• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Steam Developer Awards

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I play Path of Exile a good bit and read the PoE subreddit. Someone mentioned voting for best developer in the reddit and I thought, sure I'll go and vote for them right now because they are amazing developers and do a ton for their community.

Now, I know UO never made it onto steam. But honestly, even it if was - I would not vote for them as best developer. I really like this game, but I think a lot of that is ingrained nostalgia. Just hearing the 'stones' intro music is like a little puff on the pipe. But they need to be doing more. Every patch feels like a punch in the stomach of how little can we do to get by so that no one complains. Their connection with the community is incredibly poor, and no one has any clue what their vision for UO is (if one exists...).

It feels a lot like what the Diablo 3 seasons have turned into (nothing new each season).

How do you feel the developers are doing with their handling of UO?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Need someone who can take a look back at what worked, and what we enjoyed. And stop listening to the privileged few (thats all I can say on this).

And decide that fun is fun, grinds are grinds, and the convoluted grindy stuff we been getting lately just isnt it.
Times are tough, no one can play UO all day to get the new stuff, like we used to.
We are older, can't stay up all night playing and still work
We are more mature, and instead of spending 8 hours on Saturday trying to get that last drop, we spend it with kids and grandkids ( and the wife too...)
We are less patient, in waiting for things like ghost mobs, and the constant disconnects we get now, to be fixed. In 97 gaming and internet were new to us, we didn't mind the growing pains. But fer cryin' out loud, we should have outgrown these ongoing everlasting problems by now.
We get pissed at the seeming disconnect between what we want/need, and what the devs want to give us. Thanks tho, for the improved CC targetting-woulda been a lot nicer a few years ago when we have more people.
We are less inclined to forgive their silence and apparent disregard for any need of downward communication about new things, long range goals, are we even gonna be here in 2019, you know, that kinda stuff.

Now I'm leaving, before the :cheerleader: show up...

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I play Path of Exile a good bit and read the PoE subreddit. Someone mentioned voting for best developer in the reddit and I thought, sure I'll go and vote for them right now because they are amazing developers and do a ton for their community.

Now, I know UO never made it onto steam. But honestly, even it if was - I would not vote for them as best developer. I really like this game, but I think a lot of that is ingrained nostalgia. Just hearing the 'stones' intro music is like a little puff on the pipe. But they need to be doing more. Every patch feels like a punch in the stomach of how little can we do to get by so that no one complains. Their connection with the community is incredibly poor, and no one has any clue what their vision for UO is (if one exists...).

It feels a lot like what the Diablo 3 seasons have turned into (nothing new each season).

How do you feel the developers are doing with their handling of UO?
In a galaxy far, far away and long, long ago I might at least try to understand a screwup. Now my thinking is anything they do is simply a bandaid on crappy, undocumented code. That alone would make everything they touch turn to stuff that hits fans.

Soooo, the support for UO suxxors. Bigtime! I've said it before and I'll say it again: I have 40+ years programming, database admin, shift and project lead. I am more than willing to sign an NDA and then try to document some of the code as long as it is in source that I am familiar with.

@Bleak @Kyronix @Mesanna

ADDED: Please note I said nothing about any pay. I'm retired and am getting enough income already, thanks! Call it a gift, if you will.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Siege is full of players that still do just this, I don't know how they do it, but they do it.
Many of the players on Siege are from over the seas.... So it's day to them.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ADDED: Please note I said nothing about any pay. I'm retired and am getting enough income already, thanks! Call it a gift, if you will.
As nice as your offer is, I don't think they will ever accept volunteer contributions after the whole Counselors lawsuit.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As nice as your offer is, I don't think they will ever accept volunteer contributions after the whole Counselors lawsuit.
I agree, but I had to toss it in. I'd accept $1 as pay. See, I get 3 checks/month including Soc Sec. Between them I end up each year paying tax on them - even to state - because I break a limit on income as a retiree. And yes, there is Fed tax taken out - as much as 30% on Soc Sec alone. None of my income is state taxable ... until I break that limit. Hell, this year I was REQUIRED to start pulling from my 401K as well ... taxes will be a b*tch come April.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO is still UO.

Make it whatever you want.

Tis the beauty of it.

I will be here till it turns off.

Hopefully never.

Fills a niche and has loyal customers.

The Devs can't please everyone.

And they never please me totally.

But they often surprise me!

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah the results of that hair token in the store was a surprise to some people LOL!!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I think the current team could execute well, and the art has improved, if they were pointed in the right direction. Kinda like a special forces elite team dropped in the middle of a jungle with no information on what they're suppose to be doing there.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where you been?!?!?! Haven't heard from you in forever!!

** cancels the posting offering 89 gps and a rabbit as reward for information on the whereabouts of Capt Lucky**