing again. I have some marketing ideas too. People don't go for just shiny stuff nowadays. Oh well..
I'd never go backwards to the CC... They can't put enough features into it to make it equal the EC... just not playable anymore in CC...

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just wanted to say if I were developing UO, I would somehow incorporate a level-based system for HP and other stats. Having only around 100 HP total is a bummer for a modern game.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

What are you even trying to say? What languages does Bleak know? Does Kyronix have game design experience? Has Mesanna ever created an UI? Does Misk know what QA means? IDK, but there is barely enough resources put into UO to keep enough subs up. By choice not by accident.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What are you even trying to say? What languages does Bleak know? Does Kyronix have game design experience? Has Mesanna ever created an UI? Does Misk know what QA means? IDK, but there is barely enough resources put into UO to keep enough subs up. By choice not by accident.
You're replying out of context. I said a Steam release is going to get torn apart by the reviews. He said all the issues I listed could easily be fixed. I said they haven't in 20 years so it's unlikely. Now you're asking me to defend the team that hasn't fixed it, which I originally used as a point. He used his experience as a now CTO as a dismissive to other opinions on the matter. His next post was also dismissive and I saw nothing more constructive in discussing it further with him.

As far as your post, I'm sure they may not "know" a programming language because even I still look **** up all the time, but there are definitely languages I list on my resume and am most comfortable with. I'm sure the Broadsword team is the same. For Mesanna, I definitely have seen examples of her knowing database management at the very least. When you interview for a programming positions they ask you to write code in the languages they need.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Of course those issues COULD be fixed, but it's just more likely that they WON'T be fixed, how many times have people reported bugs, year after year, they add it to the fabled 'list' but they never reach the top....then again maybe that's a good thing since they often break other stuff when they 'fix' things anyway! Small team, limited resources etc. etc. some of those bugs that seem to have been around forever are likely to remain around forever.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm not here to bring current UO players down or make them feel like things are hopeless. I just don't think it's doable. Especially not easily so. And from my experience, the only thing having more people would do is allow you to work across more priorities and not have this dream team fixing old issues.

If you can find enjoyment with the way UO currently is, I'm happy for you. I too find enjoyment from the way the game currently is... usually in spurts of 30-100 hours every year. I would not be hopeful that the issues I listed would be fixed except for maybe the Endless Journey one. I definitely don't think this is coming to Steam and if it were to come to Steam it'd just be a PR nightmare for both Broadsword and EA.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

THIS!
And adopt CUO as an awesome option, Fix the CUO bugs, and use CUO instead of EC. CUO is EC on steroids, and graphics and graphics options are hard to believe (except for a few bugs). Ooops I hope I have not sinned by talking about CUO here. If so please move me to UNLEASHED.:sad3: